Clark Gable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark Gable

Since we seemed to have hit the winter doldrums, I thought I'd share one of those strange Chase coincidences that most of you have experienced at one time or another. It's about Forrest's odd Clark Gable comment, which he has made on several occasions, the earliest of which was in the Moby Dickens Bookshop in November 2013. He said, "I have two daughters that are in their fifties (there's that #50 again) who don't know who Clark Gable was." In the MW Six Questions in 2017, he wrote "About 1990 or so, I learned that my daughters (now ages 56 and 57) didn't know who Clark Gable was. I was shocked and that's when I decided to record my family history (my autobiography)."

Now it would seem unlikely to me that Forrest is a Star Trek fan, but perhaps the best of the original 78 episodes was "The City on the Edge of Forever," guest-starring Joan Collins as social worker Edith Keeler. Many (most?) of you know the episode well so no need for a synopsis, but toward the end Dr. McCoy has largely recovered from his accidental cordrazine injection and is talking with Edith in the 21st Street Mission. He thanks her for probably saving his life:

EDITH: "Lots of people drink from the wrong bottle sometimes."
    MCCOY: "Not as wrong as the bottle I drank from. Allow me to show my gratitude. Perhaps there's something I can do around here to thank you."
    EDITH: "We can talk about that later. I have to go. My young man is taking me to a Clark Gable movie."
    MCCOY: "A who movie?"
    EDITH: "A Clark Gable... Don't you know?"
    MCCOY: "Well, I know what a movie is, but..."
    EDITH: "That's very strange. You get some rest. I'll see you later."

As most of you know, Forrest's daughters' names are Kelly and Zoe. And the actor who played Dr. McCoy? DeForest Kelley. Curious, no?

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
    Since we seemed to have hit the winter doldrums, I thought I'd share one of those strange Chase coincidences that most of you have experienced at one time or another. It's about Forrest's odd Clark Gable comment, which he has made on several occasions, the earliest of which was in the Moby Dickens Bookshop in November 2013. He said, "I have two daughters that are in their fifties (there's that #50 again) who don't know who Clark Gable was." In the MW Six Questions in 2017, he wrote "About 1990 or so, I learned that my daughters (now ages 56 and 57) didn't know who Clark Gable was. I was shocked and that's when I decided to record my family history (my autobiography)."

Now it would seem unlikely to me that Forrest is a Star Trek fan, but perhaps the best of the original 78 episodes was "The City on the Edge of Forever," guest-starring Joan Collins as social worker Edith Keeler. Many (most?) of you know the episode well so no need for a synopsis, but toward the end Dr. McCoy has largely recovered from his accidental cordrazine injection and is talking with Edith in the 21st Street Mission. He thanks her for probably saving his life:

EDITH: "Lots of people drink from the wrong bottle sometimes."
    MCCOY: "Not as wrong as the bottle I drank from. Allow me to show my gratitude. Perhaps there's something I can do around here to thank you."
    EDITH: "We can talk about that later. I have to go. My young man is taking me to a Clark Gable movie."
    MCCOY: "A who movie?"
    EDITH: "A Clark Gable... Don't you know?"
    MCCOY: "Well, I know what a movie is, but..."
    EDITH: "That's very strange. You get some rest. I'll see you later."

As most of you know, Forrest's daughters' names are Kelly and Zoe. And the actor who played Dr. McCoy? DeForest Kelley. Curious, no?
    That’s the real McCoy right there!

Comment

Originally posted by SallyColorado
      William Clark Gable--> William Clark--->Lewis and Clark?? The Corp of Discovery....
      I wouldn't be surprised if Forrest is a Trekkie...nothing that man does surprises me.
      Vulcan salute, Victory sign, Peace sign. Just go in peace.
      If it's a hint of any sort (and I'm not convinced it is) then the connection would have to be via the name Clark Gable. Clark certainly works. I see no Lewis, though. A gable is basically an upside-down V, so that could have relevance.

Comment

Not sure if I was clear. Clark Gable's actual name is William Clark Gable. Clark of Lewis and Clark....his first name is William. Just weird that we have William Clark Gable and William Clark. Both of whom were pretty famous, both of whom Forrest is interested in. Is Forrest surprised at how little the general public/searcher community knows about the Lewis and Clark Expedition in the same way he is surprised his daughters didnt know who Clark Gable was?

Comment

Originally posted by SallyColorado View Post
          Not sure if I was clear. Clark Gable's actual name is William Clark Gable. Clark of Lewis and Clark....his first name is William. Just weird that we have William Clark Gable and William Clark. Both of whom were pretty famous, both of whom Forrest is interested in. Is Forrest surprised at how little the general public/searcher community knows about the Lewis and Clark Expedition in the same way he is surprised his daughters didnt know who Clark Gable was?
          Sally: you got me! I've been quite diligent about looking up actors' names to find out if their original names were clues, but while I knew Lewis's first name was Meriwether (who forgets a name like that?), for some reason I forgot 2nd Lieutenant Clark's first name was William. So you could well be right: that people may not be as familiar with Lewis & Clark as they think they are. I'm certainly guilty of ignorance/forgetfulness on that score. Makes me wonder whether I should read Journal of a Trapper (which I have resisted doing)? It can't be any worse than re-reading Catcher in the Rye (which I think is a rather horrid novel).

Comment

Originally posted by ScaredyCat
            Really surprised none of you jumped on the Clarks fork of the Yellowstone river...great fishing and is on the route Forrest family often took.....There is also a Clarks fork Canyon.......
            Being in "tight focus" with the name Clark suggests to me that (surely,) you Kent be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by ScaredyCat
              Really surprised none of you jumped on the Clarks fork of the Yellowstone river...great fishing and is on the route Forrest family often took.....There is also a Clarks fork Canyon.......
              Hi ScaredyCat: well familiar with Clark's Fork. If the poem's clues had ever led me to the Yellowstone River, I'd certainly have considered it. But I won't use aberrations or curiosities that were initially identified *outside* the poem (or TTOTC) as primary data. That is the very definition of rabbit hole exploration.

Comment

IMO you overthink too much and try to find hints when there are none.
                To me Forrest comment regarding "his daughters and Clark Gable thing" is nothing but a regular old men amusement about someone not knowing an incredibly famous person from their youth (who shall be known to anyone as they think). My grandma always says the same thing.
                P.S. Even I know who is Clark Gable while I live in the opposite part of the planet and I am twice younger. Usually comment is just a comment.
                Please pardon my grammar mistakes if there are some. Eng is not my native.

Comment

Here's my take on that, Zen. Forrest has literally thousands and thousands of anecdotes, stories, etc that he COULD share with us. What he chooses to share with us is important. In real life, if I met Kelly and Zoe, who cares that they don't know who Clark Gable is? In everyday world, that would be completely trivial and not worth knowing. The fact that Forrest shared that with us is significant. Some friendly advice... We are 9 years into the Chase, and no one has found the treasure. Treasure hunters have created computer programs to crack this code, spent thousands of hours researching and searching, spent copious amounts of personal time and $$ trying to find the TC. Pay attention, grasshopper and you will learn that this is a hunt of epic proportions, created by a master. Learn from the people who have been there, done that, from what people share on the blogs. I won't give away Zap's real life credentials, but let's just say he "finds things IN outer space" (and things FROM outer space) for FUN. As a hobby. So when he tries to "find things" in Forrest's writings, listen good!

Scaredycat - I have searched the Clark's Fork x2 different trips; the area of interest to me is inaccessible to an 80 year old man even though it looks like a road takes you close it doesn't. The Clark's Fork was raging last year both times I was there. If you research the Nez Perce Trail of Tears, you will discover where I was searching. The Nez Perce were master strategists. So is Fenn.

Comment

We are 9 years into the Chase, and no one has found the treasure.
                    That's exactly why noone has found it yet. Too many people go way too deep into each Forrest phrase and word, looking for a hints, ciphers and hidden riddles in almost every word he says. It's like Forrest does nothing but speaking with puzzles, while most of the time he just speaks like regular person does.

I'm absolutely sure that if this exact message has been written by Forrest, the majority of the hunters would already flood forums with dozens of topics discussing its importance and hidden sense within
                    Last edited by iZen; 03-12-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iZen View Post

That's exactly why noone has found it yet. Too many people go way too deep into each Forrest phrase and word, looking for a hints, ciphers and hidden riddles in almost every word he says. It's like Forrest does nothing but speaking with puzzles, while most of the time he just speaks like regular person does.

I'm absolutely sure that if this exact message has been written by Forrest, the majority of the hunters would already flood forums with dozens of topics discussing its importance and hidden sense within
                      You can be "absolutely sure" because YOU ARE FORREST FENN, Mr. Junior member with only 2 posts!

I know your tricks, Mr. Fenn. I will be dissecting every word of this post --- I am already seeing hints!

Peace,
                      Orion, the Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by ORION View Post
                        You can be "absolutely sure" because YOU ARE FORREST FENN, Mr. Junior member with only 2 posts!
                        I'll consider it as a huge compliment to my grammar

Comment

Here's my take on that, Zen. Forrest has literally thousands and thousands of anecdotes, stories, etc that he COULD share with us. What he chooses to share with us is important. In real life, if I met Kelly and Zoe, who cares that they don't know who Clark Gable is? In everyday world, that would be completely trivial and not worth knowing. The fact that Forrest shared that with us is significant. Some friendly advice... We are 9 years into the Chase, and no one has found the treasure. Treasure hunters have created computer programs to crack this code, spent thousands of hours researching and searching, spent copious amounts of personal time and $$ trying to find the TC. Pay attention, grasshopper and you will learn that this is a hunt of epic proportions, created by a master. Learn from the people who have been there, done that, from what people share on the blogs. I won't give away Zap's real life credentials, but let's just say he "finds things IN outer space" (and things FROM outer space) for FUN. As a hobby. So when he tries to "find things" in Forrest's writings, listen good!

Scaredycat - I have searched the Clark's Fork x2 different trips; the area of interest to me is inaccessible to an 80 year old man even though it looks like a road takes you close it doesn't. The Clark's Fork was raging last year both times I was there. If you research the Nez Perce Trail of Tears, you will discover where I was searching. The Nez Perce were master strategists. So is Fenn.
                          That's a lot of Masters.

Comment

Haha FennMASTER. Consider yourself included. No searcher left behind!

Comment

Hey Zen... good luck to you in your quest. Maybe you will be the one to find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X