Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonymous Hunter View Post

Thank you for putting that out.
    Does the Firehole make sense after FF said "There are hundreds of WWH and most are north of NM." or something to that effect?
    tbh I'd like to try and solve the first 50% that ff told was the first half of the puzzle, using the book. Jack said wwh was one of the big obvious ones that was all over the www/forums, so it's likely to be that./ He did at one point say he felt it wasn't that important (ie he was confident that it was THE wwh). But he was going back and forth through the solve to line it all up, solving it in a different way so I can understand his comments there.

But he eventually had an aha moment. He told me that one word's definition changed things from searching a large area to a much smaller area. I think this was the whole Forrest reducing from the one across the Madison (Huge) to the island area (size of a football pitch). Could it have been that the word was nigh being left (seems a bit silly if he didn't realise that!).. Or is there one word definition that reveals an island is in play? Nopt sure..

Or could his AHA moment have been that he cracked the wwwh solve from the hints and then he gain 100% confidence? He said that he wrote everything he knew up sothat if anything happened to him, his family could still finish it off.. he was that sure!!

IMO we either see the video from ff or we solve the hints based on the fact that it's 100% Hob 9mh.

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
      I would also add that this is supposed to be poetic - its poetry. Why is it that I must go? I've done it tired.... these are poetic references to the Madison river.
      I think Why is it that I must go, was a small nudge to Wyoming. In the same way I would have thought that would be a clue (but there's only supposed to be 9 clues!!) I think it was a hint and the poem also had hints.. lkine brave and in the wood helped solve No place for the Meek..

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
        I would reiterate to the proponents of any solution involving 9MH: Diggin Gypsy crossed to the south side of the Madison at 9MH in the summer of 2012 -- a time when no searcher communicating with Forrest had solved more than 2 clues, including her. If the act of crossing the Madison there is an execution of "From there it's no place for the meek," how had she not solved beyond 2 clues?
        They are exact points to cross and to have solved it you need to have given the correct interpretation and place. Just crossing to the south side isn't solving it.

Someone was within 200 ft and didn't solve any clues remember..

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post

Again, I agree with asking the question, because I know I have. But think about it - even now many do not seem to grasp the subtle step by step procedure that Forrest intended. They get to the 9MH area in all kinds of crazy ways, like the mountain looks like a house, or there is a buffalo shape to the area, or etc. etc. For those that really got to within 200 feet, they were probably drawn by the creek and the lines "no paddle up your creek", but they didn't know the clues in order - which is another thing Forrest said. They didn't really know why they were there, so I suppose the point is that they didn't really develop the confidence in the solution necessary to keep looking for the blaze, with Jack being the exception. They didn't really understand the step by step procedure and have confidence in it. They only really knew two clues (Forrest said some may have known three or four later, he wasn't sure). I think Forrest got a bit of a kick out of saying "no one has more than two clues". He liked that.
          That would be my view on it too Must Listengood . I'd add that getting to the starting place was such a big thing for ff I wouldn't be surprised if wwwh wasn't something we could figure out or at least narrow down from a hint of two in ttotc.

I'm still of the opinion that Jack's burden of proof for a hint is the best advice to lock down real hints. No place for biddies and the long ride home being good candidates of proof. I'd also say that ff hinting at Old Faithful with no heat no water on the other side of the page might be a good one... the Old Faithfall water makes it's way down the Firehole to end at wwwh. It could be a multiple part first half of the solve... then the rest of the poem is straight forward... which many are incredibly disappointed with. But as you say, he kept saying it's straightforward and we'll ask ourselves why we didn't think of it. Except most are saying "It's rubbish if it was that simple"...

Comment

Originally posted by BigOnus View Post

Maybe you shudda held a raffle for charity, choosing the correct solve.
            Letting go of my last one was tough.

I think the GPS solve coming was good for me... it was so rubbish it brought back to earth a little. The idea that it could be that rubbish and simple!!! I hated it.

I honestly thought that ff was a super genius who had threaded so much in to ttotc and it was a work of art..

Turns out it was quite simple, but still pretty hard when the whole of the Rockies was in play. Add on the blaze being broken and no one having a more exact solve even then!! (It's so easy to miss a chest in a nook even if you know the island it's on!).

I know you're struggling to accept. But it has been confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by BritChaser View Post

That would be my view on it too Must Listengood . I'd add that getting to the starting place was such a big thing for ff I wouldn't be surprised if wwwh wasn't something we could figure out or at least narrow down from a hint of two in ttotc.

I'm still of the opinion that Jack's burden of proof for a hint is the best advice to lock down real hints. No place for biddies and the long ride home being good candidates of proof. I'd also say that ff hinting at Old Faithful with no heat no water on the other side of the page might be a good one... the Old Faithfall water makes it's way down the Firehole to end at wwwh. It could be a multiple part first half of the solve... then the rest of the poem is straight forward... which many are incredibly disappointed with. But as you say, he kept saying it's straightforward and we'll ask ourselves why we didn't think of it. Except most are saying "It's rubbish if it was that simple"...
              Are you being paid as promotion agent for the town trotting trio, Brit? Or are you just lost in your own tangled mess?

Comment

I honestly thought that ff was a super genius who had threaded so much in to ttotc and it was a work of art..
                Forrest was a bright guy. He lit up the room whenever he entered.

But it has been confirmed.
                That's the bit sensible folk struggle with.

When will one stop slurping on the secret source soup?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Hunter View Post
                  Help me out here. I am quite dubious about 9 mile. I may have missed it but would one (or more) of you believers give me the 9 clues in order? Starting with WWH and ending at 9 mile?
                  Forrest said the poem was a map so we should be able to go step by step to the ending. Also, Forrest remarked that after finding the TC you would say "Why didn't I find it sooner?" or something to that effect. So it seems the clues should be obvious once solved.
                  Now for all you non believers give them their due and please let them lay out the trial so we all can understand.
                  AH
                  The clues are not in order for the forced bogus 9MH solve. Forrest said the clues must be followed in order. The entire solve is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Round Peg, Square Hole View Post

Forrest was a bright guy. He lit up the room whenever he entered.

That's the bit sensible folk struggle with.

When will one stop slurping on the secret source soup?
                    That's the crux of the issue, to the OP's original question. I don't want to disparage anyone, but when the GPS solve came out, I thought it was very obvious that the whole thing was contrived. A group of well-known searchers with a social media following were enlisted to put out a "solve" to placate the search community and put the Chase to bed. The GPS solve was the best, most complete one available and therefor was thrown out to the masses. There was NOTHING ingenious about it and, despite the efforts to explain the whole thing afterwards, there was nothing about it that should have inspired them to drop everything and make a beeline to Yellowstone. The reason I feel that way is the extent to which they oversold the solve and especially Cynthia's video, culminating with the Tucker thing as an added touch.

Now it seems that the same basic team is selling the 9MH solve on a notion that piggybacks on Jack's assertion that he determined where Fenn "wanted to die" in lieu of solving the poem. That's now the selling point. While I don't rule anything out completely, if this really is the correct area, it's for reasons other than what is being suggested. Everything that's being offered right now can shown to be flawed. IMHO, all of the talk about "sources" and "confirmation" can be taken with a grain of salt.
                    Last edited by Macahol; 11-19-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
                      ​​​​​​
                      Setting aside the specialized knowledge aspect of *that* creek being a spawning area for browns, and allowing for capitalized Brown to signify uncapitalized trout of that species for the sake of argument, why single out the Madison in the first place?

Forrest probably fished the Firehole more than the Madison (his father apparently did, per his fishing logs), and as you no doubt know, brown trout were actually originally introduced above Firehole Falls on the Firehole. That, too, is admittedly "specialized knowledge," but it illustrates how information totally external to the poem can lead you to a lot of places, with no legitimate way to choose among them.

So to return to my question: how does the ~poem~ tell you with confidence that the Madison is the right river?
                      You ask good questions, Zapster.

I don't think the poem tells you it's the Madison per se. Even though the poem is straightforward and simple, that doesn't mean the solution is easy. The best answer is probably that the term "warm waters" combined with the understanding that IT means a river would likely lead you to the Madison river, especially if you knew Forrest was in love with Yellowstone. If you chose the Firehole, you are leaving out the Gibbon geysers and vice versa. And it's not like people didn't figure this out (the Madison I mean). Madison junction was always one of the most popular WWWHs because it seemed to fit very well. Of course, I personally dismissed it out of hand as being TOO SIMPLE. Boy was that stupid on my part.

I don't view the spawning grounds as "specialized knowledge". It doesn't require a special degree or special training to know. However, "a comprehensive knowledge of geography" might do the trick.

Comment

On the capitalization issue - I'm not sure why so many are refusing to accept that Forrest did it right. Go find a good English teacher and show them the poem. They will probably tell you that the capitalization of the species is acceptable in that situation, if not preferred. It sure makes sense to me. The poem does not say "brown trout". The poem just says "Brown". That's the difference. You need to capitalize "Brown" when its by itself meaning the species.

Comment

Originally posted by Macahol View Post

That's the crux of the issue, to the OP's original question. I don't want to disparage anyone, but when the GPS solve came out, I thought it was very obvious that the whole thing was contrived. A group of well-known searchers with a social media following were enlisted to put out a "solve" to placate the search community and put the Chase to bed. The GPS solve was the most best, most complete one available and therefor was thrown out to the masses. There was NOTHING ingenious about it and, despite the efforts to explain the whole thing afterwards, there was nothing about it that should have inspired them to drop everything and make a beeline to Yellowstone. The reason I feel that way is the extent to which they oversold the solve and especially Cynthia's video, culminating with the Tucker thing as an added touch.

Now it seems that the same basic team is selling the 9MH solve on a notion that piggybacks on Jack's assertion that he determined where Fenn "wanted to die" in lieu of solving the poem. That's now the selling point. While I don't rule anything out completely, if this really is the correct area, it's for reasons other than what is being suggested. Everything that's being offered right now can shown to be flawed. IMHO, all of the talk about "sources" and "confirmation" can be taken with a grain of salt.
                          I actually think the GPS solve is better than Nine Mile Hole, though that's not saying much. It had some precision. It used the poem in a unique way, but it was obviously wrong. The solution to nine Mile Hole can apply to anywhere in the Rockies. It's a combination of the most generic clues anyone has come up with:

WWWH - Just find some thermal feature, even "hot" ones. That water eventually becomes warm, then cold, right?

Canyon down- that water will end up in a canyon somewhere - find it and check it off your list. This is easy, eh?

Brown - trout, easy. They're virtually everywhere any sizeable creek or river in the Rockies.

Worth the cold - cross a creek, river. Fish for the Brown while you're there. Don't worry about capitalization.

Brave and in the wood/ paddle. Look for a forest or a tree, up some unnavigable creek. Bonus points if you draw nigh (bear left) on some branch of it.

Follow that process and you can fit damn near any area in the Rockies.

But Forrest loved that area!!!! His dad fished there!!!!! Condor2 searched there!! !!!!

Hmmmm, Ok. Yup, that's the ticket. It was the picture that was the big clue? (Hint?). Nevermind the myriad of statements Forrest made over the years and whether your solve fits them, those are just details.
                          Last edited by CRM114; 11-19-2021, 02:04 PM.
                          You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Comment

Originally posted by pws111 View Post

The clues are not in order for the forced bogus 9MH solve. Forrest said the clues must be followed in order. The entire solve is wrong.
                            They are in order. It’s very straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain digger
                              "You’ve got to solve the riddle in the poem.”
                              f said it. So those buying into 9mh think the riddle in the poem is SWIITIMG? Can't be as 9mh (and all of YS) is not southern WY. So, is 9mh not correct or is SWIITIMG not the riddle? If 9mh is correct, what then is a correct answer to the riddle? I mean it is supposed to be simple and in the poem (the riddle, not just the answer/s)

There are two answers BTW imo, but only one is needed as f said so ... it makes no difference to me, & they're both correct.
                              9mh is HoB, not the final location, that’s about 200-400ft away from the hole.

Comment

Wwwh - Firehole emptying in to Madison
                                Canyon down - The Madison Canyon is right there, take it down stream.
                                nfbtftw - drive down the canyon
                                pibthob - Park up and put in (get in to ) the Madison just below (downstream of) the actual fishing hole at nine mile, where the water is shallow.
                                npftm - linked to brave and in the wood, this means go in to the woods on the other side of where you crossed.
                                teiedn - go left, after going just in to the woods.
                                tbnpuyc jhlawh- you arrive at the creek there which has hundreds of heavy fallen trees across it and water high below them, don’t go up it, cross over it to the island,
                                iybwaftb - search the island for the blaze on the tree.
                                look down to find the chest.
                                Thank you BritChaser, however I did not understand, why don't you drive all the way down to the actual Madison River Canyon (Earthquake Area) to head for the HoB?

If you've already identified HoB as the fishing spot, you logically stop at 9MH. However, I don't understand why solving WWWH and canyon clue, instead of going straight to 9MH?

Other people put WWWH at Madison Junction, but they eventually came to 9MH too. Others just read what Forrest wrote and they drove directly to 9MH (although Forrest repeatedly insisted there is no shortcut).

Whatever you say about how easy it is to wade the Madison River there, I would be afraid of accidentally using a more risky spot for crossing, and I would not take my kids ("take your kids with you" FF paraphrased) to the other side of the river River.

I cannot read from the poem such precise information as "other side" "go left". And I also see no way to bring the information about trail, 500 foot, 200 foot in a consistent context to the "island".

Cynthia and others have searched on the "island" for a some time, but no one has found "the blaze on the tree". It could be the blaze has disappeared, rotted, burned or Jack took it with him, but that seems unlikely to me ("not impossible to remove the blaze it isn’t feasible to try, and I am certain it’s still there" f).

Comment

Working...
                                X