Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gut Feeling Statement, Revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Gut Feeling Statement, Revisited

    People read the "Gut Feeling Statement" last year in a variety of ways. On the positive end, some felt that it meant that a person was close and in all likelihood would retrieve the treasure over this past summer. Many felt, they, themselves, were close. More cynically, others felt that it was just marketing hype meant to get searchers riled up for the year. When he later said that his gut feeling was just a hunch, and wasn't based on anything in particular, discussion kind of died off.

    I think what got largely overlooked was that he seemed to genuinely think that it was actually possible someone could have found the treasure last year. In terms of progress, he's never said that before. In terms of hype, again, he's never said that before. Even if the statement wasn't based on anything in particular, it's not nothing. It's actually pretty big if you think about it.

    Consider all the questions that plague searchers...

    What are the nine clues in the poem?
    How many clues have been solved?
    Is it buried or not?
    What state is it in?
    Are there confirmations in the book?
    Is it a solvable puzzle?
    And on and on...

    The Gut Feeling Statement says that, at least from Forrest's point of view (the one that matters), all of these questions are answerable. There is enough information out there where someone could have found the treasure chest last year. It's doable. It's not actually something he's looking at a thousand years down the road, or even a hundred. It's something that he thought could have been done last summer.

    There's dozens of thousands of searches that occured between 2010 and 2018 and the truth is that most everyone is searching in the wrong place, have the wrong ideas about the poem, or are just completely lost. If anyone is on the right path (read that as in the right place for the right reasons), they're probably alone in that. There's been no new discussions. It's all the same old thing. If someone is close, they're sitting on something important that they, alone, know. That person, Forrest feels, could find the treasure chest -- right now, not years down the road. Do they have the poem solved? Do they have to dig? Are they missing something? Forrest feels they have everything they need to figure it out now.

    If there is no such person who is close, Forrest must be thinking about the search community at large. He must be thinking about you. Early in the Chase he told everyone that the poem could lead an average person to find the treasure chest. As the years went by, apparently, he didn't become frustrated. He became encouraged. There's no other takeaway. His statement may not be based on any information in particular but he still said it. Despite every searcher's missteps, The Gut Feeling Statement says that he thinks it's going to be found.
    “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

  • #2
    Originally posted by JeremyP View Post
    People read the "Gut Feeling Statement" last year in a variety of ways. On the positive end, some felt that it meant that a person was close and in all likelihood would retrieve the treasure over this past summer. Many felt, they, themselves, were close. More cynically, others felt that it was just marketing hype meant to get searchers riled up for the year. When he later said that his gut feeling was just a hunch, and wasn't based on anything in particular, discussion kind of died off.

    I think what got largely overlooked was that he seemed to genuinely think that it was actually possible someone could have found the treasure last year. In terms of progress, he's never said that before. In terms of hype, again, he's never said that before. Even if the statement wasn't based on anything in particular, it's not nothing. It's actually pretty big if you think about it.

    Consider all the questions that plague searchers...

    What are the nine clues in the poem?
    How many clues have been solved?
    Is it buried or not?
    What state is it in?
    Are there confirmations in the book?
    Is it a solvable puzzle?
    And on and on...

    The Gut Feeling Statement says that, at least from Forrest's point of view (the one that matters), all of these questions are answerable. There is enough information out there where someone could have found the treasure chest last year. It's doable. It's not actually something he's looking at a thousand years down the road, or even a hundred. It's something that he thought could have been done last summer.

    There's dozens of thousands of searches that occured between 2010 and 2018 and the truth is that most everyone is searching in the wrong place, have the wrong ideas about the poem, or are just completely lost. If anyone is on the right path (read that as in the right place for the right reasons), they're probably alone in that. There's been no new discussions. It's all the same old thing. If someone is close, they're sitting on something important that they, alone, know. That person, Forrest feels, could find the treasure chest -- right now, not years down the road. Do they have the poem solved? Do they have to dig? Are they missing something? Forrest feels they have everything they need to figure it out now.

    If there is no such person who is close, Forrest must be thinking about the search community at large. He must be thinking about you. Early in the Chase he told everyone that the poem could lead an average person to find the treasure chest. As the years went by, apparently, he didn't become frustrated. He became encouraged. There's no other takeaway. His statement may not be based on any information in particular but he still said it. Despite every searcher's missteps, The Gut Feeling Statement says that he thinks it's going to be found.
    Absolutely,
    Yes I can and have solved it!
    I am the lead hunter!

    Comment


    • #3
      Absolutely. I’m just surprised he said his gut feeling was that it would be found last summer. That statement put a very short timeline on the hunt. We went from 1000 years to two months. It’s very peculiar that he chose those words. But.....you are correct. And I’m excited.

      This is a time to be positive, to get prepared, and to start seeing yourself like you are the one. Forrest is being quiet so that the chase can unfold as intended. So a searcher can do the whole thing by him or herself without any assistance. His silence is him giving us the “go ahead now, you’re ready. I’m done talking now.”

      I even went to church today to cover all my bases.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Coinaster View Post

        Absolutely,
        Yes I can and have solved it!
        I am the lead hunter!
        That's the spirit. You gotta believe in yourself to have any chance...

        Comment


        • #5
          For Forrest to have ever remotely hinted that he thinks it would be found (soon) presents itself as a statement. It has the essence of discouragement for at least a few searchers, and thus, seems based on truth, as in, "sure, keep searching, but this one person should have this wrapped soon."
          Questing song: Iron Maiden's "Quest for Fire" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppwIZ0EnXg

          Comment


          • #6
            Whenever i hear anatomy from f. i think cures, mothers cures, warm springs and ultimately cancer, which is a big often overlooked part of this chase.

            Comment


            • #7
              Or you could say..

              f could feel it in his waters

              Which is an old saying for something good is about to happen.

              Comment


              • #8
                People found the first two clues right away. He's pretty sure the first four were solved years ago. A lot of time has gone by for people to get over the obstacles that prevent getting past clue 5/6. And once you get past that, its probably just a matter of time. There are a lot of people searching. Some in the right area for years. He's thinking one of them is going to make a breakthrough, and that may or may not be based on what people have sent him. This is how I see it. I don't believe in the "lead searcher" idea.

                Comment


                • #9
                  There is another time in the 2014 six questions with a close statement like that but it was not challenged as much.

                  It is interesting to know that a great number of people are out there searching. Many are giving serious thought to the clues in my poem, but only a few are in tight focus with a word that is key. The treasure may be discovered sooner than I anticipated.

                  The lead searcher was in tight focus with the word that is key but it took him 4 years to get over that hump. He stepped over that hump in late summer when it was too late to retrieve.
                  Last edited by OH!!; 02-10-2019, 05:52 PM.
                  "SSShhhh!. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits with my imagination", "huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
                    People found the first two clues right away. He's pretty sure the first four were solved years ago. A lot of time has gone by for people to get over the obstacles that prevent getting past clue 5/6. And once you get past that, its probably just a matter of time. There are a lot of people searching. Some in the right area for years. He's thinking one of them is going to make a breakthrough, and that may or may not be based on what people have sent him. This is how I see it. I don't believe in the "lead searcher" idea.
                    In my opinion, clue four is what holds everybody back, after that you 100% know you are on the right track.
                    "SSShhhh!. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits with my imagination", "huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BiggishShoes View Post
                      Or you could say..

                      f could feel it in his waters

                      Which is an old saying for something good is about to happen.
                      maybe hence halt?

                      bad luck can always be trusted. f
                      https://www.oldsantafetradingco.com/...l-of-the-chase

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by OH!! View Post
                        There is another time in the 2014 six questions with a close statement like that but it was not challenged as much.

                        It is interesting to know that a great number of people are out there searching. Many are giving serious thought to the clues in my poem, but only a few are in tight focus with a word that is key. The treasure may be discovered sooner than I anticipated.

                        The lead searcher was in tight focus with the word that is key but it took him 4 years to get over that hump. He stepped over that hump in late summer when it was too late to retrieve.
                        Good point. He's been saying the same thing more or less for years. But he said "only a few" not "a", so there were at least three in 2014. We are coming up on five years since then.

                        There are more searchers than a few at this point, that have a shot. His gut feel was that one of them would get there last year, but it's just a guess. Eventually one of them will "think all the right things".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A careful searcher never hikes alone and in bear country you are suppose to have a trio, so it's possible this was a single group like husband wife & son. If it were three groups in 2014, I think the chase would be over.
                          "SSShhhh!. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits with my imagination", "huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OH!! View Post
                            There is another time in the 2014 six questions with a close statement like that but it was not challenged as much.

                            It is interesting to know that a great number of people are out there searching. Many are giving serious thought to the clues in my poem, but only a few are in tight focus with a word that is key. The treasure may be discovered sooner than I anticipated.
                            Bwahahaha... in 2014 he said, "sooner than I anticipated." And we are supposed to take that to mean some five years later in 2019 it will be found?

                            Forrest Fenn is an amazing man. He is many things, but a prophet is not one of them.

                            And yet we hang on his every word, trying to divine meanings from them that aren't necessarily there. Which is why I consider myself blessed that Forrest never responded to my any of my emails and that I have not had the pleasure to meet him in person or receive any kind of private communication from him.

                            I have met a few celebrities over the years. Before I was a teen, I would get dizzy from being star struck and I could not form coherent thoughts, much less words. Much like trying to talk to the girls at that age I had a crush on. As I aged, (I have never really matured), the star-struck emotions I am prone to experience have subsided considerably. A large part of that was finding out the girl I thought I was in love with at such a tender age was not so wonderful after all. And this became even more apparent with celebrities who have their own human problems like everyone else, only often far worse problems.

                            Even so, because of not only his many amazingly great accomplishments in life, and because of how awesomely he crafted the Chase, I could not divorce myself from the influence of those star-struck feelings if he said something personal to me before the chest has been found.

                            Imagine if Forrest had replied to one of my solves that I sent him with something like, "You are nearing the summit LurkerMike."

                            OH WOW!!!

                            That would twist my head like a red hot piece of square stock steel being twisted into a spiral to make a component for a wrought iron fence.

                            I would completely lose all perspective that while he might have meant in a figurative sense that I was closing in the chest and the end of the Chase, and instead take it to mean I should abandon going down in the canyon. The next thing you know I am climbing every summit of every mountain in the Rockies.

                            Or imagine what if he said to me, "I like some of your posts about the Chase LurkerMike, but some of your others, not so much."

                            I would lose at least one search season if not more going back and scouring every post I ever made anywhere about the Chase. Something like that would be totally counterproductive for me.

                            Forrest Fenn's personal words, while well-intentioned and probably meant to encourage, tend to have the opposite effect. That is why I think it is better for most searchers to avoid receiving anything personal from him. While hard to do, I recommend deleting his replies unread and keep your head down doing what you are already doing.

                            Just as bad is thinking Forrest is talking just to you with something he says publically. Think about that. He said it publically so even if it is "just for you" it also applies to everyone else. And because it also applies to everyone else, it can't be intentioned to be "just for you." But because his public words are for everyone, you should heed them like they are intended for you, but without getting all twisted up in thinking you are somehow one of those "special searchers."

                            The "Special Searchers" list of searchers who will never find the chest, and this is not a complete list, include:

                            The Lead Searcher - this searcher with title probably changes daily as the Chase is very dynamic
                            The 200 Footer - got to the right area without solving the poem and therefore has no hope of finding the chest
                            The Hunter - I don't know what is supposed to be so special about this searcher title as we are hunting for the chest

                            But people try to assume these titles thinking doing so is somehow advantageous. It isn't. In fact it has the opposite effect than what is desired.

                            I think one of the hardest parts to improving one's chances in the Chase is learning what to ignore by mastering sifting the wheat from the chaff. And there are tons of chaff surrounding the Chase.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BiggishShoes View Post
                              Or you could say..

                              f could feel it in his waters

                              Which is an old saying for something good is about to happen.
                              That happens to me when I drink a lot beer. And nothing feels better at the time than relieving the pressure that causes to be on one's bladder.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X