X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the wood

If you are brave and in the wood
    i give you title to the gold.

I always thought the lack of a comma here was intentional after wood to give a second meaning. “If you’re brave and in the wood I give you”

It makes me think the stick from the picture was put in the chest by Forrest. I have my thoughts on what Forrest meant by it but I’m curious about other people’s thoughts on this? He used punctuation throughout the rest of the poem and correctly according to Jack if my memory serves me right. It’s hard to imagine the lack of one in this spot was by mistake. Forrest also mentioned one more thing he placed in the chest that was specifically for the finder. I assume it was the piece of wood to symbolize a message he was sending. Others thoughts on this?

For those who do think Forrest put it in there intentionally, do you think Jack really didn’t realize Forrest put it in there and just tossed it aside as he said or that he had his reasons for saying it must have blown in?
    Last edited by Josh222; 12-17-2021, 08:53 PM.

Originally posted by Josh222 View Post

I always thought the lack of a comma here was intentional after wood to give a second meaning. “If you’re brave and in the wood I give you”

It makes me think the stick from the picture was put in the chest by Forrest. I have my thoughts on what Forrest meant by it but I’m curious about other people’s thoughts on this? He used punctuation throughout the rest of the poem and correctly according to Jack if my memory serves me right. It’s hard to imagine the lack of one in this spot was by mistake. Forrest also mentioned one more thing he placed in the chest that was specifically for the finder. I assume it was the piece of wood to symbolize a message he was sending. Others thoughts on this?

For those who do think Forrest put it in there intentionally, do you think Jack really didn’t realize Forrest put it in there and just tossed it aside as he said or that he had his reasons for saying it must have blown in?
    I like your outside-the-box thinking. But if we treat "If you are brave and in the wood I give you" as a condition of a subsequent/following/dependent result, then there should be a verb following the quoted part, and in the same sentence. I don't see this verb contained in "title to the gold". In my solve, the poem doesn't refer specifically to Forrest giving wood to anyone.

I don't think there's any noticeable complication or trickery in the structure, grammar, format, or punctuation of the poem. The cleverness/challenge is in the words. Please note that I'm not saying it's a simple or easy poem to solve. It's difficult. As always, part of my opinion.
    Last edited by Old Pilot; 12-17-2021, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Some additional thoughts:

Is "in" really "within"?

Why "give" and not "grant"?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

I like your outside-the-box thinking. But if we treat "If you are brave and in the wood I give you" as a condition of a subsequent/following/dependent result, then there should be a verb following the quoted part, and in the same sentence. I don't see this verb contained in "title to the gold". In my solve, the poem doesn't refer specifically to Forrest giving wood to anyone.

I don't think there's any noticeable complication or trickery in the structure, grammar, format, or punctuation of the poem. The cleverness/challenge is in the words. Please note that I'm not saying it's a simple or easy poem to solve. It's difficult. As always, part of my opinion.
        Rapscallion! OP is pretty darn interesting

Comment

If you ground assumptions on punctuation do you lose sight of the poem?

Perhaps grind your thyme fine to filter out the gold...

Sorry just having some fun...

Comment

Look, there are many variations of the story that can be told about the twig. I see clear logic that 1st) Jack has placed the twig intentionally and 2nd) Jack needs to obscure the twig because there could be problems if the case ends up in court as illegal removal from YNP

Comment

When was Forrest brave and in the wood in TTOTC ? Looking for Lewis and Clark, he had to be brave and in the wood, and it was worth the cold. Then again in Laos he had to be brave and in the wood, and it was worth the cold. Then we have the reader, who has to be brave and in the wood, and it will be worth the cold when you find the chest. The answers are all in TTOTC not in TFTW or 17 dollars sq inch or the many scrapbooks he put out. TTOTC and the poem. Not a line from TTOTC or a chapter, but he used the whole book. The chapters were not numbered because you have to find the correct order within the solution itself. Teachers with ropes = WWWH No place for Biddies = No place for the Meek. Every pie story fits in its place within the solution. Every book f mentioned meant something. Brave and in the wood belongs together as one clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowledge View Post
                When was Forrest brave and in the wood in TTOTC ? Looking for Lewis and Clark, he had to be brave and in the wood, and it was worth the cold. Then again in Laos he had to be brave and in the wood, and it was worth the cold. Then we have the reader, who has to be brave and in the wood, and it will be worth the cold when you find the chest. The answers are all in TTOTC not in TFTW or 17 dollars sq inch or the many scrapbooks he put out. TTOTC and the poem. Not a line from TTOTC or a chapter, but he used the whole book. The chapters were not numbered because you have to find the correct order within the solution itself. Teachers with ropes = WWWH No place for Biddies = No place for the Meek. Every pie story fits in its place within the solution. Every book f mentioned meant something. Brave and in the wood belongs together as one clue.
                An interesting and subjective interpretation. Besides having the Chest, do you have proof that you interpreted it correctly? If not, your interpretation is no better than anyone else’s.

Comment

It’s the apostrophe that’s missing. ‘wood

Comment

Here's what I think...
                    At one time, we did not have the location narrowed down to four states. My opinion is that "brave and in the wood" was meant to clue you into the area of the chest.
                    I think "brave and in the wood" meant gallant in forest.

Comment

My best guess is that brave and in the wood is a reference to an obscure literary or historical context that somehow translates to "if you have found it." For example (I know this wouldn't be it), if Eureka, CA somehow tied in to those qualities.

Comment

Originally posted by colokidd View Post
                        An interesting and subjective interpretation. Besides having the Chest, do you have proof that you interpreted it correctly? If not, your interpretation is no better than anyone else’s.
                        You apparently jumped to a wrong conclusion. Knowledge's interpretation may be better than someone else's -- although so far, we don't know whether it is, do we? Lack of logic won't help anyone solve the poem, in my opinion.

Comment

In my solve, the poem doesn't refer specifically to Forrest giving wood to anyone.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	365623
                          -

Comment

You apparently jumped to a wrong conclusion. Knowledge's interpretation may be better than someone else's -- although so far, we don't know whether it is, do we? Lack of logic won't help anyone solve the poem, in my opinion.
                            Yes we do, because one is either right or wrong, there is no in-between. Tell me OP, what makes knowledge’s interpretation better than yours? Answer: Nothing, without proof they are both equally wrong. Not only lack of logic but also lack of awareness won't help anyone solve the poem.

Comment

I guess it all depends on how you frame it

Comment

Working...
                              X