Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who or What Is Brown?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Tyke (MySon) View Post

    Bob, apologies it took me so long to reply; I was thinking. And as I know pals (aka. pal-in-dromes) are known, among other things, for their patience, I figured you wouldn't mind.

    I'm not the first to consider "Important Literature" as a {potential} connecting point to "Brown." Take the 900 years remark; Fenn seems to conjure a fable-like "timelessness" to his Chase.

    My question is -- has anyone else noticed certain similarities between the world Fenn has crafted and that of "Tolkien?" I know it may sound nerdy / foolish, but as we consider social labels which might be ascribed to such outlandish thinking, we should all keep in mind what the name "Tolkien" actually means (and if certain labels have been placed upon you and perhaps bothered you as a "treasure hunter," well, take comfort in knowing you're in fine company.)

    Click image for larger version Name:	Tolkien name.PNG Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	157951

    In any event, in trying to track down the HoB, I couldn't help noticing some uncanny parallels between the images the Chase conjures in my mind, and the HoB Tolkien raised in The Hobbit. Whether the connections are intentional or not, to me, is of little consequence.

    If the below doesn't help you with your solve, may it paint a magical picture in your mind, at least momentarily.


    http://www.henneth-annun.net/places_view.cfm?plid=327

    WWWH - MISTy Mountains
    HoB -- literally a Home / Hall
    Brown -- shape shifter named Beorn(proper, hence capital), which means "bear"
    in the Wood -- Mirkwood / also a home made of wood / logs
    ++++ just read it and look for the correlations ...


    Cheers & Happy Hunting.

    This isn't something that would be commonly understood or known.

    Brown is capitalized because it needs to be. That's all folks.
    To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

    Comment


    • #17
      Some wood is brown (in Africa, anyway). But also in Wuhan, believe it or not.

      Comment


      • #18
        for me brown is a town first, if not my second choice is a home.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
          It seems likely to me (I could be wrong) that one might leap frog the first clues and go for the hoB .
          IMO, anything is possible but highly unlikely with this poem. You probably have a higher chance at winning the Powerball jackpot than to skip the few first clues and locate 'home of Brown'. On the other hand, your chances are significantly higher to skip the 'home of Brown' and go directly to the 'blaze'.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by MobyDic12345 View Post

            IMO, anything is possible but highly unlikely with this poem. You probably have a higher chance at winning the Powerball jackpot than to skip the few first clues and locate 'home of Brown'. On the other hand, your chances are significantly higher to skip the 'home of Brown' and go directly to the 'blaze'.
            No, no, no.

            Fenn specifically kept directing people to go back to the first clue because without it, you cannot proceed. You cannot guess your way through the poem, you have to KNOW. When you know, it's a lot of work getting through each clue, but Fenn is absolutely honest with us when he's said it gets easier......easier, however, is relative/subjective - figuring out the first clue is absolutely the hardest part - and when you do, and you know it, it's then a matter of time.
            To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

            Comment


            • #21
              I'll add you have to KNOW why your answer to the first clue is the answer - as he's said, some have figured it out, but didn't understand why.....you have to know why you got the answer you did to proceed.
              To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

              Comment


              • #22
                You will not know who or what Brown is until you have the chest.

                Comment


                • #23
                  "Brown" is the surname on the return address of about 1200 letters Mr. Fenn received between 2010 and 2014 pleading for him to place a disclaimer on digging up "structures" ...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
                    It seems likely to me (I could be wrong) that one might leap frog the first clues and go for the hoB. I really doubt that it refers to brown trout, brown slides, or color in general (except perhaps as used in a place name). As others repeatedly have noted Brown is capitalized. IMO, for Fenn to capitalize the word when it should not be capitalized would not be an error in English composition but a deliberate deception within the poem.

                    So, it seems to me to be a proper name, either of a place or a person. Place names with Brown in them, unfortunately, are everywhere. If it is a place name then IMO it is going to be very hard to pin down. But places are not usually thought of as having homes (unless the place name uses a person's name, thereby referencing the person's home). On the other hand various persons have been suggested, e.g., ranger Gary Brown, artist Grafton Brown, or the unsinkable Molly Brown. But, given that Fenn seems to think the chase might last centuries, I wonder if one should be looking for more obscure persons named Brown?
                    Wow Mr Bob great post I think your thinking is dead on keep it up your on the right path of thinking anyway! As far as Brown goes I dont think it's possible to figure who he or she is especially if its gonna last as long as Mr Fenn thinks it's possible anyway great post my friend!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jacbNimble View Post

                      Wow Mr Bob great post I think your thinking is dead on keep it up your on the right path of thinking anyway! As far as Brown goes I dont think it's possible to figure who he or she is especially if its gonna last as long as Mr Fenn thinks it's possible anyway great post my friend!
                      Trying to figure out Brown, without knowing the first clue is folly. You cannot guess Brown, nor identify it, unless you have the correct wwwh.
                      To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
                        It seems likely to me (I could be wrong) that one might leap frog the first clues and go for the hoB. I really doubt that it refers to brown trout, brown slides, or color in general (except perhaps as used in a place name). As others repeatedly have noted Brown is capitalized. IMO, for Fenn to capitalize the word when it should not be capitalized would not be an error in English composition but a deliberate deception within the poem.

                        So, it seems to me to be a proper name, either of a place or a person. Place names with Brown in them, unfortunately, are everywhere. If it is a place name then IMO it is going to be very hard to pin down. But places are not usually thought of as having homes (unless the place name uses a person's name, thereby referencing the person's home). On the other hand various persons have been suggested, e.g., ranger Gary Brown, artist Grafton Brown, or the unsinkable Molly Brown. But, given that Fenn seems to think the chase might last centuries, I wonder if one should be looking for more obscure persons named Brown?
                        If a person named Brown is more obscure, then it could take a long time to find their home, fer shur. I found a place where Brown is buried. Would that count as (that) Brown's (current) home?
                        Last edited by Old Pilot; 05-24-2020, 01:36 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by RahRah View Post
                          I'll add you have to KNOW why your answer to the first clue is the answer - as he's said, some have figured it out, but didn't understand why.....you have to know why you got the answer you did to proceed.
                          Now you've got me thinking about something related to the military establishment. But it won't change my solve.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Trovesearcher1 View Post
                            You will not know who or what Brown is until you have the chest.
                            If I (some day) have the chest, I won't much give a rat's patootie about who or what Brown is/was. But thank you for all your contribution(s) to this forum and, more broadly, to this treasure hunt. Now
                            you can consider yourself paid/given homage (to).

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

                              Now you've got me thinking about something related to the military establishment. But it won't change my solve.
                              Pardon the interruption but r u looking to change it? I mean has it come to that?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

                                If a person named Brown is more obscure, then it could take a long time to find their home, fer shur. I found a place where Brown is buried. Would that count as (that) Brown's (current) home?
                                Homage to the rhetorical paid in full

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X