Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who or What Is Brown?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who or What Is Brown?

    It seems likely to me (I could be wrong) that one might leap frog the first clues and go for the hoB. I really doubt that it refers to brown trout, brown slides, or color in general (except perhaps as used in a place name). As others repeatedly have noted Brown is capitalized. IMO, for Fenn to capitalize the word when it should not be capitalized would not be an error in English composition but a deliberate deception within the poem.

    So, it seems to me to be a proper name, either of a place or a person. Place names with Brown in them, unfortunately, are everywhere. If it is a place name then IMO it is going to be very hard to pin down. But places are not usually thought of as having homes (unless the place name uses a person's name, thereby referencing the person's home). On the other hand various persons have been suggested, e.g., ranger Gary Brown, artist Grafton Brown, or the unsinkable Molly Brown. But, given that Fenn seems to think the chase might last centuries, I wonder if one should be looking for more obscure persons named Brown?
    Last edited by Bob823; 05-23-2019, 08:25 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
    It seems likely to me (I could be wrong) that one might leap frog the first clues and go for the hoB. I really doubt that it refers to brown trout, brown slides, or color in general (except perhaps as used in a place name). As others repeatedly have noted Brown is capitalized. IMO, for Fenn to capitalize the word when it should not be capitalized would not be an error in English composition but a deliberate deception within the poem.

    So, it seems to me to be a proper name, either of a place or a person. Place names with Brown in them, unfortunately, are everywhere. If it is a place name then IMO it is going to be very hard to pin down. But places are not usually thought of as having homes (unless the place name uses a person's name, thereby referencing the person's home). On the other hand various persons have been suggested, e.g., ranger Gary Brown, artist Grafton Brown, or the unsinkable Molly Brown. But, given that Fenn seems to think the chase might last centuries, I wonder if one should be looking for more obscure persons named Brown?
    In the words of Forrest. "If I told you what HOB was then you would go right to it".

    Comment


    • #3
      Logic would suggest that each clue depends on the one(s) before it (otherwise you'd be able to ignore preceding clues), so I would very much doubt being able to leapfrog to hoB. But when your WWWH is nailed down, a little bit of lateral thinking goes a long way with hoB.

      IMO, solving this conundrum is a huge part of the puzzle. We're not just talking about, right start point, right canyon, right hoB etc. etc. Most people seem to think that one thing leads obviously to another and so they study the maps looking for the right collection of place/feature names. That's how I viewed it a few years ago, too. But when you take time out to analyze it, there's not much thinking required for that. FF designed a puzzle that requires an immense amount of thought, not a lucky progression of driving/walking. To be precise enough to find a 10" box requires a completely different approach.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by voxpops View Post
        Logic would suggest that each clue depends on the one(s) before it (otherwise you'd be able to ignore preceding clues), so I would very much doubt being able to leapfrog to hoB. But when your WWWH is nailed down, a little bit of lateral thinking goes a long way with hoB.

        IMO, solving this conundrum is a huge part of the puzzle. We're not just talking about, right start point, right canyon, right hoB etc. etc. Most people seem to think that one thing leads obviously to another and so they study the maps looking for the right collection of place/feature names. That's how I viewed it a few years ago, too. But when you take time out to analyze it, there's not much thinking required for that. FF designed a puzzle that requires an immense amount of thought, not a lucky progression of driving/walking. To be precise enough to find a 10" box requires a completely different approach.
        You may be right. But Fenn has said that one should "study the maps" so to speak. And he said one could walk to the TC from the hoB, indicating to me that hoB is a geographical place. I am aware that some posters here believe they have a unique spot for their answer to WWWH, but other than the supposed Tawa connection I know of no other unique location described by an interpretation of where WWWH. Clearly, according to Fenn, someone or ones know(s) WWWH. But most of us don't. And furthermore we don't know if the correct answer to that has ever been published. So, I am wondering if trying to leap frog when one is at an impasse may be worth the time.

        I think many people believe that there is a theme to the poem and that hoB and all other clues somehow must relate to that theme. If that is true then perhaps there is another possible way to find hoB, i.e., other than following the pointers from the previous clues.

        Just my thoughts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bob823 View Post

          You may be right. But Fenn has said that one should "study the maps" so to speak. And he said one could walk to the TC from the hoB, indicating to me that hoB is a geographical place. I am aware that some posters here believe they have a unique spot for their answer to WWWH, but other than the supposed Tawa connection I know of no other unique location described by an interpretation of where WWWH. Clearly, according to Fenn, someone or ones know(s) WWWH. But most of us don't. And furthermore we don't know if the correct answer to that has ever been published. So, I am wondering if trying to leap frog when one is at an impasse may be worth the time.

          I think many people believe that there is a theme to the poem and that hoB and all other clues somehow must relate to that theme. If that is true then perhaps there is another possible way to find hoB, i.e., other than following the pointers from the previous clues.

          Just my thoughts.
          There is another way to find HOB. Multiple ways. The way I found it would not be considered logical. But the confirmation was 100% logical. And hindsight is 20/10 vision in this case.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
            I think many people believe that there is a theme to the poem and that hoB and all other clues somehow must relate to that theme. If that is true then perhaps there is another possible way to find hoB, i.e., other than following the pointers from the previous clues.
            I believe that (theoretically) if you can marry the info within the poem that relates to hoB with its supporting "data" you could bypass other clues, but in practice I think that would be near to impossible.

            Comment


            • #7
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Brown and Rainbow.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	100017

              Comment


              • #8
                M.c.B.

                IMO, as the title of an image, Brown Trout could be expected to be capitalized. Also at the beginning of a sentence. IOWs, there are other reasons for the B to be capitalized in brown trout. BUT, to the best of my knowledge. used in the context in the poem and referring to brown trout the B would not be capitalized. Then again, I am not an expert in English composition. And it is just barely possible that Fenn is not either (/s). So, yes, Brown might refer to trout. BUT, I will bet $5 against $2 to any one taker.

                Comment


                • #9
                  HA HA HA

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
                    M.c.B.

                    IMO, as the title of an image, Brown Trout could be expected to be capitalized. Also at the beginning of a sentence. IOWs, there are other reasons for the B to be capitalized in brown trout. BUT, to the best of my knowledge. used in the context in the poem and referring to brown trout the B would not be capitalized. Then again, I am not an expert in English composition. And it is just barely possible that Fenn is not either (/s). So, yes, Brown might refer to trout. BUT, I will bet $5 against $2 to any one taker.
                    I have already found many places where Brown Trout is capitalized, especially in specialized literature. I'm not saying it's the right one, but it's the most obvious, since FF is specialized in this subject.

                    Even here in Brazil, specialized articles mention "Truta Marrom (Brown Trout)" - capitalized.
                    Last edited by M.c.B.; 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bob823 View Post

                      You may be right. But Fenn has said that one should "study the maps" so to speak. And he said one could walk to the TC from the hoB, indicating to me that hoB is a geographical place. I am aware that some posters here believe they have a unique spot for their answer to WWWH, but other than the supposed Tawa connection I know of no other unique location described by an interpretation of where WWWH. Clearly, according to Fenn, someone or ones know(s) WWWH. But most of us don't. And furthermore we don't know if the correct answer to that has ever been published. So, I am wondering if trying to leap frog when one is at an impasse may be worth the time.

                      I think many people believe that there is a theme to the poem and that hoB and all other clues somehow must relate to that theme. If that is true then perhaps there is another possible way to find hoB, i.e., other than following the pointers from the previous clues.

                      Just my thoughts.
                      Fenn never told the people that found wwwh that they did, so they have no idea it was the right spot. Perhaps they are confident and are still using that location as WWWH, but perhaps they decided against it and moved on. It really doesn't matter who has or had not found WWWH, what matters is if you believe that you have found it and you stick with it to the end of your journey.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's Mount Brown, in Montana. A short drive from Triple Divide Peak, where three Continental Divides meet, aka "Where Warm Waters Halt."

                        Will someone PUH-LEASE go out and get it already?
                        Last edited by Jackrabbit; 05-23-2019, 02:56 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This is one of the questions I think will be answered when BOTG. To be honest, it is one of the main ideas I don't quite have and I can't figure out why I don't have it other than I should know after I get in there. The Brown cabin is a great idea though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            IMO Brown is capitalised much like Forrest misspelled Knowlede. I believe though by capitalising Brown it draws our attention away from the rest of the line in the poem.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bob823 View Post
                              It seems likely to me (I could be wrong) that one might leap frog the first clues and go for the hoB. I really doubt that it refers to brown trout, brown slides, or color in general (except perhaps as used in a place name). As others repeatedly have noted Brown is capitalized. IMO, for Fenn to capitalize the word when it should not be capitalized would not be an error in English composition but a deliberate deception within the poem.

                              So, it seems to me to be a proper name, either of a place or a person. Place names with Brown in them, unfortunately, are everywhere. If it is a place name then IMO it is going to be very hard to pin down. But places are not usually thought of as having homes (unless the place name uses a person's name, thereby referencing the person's home). On the other hand various persons have been suggested, e.g., ranger Gary Brown, artist Grafton Brown, or the unsinkable Molly Brown. But, given that Fenn seems to think the chase might last centuries, I wonder if one should be looking for more obscure persons named Brown?
                              Bob, apologies it took me so long to reply; I was thinking. And as I know pals (aka. pal-in-dromes) are known, among other things, for their patience, I figured you wouldn't mind.

                              I'm not the first to consider "Important Literature" as a {potential} connecting point to "Brown." Take the 900 years remark; Fenn seems to conjure a fable-like "timelessness" to his Chase.

                              My question is -- has anyone else noticed certain similarities between the world Fenn has crafted and that of "Tolkien?" I know it may sound nerdy / foolish, but as we consider social labels which might be ascribed to such outlandish thinking, we should all keep in mind what the name "Tolkien" actually means (and if certain labels have been placed upon you and perhaps bothered you as a "treasure hunter," well, take comfort in knowing you're in fine company.)

                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Tolkien name.PNG Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	157951

                              In any event, in trying to track down the HoB, I couldn't help noticing some uncanny parallels between the images the Chase conjures in my mind, and the HoB Tolkien raised in The Hobbit. Whether the connections are intentional or not, to me, is of little consequence.

                              If the below doesn't help you with your solve, may it paint a magical picture in your mind, at least momentarily.


                              http://www.henneth-annun.net/places_view.cfm?plid=327

                              WWWH - MISTy Mountains
                              HoB -- literally a Home / Hall
                              Brown -- shape shifter named Beorn(proper, hence capital), which means "bear"
                              in the Wood -- Mirkwood / also a home made of wood / logs
                              ++++ just read it and look for the correlations ...


                              Cheers & Happy Hunting.


                              Last edited by Tyke (MySon); 05-20-2020, 11:58 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X