Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skirting the truth. Help with a fenn quote.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

I had to look up both prevaricating and quibbling. As far as I can tell they mean pretty much the same thing. I seem to recall that Forrest also used the word equivocate somewhere but I can't find the quote. I think equivocate means the same thing as quibble or prevaricate. This is an example of why it's so difficult for me to figure things out. Not only do I have to look up synonyms, but I also have to look up definitions.
    While they can be used interchangeably, their nuances are the fun part: to equivocate gives equal voice to one thing, essentially splitting the agency of representation; talking out of both sides of the mouth comes to mind. To prevaricate combines the making of some single focused thing into something vague or various with the act of ambulation, therefore to sidestep or straddle with the mouth. Quibble is a great amorphous obfuscation, and it humorously does it by corrupting old Latin/legal terms normally used for exactly the opposite purpose. Turning things into puns and, better still, contrary puns, is what Fenn enjoys most as the erudite redneck, the uneducated pedant. Cheeky.

But typically, Fenn's evasion relies on staging the answer. How many conditions does he make foundation for in
    > Were all the evidence truly known (there's two right there)
    > You might say (two more)
    > If I were to say (two more)

Truth and candor are not related except by subject matter. Veracity and disclosure have nothing in common if you're not under oath, and we know that Fenn overwhelmingly stages his own deposition, and restages it when being queried by others. So, if you're going to tell the truth, don't tell all of it: it's called lying the truth. If you're going to make full disclosure, take control of the question and answer what is a slightly different question than originally posed. He does it almost every time.

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post
      Bags and backpacks are methods used to transport.

If he'd said "yes" then the nutters would have seen that as confirmation that they are justified in running some whitewater rapids to get to their spot.
      Even more would see it as confirmation for the use of climbing gear and would set about scaling cliffs.
      Others would use an ATV or other mode of transport to travel great distances into the backcountry.

There's actually a cleverness about his answer, as always.
      His refusal to give a direct answer actually speaks volumes.

"... YOUR WORDING OF THE QUESTION …"

So, one needs to analyze the question, because that's where you'll find the jewels.

back and forth = truck

But no, he didn't use a truck to go from his vehicle to the spot and back.
      Forrest loves these types of questions, it gives him the opportunity to polish his very impressive skill with words.

https://www.classicthesaurus.com/back-and-forth

https://www.classicthesaurus.com/truck/synonyms
      I think it's on page two, that you'll see - truck=backpack

That would explain his answer about prevaricating and quibbling.
      Fenn will have no truck with this question.

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post

Dang, for a minute there, I coulda swore you said Lois and Clark.
        I was sure a window pane somewhere in Mississippi was about to break.
        https://www.classicthesaurus.com/superman
        https://www.classicthesaurus.com/tra...ion/synonyms/2
        I did, How is that knowing even possible, auto save, duh. when i first typed it, thats what came out. neat. And wolf thinks super dave has something to do with this? what do u think are the 2 candy bars. whats the wrapper? Sacha thought it was over, 3rd paragraph 202 treasure island. I dont wanna check brad pitt pretty rock fail safe, bill gormans, sb116, You figure it out then and go check it.

Comment

Originally posted by khan View Post
          I did, How is that knowing even possible, auto save, duh. when i first typed it, thats what came out. neat. And wolf thinks super dave has something to do with this? what do u think are the 2 candy bars. whats the wrapper? Sacha thought it was over, 3rd paragraph 202 treasure island. I dont wanna check brad pitt pretty rock fail safe, bill gormans, sb116, You figure it out then and go check it.
          The wrapper; that's an easy one: 50 cent; that's 2x2bits or catch 22.
          Chase Theme Song: Chinese Democracy (Lyrics)
          Rule #X: Never trust anyone; ever!

Comment

Originally posted by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf View Post

The wrapper; that's an easy one: 50 cent; that's 2x2bits or catch 22.
            Not fiddy! The candy are the 9 clues, and then wrapped up and nailed down and then dal throws them away, then gadi talks of treasure island and a secret inside. Then there's a nest wrecked by a marmot. Don't get me started with tr. Some DUDE thought I was cra today, I only see gatherers in the field, who's hunting? Some DUDE found 10 mil in Wy. that's super dave kew.

Comment

Originally posted by khan View Post

Not fiddy! The candy are the 9 clues, and then wrapped up and nailed down and then dal throws them away, then gadi talks of treasure island and a secret inside. Then there's a nest wrecked by a marmot. Don't get me started with tr. Some DUDE thought I was cra today, I only see gatherers in the field, who's hunting? Some DUDE found 10 mil in Wy. that's super dave kew.
              Damn marmots!
              Super Dave that's Ozzy's cousin; little known fact.
              what are the gatherers gathering in the field?
              Last edited by NoStaticAtALL_IN_hi-deaf; 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM.
              Chase Theme Song: Chinese Democracy (Lyrics)
              Rule #X: Never trust anyone; ever!

Comment

Working...
              X