No announcement yet.

The Big Easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnomes and Fays would love this location. I will continue to look at this and post more reasons and clues. This should be the general area to look. At E 1.5 a purple square, there seems to be two arches with red markings next to the one on the right. To me this is telling me it is not Langles Bridge and it is the one like it on Shell Island. The Peristyle to the east of Shell Island is also similar to an oval horse track shape. I will work on trying to confirm the measurements from the bridge. Many clues seem to have more than one meaning. To me there is no other place. I will continue to look at it and post my thoughts. Good Luck!

Comment

Let's continue. If some of you don't know I am referencing the art at the secret. pbworks.com. First I was wrong about E 1.5, It is the same bridge, just looking at it from opposite angles. C 1.75 a reddish brown square is very important. It is a collage of art and looks to have a red key at the top. This square is outlined with a circle that is the water. The center is the island. This is looking down from sky and towards the south. Bottom center is the arched bridge crossing the water. There is a 55 in the middle of the square. There are red track lines from the south of the bridge to the tree and tracks to the right. This is why I think it has to be measured from two points. On the right side of that square is a tree. There is a 22 at the bottom. Even if it is not 22 feet from bridge to tree, I would still go with that. But there are tracks that go from left to right giving you a different visual of 22 to the tree. The top of the clock is shaped like the bridge. Even looks like it has faint stones in it. B-9, Where the clock comes down and changes angle. The small red square has a red arch with red tracks leading down and towards you. There is a 55 next to these tracks. A-10 is a map looking down from sky. The Mask. There is a 3 on both sides of the pole below the chin and above the top finger. To me this is the large oak in the middle. The top finger seems to be pointing in the direction that would meet up with bridge measurement. Below the chin to the left on the clock is 22 with red tracks going left. To me this is measurement back to bridge, and standing on treasure looking east. In the dark part of the middle of the hand is a 55 and a 33 and an X. There is also an arched stone bridge below the bottom finger on pole. I can keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by Dezxman17 View Post
        Let's continue. If some of you don't know I am referencing the art at the secret. pbworks.com. First I was wrong about E 1.5, It is the same bridge, just looking at it from opposite angles. C 1.75 a reddish brown square is very important. It is a collage of art and looks to have a red key at the top. This square is outlined with a circle that is the water. The center is the island. This is looking down from sky and towards the south. Bottom center is the arched bridge crossing the water. There is a 55 in the middle of the square. There are red track lines from the south of the bridge to the tree and tracks to the right. This is why I think it has to be measured from two points. On the right side of that square is a tree. There is a 22 at the bottom. Even if it is not 22 feet from bridge to tree, I would still go with that. But there are tracks that go from left to right giving you a different visual of 22 to the tree. The top of the clock is shaped like the bridge. Even looks like it has faint stones in it. B-9, Where the clock comes down and changes angle. The small red square has a red arch with red tracks leading down and towards you. There is a 55 next to these tracks. A-10 is a map looking down from sky. The Mask. There is a 3 on both sides of the pole below the chin and above the top finger. To me this is the large oak in the middle. The top finger seems to be pointing in the direction that would meet up with bridge measurement. Below the chin to the left on the clock is 22 with red tracks going left. To me this is measurement back to bridge, and standing on treasure looking east. In the dark part of the middle of the hand is a 55 and a 33 and an X. There is also an arched stone bridge below the bottom finger on pole. I can keep going.
        Go
        Don't let me stop you..... DO you have GPS Coordinates? Also can you provide screen shots of these shells.... I'm not seeing them but I am also confused at 1.75, 2.5 etc.... Also I have a question on the Houston solve thread.... Just a theory!...

The Shells are a very interesting and extremely important Item.... Please help me see them.... I will PM you why after!
        Last edited by Coinaster; 08-11-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I will work on those screen shots. I have been busy this week. At M 2.5 just above the purple inside the sleeve. At the bottom of that square is the top of a shell. In that same bottom left corner is an N with an arrow pointing up. above that shell is a side view of open mouth shell. Also the top part of the shell is the bridge. So the N is pointing to the bridge and the W at the top of the square is telling me to go west. This art is like a picture you would see differently if you hold it at a different angle and what distance you look at it. A collage. I played around with zooming in and out at many different positions to get the best view. I think this was done on purpose and it does cause some confusion. Get yourself a really good magnifying glass, and 3d glasses also help to separate the colors. The shell at M6.5 to seven is shaped like a hand held fan. The kind you can spread out, kinda like an oriental paper fan that opens up. Try not to zoom in too much because the pixels blur the art. The top of that shell is also the arched bridge. Comes in two's. You have to look at it really good.

Comment

Ah Yes, I was looking too deep.... Thanks... You won't believe what I am fixing to PM you.... And as such, now I am really positive about my solve.... I had 3 locations that were possibilities, but I just narrowed them to one! I hope you will keep it confidential....
            Last edited by Coinaster; 08-12-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coinaster View Post
              Ah Yes, I was looking too deep.... Thanks... You won't believe what I am fixing to PM you.... And as such, now I am really positive about my solve.... I had 3 locations that were possibilities, but I just narrowed them to one! I hope you will keep it confidential....
              I will keep any info anyone wants to send confidential. I want somebody to find it.

Comment

Despite popular opinion, the city corresponding to Image 7 is not New Orleans, it's St. Louis, Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
                  Despite popular opinion, the city corresponding to Image 7 is not New Orleans, it's St. Louis, Missouri.
                  And there you go, off to Montana again, when everyone knows it was in Yellowstone. ;-)

Weird that I should happen to check this old topic just hours after you posted, but I'll have to disagree with you here, Zap. Check the street names in the upper left for "where jewels abound," and the name of the district in the lower right where the dog's head is. I think I've got a match here that can't be beat. If you zoom in on GE you'll see the moon and stars just where they should be -- a circular play area amidst scattered picnic tables. "Fifteen rows down to the ground" is the elevation at the top of the levee (15') down to sea level (Lake Pontchartrain). I'm pretty satisfied with where I want to check -- if I'm ever down there with a few hours to spare -- but I'm not in any rush and wouldn't much care if someone else got there first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	secret_pair.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	353925

Comment

Ahh, but you see, I've found the actual clock upon which the illustration is based. Out walking the dog, but I'll post it when I return. Even the handful of people who favor St. Louis had not found this clock, but were locked into St. Louis for other good (but not convincing) reasons. The clock changes that.

About the only substantive things in the illustration that match New Orleans are the "90," the French connection and the Harlequin mask (Mardi Gras). But 90 is the decimal longitude for BOTH cities, both cities have an obvious French connection, and the shape of the mask could just as easily be a match to the St. Louis Gateway Arch (upside down). The catenary arc is highlighted in ethereal blue -- a Palencar trademark in the three solved puzzles. The red and cyan checkerboard could be a nod to the iconic red and white checkerboard of Ralston-Purina, headquartered in St. Louis. These even collectively weren't enough to convince me of St. Louis. The clock changes that.

Comment

Okay, the clock. Let me start by saying that the 29 in the upper right didn't seem to have an obvious connection to either New Orleans or St. Louis, though I did note that if appended to the 90 as a decimal (90.29) it matches the longitude of Forest Park in St. Louis where the 1904 World's Fair was held. However, my feeling is Byron was more likely to give any coordinate clues as degrees and minutes rather than decimal degrees, so I write this off to coincidence.

The latitude of Forest Park (38) can be found in the upper left corner of the clock face if you tilt your head to the left: small "3" on its side next to the P of PRESERVATION, and a larger "8" adjacent to the "19" in the corner. Since Byron has used statues in prior solutions, I took a close look at the statue of Louis XIV on horseback in front of the St. Louis Art Museum. (You can argue that Louis XIV might be hinted at in the illustration by looking at the clock's Roman numerals that are visible on either side of the mask: IX and V. Flip the IX upside down and combine them: XIV.) The pedestal that King Louis rides on has contours similar to that on the edges of the clock in the illustration. But quite by accident, I discovered there is an antique clock inside the St. Louis Art Museum that is a dead ringer for the clock in the illustration: it's called the "Tall Clock":

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLAM_Tall_Clock.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	354077
                      Compare the clocks: same Roman numerals, same big full Moon above the clock dial, flowers in all four corners of the clock face (just the upper two corners of the illustration's clock face -- December narcissus flower), and extremely similar ornate hour hand. And now we come to the "29" that I mentioned above: it's there on the Tall Clock in the same location (used for the moon's phase -- 29 days in a lunar month). Finally, compare the triple arcs of wood at the top of the Tall Clock to the same in the illustration, as well as the curving inward slope and profile of the wood just below the clock face leading to the tall rectangular base.

There is one notable difference between the clocks: the Tall Clock has IIII for four o'clock, where as the illustration has IV.

Anyway, here's a zoomable link to the clock at SLAM:

https://www.slam.org/collection/objects/33451/

Comment

Nice work Zapster, that is a good rabbit hole. This hunt is so detailed that you can actually come up with legitimate rabbit hole solves. There are just too many clues in this one for it to not be New Orleans. I too have traveled the long road of rabbit chasing. It is fun to learn the history, but also a waist of time. After I posted the solve to this one I realized that the other bridge at city park could also be in play. It is in that area on the south side of city park. The horse track. The dueling oak. The statues at the park and the history are behind this one. Gunrunner pointed out some clues that I have not noticed. Even gives me more reason to believe I am right. I may dive back into this one if nobody wants to go look. Thanks for the input, and I will look closer at your info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dezxman17 View Post
                          Nice work Zapster, that is a good rabbit hole. This hunt is so detailed that you can actually come up with legitimate rabbit hole solves. There are just too many clues in this one for it to not be New Orleans.
                          If there are, I've yet to run across them. Nothing I've seen suggested as evidence for New Orleans is particularly compelling to me. 90 is about the only solid clue, but it works for both cities, while I've also got 38 in the illustration to cover the latitude.

St. Louis has an obvious checkerboard explanation that New Orleans lacks, and the Gateway Arch (St. Louis' most recognized landmark) is reasonably found in the illustration, highlighted in Palencar blue. The shape of Missouri is secreted in the checkerboard pattern (mirror-reversed) in far more convincing fashion than the absurd claim that the wolf shape a couple squares below mimics Louisiana.

For a city to have all these features represented AND happen to house a historical clock in their Art Museum that matches the clock in the illustration in nearly every major detail sounds to me a bit beyond a simple rabbit hole.

Comment

Working...
                          X