Mirror, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror, anyone?

Forrest apparently was quite interested in mirrors, it seems. Maybe I'm mis-interpreting what he wrote . . . but am still trying to find any connection between mirror(s) and this treasure hunt -- perhaps more specifically, the poem itself. I saw a drawing that shows an old man looking in a mirror and seeing a "young" reflection of himself, but this doesn't give me any marvelous new insight into Forrest, his life, or his thoughts.

People sometimes use the phrase "reflect on" or "reflect upon" to mean "remember". I believe that Forrest spent a good amount of time remembering (and thinking about) things he had done. Perhaps there were some feelings of guilt in play during some of these "remembering" sessions. This may be typical and not unusual for anyone who has lived a fairly long time. Who doesn't have regrets? But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to dwell too long in guilt, since we can't undo the past. I do think it's a little strange that anyone might think that leaving a trove in the Rocky Mountains will much change the life of someone in Asia who was orphaned or injured by a U.S.A.F. bombing run. No, I don't know whether Forrest ever contributed money to any orphanages in that part of the world.

Regarding the physical phenomenon of a mirror reflecting light, I can imagine seeing an image (using pareidolia) that resembles part of an insect. And that kind of insect, in particular, seems to be associated with freedom (perhaps freedom from care/worry in particular, although generally insects are prey at times). And I read a very obscure short written piece about a reflection in water. I have even looked for that piece so I could read it again and note where I saw it. It was online, and is not easy to find. But it seems to provide an important hint or clue in solving the poem.

For anyone who thinks that reflection (i.e., with a mirror) relates importantly to introspection, I'd like to see what you have to say about that. It might tie in pretty well with some of Forrest's ideas when he created this treasure hunt. Thanks for reading. As always, all part of my opinion.

Thinking like this will help you grow.

Comment

I find them inspire rational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvYeSWsichg

When I listen to this music and close my eyes and let it move back and forth some tones start to create geometric figures in my mind.

What a rush.

https://www.solitudelakemanagement.c...fully-managed/

mirror the day

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH2012.html

Comment

A time to reflect.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_24987.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	345611

Comment

I don't think Fenn 'looked in the mirror' very often, or perhaps he didn't possess many.

Comment

All:
            Although I like Old Pilot's view on remembering. I believe that mirroring was always a hint to the final location. My final solve location was in the middle of the 2 Goose lakes and Feather lake in Yellowstone. The mirror comes from the 2 lakes with the same name... A mirror of each other. Click image for larger version

Name:	sp2.png
Views:	531
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	345629 Thanks

Comment

Let's see a mirror,reversed image of Washington and a backward bike.
              Could we be looking for a mirror image of something,that appears backwards.

Comment

Hi Old Pilot,

Since I can't reply privately, I will give you my theory here. What I believe is the blaze overlooks Mirror Lake. It explains marvel gaze. Fenn also used "marvel" in his story accompanying the mirror picture (if my memory is correct).

Comment

Forrest gave several hints that were a redirect, IMO.
                  mirror, flip, obverse/reverse, all telling us something important.

Comment

Caution: Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Comment

E --> 3 / M / W

L --> I -

S --> 5

N --> Z

Etc.

Letters in a mirror can transpose to other letters. Combined with Pi (3-1-4-1... Pie caper, 'skippy', 1413 main street... mirrored Pi) you begin to be able to read the poem in a new manner. Skippy made a 'machine' that almost flew....

I believe that Jack retrieved the chest, but I think he reverse engineered the hiding spot and then brute forced the BoG. However, if the poem was truly solved it would have taken a single day.... as FF said, you can walk right up to it if you have solved the poem. I'm not sure anyone has done so (pretty sure no one has)... but parts of it? Yes, the above method works beyond statistical chance.

Skip and mirror.

Comment

I think you’re thinking about it too much. Ever read up on the Greek mythology of Narcissus? Remember when Forrest wanted someone to ask him how to spell Daffodil?

“Hint of riches new and old”

Forrest was in love with the forest. There are new and old trees.

wood-an area of land, smaller than a forest, that is covered with growing trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
                          Forrest apparently was quite interested in mirrors, it seems. Maybe I'm mis-interpreting what he wrote . . . but am still trying to find any connection between mirror(s) and this treasure hunt -- perhaps more specifically, the poem itself. I saw a drawing that shows an old man looking in a mirror and seeing a "young" reflection of himself, but this doesn't give me any marvelous new insight into Forrest, his life, or his thoughts.

People sometimes use the phrase "reflect on" or "reflect upon" to mean "remember". I believe that Forrest spent a good amount of time remembering (and thinking about) things he had done. Perhaps there were some feelings of guilt in play during some of these "remembering" sessions. This may be typical and not unusual for anyone who has lived a fairly long time. Who doesn't have regrets? But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to dwell too long in guilt, since we can't undo the past. I do think it's a little strange that anyone might think that leaving a trove in the Rocky Mountains will much change the life of someone in Asia who was orphaned or injured by a U.S.A.F. bombing run. No, I don't know whether Forrest ever contributed money to any orphanages in that part of the world.

Regarding the physical phenomenon of a mirror reflecting light, I can imagine seeing an image (using pareidolia) that resembles part of an insect. And that kind of insect, in particular, seems to be associated with freedom (perhaps freedom from care/worry in particular, although generally insects are prey at times). And I read a very obscure short written piece about a reflection in water. I have even looked for that piece so I could read it again and note where I saw it. It was online, and is not easy to find. But it seems to provide an important hint or clue in solving the poem.

For anyone who thinks that reflection (i.e., with a mirror) relates importantly to introspection, I'd like to see what you have to say about that. It might tie in pretty well with some of Forrest's ideas when he created this treasure hunt. Thanks for reading. As always, all part of my opinion.
                          I after careful consideration believe that Forrest had a special mirror and every morning at the break of dawn Forrest would look intently upon said mirror and recite “ mirror mirror on the wall who’s the foxiest of them all”.

Comment

Originally posted by UNtitleD Brave View Post
                            I don't think Fenn 'looked in the mirror' very often, or perhaps he didn't possess many.
                            I think he was quite vain, and conscious of his appearance.

Comment

Mirrors and bells and deep holes, under a canopy of stars. Someplace they all come together.

Comment

Working...
                              X