The Fallen Astronaut Solve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fallen Astronaut Solve

Hey everyone. This is my first post here. But I’ve been around for a few months now. I can’t thank you all enough for your insights and theories.

I thought I’d start giving back in what is hopefully a very meaningful way. At least it should spur on some thoughts and hopefully a good discussion. This is a big one to release from my way of thinking. I feel like it gives enough away about how I’ve been approaching a solve without giving away an exact location. I have a lot more I could say and I'm happy to answer some questions, but I wanted to get this out to you all.

Disclaimer: I knew none of the underlying facts below before I came up with this part of the solve.* There was no way I could subconsciously make these connections.

Also, please keep in mind that Forrest did name his alligator Beowulf.

The Fallen Astronaut Solve (all of us eventually)

As I have gone alone in there
    As I halve ‘gone alone in there’ (half of quote = go neal on)

And with my treasures bold
    And width 'my treasures bold' (width of quote = 15)

Go Neil on (Apollo) and 15 = Apollo 15 - yes, I know Neil went on Apollo 11. Just watch where this goes...

Apollo 15 (known for the Fallen Astronaut and Covers controversies). Read about what Covers are and think about the postage stamps throughout the book. And the picture of the moon. The Fallen Astronaut was the first interstellar art installation.

I can keep (can keep = sealed) my secret where.

And hint of riches (hint of riches = Hinrichs = old time surname etymology) new (knew) and old (ol' d = dad).
    For those unaware. Eric Sloane was Forrest’s best friend, and his real name was Everard Jean Hinrichs. Edit: *I did know Sloane's last name was Hinrichs, so that does play a part in influencing this part of the solve.

The first part of the poem solve:
    Fallen Astronaut Covers where I sealed my secret. And Hinrichs and dad knew.

It would be amazingly uncanny if Forrest knew the person who placed that Fallen Astronaut sculpture on the moon, Dave Scott… He does! I had never read this before finding this part of the solve. Thank you Google.
    https://mysteriouswritings.com/featu...e-to-the-moon/

Here's a bonus solve to one of the hints in TTOTC.

TTOTC P. 45

'Then my father sold our '36 Chevy and got a '41 Plymouth

instead. I couldn't understand how he could do that to such a

faithful car that had been a member of the family like the rest of us.

How would you like to be replaced by a newer model?'

Here you've got a description of a car. A faithful car that is replaced by a newer model. This can be simplified to an Old Faithful car. Do this over and over in every chapter.

Has anyone else been down this path? Any thoughts on the approach in general?
    Last edited by flytomoon; 10-25-2018, 10:42 PM.

I’m not sure I’m smart enough to understand the whole solve but I do have a broken down old Ford in my solve. I do believe an old car is vital but I haven’t tied it to anything substantial. I think Forrest ran away from something. He ended up in an area half way between Yellowstone and home. His brother eventually found him. I think he found something and didn’t say what.

Spare tires falls along this thought as well. They were looking for replacements to get them to wherever they were going.

Ive been thinking today about why he even titled his book the thrill of the chase. What are we chasing? We aren’t chasing anything, we are searching. It’s almost as if we have to catch something. But what?

I don’t know. Just rambling.

Comment

It’s clever. When did Sloane die again?..

Comment

That and a baloney sandwich will get you a baloney sandwich.

Comment

What I mean by this is you can hen peck any verse into meaning anything you want it to say. Instead of flogging butter into battleships why not tell us about the key that you used in the selection of your costruction. Picking anything to be anything will-I-nil-I has no reasoning behind it. What guidance or rules did you use? Why didnt you get, "I ego on her" from "As I have gone alone in there?" If you could come up with justification for why Neil Armstrong popped his head into this, I'd live to hear it.

PS: I believe Grendel would have made a better gator name. I also believe I was the one that started the "Go neal on" line as a joke in reply to a solution a lot like yours a couple weeks ago.

https://forum.hintofriches.com/forum...5548#post55548
          Last edited by WanderingLost; 10-26-2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flytomoon View Post
            Hey everyone. This is my first post here. But I’ve been around for a few months now. I can’t thank you all enough for your insights and theories.

I thought I’d start giving back in what is hopefully a very meaningful way. At least it should spur on some thoughts and hopefully a good discussion. This is a big one to release from my way of thinking. I feel like it gives enough away about how I’ve been approaching a solve without giving away an exact location. I have a lot more I could say and I'm happy to answer some questions, but I wanted to get this out to you all.

Disclaimer: I knew none of the underlying facts below before I came up with this part of the solve.* There was no way I could subconsciously make these connections.

Also, please keep in mind that Forrest did name his alligator Beowulf.

The Fallen Astronaut Solve (all of us eventually)

As I have gone alone in there
            As I halve ‘gone alone in there’ (half of quote = go neal on)

And with my treasures bold
            And width 'my treasures bold' (width of quote = 15)

Go Neil on (Apollo) and 15 = Apollo 15 - yes, I know Neil went on Apollo 11. Just watch where this goes...

Apollo 15 (known for the Fallen Astronaut and Covers controversies). Read about what Covers are and think about the postage stamps throughout the book. And the picture of the moon. The Fallen Astronaut was the first interstellar art installation.

I can keep (can keep = sealed) my secret where.

And hint of riches (hint of riches = Hinrichs = old time surname etymology) new (knew) and old (ol' d = dad).
            For those unaware. Eric Sloane was Forrest’s best friend, and his real name was Everard Jean Hinrichs. Edit: *I did know Sloane's last name was Hinrichs, so that does play a part in influencing this part of the solve.

The first part of the poem solve:
            Fallen Astronaut Covers where I sealed my secret. And Hinrichs and dad knew.

It would be amazingly uncanny if Forrest knew the person who placed that Fallen Astronaut sculpture on the moon, Dave Scott… He does! I had never read this before finding this part of the solve. Thank you Google.
            https://mysteriouswritings.com/featu...e-to-the-moon/

Here's a bonus solve to one of the hints in TTOTC.

TTOTC P. 45

'Then my father sold our '36 Chevy and got a '41 Plymouth

instead. I couldn't understand how he could do that to such a

faithful car that had been a member of the family like the rest of us.

How would you like to be replaced by a newer model?'

Here you've got a description of a car. A faithful car that is replaced by a newer model. This can be simplified to an Old Faithful car. Do this over and over in every chapter.

Has anyone else been down this path? Any thoughts on the approach in general?
            I love your interpretation of the first part of the poem. Eric is a really important part of my solve too.
            "I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying 'flee at once - all is discovered.' They all left town immediately." ~ Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by WanderingLost View Post
              What I mean by this is you can hen peck any verse into meaning anything you want it to say. Instead of flogging butter into battleships why not tell us about the key that you used in the selection of your costruction. Picking anything to be anything will-I-nil-I has no reasoning behind it. What guidance or rules did you use? Why didnt you get, "I ego on her" from "As I have gone alone in there?" If you could come up with justification for why Neil Armstrong popped his head into this, I'd live to hear it.

PS: I believe Grendel would have made a better gator name. I also believe I was the one that started the "Go neal on" line as a joke in reply to a solution a lot like yours a couple weeks ago.

https://forum.hintofriches.com/forum...5548#post55548
              I did see your post. Which I threw into my pile of non-bias confirmation. I’ve had this and much more since June. My method for that line was more literal 1st POV. As I personally halve ‘As I halve gone alone...’. Neal go on could also be a pew or maybe many other things. I took the path of least resistance. The obvious thing that came to my mind first. I may have doubted it if it wasn’t for the historical facts I came across as I followed it to its end.

Comment

Originally posted by flytomoon View Post

I did see your post. Which I threw into my pile of non-bias confirmation. I’ve had this and much more since June. My method for that line was more literal 1st POV. As I personally halve ‘As I halve gone alone...’. Neal go on could also be a pew or maybe many other things. I took the path of least resistance. The obvious thing that came to my mind first. I may have doubted it if it wasn’t for the historical facts I came across as I followed it to its end.
                I really was joking when I wrote that weeks ago. I can arrange anything into just about anything I want. When this topic came up before I suggested the other searcher look up the equidistant letter sequence method. This is how they came up with the Bible Code and Torah Codes. There are free programs online thst you can use ti do tjis. The searcher i refrenced to th8s said it was a great tool and provided her with a lot of insight. Look it uo and let me know if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by WanderingLost View Post

I really was joking when I wrote that weeks ago. I can arrange anything into just about anything I want. When this topic came up before I suggested the other searcher look up the equidistant letter sequence method. This is how they came up with the Bible Code and Torah Codes. There are free programs online thst you can use ti do tjis. The searcher i refrenced to th8s said it was a great tool and provided her with a lot of insight. Look it uo and let me know if it helps.
                  haha. I'll pass on the bible codes. And like I said, I threw your off-handed reference into a pile. I think the logic I followed is really straightforward. I halved part of a sentence, and I took the width of part of the next . Nothing too fancy. Just following directions if that's what they were. There are many other interpretations of these first lines. Take it or leave it.

I think the entire solve is a cryptic crossword puzzle. The hint example is a good place to start with that.

No one has mentioned the uncanny path this led me down. The Fallen Astronaut art installation and Forrest's connection to it. Both of which I was completely unaware of when I came up with Apollo 15. No matter what you believe about this solution to this part the riddle, you've got to admit that's an amazing coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by BritChaser View Post
                    I didn't know he died more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by BritChaser View Post
                      Scuba diving, age 50.?

Comment

Originally posted by Rorschach.Tested View Post

Scuba diving, age 50.?
                        I think you are mixed up - Skippy died at age 50 while diving. Sloane died right after he turned 80 in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post
                          I’m not sure I’m smart enough to understand the whole solve but I do have a broken down old Ford in my solve. I do believe an old car is vital but I haven’t tied it to anything substantial. I think Forrest ran away from something. He ended up in an area half way between Yellowstone and home. His brother eventually found him. I think he found something and didn’t say what.

Spare tires falls along this thought as well. They were looking for replacements to get them to wherever they were going.

Ive been thinking today about why he even titled his book the thrill of the chase. What are we chasing? We aren’t chasing anything, we are searching. It’s almost as if we have to catch something. But what?

I don’t know. Just rambling.
                          Wrong kind of "Chase" check out wiktionary....(see below) anything there that Forrest would know about?

Etymology 3[edit]

Possibly from obsolete French chas (“groove”, “enclosure”), from Old French, from Latin capsa, box. Or perhaps a shortening or derivative of enchase. Noun[edit]

chase (plural chases)
                          1. A groove cut in an object; a slot: the chase for the quarrel on a crossbow.
                          2. (architecture) A trench or channel or other encasement structure for encasing (archaically spelled enchasing) drainpipes or wiring; a hollow space in the wall of a building encasing ventilation ducts, chimney flues, wires, cables or plumbing.
                          3. The part of a gun in front of the trunnions.
                          4. The cavity of a mold.
                          5. (shipbuilding) A kind of joint by which an overlap joint is changed to a flush joint by means of a gradually deepening rabbet, as at the ends of clinker-builtboats.

Comment

The age 80 does seem to have relevance. Eric Sloane passed in 1985. Also good to know for timeline factors. Eric Sloane also had Air Force connections. And i believe it was him or one other deceased person. That knew Forrest's secret. I am still convinced there is more to the location then just a nice place to eat a sandwich. But on a different note. It is interesting that Preston quoted ff in saying " even with all the clue, it's difficult to find." So being exposed and you would know being within 12ft. Makes the last clue over 15ft away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburnt1 View Post
                              The age 80 does seem to have relevance. Eric Sloane passed in 1985. Also good to know for timeline factors. Eric Sloane also had Air Force connections. And i believe it was him or one other deceased person. That knew Forrest's secret. I am still convinced there is more to the location then just a nice place to eat a sandwich. But on a different note. It is interesting that Preston quoted ff in saying " even with all the clue, it's difficult to find." So being exposed and you would know being within 12ft. Makes the last clue over 15ft away.
                              Think about it.....If you really tried hard....could you find and then get within 12' of Brad Pitt ? Hard and very difficult I think and then there are always the rangers that protect him, IMO
                              1f

Comment

Working...
                              X