Another aberration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another aberration...

The following was posted earlier today by Ryan Bavetta (u/bavetta) on Reddit:

Fenn said the LA Times published how Ronald Reagan had to crawl through the bathroom window of Room #4 at The Dude. Turns out, it was not the LA Times and it was not Reagan.

It was The Missoulian who published the story and Montana governor Tim Babcock who crawled through the window.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/89645104/governor-locked-out-of-the-dude/

"Then lieutenant governor, Babcock, a Republican, became governor in 1962 after his friend Gov. Donald Nutter died in a plane crash on his way to Cut Bank."

source: https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...dies/25414857/

Originally posted by Old Pilot
    If one person locked himself out, perhaps another also did. Does one instance of a similar occurrence necessarily negate the other?
    It's when Fenn inserts a deliberate 'mistake' that one should take notice.

He previously appeared to mix-up the plot of "A Farewell to Arms" with "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

"Ernest Hemingway — who has a cabin named in his honor — completed his first draft of “A Farewell to Arms” in a few weeks at Spear-O."

source: https://www.thesheridanpress.com/new...e6a658b42.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20211128_052842.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	360432

Comment

Originally posted by Not4but242Walk View Post

It was The Missoulian who published the story and Montana governor Tim Babcock who crawled through the window.
      Why do we always have to bring ourselves to such low moral standards. Slang it, anyways!

I always thought you had a higher principled upbringing, Not4but242Walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post

Why do we always have to bring ourselves to such low moral standards. Slang it, anyways!

I always thought you had a higher principled upbringing, Not4but242Walk.
        Sometimes the toilet-bowl of Reddit is about the only thing that can contain all the verbal diarrhea in the chase.

Comment

Sometimes the toilet-bowl of Reddit is about the only thing that can contain all the verbal diarrhea in the chase.
          I feel your pain.

Comment

I feel your pleasure.
            And I though you didn't have humor, OP . . . Gee, was I wrong.

Comment

Fenn said the LA Times published how Ronald Reagan had to crawl through the bathroom window of Room #4 at The Dude. Turns out, it was not the LA Times and it was not Reagan.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/89645104/governor-locked-out-of-the-dude/

"Then lieutenant governor, Babcock, a Republican, became governor in 1962 after his friend Gov. Donald Nutter died in a plane crash on his way to Cut Bank."

source: https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...dies/25414857/
              That's a great find by Ryan -- thanks for crossposting it here. Yeah -- throw that baby on the aberration pile. (And Old Pilot I think the odds of TWO governors crawling through windows at The Dude would be pretty astronomical.) In my solutions, I always assumed the reason for mentioning Reagan was the same as for mentioning Wilson Hurley and Valerie Plame Wilson.

Comment

What I wonder is if Forrest expected us to figure out that Babcock, not Reagan, was the governor who crawled through the window. Tim Babcock has a number of coincidental tie-ins with Forrest's other stories:

Babcock's mother was Olive (Rinehart) Babcock (possible TTOTC olive jar connection)
                Babcock's father name was Erwin (possible Erwin Rommel connection)
                He's a Bronze Star Medal recipient for valor -- (like Forrest)
                Babcock endorsed Barry Goldwater for the Republican 1964 presidential ticket, losing to Lyndon Johnson -- (Barry Goldwater mentioned in Scrapbook 4, Lyndon Johnson mentioned plenty in TTOTC and elsewhere)
                Babcock lost to Forrest H. Anderson in his bid for reelection in 1968.
                In 1969, Babcock was hired by Armand Hammer's Occidential Petroleum as a vice president.

Comment

Reagan was there at that conference. It is possible that Forrest made up the story himself to give The Dude some pizazz. Also possible that someone else switched the names before it got to Forrest. How 'The Dude' came to West Yellowstone | Community Notes | bozemandailychronicle.com

AVC105 (02) | Ronald Reagan (reaganlibrary.gov)

AVC160 | Ronald Reagan (reaganlibrary.gov)

Comment

What reason would that be?
                    Ronald Wilson reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Old blue View Post

Ronald Wilson reagan
                      Old blue : thank you for answering Old Pilot for me. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Max23 View Post
                        Reagan was there at that conference. It is possible that Forrest made up the story himself to give The Dude some pizazz. Also possible that someone else switched the names before it got to Forrest. How 'The Dude' came to West Yellowstone | Community Notes | bozemandailychronicle.com

AVC105 (02) | Ronald Reagan (reaganlibrary.gov)

AVC160 | Ronald Reagan (reaganlibrary.gov)
                        Yes, Reagan being a new governor from a western state, I assumed he would have been at the conference, but thank you for finding solid evidence of that Max23 !

Comment

July 16, 1951:
                          The Catcher in the Rye, is published by Little, Brown.

July 16, 1999:
                          John F. Kennedy, Jr.; his wife, Carolyn Bessette Kennedy; and her sister, Lauren Bessette, die when the single-engine plane that Kennedy was piloting crashes into the Atlantic Ocean near Martha’s Vineyard

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20211216-171845_Edge.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	365270
                            -

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20211216-171845_Edge.jpg
Views:	477