Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hear me all View Post
    Forrest mentioned that he tied a gross of flies in Don's tackle shop. He also said that he and Sloane took a gross of sheets from JC Penny to Taos. Here's the gross. 66+76+2=144

Click image for larger version  Name:	5903e32f-d301-40e0-a08a-bb274ab649eb_l (1).jpg Views:	121 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	357972 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210415_203311.jpg Views:	113 Size:	482.0 KB ID:	357973
    Since you're so good with numbers, you might want to consider that one of the digits in that last line of yours is contained in the value (if printed out) of an approximation of pi. I hope you enjoy dealing with it.
    Last edited by Old Pilot; 11-23-2021, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Forrest said that it was fun to arrange words in such a way that it made him smile at the end of a sentence. Forrest the author who wrote many books treasured words and if you paid attention you may have seen some of his BOLD treasures and not even known it. As Zapster pointed out the Doug Hyde in stone was a subtle hint. IN STONE was right in front of you. After 10 years Forrest began to run out of words because he was limited. He used letters on both sides of the sign, the benchmark cap and from both the wooden boards in the benchmark to formulate many of the words you read in his stories or that you heard him tell.

Just as an aside how many of you made the connections with Forrest's story about Barry Goldwater? It was the audio shared by Dal not long ago? Barry Goldwater was a huge in your face hint for bury gold. Forrest said Barry enjoyed kicking barrel cactus. That was for the U on the side and the 55 on the cap. Forrest also tried to help out with his catsup story saying they used a drum of hydraulic fluid for a BBQ pit. Drums and barrels are 55 gallons for those that don't know. Forrest said Barry had white underwear with red fire ants on them. News flash folks. The wood is red with white letters. There were so many ways the red fox fooled you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone-National-Park-iStock-1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	565.7 KB
ID:	357696 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_141317~2.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	1,007.4 KB
ID:	357698 Click image for larger version

Name:	5903e32f-d301-40e0-a08a-bb274ab649eb_l (1).jpg
Views:	536
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	357695 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_140616.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	357694 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_203311.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	357697
      I think Pickles who was carved in 55 would punish you by making you run 55 laps instead of 50 for putting those Red Man PLUgs in your mouth instead of using your imaginations.

Since you asked . . . I saw a tiny hint in something from FF, related to Barry Goldwater. Not significantly helpful, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jan_v60 View Post
        And I see Oreo cookies again
        Click image for larger version

Name:	BAE79505-ED4D-4150-9941-91C094C1704F.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	664.9 KB
ID:	358005
        If you believe that Oreo cookies relate(s) to a significant hint, please explain why you believe this. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
          Forrest didn’t bury it, he let the creek slowly bury it for him.
          Please pardon my skepticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellerstain View Post
            Another huge hint was the Rockwell illustration connection.
            What did that hint tell you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunrunner View Post

Additionally, there is his comment that it could be scorched in a forest fire, and that wind could affect it.
              Those aren't helpful hints to a correct solve of the poem. They are diversionary distractions at best. As always, all part of my opinion.

Comment

It's amazing how much mileage the buried vs. not buried debate can drum up. In one of the later interviews Forrest said he buried it. It was from 2018 I think. When Dal saw that he took Forrest by the ear and reminded him that he always made such a big deal to say it was hidden. Forrest apologized and said if he said it, he should not have said it was buried. If you never buried anything, you don't say you did multiple times.

If I ever spend a considerable amount of time compiling a nice stash of booty and designing a hunt for others, I state now that it will be buried. I don't want someone stumbling upon it, only someone who has been wise enough to decipher my clues should have the satisfaction of finding the treasure. They will walk right straight to it but won't know they have the first clue correct until they find the treasure. Warning: knowing the first clue really well will pay sizeable dividends. How many times and ways did Forrest say that the first clue was all that mattered?
                Zero times, to my uncertain knowledge.

Comment

The concept of "pirate(s)" only relates in a small way, at best, to a correct solve of the poem. Partly, this is because of the spelling of that word (in quotes). This could explain why Forrest wrote about pie(s), pilot, pimento (spelling?), pills, pillowed, pine, porcupine, and other words/names that contain "pi".
                  As always, all part of my oPInion.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post
                    I dunno that I noah hole lot
                    but I do kno that a bench is important.....
                    Why is a bench important?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Because its the one Forrest installed and name engraved.

Comment

Just a good place for a rest, to sit and read a book, eat a pie, share a cup of coffee, feed the birds, wait for a bus. Don't press me too hard on this one tho, OP.
                        Last edited by wwwamericana; 11-24-2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I wouldn’t say it’s important, but there may be a geographical bench in the general vicinity of the location from which the treasure chest was retrieved.

Comment

Gunrunner - In regards to the quote you remember, Forrest said "look at what fire did to the twin towers. That concrete post looks like a tower if you've got your imagination cap on and there is (2) right above the shoe. As for the tornado, if you've ever seen the path after one has passed you know they can uproot things and peel layers of soil away like a dozer.
                            "It could be scorched in a forest fire" doesn't really have anything to do with what airplanes can do to buildings, now, does it? But if you're already using fire towers in your solve, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to hear "fire" and "tower" in the same sentence and make a connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunrunner View Post

"It could be scorched in a forest fire" doesn't really have anything to do with what airplanes can do to buildings, now, does it? But if you're already using fire towers in your solve, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to hear "fire" and "tower" in the same sentence and make a connection.
                              Gunrunner - The scorched in a forest fire comment came from Tiny Dukopil's early article and Forrest shot that down as terribly inaccurate reporting after it hit the newsstands. Forrest and Dal both reminded searchers over the years that Tony's reporting wasn't truthful. You can scorch Tony's article if you used it in your research. That'll give you something keep warm this winter but your effort might be worth the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
                                Concealing a 10" x 10" x 6" bronze box in the Rocky Mountains is a lot easier than digging a hole and burying it. Forrest went to an awful lot of trouble reiterating that he never said he buried it (and never said he didn't). Why make a big deal out of that if he DID bury it? He also made a point of differentiating burial from entombment and sepulchering, and asking semantic questions like whether the chest is "buried" if leaves blow over it and hide it. All of this, in my opinion, points to non-burial. Potential subtle hints like "Doug Hyde in Stone" also suggest entombment or a sepulcher.
                                That's some fuzzy communication.

Comment

Working...
                                X