Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates

Pirates don't leave their troves sitting on top of the ground and walk away. Too many things can happen. Weather, fires, floods, unsavory 7%ers, animals, trees falling, and more. No pirate works hard at amassing their booty to let it get scattered or stumbled upon. Forrest shared numerous stories about excavation at San Lazaro, Pompeii, Mummy Joe Cave, and digging next to the cement steps of his childhood home to give you a hint that Indulgence was buried. He buried the jars and bells because he didn't want them found right away. The chest wasn't sitting above ground. If you had followed the clues in the poem and arrived and had listened good, you would have heard the word you and noticed the U at your feet when you followed the LOOK quickly down on the sign. It didn't take a genius to figure it was buried. Forrest gave a big hint with his Chaos doll standing on the chest. Many stood on the chest over the years but didn't know. It wasn't in a spot where people were searching for treasure. Dal drove right on by it with Portia. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_140649.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	356946 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_121748.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	604.2 KB
ID:	356947

I agree that it was buried. He wrote a book entitled The Secrets of San Lazaro, and he spent many years digging and unearthing those secrets. I believe his use of the word “secret” in his poem was telling us it was buried. But I don’t believe it was in Yellowstone.

Comment

Concealing a 10" x 10" x 6" bronze box in the Rocky Mountains is a lot easier than digging a hole and burying it. Forrest went to an awful lot of trouble reiterating that he never said he buried it (and never said he didn't). Why make a big deal out of that if he DID bury it? He also made a point of differentiating burial from entombment and sepulchering, and asking semantic questions like whether the chest is "buried" if leaves blow over it and hide it. All of this, in my opinion, points to non-burial. Potential subtle hints like "Doug Hyde in Stone" also suggest entombment or a sepulcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
        Concealing a 10" x 10" x 6" bronze box in the Rocky Mountains is a lot easier than digging a hole and burying it. Forrest went to an awful lot of trouble reiterating that he never said he buried it (and never said he didn't). Why make a big deal out of that if he DID bury it? He also made a point of differentiating burial from entombment and sepulchering, and asking semantic questions like whether the chest is "buried" if leaves blow over it and hide it. All of this, in my opinion, points to non-burial. Potential subtle hints like "Doug Hyde in Stone" also suggest entombment or a sepulcher.
        I’d agree and would add that both Sloane’s book about camouflage and F’s military training and interest in art forgeries lean towards my belief that it could’ve been disguised as anything- a rock, a log, anything. But it would probably also be made of bronze and cool to the touch. I know there are techniques to color bronze, as paint might not be as durable and there’s no such thing as a truly matte protection coat (that I’ve found). Now I don’t have a bronze sniffing dog, but if anyone has a thermal viewfinder and a hunk of bronze laying around, I’d be curious if it can be (thermally) seen. I think a person could take a flashlight- look right at the darn thing, and not necessarily spot it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post
          Now I don’t have a bronze sniffing dog, but if anyone has a thermal viewfinder and a hunk of bronze laying around, I’d be curious if it can be (thermally) seen.
          Just checked for you. Bronze is 16.7 degrees f. Slightly warmer then background. So yes it can be seen currently.

Comment

I believe the chest was definitely buried, one reason is the illustration of young Forrest sat upon a gravestone stargazing. Stars feature in the puzzle and a gravestone references burial.
            Furthermore in the Playboy interview there is a photo of Forrest sat outside his door and beside him is a spade.
            Forrest's quote that goes with the gravestone illustration is, quote: "It took guts to go in there on a dark night with no moon" This relates to the logistics of retrieving the chest which would have to be done at night because the blaze is within sight of the road and would make sense of having your search partner wait in the car. Definitely buried I would say and you would need a flashlight in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post

I’d agree and would add that both Sloane’s book about camouflage and F’s military training and interest in art forgeries lean towards my belief that it could’ve been disguised as anything- a rock, a log, anything. But it would probably also be made of bronze and cool to the touch. I know there are techniques to color bronze, as paint might not be as durable and there’s no such thing as a truly matte protection coat (that I’ve found). Now I don’t have a bronze sniffing dog, but if anyone has a thermal viewfinder and a hunk of bronze laying around, I’d be curious if it can be (thermally) seen. I think a person could take a flashlight- look right at the darn thing, and not necessarily spot it.
              The chest is likely to be at the same immediate (average) temperature as its environment. So using IR vision probably won't help find the thing. The best tool for this is the poem. Other good ones are a map and a dictionary.
              Last edited by Old Pilot; 11-18-2021, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chester Retriever View Post

Just checked for you. Bronze is 16.7 degrees f. Slightly warmer then background. So yes it can be seen currently.
                Tsk, tsk.

Comment

Did you ever find the CLOVES? Or make the connection with poppy seeds and heroine for the white letters/numbers. The post was like a jar from that SB. The razorblade shape in the table was for the shape of the sign. Round piles of spices and he circled the scratch for the bronze benchmark cap. He really tried to help us all. Poor guy probably felt like we were all dumber than a post many times.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
                    Zapster - if Forrest had not buried it, he could have easily said that he did not bury it. From the time early on when a man got in trouble for digging near a Descanso and Forrest saying that the guy should only get a small fine to Scott digging a monster hole and telling him you/U shouldn't dig where you aren't supposed to, pirate talk about 6 different times, a shovel in a photo and numerous excavation stories and not ruling out digging pointed to a strong possibility for digging. If Forrest was truthful about no red herrings or subterfuge then the stories about excavation were relevant for finding the chest in such a manner. Would you amass a fortune such as what Forrest did and not bury it in the wilderness? Pirates buried treasure, made maps and marked the spot so that only someone who followed the map would know that a treasure laid at their feet. Others wouldn't have a clue. If we are to believe Forrest, he said the chest was so full when he left it on the ground, the lid didn't close. The picture Jack showed from the wilderness was at odds with that statement because it certainly was stuffed full. Either Forrest, Jack, or both have lied to the rest of us. Forrest was on record multiple times saying he buried it as well. And he told some friends early on that he buried it. I'm going with buried.

Comment

Forrest said that it was fun to arrange words in such a way that it made him smile at the end of a sentence. Forrest the author who wrote many books treasured words and if you paid attention you may have seen some of his BOLD treasures and not even known it. As Zapster pointed out the Doug Hyde in stone was a subtle hint. IN STONE was right in front of you. After 10 years Forrest began to run out of words because he was limited. He used letters on both sides of the sign, the benchmark cap and from both the wooden boards in the benchmark to formulate many of the words you read in his stories or that you heard him tell.

Just as an aside how many of you made the connections with Forrest's story about Barry Goldwater? It was the audio shared by Dal not long ago? Barry Goldwater was a huge in your face hint for bury gold. Forrest said Barry enjoyed kicking barrel cactus. That was for the U on the side and the 55 on the cap. Forrest also tried to help out with his catsup story saying they used a drum of hydraulic fluid for a BBQ pit. Drums and barrels are 55 gallons for those that don't know. Forrest said Barry had white underwear with red fire ants on them. News flash folks. The wood is red with white letters. There were so many ways the red fox fooled you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone-National-Park-iStock-1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	565.7 KB
ID:	357696 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_141317~2.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	1,007.4 KB
ID:	357698 Click image for larger version

Name:	5903e32f-d301-40e0-a08a-bb274ab649eb_l (1).jpg
Views:	536
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	357695 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_140616.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	357694 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_203311.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	357697
                      I think Pickles who was carved in 55 would punish you by making you run 55 laps instead of 50 for putting those Red Man PLUgs in your mouth instead of using your imaginations.

Comment

When Forrest wrote about his walking trip with Donnie Jo from West Yellowstone to Bozeman he said it was probably the best trip he ever took. He said it was 92 miles. It's not, if you are curious. Forrest would alter details a slight bit to see who was paying attention. Click image for larger version

Name:	5903e32f-d301-40e0-a08a-bb274ab649eb_l (1).jpg
Views:	445
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	357738
                        If you ever wondered why he made the more than 66,000 links north of Santa Fe comment and went into detail for Richard about rods, chains, links and posts, now U know.

While I'm spilling the beans, the brown on the dust cover of TTOTC was for the brown on the sign. The actual cover color was for the cement post and the colored letters were for the bronze benchmark cap. U're welcome.

Comment

Forrest shared the picture of his feet next to the beehive fireplace for the U, the red color and the letters on the side of the post FRPL Forrest also said the treasure chest weighs 42 pounds plus best to have gloves because of the P42L on the post. Forrest wore his purple sweater for special events and talked about Grapette a few times for the PURL on the post. Talk about a guy dishing out hints like candy on Halloween. Maybe you wanted a Babe Ruth candy bar instead. Oh yea he used that hint a few times (2) Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_140616.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	357802 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_203311.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	357803
                          For all those who liked the Zebra boots that Foorest showcased in his story about Snuff Garrett getting an honorary degree from some University here are the stripes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_121844.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	357804

Comment

If you wondered why Forrest talked about Goerge Washington several times. 1776. It's the same reason he mentioned Custer and Battle Battlei of the Little Bighorn a few times 1876.
                            Attached Files

Comment

"Me wearing the bracelet will be your best revenge." Some were perplexed by f's words. Here's what the hints were. The b's and m for BENCH MARK. And if you had solved the poem and found the U at the bottom of the post, your first response to Forrest was U Sob because it was hidden right where you start. So after all the searches out in wilds you'd arrive where you started and know the place for the first time. After Forrest included a Benchmark Map in TFTW and nobody made the connection with it being at a benchmark post, he got more and more gutsy with his hints.

Comment

Working...
                              X