X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lure

You can now buy and download the Lure:

http://www.the-lure.com/buy-the-film/

Anybody seen it? For entertainment only I would say ; is it worth the time?

Comment

If you take the link and click on "the hunt" there are sites Tomas references to get more info on the chase. Interesting which are included and which are not.

Comment

https://thelure.vhx.tv/buy/the-lure?...id=45660071166

Here is the secure site for purchase, note https.

Comment

Popcorn and a movie, who needs a night out? Sean, Brian, McFly and not in that order necessarily ? I have a girl squad ready for a fun night out at the movies. It will probably confirm our final spot so dont want you disappointed while we celebrate! Holla!

Comment

Much love going out to SG who posted before any other site or FB page. Thanks for making us the leading word out there on the chase. .
            “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

From Toby:

Shelley and I give the film a hearty “thumbs up,” as Leach navigates his way, equally adeptly, through the various wilderness areas to which he’s taken, and the strongly felt (and expressed) emotions of the searchers. He seems to have found a healthy balance between the two.

Fenn's voice is a constant background element, but, we didn't hear anything we hadn't heard before. The interaction between Fenn and David Rice (Desertphile), filmed at Fenn's home in Santa Fe, is "cute," mostly due to Mr. Rice's personality. I saw/heard nothing that I thought would be helpful to us in our search.

Tomas used some audio and video clips from my "Fenn at Moby Dickens" video, with permission. We spoke back in 2015, so that gives you an indication of how long he's been working on the film.

The searchers Leach documented are committed, at least, with no indication of how they get to where they are for the filming of the various vignettes. No references to WWWH, HOB, the blaze, etc. The majority of it was filmed in New Mexico, so don't expect any new insights to other locations.

Leach’s cinematography was subtle and thoughtful, and the audio was enviable, as it was as good, if not better, as I have heard on any film of this genre (and budget). The film was well edited with only a couple of scenes that could have used a little extra cutting but moves along smoothly, and at a consistent pace. In all, it was a very engaging story, well told, in a technically astute manner. Our compliments to Mr. Leach. The aerial shots were very good, and well placed. Tomas told me he used both a drone and a para-glider for the shots.

In conclusion, should you get the opportunity, see the film. I'm a big fan of helping independent filmmakers make more quality film, and I believe Tomas should be compensated for his effort.

Here's a link to our blog post, containing links to the film, Shelley's interview with Tomas, my photos from the May 18 screening in Santa Fe, and the playlist of our videos of the post screening Q&A with Fenn.

https://agypsyskiss.wordpress.com/2017/1...ing-12-99/
              “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

Originally posted by kpro View Post
                Much love going out to SG who posted before any other site or FB page. Thanks for making us the leading word out there on the chase. .
                Kpro,

I gave SG a hat-tip over on Harry’s when I posted the link in an old “Lure” thread. Then lo and behold Toby arrived nearly two hours later to plug his site with the link. Felt sorta stepped on so to speak.

Seannm

Comment

Originally posted by Seannm View Post
                  Kpro,

I gave SG a hat-tip over on Harry’s when I posted the link in an old “Lure” thread. Then lo and behold Toby arrived nearly two hours later to plug his site with the link. Felt sorta stepped on so to speak.

Seannm
                  I saw it and that was cool, thank you. The site is new and still trying to get the word out so probably part of it.

Tobys though has lots of additional info and the Q&A video. They are a good resource too.

Those of us watching have noticed

Comment

I haven't seen it yet. Am curious to hear from others first. I read it was a balanced viewpoint of the Chase. Which I think is valuable. More realistic, not so much cheerleading. What do the commenters that have seen it think?

Comment

Originally posted by Presby View Post
                      I haven't seen it yet. Am curious to hear from others first. I read it was a balanced viewpoint of the Chase. Which I think is valuable. More realistic, not so much cheerleading. What do the commenters that have seen it think?
                      I am very interested as well as if to if it is worth the time and cost. I am on information overload as a new sesarcher and want to get up on my learning curve before my first trip in spring.

Comment

I thought it was worth the $13

http://www.fenntreasure.com
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_47.jpg Views:	1 Size:	297.2 KB ID:	849
                        Last edited by DeCall; 12-30-2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeCall View Post
                          I thought it was worth the $13
                          Like worth the cost as entertainment and a movie for a fan of the TTOTC or clues and Fenn quotes that make it worth it? Any details you can share that were particularly helpful.

Comment

Why cant we pay via paypal? Only credit card with lots of personal info. Another example of not knowing the group they serve.

Comment

The Lure

Opening is a good introduction to the Chase. Very developed animation and effects in the opening which lasts about 4-5 minutes. The searchers are over the top with praises to Fenn although this is to be expected. Lots of voice overs and spectacular small clips to draw someone in.

The next part of the documentary moves into short snippets about each searcher. This is interesting because there is not depth of discussion in this area although does hit the more negative side of the chase in the beginning portion [depth comes later]. Gold Fever, going mad, vastness of location, he needs to give more clues, is it a hoax, addiction to the search, spending thousands of dollars. All things we see in the Chase but rarely hear talked about though observed.

The next segments get more into each of the searchers spotlighting of their story. An IT professional who now is now on a farm. A woman who used to live in Hawaii and got the book as a part of her stay on vacation then never left. A young woman who has retired out due to injury in law enforcement.

Preston is in it and gives his perspective in a short segment (less than a minute long), although you can tell he hasn't studied the Chase because he was not aware Fenn took 2 trips to hide the treasure.

We are now about 30 minutes into the film.

All in a friendly way up to this point, but there was subtleties on Fenn in a negative way: Fenn on the throne, Fenn the puppeteer, Fenn plays with people a lot, Fenn fibs but in a sinister and amusing way, trickster, confusing, misleading. Friendly but not flattering.

Then the searcher who says he found it and it is now gone. There is no treasure he says.

Wife comes on who is frustrated at husband who is too focused on the Chase. This was the man who had a helicopter rescue him and go to a hospital. It was awkward and obviously has made a significant issue in their marriage. He asked her to be nice. He says he is fragile. I felt bad, I thought the husband thought this would be his shining moment in the chase and his wife used it as a way to embarrass him out of the chase. Sad. They bring him up in a later segment, just sitting and thinking. I think it was trying to show his struggle, but this could have been done better, almost seems set up to look that way. He later then was with his son.

Next part brings up many negative issues, Fenn having people to his house, hoax, curse of the chest.

Searchers talks about death. Humans to want people to want to remember you after you are dead. Talks about Fenns parents and brother. How it ties into the chest location.

We are now an hour into the film.

More on the stories of the treasure hunters.

Fenn refuses to make this more than he wants it in this life. He hid the chest, the rest is up to the searcher, he has nothing to do with it anymore. He said the chest has its own soul and it is not about him anymore.

The guy I felt sorry for earlier is now saying he has no competition except the weather, he knows he is within 50 feet, and gets cocky. He says he knows exactly where it is. He asks the cameramen what do they want him to do when he finds it.

Direct quotes from Fenn:

- There are some past direct quotes from Fenn on radio, Moby Dicken's, Today's Show.
                              - 36 minute - Fenn quotes begin that I think is unique to this film but not groundbreaking - "Atrociously visual"
                              - 39 minute - another unique Fenn quote.
                              - 43 minute - Fenn with a searcher discussing his solve.
                              - 46 minute - Fenn says he is the only one who knows where it is. He talks about past accusations in his life.
                              - 48 minute - Fenn says he is a storyteller and his famous quote of imagination versus knowledge.
                              - 52 minutes - Fenn says he is an innocent bystander and not to blame him if you don’t find it.
                              - 1:02 minute - Fenn talks about the chest being real and hidden.
                              - 1:10 minute - Fenn talks about his role only being to hide it and the rest is up to the searcher.
                              - 1:17 minute - Fenn puts on a hat and cute ending scene

A short summary of this viewers opinion:

- if you are thinking of getting into the Chase or really never heard of it. Yes. This is a good introduction. Both good and bad of different variables to consider.

***Seasoned searchers - like the blogs, probably only for entertainment, nothing groundbreaking for a solve and this is more of a human interest story. But if you are like me, I have to see with my own eyes since there is so much information that is not accurate out there and I see things others don’t see, so take this for what it is worth; an opinion of one searcher.

Comment

Working...
                              X