Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use faith and landmarks? Or do you use GPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use faith and landmarks? Or do you use GPS?

I think that lead searchers only show up if they have numbers and GPS.
    Questing song: Iron Maiden's "Quest for Fire" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppwIZ0EnXg

Then I'm at a real disadvantage cuz I use Faith and landmarks - don't know diddly about GPS. Aren't landmarks blazes?

Comment

IDK, I think most take trips based on compelling names of things.
      Questing song: Iron Maiden's "Quest for Fire" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppwIZ0EnXg

Comment

GPS is not necessary if you know how to use a map. or if you don't have a map and you aren't familiar with the regional geography then you likely shouldn't be there in the first place. This may come as a shock to most people out there, but until May first, 19 years ago today when selective availability was switched off, the general public didn't have reliable and high resolution GPS access. Up until that time we seemed to have colonized pretty much all of this planet without it. I use a compass. It requires no batteries, it has no signal to receive that tends to suck in clouds, it works outside of mobile phone service and I can even use it in a cave. GPS is most advantageous when mapping, but other than that it is really not necessary at all.

Use the sun. Not only does the sun tell you where east and west are (this even works in clouds), but the sun also tells you how far east and west you are are. Before setting out set your watch to solar noon at a known point of longitude. When you are in the field check the difference in time between solar noon where you are at and the time on your watch. This will tell you how far east if your noon is earlier or west if your noon is later from your datum longitude. It worked pretty well for the pioneers.

The best plan that you can have in your pocket is to use your GPS to its full extent and be prepared for when it is not working. Know where you are going ahead of time. Even if you lose your maps, compass or GPS the terrain is not going to change. What is the regional strike of the geography? (i.e. which direction do the mountains point) What are the prevalent landmarks in the area? Know at least two so you can triangulate your approximate location. Know the orientation of these landmarks with respect to a known location which is preferably a place of help (town, ranger station, etc) Water is very important for a couple of reasons. One, you die without it, and two, it leads to civilization, so what are the streams, rivers and lakes in your area of interest? There is lots of water in the Rocky mountains. A GPS Spot is a great asset because it will send a satellite rescue signal if needed. With or without one ALWAYS give your detailed itinerary to friends or better yet the local ranger station so that they can send out the dogs when you fail to make it back on schedule. This is critical, and as a little hint, if you give your plans to the rangers and they have to rescue you they will not charge you for the rescue since you gave them a heads up of your plans.

Be prepared. Failure is never a question of if but of when and how. Do not assume what is going to happen. Operate on the contingency of what can happen. GPS is a useful too, but my advice to everybody that is going out into the wild is that before you go out and buy a new Garmin, learn how to orient yourself and navigate without the GPS first. Your local sporting goods store that stocks good GPS gear will be more than happy to direct you to classes on outdoor orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post
          Then I'm at a real disadvantage cuz I use Faith and landmarks - don't know diddly about GPS. Aren't landmarks blazes?
          Landmarks are blazes.

Comment

Forrest is right. Get back in the box. Do you need a GPS now ?

Comment

Does anyone have an old comic book where I can order a "find treasure 2 miles away" magnetometer?

Comment

Originally posted by 5-leaf Blaze View Post
                I think that lead searchers only show up if they have numbers and GPS.
                I use landmarks that give me faith

Comment

Working...
                X