BENCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BENCH

How many of you picked up on all the hints to the BENCH? There were plenty. In TTOTC Forrest introduced the bench by saying once he was gone nobody would judge he and Donnie anymore. At the Moby interview, he sat down and said "I always thought I deserved a throne." He talked about Clark Gable the King of Hollywood many times. He wrote about Elton John the King of Pop. He wrote about Elvis the King of Rock 'n' Roll in a SB and drew an Elvis in OUAW. He wrote about Roger Miller singing King of the Road. He wrote about kings, queen's, tears and tsarinas. He wrote about the judge in Wilson Hurley's trial. Forrest said he paid 10 bucks to have horse manure put on the crown of his Brown Stetson. When he asked the question about how would anyone know he was from Texas of he didn't do that it was to help you figure out the elusive you/U because the answer was, because U tell them you are from Texas all the time. Then there was Father on the Banco. Benchmark map.. Forrest and Edard were benched and ran 55 laps to teach the coach a lesson for assigning them 50 laps for chewing Red Man. There were others but you get the idea. Just wondering if his subtle troubadour ways entranced you so much that you missed what he was doing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_203311.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	370148 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_141417.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	784.1 KB
ID:	370149

Forrest hinted to the U in so many clever ways but one of my favorites was a very simple weekly words. A searcher named Mark sent Forrest an email that Forrest shared. Mark said "Don't force the poem to fit your spot." F's response was "thank you Mark" How many times did Forrest tell searchers to think? All you had to do was think about a U mark and you could have unlocked the biggest clue to the riches. Forrest also liked to make a big deal out of saying Thank you, thank you or telling us about all the people who would say thank you Mr. Fenn. Or the prints that would make great I'm thinking of yous. He was trying to help without just giving it away. Another classic way Forrest would hint to the U was to directly ask searchers, "what would you/U do with it?" He was grinning on the inside when he would do that because it was so much fun for him share his secret with U without U knowing. Just remember that as Forrest tells it we can really blame Ralph Lauren because he challenged Forrest by telling him, "you/U can't take it with you/U. Forrest had to show Ralph that he certainly could.

There were of course things like the arched words, the high number of words with u's, the half moon, bananas, grins, smiles, rainbows, omegas, horseshoes, shoes, boots and beards that he used as hints but it was the word itself that he loved to throw around the most.

If not you/U then who?
    If you/U don't know where it is, go back to the first clue..
    If you/U tell your solve to a friend din't be surprised if she shops at Gucci while you/u full your cart at Walmart.
    Simplify if you/U can.
    If you/u are in the right spot something you/u probably have not thought about should be obvious to you/U.
    It doesn't matter who you/u are, it only matters who they think you/u are.
    If you/u know what I mean.
    ​​​​​It ain't what you/U don't know that gets you/u into trouble. It's what you/u know that just ain't so.
    Can you help me please?
    Forrest said he would stump people who wanted to know where it was hidden by asking them "why do you/u want to know?

There were many other too. Forrest was a master at using his 13 year old mind to stump searchers and he proudly proclaimed that he was fine with others calling his writings childish but he had a method they didn't understand. A kid from Texas without a college degree could stump the world.

Other than "Father on the Banco" I didn't pay much attention to either benches or U's ...... I did however consider it a confirmation that the place the clues led me to is, in fact, located on what would be defined as a bench in geographic terms....

Comment

Originally posted by Sal O'mander View Post
      Other than "Father on the Banco" I didn't pay much attention to either benches or U's ...... I did however consider it a confirmation that the place the clues led me to is, in fact, located on what would be defined as a bench in geographic terms....
      And you've been sitting on this info for a while?

Comment

The big picture

Name:	big-hollow-geo-map_orig.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	370312

Comment

Originally posted by Space Hopper View Post

I've had my final spot since about January 2020...
          But I honestly didn't think the bench detail was all that significant...

Comment

One way that Forrest provided hints was to make a mistake. Another example of the U was when he said that Prairie Flower was Quanah Parker's daughter. Forrest wasn't dumb when it came to Indians. If you had bothered to check out Qaunah you would have discovered that Prairie Flower was not his daughter but his sister and her Indian name was Topusana.

In the spice SB I wonder how many caught the mistake when Forrest talked about the cloves. Forrest said he felt jaundiced. You can't feel jaundiced. You look jaundiced and that is a yellow hue. He made such a big deal about cloves because they were a hint for the only place he told us he loved, Yellowstone. He gave all the answers in TTOTC yet some searchers went totally bonkers and searched places he never talked about. Inguess they had a nice vacation though.

Which reminds of his quote about Canasta. "The most common mistake that I see searchers make is that they underestimate the importance of the first clue. If you don’t have that one nailed down you might as well stay home and play Canasta." Forrest provided several hints for the spot in his reply. First he used the word mistake. The treasure was hidden at a stake in the ground. Next he used the word underestimate to introduce a U. Thirdly he said said you had to have it nailed down. You nail down a horseshoe. Fourth he mentions Canasta. Another hint for the U because of the version hand and foot.

Forrest also hinted to the U by wishing searchers good luck all the time. And you do realize you hang a horseshoe. That is why Forrest talked about hanging the outlaw and why Pony called the painting "that thang." Pony herself was a hint as well as One Horse Land and Cattle. Looking back, I think he provided too much but he did want it found and searchers were always overestimating instead of staying in the box.
            Hear me all
            Last edited by Hear me all; 01-05-2022, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I believe it had something to do with a book, an old man, and a bench......

Comment

Originally posted by Hear me all View Post
                One way that Forrest provided hints was to make a mistake. Another example of the U was when he said that Prairie Flower was Quanah Parker's daughter. Forrest wasn't dumb when it came to Indians. If you had bothered to check out Qaunah you would have discovered that Prairie Flower was not his daughter but his sister and her Indian name was Topusana.

In the spice SB I wonder how many caught the mistake when Forrest talked about the cloves. Forrest said he felt jaundiced. You can't feel jaundiced. You look jaundiced and that is a yellow hue. He made such a big deal about cloves because they were a hint for the only place he told us he loved, Yellowstone. He gave all the answers in TTOTC yet some searchers went totally bonkers and searched places he never talked about. Inguess they had a nice vacation though.

Which reminds of his quote about Canasta. "The most common mistake that I see searchers make is that they underestimate the importance of the first clue. If you don’t have that one nailed down you might as well stay home and play Canasta." Forrest provided several hints for the spot in his reply. First he used the word mistake. The treasure was hidden at a stake in the ground. Next he used the word underestimate to introduce a U. Thirdly he said said you had tobhave it nailed down. You nail down a horseshoe. Fourth he mentions Canasta. Another hint for the U because of the version hand and foot.
                Hey Know,
                Canasta is a variation on the card game Gin Rummy. Gin is made from juniper berries. Byron Harvey's nickname was Rummy. Does your location have any juniper trees in the vicinity? How close? Remember Forrest's scrapbook about the juniper tree/log he brought home from San Lazaro? What about the fact that he spread juiper berries under the juiper log?

So how does your location include canasta? How does your location include Richard Wetherill, Byron Harvey, the Navajo Silversmith, the turquoise bracelet, Brown, and how does your bench tie into Milay's palace in the sand.....the place where Forrest felt most comfortable.

Answer those and you have Forrest's "special place." Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Space Hopper View Post

Lol .... I just got the joke... Yeh, I'm a bit slow

Comment

Originally posted by Sal O'mander View Post

Lol .... I just got the joke... Yeh, I'm a bit slow
                    Take your time, lol...

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post
                      I believe it had something to do with a book, an old man, and a bench......
                      Gotta be comfortable...

Comment

Originally posted by trueyeti View Post

Hey Know,
                        Canasta is a variation on the card game Gin Rummy. Gin is made from juniper berries. Byron Harvey's nickname was Rummy. Does your location have any juniper trees in the vicinity? How close? Remember Forrest's scrapbook about the juniper tree/log he brought home from San Lazaro? What about the fact that he spread juiper berries under the juiper log?

So how does your location include canasta? How does your location include Richard Wetherill, Byron Harvey, the Navajo Silversmith, the turquoise bracelet, Brown, and how does your bench tie into Milay's palace in the sand.....the place where Forrest felt most comfortable.

Answer those and you have Forrest's "special place." Cheers!
                        Hi trueyeti - That's a fair amount of specialized knowledge to make those connections. When Forrest wrote the SB about that juniper log it was yet another word with a U. Yes the spot had logs and sand. If you found the LOOK that goes down on the blaze it lands you at the logs below and right next to the U on the post beside them. Forrest was telling the eventual finder it's down low and used the word under again to emphasize the U so they would make the connection and have the solution. Did you know that Forrest didn't win the bracelet playing POOL? He won it playing cards but changed it to POOL because that's onbthe sign which is the blaze. The sign is brown with white letters. The benchmark post is offset several feet from the sign and is several feet tall. A dead ringer is also worth several points and (2) can keep a secret if one of them is dead as in a dead ringer horseshoe. The connection with the bracelet is very simple. There are two (2)'s on the post for the twenty two turquoise beads and the parentheses are shaped like a bracelet. Theybare also the reason Forrest wrote about twins several times, showed his $2 bill, and did the red MY TWO SENSE and MY 2 SENSE postmarks. Click image for larger version

Name:	sean-knew-a-good-not.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	370663

Name:	20210417_140616.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	370664 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_140649.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	370665

The treasure weighed 42 pounds PLUs, best to have gloves. On top of the sand is a thin layer of millings like volcanic pebbles. How do U know where the edge is unless U go out there and look? This is on the edge of Yellowstone the park he sorta loved. It's not on top of a mountain but it may be near the top. It's the top of Yellowstone. The giant X on the map is here. The red, black and green. Most importantly you halted and ceased here because the poem says so. UU

Comment

If you were very keen you would have noticed that Forrest had the photos arranged on the dust jacket exactly the way he wanted as a hint to the route on the map. The upside down leg. If one had tried to walk the route it was too far to walk. The chest wasn't far, it was right at your feet or toe to toe ias Fenn pointed out with his quiz. Straightforward as it could get. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190722_1247541~2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	979.2 KB
ID:	370670 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220105_220102.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	370669

For anyone who is curious the dust jacket contained all U needed just as Forrest said all U need is in the poem. Little Forrest is standing near the wooden WATER sign staring at the gold pile. About halfway on the map the poem directs you turn about halfway along the route so you gave teenager Forrest facing the other way. The poem directs you back to blaze on the map so now you've got older Forrest right back where he started at the gold. The shiny coin represents the bronze benchmark cap. And look under that shiny coin and 6 coins arranged in a U for the U at the base of the post. He put thought into the details.

Comment

Hey Hear,
                            Thanks for the logic....
                            As far as "specialized knowledge"....those 7-elements are not mine....they are Forrest's. Understanding language is of a specialized knowledge....it starts by learning the ABC's....so that term can be considered as "relative."

Although I may have heard that the bracelet was won in a card game and not a game of pool.....can you please remind me......where/when does this information come from? If Forrest....then why did he contradict himself? Why would he "trick" us, "mislead" us in this way.....was it on purpose or, an honest mistake? Why would he say "pool" and then later....say "card game"?

See.....if he really did this.....regarding the bracelet......Then why couldn't he do this with the treasure chest too? You know....Wyoming being set equal to "pool," while it was really the "card game" and New Mexico?

Can you please go further? How does this site tie in all of the facts of Forrest Fenn? Richard Wetherill, Byron Harvey, Brown, Navajo Silversmith, turquoise bracelet, Brown, Milay's palace in the sand....the place where Forrest felt most comfortable? A solve which seamlessly weaves these elements without over-the-shoulder-boulder stretches.....will cut through the subterfuge. Cheers!
                            trueyeti
                            Last edited by trueyeti; 01-07-2022, 06:24 AM.

Comment

If you ever wondered why Forrest had 13 legible postmarks in TTOTC, here ya go.

Name:	20210415_203311.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	370853

Comment

Working...
                              X