Quotes, Interviews, videos of someone seeing the treasure chest after 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes, Interviews, videos of someone seeing the treasure chest after 2003

There have been several claims that Doug Preston claimed to see the chest after 2003. This may well be. I've watched the collected works video and I didn't hear it. I only heard him claim to have seen it, but not after 2003. I might have missed it. I listened to the 2013 audio only collected works session with Doug Preston. I don't remember hearing it. I'd like to hear or see the proof that Preston said it. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't exist.

kpro says the FOIA is reported to show the chest was there. OK, I'll stand by for proof or solid evidence.

I think the issue is important. I know others do not, but at the least its a big discrepancy that begs for a solution.

I worry that this is one of those false information things that gets passed around without any hard evidence. I know there is the implication in the Forward of OUAW that Preston saw the treasure after 2003, but that's just a loose interpretation and at best something that Preston may have implied. But he didn't say it.

Thanks in advance for anyone who provides the evidence. I appreciate it.

• M.c.B.
    replied
    Originally posted by Zapster View Post
    Valerie Plame Wilson didn't move to Santa Fe until 2006 (a year after she resigned from the CIA), and like Preston she has seen the chest in Forrest's vault. So there's another post-2003 witness for you. I'm still liking the idea that Forrest hid the chest twice -- once in 2003 (test run), and then for good in 2010.
    I liked this idea: 2003/2010. Makes a lot of sense to me.

"The spot where I hid the treasure was in my mind from the time I first started thinking about the chase. It is special to me and there was never another consideration. I was going to make it work no matter what. In my reverie I often find myself stealing away to that place and I will always consider it to be mine."

Leave a comment:

• Zapster
    replied
    Valerie Plame Wilson didn't move to Santa Fe until 2006 (a year after she resigned from the CIA), and like Preston she has seen the chest in Forrest's vault. So there's another post-2003 witness for you. I'm still liking the idea that Forrest hid the chest twice -- once in 2003 (test run), and then for good in 2010.

Leave a comment:

• Must Listengood
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyColorado View Post
    If you look at SB #85 and the picture of Forrest with Donna Karan in his vault, I would say he looks to be in his late 70s, possibly 80? The treasure chest can be seen in the picture. Zap, here is the #85 again. FWIW
    I would say he is 72, a year or so after Ms. Karan lost her husband. Around 2002.

Leave a comment:

• Zapster
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyColorado View Post
    If you look at SB #85 and the picture of Forrest with Donna Karan in his vault, I would say he looks to be in his late 70s, possibly 80? The treasure chest can be seen in the picture. Zap, here is the #85 again. FWIW
    Yep, 85 rearing its head again. Like the "37MM ROCKETS" on page 85 of TTOTC. (They're 70 mm). 85 = BS? Is there a better explanation for why the camera labeling in the illustration for the Elmyr story in TFTW says C85 not CBS?

Leave a comment:

• SallyColorado
    replied
    Last edited by SallyColorado; 05-16-2019, 08:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zapster
    replied
    I can provide other links that mention Forrest having the chest for 20 years. I believe the People.com article was one of them. (On my phone or I'd send you the link.) Just try Googling red bandana + Fenn + People.com. Or if you will only really be convinced by a first-hand account, you could try emailing Doug Preston to ask him when he last saw the chest (and enclosed treasure!) in Forrest's vault. I've been confident for a couple years of the exact date in June 2010 that Forrest hid the chest, otherwise I'd be more willing to entertain 2003 theories and try to prove/disprove them.

Leave a comment:

• Must Listengood
    replied
    Originally posted by Zapster View Post
    A bit more evidence against a 2003 hiding date (bold text is my emphasis):

March 30, 2013

"SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — For more than a decade, he packed and repacked his treasure chest, sprinkling in gold dust and adding hundreds of rare gold coins and gold nuggets. Pre-Columbian animal figures went in, along with prehistoric "mirrors" of hammered gold, ancient Chinese faces carved from jade and antique jewelry with rubies and emeralds."

"Forrest Fenn was creating a bounty, and the art and antiquities dealer says his goal was to make sure it was 'valuable enough to entice searchers and desirable enough visibly to strike awe.'"

"Occasionally, he would test that premise, pulling out the chest and asking his friends to open the lid."

"'Mostly, when they took the first look,' he says, 'they started laughing,' hardly able the grasp his amazing plan."

"Was Fenn really going to give this glistening treasure trove away?"

"Three years ago, he lay two of his most beloved pieces of jewelry in the chest: a turquoise bracelet and a Tairona and Sinu Indian necklace adorned with exotic jewels. At the bottom of the chest, in an olive jar, he placed a detailed autobiography, printed so small a reader will need a magnifying glass. After that, he says, he carted the chest of loot, now weighing more than 40 pounds, into the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe and left it there."

"I've seen the treasure. I've handled it. He has had it for almost as long as I've known him. It's real. And I can tell you that it is no longer in his vault," says Preston.
    Thanks, Zapster. That was an associated press story, right? I'll put that down as evidence, but I'll categorize it as questionable. No quote from Fenn, and the writer could easily have just assumed the three years ago. They do make a lot of assumptions and mistakes.

As for the "more than a decade", that really could have started as early as 1988, so more than a decade actually seems about right for 2003, and a poor description for 2010.

Still waiting for more substantial evidence, but I do appreciate this one.

Leave a comment:

• Wraith14u
    replied
    I have always wondered why Mr. Fenn put certain items in the chest, and after reading some post of late, now I know.

Leave a comment:

• Zapster
    replied
    A bit more evidence against a 2003 hiding date (bold text is my emphasis):

March 30, 2013

"SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — For more than a decade, he packed and repacked his treasure chest, sprinkling in gold dust and adding hundreds of rare gold coins and gold nuggets. Pre-Columbian animal figures went in, along with prehistoric "mirrors" of hammered gold, ancient Chinese faces carved from jade and antique jewelry with rubies and emeralds."

"Forrest Fenn was creating a bounty, and the art and antiquities dealer says his goal was to make sure it was 'valuable enough to entice searchers and desirable enough visibly to strike awe.'"

"Occasionally, he would test that premise, pulling out the chest and asking his friends to open the lid."

"'Mostly, when they took the first look,' he says, 'they started laughing,' hardly able the grasp his amazing plan."

"Was Fenn really going to give this glistening treasure trove away?"

"Three years ago, he lay two of his most beloved pieces of jewelry in the chest: a turquoise bracelet and a Tairona and Sinu Indian necklace adorned with exotic jewels. At the bottom of the chest, in an olive jar, he placed a detailed autobiography, printed so small a reader will need a magnifying glass. After that, he says, he carted the chest of loot, now weighing more than 40 pounds, into the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe and left it there."

"I've seen the treasure. I've handled it. He has had it for almost as long as I've known him. It's real. And I can tell you that it is no longer in his vault," says Preston.

Leave a comment:

• Maus
    replied
    Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
    There have been several claims that Doug Preston claimed to see the chest after 2003. This may well be. I've watched the collected works video and I didn't hear it. I only heard him claim to have seen it, but not after 2003. I might have missed it. I listened to the 2013 audio only collected works session with Doug Preston. I don't remember hearing it. I'd like to hear or see the proof that Preston said it. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't exist.

kpro says the FOIA is reported to show the chest was there. OK, I'll stand by for proof or solid evidence.

I think the issue is important. I know others do not, but at the least its a big discrepancy that begs for a solution.

I worry that this is one of those false information things that gets passed around without any hard evidence. I know there is the implication in the Forward of OUAW that Preston saw the treasure after 2003, but that's just a loose interpretation and at best something that Preston may have implied. But he didn't say it.

Thanks in advance for anyone who provides the evidence. I appreciate it.
    So far we have an uncorroborated claim that a chest was seen by a fourth party after 2003. Given the totality of the circumstances I'll defer to Fenn and only trust his book and his poem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X