Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have View Ranger map app. It lets you Mark your position, plot out a course, let's you know when you have veered from your course. It also has buddy beacon, so it keeps track of the people in your group. Also, I have a disability and I have learned DO NOT trust that you think you can get back to your car, or wherever it is you may have stashed your recovery meds, or whatever it is that you need. Pace yourself, don't be stupid and over extend yourself. A tired hiker, can be a dead hiker in seconds.

Comment

I've learned to take a canned air-horn. I'll give it a few short blast at dusk and while I am hiking to shy away the Griz........
      A good forger attempts to deceive the naked human eye.
      It's part of the challenge in the game he plays.

Deceiving science when it is done thru guidelines and in expert hands is however, practically impossible!"

Comment

A sweet option for BOTG from Rambling Pam:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLauGtiPMXM

Comment

Protein for energy and water, water, water
          carry something you can use for an emergency shelter
          also think ultralight when picking hiking equipment
          carry only what you need, lighter is better

Comment

If you can't take grandpa with you, you're in the wrong place!
            To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
              If you can't take grandpa with you, you're in the wrong place!
              And no matter your thoughts about Forrest Fenn, don’t think your grandpa is a super hero. Just think of a typical 85-90 year old man.

Comment

A lot of the places in the Rocky Mountains don't have cellular reception so I found out that for like 7-10 dollars you can rent a Satellite phone - not always necessary but an inexpensive back-up if things go bad... Just search Renting Satellite phones and different options will come up for different areas.

GCG

Comment

Here is a site that is a MUST READ if you’re foolish enough to cross creeks or rivers this spring...

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tr...ossing-safety/

Comment

IMO - waterproof matches and/or a piece of magnesium - are always great fire starters that should be in a kit too.
                    Tim (ZosoRocks)
                    Last edited by Tim (ZosoRocks); 05-05-2018, 11:30 PM. Reason: Edit - missed word - "of"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim (ZosoRocks) View Post
                      IMO - waterproof matches and/or a piece of magnesium - are always great fire starters that should be in a kit too.
                      It's important to use the magnesium at home to prep the material, learn the technique, and find out if the one you got is worth a damn before having to rely on it in an emergency.
                      “We’re gonna teach ‘em how to say goodbye.” — George Washington, Hamilton

Comment

Backpacking tips

Comment

Nice tips Mr. Sadcom
                          "It is fun to arrange words in such a way that you have to smile at the end of a sentence." - Forrest Fenn

Comment

Some of them I learnt the hard way. Over reliance on gadgets is the Achilles heel of modern generation.
                            Although, carrying two cell phones allowed me to quickly track the one that I left in the bus, run across Denver's airport to the exact spot where the bus was parked, and retrieve it safely. Redundancy is always underestimated!

Couple more tips:
                            - have extra cotton t-shirts and dense synthetic cloth that can be added and removed as layers;
                            - have a compass, especially in a mountaineous area

Comment

Originally posted by HBrown View Post
                              Extra pair of socks and steel toe hiking boots.
                              Extra socks? YES!! Steel toed boots? NO! Steel toes are for crush safety as you would encounter on the job, but for hiking they are heavy, cold and overkill. Just as an example, forest fire fighters are prohibited to wear steel toed boots. Extra socks to keep your feet warm and dry, and strong soled boots with good ankle support to protect your feet. OSHA requires steel toes, Smokey the Bear doesn't own a pair.

Ask a Boy Scout: https://boyslife.org/outdoors/ask-th...ts-for-hiking/

Comment

Poison ivy / Poison Oak

read about it and watch for it!

(trust me, it’s not fun)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20376485

Comment

Working...
                                X