Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skirting the truth. Help with a fenn quote.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skirting the truth. Help with a fenn quote.

    I really like the exchanges that seem to push fenn into a corner or at least to choose his words carefully in order to answer. I'm thinking that the best information can come from these. Here's the one I've been thinking about and would love input:

    Forrest, You said you made two trips from your car to hide the treasure. Besides walking, did you use any other methods of transportation to get back and forth between the car and the hide? Thanks, Edgar

    Edgar, your wording of the question prompts me to pause and wonder if I can answer it candidly, yet correctly. Were all the evidence truly known, and I answered in the positive, you might say I was prevaricating, by some definitions of the word. And if I answered in the negative, you may claim that I was quibbling. So I will stay quiet on that subject. Thanks for the question anyway. f


    So if he answers one way, Edgar might think he's lying or skirting the truth, if he answers the other Edgar's gonna think he's quibbling.

    I've tried to think of all the possibilities there are and how they fit with the answer.
    One possibility just hit me suddenly, and maybe its inconsequential. What if the other methods of transportation apply to his ability to move the treasure, not himself. Say, a wagon to pull it or a float of some kind to move it along a waterway? So he uses other forms of transportation, but for the goodies and not him and this is why its difficult to answer. Any thoughts?

    I am aware that some people take this quote to mean he climbed, crawled, waded etc. Just trying a different approach here.

  • #2
    I'm also aware of this exchange, but the answer is vague: Mysterious WritingsInto the Arena: Featured Question with Forrest

    BY JENNY KILE · AUGUST 25, 2014

    empty spectator chairsMr. Fenn,
    When you made the two trips from your car to hide the chest and the gold, did you carry it openly in your hands or in some type of bag or backpack?

    .

    I did both. It was a special time of fulfillment for me and I can still sense now, the elation I felt then. It’s the only time I recall laughing out loud at myself. Hiding that treasure chest full of gold and jewels was fundamental to how I feel about living life to its stretched best, and it emphasizes my aversion to seeing anyone be a spectator to today’s opportunities.f

    Comment


    • #3
      The key, for Edgar's question, is in the word "use."

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not sure I follow

        Comment


        • #5
          Bags and backpacks are methods used to transport.

          If he'd said "yes" then the nutters would have seen that as confirmation that they are justified in running some whitewater rapids to get to their spot.
          Even more would see it as confirmation for the use of climbing gear and would set about scaling cliffs.
          Others would use an ATV or other mode of transport to travel great distances into the backcountry.

          There's actually a cleverness about his answer, as always.
          His refusal to give a direct answer actually speaks volumes.

          "... YOUR WORDING OF THE QUESTION …"

          So, one needs to analyze the question, because that's where you'll find the jewels.

          back and forth = truck

          But no, he didn't use a truck to go from his vehicle to the spot and back.
          Forrest loves these types of questions, it gives him the opportunity to polish his very impressive skill with words.

          https://www.classicthesaurus.com/back-and-forth

          https://www.classicthesaurus.com/truck/synonyms
          I think it's on page two, that you'll see - truck=backpack

          That would explain his answer about prevaricating and quibbling.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FollowMeDown View Post
            I'm not sure I follow
            Imagine for one moment that you're caught short in the middle of town. There's a Greyhound station across the street. You walk into the station and make use of the restroom. Then you leave without stepping onto a bus. Have you used the transit system or not? You could argue it both ways, but might be accused of prevaricating or quibbling whichever answer you gave.
            Last edited by voxpops; 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Here's another possibility....

              What if he set up a hiding spot by having something moved into place long before he hid the TC? Then on the day he hid the chest he only needed to go there and 'open' the hiding spot, then deposit the TC.

              Think about how that question relates to those series of events.

              Comment


              • #8
                The question from Edgar also asked if Fenn "Besides walking, did you use any other methods of transportation...". I interpreted his equivocation to mean he didn't just "walk". Fenn might have been more willing to answer if Edgar had asked him if he "hiked", which could involve climbing, stepping over, jumping, crawling, etc. Walking implies a very particular type of movement, which is typically only possible on flat, open terrain. He can't say "yes", because some other movement might have been necessary. He couldn't say "no" because searchers might not distinguish between "walking" and "stepping over" as different actions (even though they technically are). Edgar was trying to find out what kind of terrain Fenn navigated to get to the hidey hole, and Fenn was careful with how he answered. I don't think that he was "skirting the truth". He was "skirting Edgar".

                Comment


                • #9
                  The important thing to me is that his answer (in my view) rules out ATV usage, horseback, bicycle, motorcycle, boat or raft, train, plane, helicopter, snowmobile, and other similar stuff. If he used any of that, the answer is a simple "yes".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post
                    Bags and backpacks are methods used to transport.

                    If he'd said "yes" then the nutters would have seen that as confirmation that they are justified in running some whitewater rapids to get to their spot.
                    Even more would see it as confirmation for the use of climbing gear and would set about scaling cliffs.
                    Others would use an ATV or other mode of transport to travel great distances into the backcountry.

                    There's actually a cleverness about his answer, as always.
                    His refusal to give a direct answer actually speaks volumes.

                    "... YOUR WORDING OF THE QUESTION …"

                    So, one needs to analyze the question, because that's where you'll find the jewels.

                    back and forth = truck

                    But no, he didn't use a truck to go from his vehicle to the spot and back.
                    Forrest loves these types of questions, it gives him the opportunity to polish his very impressive skill with words.

                    https://www.classicthesaurus.com/back-and-forth

                    https://www.classicthesaurus.com/truck/synonyms
                    I think it's on page two, that you'll see - truck=backpack

                    That would explain his answer about prevaricating and quibbling.
                    I had to look up both prevaricating and quibbling. As far as I can tell they mean pretty much the same thing. I seem to recall that Forrest also used the word equivocate somewhere but I can't find the quote. I think equivocate means the same thing as quibble or prevaricate. This is an example of why it's so difficult for me to figure things out. Not only do I have to look up synonyms, but I also have to look up definitions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

                      I had to look up both prevaricating and quibbling. As far as I can tell they mean pretty much the same thing. I seem to recall that Forrest also used the word equivocate somewhere but I can't find the quote. I think equivocate means the same thing as quibble or prevaricate. This is an example of why it's so difficult for me to figure things out. Not only do I have to look up synonyms, but I also have to look up definitions.
                      Yea, all three of them mean pretty much the same thing - beat around the bush - use truth sparingly - dither.

                      "What we've learned is that you should always tell the truth, but you should not always tell ALL of the truth."
                      pg. 26, TTOTC.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I still take the answer as the opposite. Even thou the word methods is different then alternative. He could of just of said no . Or only used my two feet. Hiking is a form of walking. The terrain and physicalness makes is subjective to the person doing it. If I'm walking on a paved path.. You'd say I'm just walking. Well it could be a 10 mile walk straight up hill. If I'm walking on a nature trail. You might say I'm hiking even thou it takes no extra energy. . So with his non answer . he left the door open . Because all the facts are not known. It's neive to be commited to one or the other to fit your solve. I'm definitely don't want to take a canoe 65 miles nigh around a lake like ff does. 6 miles would be enough for me. . So I'll agree on the no other object was used to transport your gold.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post

                          Yea, all three of them mean pretty much the same thing - beat around the bush - use truth sparingly - dither.

                          "What we've learned is that you should always tell the truth, but you should not always tell ALL of the truth."
                          pg. 26, TTOTC.
                          Thanks RT! I'm just wondering why he had to use such big words when he could have said something simple like hedging.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Horses can walk and carry stuff, plus "lead searcher" gadi remembers Louis and Clark, so horses to headwaters.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by khan View Post
                              gadi remembers Louis and Clark
                              Dang, for a minute there, I coulda swore you said Lois and Clark.
                              I was sure a window pane somewhere in Mississippi was about to break.
                              https://www.classicthesaurus.com/superman
                              https://www.classicthesaurus.com/tra...ion/synonyms/2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X