Religious clues in the poem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious clues in the poem

I know a few don't think F used biblical type clues in his poem, being his church is in the mountains and all.

However, consider that the clues themselves (the places on a map) don't just have to exist for hundreds of years, but a way to interpret them has to as well.

Biblical stories do just that. They have lived on for hundreds of years already and can likely be expected to continue to do so.

Keep that in mind when Gabriel sounds his big horn as the end draws nigh or when one must be wise and look toward the sky for a shiny object to use as their beacon.

A symbolic rendition...

Comment

The Bible is "important literature" too.
      Forrest had Moses and he had Minerva, he mentioned Thor, and more. So what's that say? I don't think he was making a religious experience out of the Chase. That just comes naturally with the great creation we witness in nature.

Comment

You opinion is interesting to me. I happen to believe the blaze is closely connected to a specific religion. I don't think that the blaze itself has anything to do with religion, however I believe that a specific religious group encountered the terrible fait of the blaze one afternoon long ago and it was a really big deal...
        If you give a mouse a cookie. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Not4but242Walk View Post
          I know a few don't think F used biblical type clues in his poem, being his church is in the mountains and all.

However, consider that the clues themselves (the places on a map) don't just have to exist for hundreds of years, but a way to interpret them has to as well.

Biblical stories do just that. They have lived on for hundreds of years already and can likely be expected to continue to do so.

Keep that in mind when Gabriel sounds his big horn as the end draws nigh or when one must be wise and look toward the sky for a shiny object to use as their beacon.
          This makes some sense to me. I suspect that Christianity -- or something similar to it -- in some ways played a role in Fenn's decision about where to hide his trove. Are you talking about Gabe Kaplan, or Peter Gabriel? Fenn was enamored of celebrity, don'tcha know.

Comment

Originally posted by Not4but242Walk View Post

There is one biblical reference in the poem. "If you've been wise and found the blaze." Who in the bible was wise? Possibly the Wisemen. And what were the Wisemen following? They were following a star. The blaze was a star on a tree formed by the bark of a tree. It took Forrest 15 years to write the poem. Now it's possible that when Forrest first mapped out the solution, that he might have nailed a wooden star to the tree, and in the ensuing 15 years the bark formed around the wooden star and then he removed the star. Now if someone were to ask him if the blaze was man made he could honestly say that it wasn't man made. It was the tree or nature forming bark around the star. The cover of OUAW shows a stick figure with a fishing pole. And what was the stick figure fishing for? He was fishing for a star.
            Last edited by Anna Graham; 05-15-2022, 01:36 AM.
            All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
            --Arthur Schopenhauer--

Comment

It was deeper than religion for the big man. The whole chase was him, beneath the skin, seeking forgiveness in way of a message.

The only thing he need do, in my eyes anyway, was forgive himself. God would do the rest.

Comment

Many seem to forget Forrest turned away from the church teachings when he needed it the most. His father, who could do no wrong in his eyes, had taken his own life. Right after that, he was diagnosed with cancer. When Forrest says he was a spiritual man, I believe he searched for a way to pay for his past sins. Death and the idea of facing the afterlife comes into clear focus, when someone gives you a 20 percent chance. Forrest wanted to pay his indulgence, and early on rushed to do so. He found more time to look into many ways of cleansing the soul and rebirth. I think the chase, when it finally came to be in 2010, had a few past sins he felt a need to pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Graham View Post

There is one biblical reference in the poem. "If you've been wise and found the blaze." Who in the bible was wise? Possibly the Wisemen. And what were the Wisemen following? They were following a star. The blaze was a star on a tree formed by the bark of a tree. It took Forrest 15 years to write the poem. Now it's possible that when Forrest first mapped out the solution, that he might have nailed a wooden star to the tree, and in the ensuing 15 years the bark formed around the wooden star and then he removed the star. Now if someone were to ask him if the blaze was man made he could honestly say that it wasn't man made. It was the tree or nature forming bark around the star. The cover of OUAW shows a stick figure with a fishing pole. And what was the stick figure fishing for? He was fishing for a star.
                  i believe the star was a blaze too. i believe the whole poem lined up to the first watercolor abstract painting that Fenn first blogged about. the artist who painted that said it was a spiritual piece of art and it told a story from the bible. also when Forrest uses the definition of abstract its not really the correct definition it is slightly off by saying it can be seen from a visual reference within the world. i think he was trying to tell us the abstract painting can be seen with a visual reference somewhere in the real world. wouldn't that be crazy and powerful? a 100 yr old abstract painting matching with an area in the rocky mountains. images pulled from the poem match and the literature matches. i believe it was just a blueprint. he built his life around art. its something he knew like the back of his hand. Forrest was a spiritual man yes. but he followed only one god and that is the person he lived through. WWWH. they halt on a canvas. but i think the bigger lesson was that its all just material things. temporary treasures. what a better way for the man to show Fenn by using something he loved and collected. Fenn realized this when he got cancer he realized all the things he has is really stuff you cant take with you and is all meaningless. so that is when he started building his empire of permanent treasures. It was all he had left just as he stated in the last interview along with a couple lines from a psalm of life. look at the meaning of that poem. for the people who argue different are just stuck on the box of gold. and this is why i believe the true solution will never come out and i dont blame him but at the same time i kind of do because its a beautiful story that all should hear. everyone is guilty of a little bit of false advertisement, and he truly was guilty but only by inuendo. "i wish i could have lived to do the things i was attributed to" I've seen dozens of people make these connections and i am glad that other got the message as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X