Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about legality

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A question about legality

    Forrest said that he spent thousands of dollars for legal advice relating to a hidey spot. What do you think were Forrest's questions for the expert to answer?

  • #2
    Hundreds of dollars are paid for opinion, but thousands of dollars are paid to make things happen.

    The lawyer would have been asked how to, and instructed to, make the find, retrieval and transfer of the chest legal, in such a way that it cannot be argued by any third party, which might involve land owner issues and the Government. Even if it was in YNP, which I very much doubt Forrest would have done in the first place. See, Forrest was well versed already on land recovery issues, being a hunter of artefacts for nearly 90 years. Those many scrapes with the authorities would have moulded a level of education none of us "know it all's" will ever possess.
    Last edited by Space Hopper; 11-24-2021, 12:32 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
      Forrest said that he spent thousands of dollars for legal advice relating to a hidey spot. What do you think were Forrest's questions for the expert to answer?
      Hi OP,
      There are felonies that rise to burying the chest at Bisti. I have the statutes (not now). One violation is having contest on BLM Wilderness areas. Another is performing an excavation on them.

      Although not an expert on legalities, I speculate that there is a statute of limitations that figure into the equation of the riddle in question. He thought of everything after all. A lawyer figures into the legal issues for Forrest and his adventure. In fact, his plans intrinsically require the said lawyer within the architecture of his treasure hunt. The chest after all, is locked in a vault at a lawyer’s office…or wherever…..

      Yeah, the felonies….the legalities…. hey, he figured all the angles….the hunt, and ALL legal issues associated too…..he had decades……his intellectual capacity…..his mastery of riddles…the puzzle pieces….of the whole picture…..he is the master of…….
      Last edited by trueyeti; 11-24-2021, 06:36 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's not trespassing when you own the land. Unless you are in New Mexico, then it becomes a Wildlife Management Area and "no one" owns it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by property View Post
          It's not trespassing when you own the land. Unless you are in New Mexico, then it becomes a Wildlife Management Area and "no one" owns it.
          Hey,
          The Bisti Badalands Wilderness Area falls under the management of the BLM. BLM rules applly and hence potential felonies....It is was designated a Wilderness Area in 1984 by the U.S. Congress.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Space Hopper View Post
            Hundreds of dollars are paid for opinion, but thousands of dollars are paid to make things happen.

            The lawyer would have been asked how to, and instructed to, make the find, retrieval and transfer of the chest legal, in such a way that it cannot be argued by any third party, which might involve land owner issues and the Government. Even if it was in YNP, which I very much doubt Forrest would have done in the first place. See, Forrest was well versed already on land recovery issues, being a hunter of artefacts for nearly 90 years. Those many scrapes with the authorities would have moulded a level education none of us "know it all's" will ever possess.
            I think it's more of the LLC side such as subchapter s's that's what the lawyer dealt with I'm sure of it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
              Forrest said that he spent thousands of dollars for legal advice relating to a hidey spot. What do you think were Forrest's questions for the expert to answer?
              "What's the best way to secret a Dr Pepper in a National Forest?"

              Comment


              • #8
                I think it was on a plot of land he owned or rented... remember the comment about renting a cabin... or Dals stories of inholder land within the National Parks... Just wondering where there might be some brick houses nearby for Forrest to be jealous of... He sure did not like those fancy brick houses...

                Comment


                • #9
                  I figured he just wanted to be certain that there would be no legality problems. Is there some legal loophole for hiding/ finding it in a national park that would allow a finder to keep the treasure? Extremely unlikely IMO. The inholder land scenario (as mentioned above) has crossed my mind as a possibility, but most of that land will eventually be owned by the parks, so it's not a great long term hiding location.

                  Luckily I'm not looking for it in a national park. I will admit to having extreme confirmation bias that it is not in one.

                  The only way that works is if Fenn "wants" the finder to break the law to keep the treasure. I simply don't see Fenn as being that devious, but then I don't know him personally, so I can't really say.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Space Hopper View Post
                    Hundreds of dollars are paid for opinion, but thousands of dollars are paid to make things happen.

                    The lawyer would have been asked how to, and instructed to, make the find, retrieval and transfer of the chest legal, in such a way that it cannot be argued by any third party, which might involve land owner issues and the Government. Even if it was in YNP, which I very much doubt Forrest would have done in the first place. See, Forrest was well versed already on land recovery issues, being a hunter of artefacts for nearly 90 years. Those many scrapes with the authorities would have moulded a level of education none of us "know it all's" will ever possess.
                    I agree. If Forrest always knew where he wanted to hide it then there were never questions asked about the other types of land. He knew who owned the land and the thousands were spent navigating on how to make it happen.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Spallies View Post
                      I think it was on a plot of land he owned or rented... remember the comment about renting a cabin... or Dals stories of inholder land within the National Parks... Just wondering where there might be some brick houses nearby for Forrest to be jealous of... He sure did not like those fancy brick houses...
                      Bingo! I think we have a winner!
                      1f Billy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
                        Forrest said that he spent thousands of dollars for legal advice relating to a hidey spot. What do you think were Forrest's questions for the expert to answer?
                        Forrest to attorney: "how long is in perpetuity?"
                        1f Billy

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X