Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a 79 or 80 year old man capable of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trueyeti View Post

Hey big,
    How's about 3,800 feet? I recall that he said two trips and about few miles. Could he have done 2.87 miles in an afternoon? Picture attached. Yeah...its "in there" like he said...its a slight elevation drop anyways down and in that canyon. Cheers.
    Good luck with that way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Livinlifebig View Post

You're correct OP, numbers don't help in solving the poem. Numbers help in confirming the location after it has been solved.
      After determining the location without using numbers, why would you start using them?
      To me, it makes more sense to just solve the poem, make sure that the description of the hidey spot can be described as a place WWWH,
      and then prepare properly for the search trip and search hike (don't hike alone), and go get the goodies. No rocket science or math involved. And you don't even have to count how many pieces of "broken pie" you find. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Comment

You're correct OP, numbers don't help in solving the poem. Numbers help in confirming the location after it has been solved.
        That is exactly what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

After determining the location without using numbers, why would you start using them?
          To me, it makes more sense to just solve the poem, make sure that the description of the hidey spot can be described as a place WWWH,
          and then prepare properly for the search trip and search hike (don't hike alone), and go get the goodies. No rocket science or math involved. And you don't even have to count how many pieces of "broken pie" you find. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
          Because once you're at the spot it a scavenger hunt and takes a lot of time. So why not confirm the spot before you start the scavenger hunt if you can.

And why all the question? How about something of substance from you OP?

Comment

Tsk.
            Thanks for the "Tsk". Maybe you would appreciate the same passage from The New BOTG Translation:

Roamings 8/11
            If the "X" in spirit of him who raised Fenn from the jungle dwells in you, he who raised Forrest Fenn from the karst will also give life to your mortal bodies through the "X" in spirit which dwells in you.
            Last edited by elperro; 06-22-2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Good luck with that way of thinking.
              Hey OP,
              That comment of mine was a question mate. Not a statement. If the question can be considered by a "child," then why can't you think like one? Didn't Forrest say that we should "show the poem to a child?" And what did he say about imagination and flexibility? IMO, your comment reflects a form of jadedness. IMO, it reflects prejudiced subjectivity....to a certain extent. Remember what Forrest has to say about flexibility. IMO what he said....goes to unprejudiced objectivity, as opposed to the other. Cheers.

Comment

"Fantastic" is subjective, in the same way that "interesting" is.
                It's subjective, of course, but I use the word in comparison with the 10 billion other places one could pick in the Rockies. Or relative to anywhere else that has been posted here.

Comment

Because once you're at the spot it a scavenger hunt and takes a lot of time. So why not confirm the spot before you start the scavenger hunt if you can.

And why all the question? How about something of substance from you OP?
                  Good luck with your scavenger hunting.
                  In my opinion the only substantial confirmation of the hidey spot is finding the trove (or a token from Fenn) there . . . and it would be hard to verify that a token is from Fenn.
                  I apologize for asking too many questions.
                  Regarding substance, I don't yet want to steer someone right to the tiny search spot I have found, because I haven't decided to never search there again for the chest.
                  (Not that it's getting any easier to do that hike, as I get more tired and weak.)

Comment

Good luck with your scavenger hunting.
                    In my opinion the only substantial confirmation of the hidey spot is finding the trove (or a token from Fenn) there . . . and it would be hard to verify that a token is from Fenn.
                    I apologize for asking too many questions.
                    Regarding substance, I don't yet want to steer someone right to the tiny search spot I have found, because I haven't decided to never search there again for the chest.
                    (Not that it's getting any easier to do that hike, as I get more tired and weak.)
                    Hey OP,
                    IMO "trove" and "grove" match well. IMO....there is a "grove" of juniper trees in the shape of an arrow, IMO that is the hidey-hole. IMO....Forrest's lines "So why is it that I must go And leave my trove for all to seek?" express the sentiment of a "lament."

IMO these lines show sentiment, as opposed to "And with my treasures bold" which does seem to convey a sentiment of "boldness" and "bravery." IMO, that line has a sentiment that IMO, is the opposite of the first two that I mentioned.

There in the Poem, IMO, two sentiments are being expressed....the excitement of an adventure.....and then the sadness of the ending. IMO, if he was a 79- or 80-year-old coyote saying, "So why is it that I must go" then it would be best expressed with the loneliest, saddest, longest coyote howl-cry that you can imagine. IMO the sentiment is there in those places within the poem. IMO Forrest used the word "trove" as a clue pointing like an arrow at the word "grove."
                    "Pointing," like an arrow......to the grove of juniper trees in the shape of an arrow, where IMO he buried his gold at his trove." Buried his trove at the grove. IMO the trove is the grove of trees. History shows a long human attachment to "sacred groves" of trees. Google it. In the context of Forrest's poem....a grove of sacred trees are considered a "trove" (as per the dictionary). Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by trueyeti View Post

Hey OP,
                      IMO "trove" and "grove" match well. IMO....there is a "grove" of juniper trees in the shape of an arrow, IMO that is the hidey-hole. IMO....Forrest's lines "So why is it that I must go And leave my trove for all to seek?" express the sentiment of a "lament."

IMO these lines show sentiment, as opposed to "And with my treasures bold" which does seem to convey a sentiment of "boldness" and "bravery." IMO, that line has a sentiment that IMO, is the opposite of the first two that I mentioned.

There in the Poem, IMO, two sentiments are being expressed....the excitement of an adventure.....and then the sadness of the ending. IMO, if he was a 79- or 80-year-old coyote saying, "So why is it that I must go" then it would be best expressed with the loneliest, saddest, longest coyote howl-cry that you can imagine. IMO the sentiment is there in those places within the poem. IMO Forrest used the word "trove" as a clue pointing like an arrow at the word "grove."
                      "Pointing," like an arrow......to the grove of juniper trees in the shape of an arrow, where IMO he buried his gold at his trove." Buried his trove at the grove. IMO the trove is the grove of trees. History shows a long human attachment to "sacred groves" of trees. Google it. In the context of Forrest's poem....a grove of sacred trees are considered a "trove" (as per the dictionary). Cheers.

If the treasure is a grove of trees, then many -- or most -- of us have struck it rich. Congratulations . . . and thanks for this education.

Comment

If the treasure is a grove of trees, then many -- or most -- of us have struck it rich. Congratulations . . . and thanks for this education.
                        Hey OP,
                        If you have time, Google "sacred groves of trees wikipedia" and glance at the article. IMO...Forrest did use the grove of juniper trees. I have read elsewhere, that the Navajo equate the juniper to the "tree of life." I find it interesting in this context that Forrest buried his chest at a grove of juniper trees (IMO), the metaphor equivalent of "the tree of life," and that he had envisioned himself throwing his dying body onto the chest at that grove. Yeah, trove alright in that context. Anyway...all that's fine and dandy, but I need the claim/burden of proof/etc.... Cheers. PS. The area has many stumps of harvested juniper trees. I find it compelling that the natives did not disturb the grove of juniper trees. Almost all of the juniper out there in the vicinity have either been cut entirely, leaving only the stumps, or they have had their branches harvested. Its quite a remarkable observation IMO. Cheers again. Some pics attached....

Comment

envisioning Fenn, at almost eighty…

https://www.google.com/search?q=swar...fcdUA1dEY,st:0

Comment

Working...
                          X