The cowboy who slugged young Forrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
    In Forrest's story, he was a young boy, sitting at home (perhaps on his front porch or similar place) when a man riding a horse came by. Forrest greeted him with a called-out "Hiya, Cowboy" (or something similar/equivalent), upon which the man stopped his horse, dismounted, and without speaking to Forrest, walked over to Forrest, and slugged him in the face.

I call B.S.
    I don't believe that happened as told by Forrest. He said that he learned, from the experience, to not make the alligator mad until you've crossed the river.
    To me, that concept doesn't relate to the encounter with the cowboy.
    If there's a poem-related clue or hint intended in that story, I don't know what we're supposed to learn/gain from it.
    I suppose I could do some extrapolating/stretching, and imagine that since Forrest had an alligator named Elvis, and Elvis Presley was in a movie called "Flaming
    Star" (portraying a half-breed), and singer Cher had a hit song called "Half-Breed", maybe the hint is to Cher (share). Like Jesus would have encouraged, perhaps.
    Or maybe Fenn was trying to say something clever when he said "crossed the river" (speaking of Jesus, don'tcha know). If you "cross" a river, does that mean that
    you put the river onto a cross? Or is the meaning more like adding a "cross" to the river, the way that "painting" something means to add paint to it?
    I'd like to see any ideas y'all may have about this.
    This might be a classic case of chase overthink. It's quite simple. The Cowboy State. It's on the nose. He's telling us Wyoming. That's all. The expression "on the nose" means "over-literal, unimaginative, exact, precise."

Comment

Originally posted by JDER View Post

This might be a classic case of chase overthink. It's quite simple. The Cowboy State. It's on the nose. He's telling us Wyoming. That's all. The expression "on the nose" means "over-literal, unimaginative, exact, precise."
      More specifically Cylmrno, WY. It's said to be somewhere west and under Buffalo.

Comment

This was one of those Forrest Fenn stories that left you scratching your head. He said the poem was straight forward with no subterfuge. Maybe the poem is straight forward, but it seems like Jack still struggled to find the chest. Maybe he had to cross the river before making the alligator mad. I have searched up and down the Madison, but I never crossed it. One late spring day, I stood on the bank when it was high and fast. It crossed my mind to cross it, but common sense took hold and I did not. I think a river crossing would require a bridge.
        But your connections are interesting and show good imagination.

Comment

https://youtu.be/-u1Kzcs-z3c

Comment

A land bridge

Comment

Originally posted by JDER View Post

JDER hit the nail on the head.

Cmon people, still overthinking it.

He is smacking you in the face and telling you Wyoming, the Cowboy state!

Comment

This story is a hint somehow. It didn't happen. Where was forrests family at the time that no one saw? And what about seeing the result of the hit after? Come on. Did forrest have a convenient place for the cowboy to tie his horse so he could get slapped? I'd say no.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbealy
                  Old Pilot could you send me a copy of this story of the cowboy and I will send you My interpretation of it. Thank you , Is tarry scant still out there.
                  I looked for tarryscant online recently, and found it unavailable, except as a purchasable book. I didn't buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by 93cruiser View Post
                    This story is a hint somehow. It didn't happen. Where was forrests family at the time that no one saw? And what about seeing the result of the hit after? Come on. Did forrest have a convenient place for the cowboy to tie his horse so he could get slapped? I'd say no.
                    The only possible hint I saw (and I believe I have quite an imagination when I want to) was in what Forrest said to the cowboy. As I remember, it was "Hiya, Cowboy!"

Comment

It sounds like Forrest turned the other cheek

Comment

He never was told -
                        "Never talk to strangers."
                        He learned it the hard way.....

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post
                          He never was told -
                          "Never talk to strangers."
                          He learned it the hard way.....
                          Are you saying you won't talk to me because I am strange?

Comment

Originally posted by Knowledge View Post

Are you saying you won't talk to me because I am strange?
                            I never said it was the right thing to do
                            Please don't jump
                            To conclusions.

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Maybe it was like Hi YAA!!! Cowboy, as in the sound you make while karate chopping. Ya, he karate chopped that Cowboy. Young Forrest started it, and got slugged.

Comment

Working...
                                X