Can Someone Help Educate Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Someone Help Educate Me?

Regarding Jack being at 9 MH, as far as I can tell the only documentary evidence we have are his reddit posts, a picture of an Xterra, and cell phone/computer pings showing he was in the Park. Is that correct? I don't want some huge debate, I only want to know if there are other documents that I am leaving out.

Thank you.

I was hoping for someone in the Ben is Live thread to shed some light on this myself. When I was last in Yellowstone/Tetons, I noticed that my cell service was sketchy except in areas with facilities. The same thing happens in other parks like the Pictured Rocks, which is only 5 miles wide but you can't get any service except when you are in the towns at either end. If I'm understanding this right, they know that Jack & friend(s) stopped at 9MH because they accessed Reddit (or Reddit pinged them) there? Does anyone who's more familiar with the area know whether or not Jack would actually have cell tower access to ping in all of the areas described by Ben?

Comment

Originally posted by My Chase Quest View Post
      Regarding Jack being at 9 MH, as far as I can tell the only documentary evidence we have are his reddit posts, a picture of an Xterra, and cell phone/computer pings showing he was in the Park. Is that correct? I don't want some huge debate, I only want to know if there are other documents that I am leaving out.

Thank you.
      I think you listed all the evidence that's been presented:
      - Xterra picture in Baker's Hole campground on the Madison in West Yelllowstone, MT downstream from 9 Mile
      - Reddit pings of TheCondor2
      - TheCondor2 posting about searching the stretch of the Madison and picking it over
      - TheCondor2 talked about crossing the Madison multiple times too and even went as far as suggesting buying a lifejacket and the price of lifejackets as well as the best times of the season to cross the Madison.

Other evidence that Jack himself presented is that the first search area he searched in turned out to be the spot where he found the chest.
      Jack also said there was a water crossing.

Comment

Originally posted by Macahol View Post
        I was hoping for someone in the Ben is Live thread to shed some light on this myself. When I was last in Yellowstone/Tetons, I noticed that my cell service was sketchy except in areas with facilities. The same thing happens in other parks like the Pictured Rocks, which is only 5 miles wide but you can't get any service except when you are in the towns at either end. If I'm understanding this right, they know that Jack & friend(s) stopped at 9MH because they accessed Reddit (or Reddit pinged them) there? Does anyone who's more familiar with the area know whether or not Jack would actually have cell tower access to ping in all of the areas described by Ben?
        I looked this up. There are 6 cell areas in the park. So I think he certainly could have pinged where Ben is indicating. However, that does not account for areas where he didn't get service. For instance, there is a tower in the Mammoth area. However, if he doesn't get service at Mammoth for whatever reason, then he would not register a ping (that is my understanding of how it works). So, in theory he could have been anywhere. Also, my further understanding is that a ping can register as far as 20 miles away. So, it is very possible that Jack never even went to Canyon. He could have been driving North on Grand Loop to Mammoth or Gardiner, or wherever as Grand Loop is only 10 miles away from Canyon. In fact, that makes more sense since Ben stated there was only a single ping at Canyon. You would think there would be more than one ping if Jack was actually there for any amount of time, and if you account for time driving to and from Canyon.

So while the information is interesting, it does not tell us nearly what it is being purported to tell us. And it most certainly does not provide evidence that the chest was found at 9mh. What I feel would help a bit more is the time of day of the pings. Perhaps he will give that out at some point, if he has that info.

Comment

Can Someone Help Educate Me?

I'm a sex instructor, if that counts. First lesson FREE (Bonus sessions for good students).

Comment

I looked this up. There are 6 cell areas in the park. So I think he certainly could have pinged where Ben is indicating. However, that does not account for areas where he didn't get service. For instance, there is a tower in the Mammoth area. However, if he doesn't get service at Mammoth for whatever reason, then he would not register a ping (that is my understanding of how it works). So, in theory he could have been anywhere. Also, my further understanding is that a ping can register as far as 20 miles away. So, it is very possible that Jack never even went to Canyon. He could have been driving North on Grand Loop to Mammoth or Gardiner, or wherever as Grand Loop is only 10 miles away from Canyon. In fact, that makes more sense since Ben stated there was only a single ping at Canyon. You would think there would be more than one ping if Jack was actually there for any amount of time, and if you account for time driving to and from Canyon.

So while the information is interesting, it does not tell us nearly what it is being purported to tell us. And it most certainly does not provide evidence that the chest was found at 9mh. What I feel would help a bit more is the time of day of the pings. Perhaps he will give that out at some point, if he has that info.
            I dont believe I said this means 9mh (ben here ps).

In fact I said " What I think i can ascertain from these records is" .... And then I followed that up with "likely either madison/firehole rivers"

So in summary I agree- this does NOT tell us where the chest was. What it does do is give us the beginning groundwork for Jack's treasure hunt. What does that do? It allows us to test the original story. IF we find the original story does not pass the test of what we were originally told... well then we can surmise were being lied to overall.

As it stands now, I'm no longer convinced of "everything in Wyoming".

Comment

Originally posted by searcher2342 View Post

I dont believe I said this means 9mh (ben here ps).

In fact I said " What I think i can ascertain from these records is" .... And then I followed that up with "likely either madison/firehole rivers"

So in summary I agree- this does NOT tell us where the chest was. What it does do is give us the beginning groundwork for Jack's treasure hunt. What does that do? It allows us to test the original story. IF we find the original story does not pass the test of what we were originally told... well then we can surmise were being lied to overall.

As it stands now, I'm no longer convinced of "everything in Wyoming".
              Yes, understood. I should have clarified, my apologies. I only meant that "people" have used it to back up 9mh.

Comment

Yes, understood. I should have clarified, my apologies. I only meant that "people" have used it to back up 9mh.
                It sounds like you are trying to figure out where the chest was which is commendable versus a lot of other posts on this forum.
                One big clue I think you need to take into account is that when Dal was at FF's house FF told him that he was within 100 yards of the chest.
                Later Dal wrote him an email going over all the places he drove on his trip and FF again in email said you drove within 100 yards of the chest. You can see the email on Dal's new website. In that email you can see where Dal drove and the only place he drove in YNP was to next to the Madison then up the Firehole to Ojo Caliente and back.

With this information you can either use your eyes or take a screenshot of google maps or another map program, load up a transparent brush of radius 100 yards and "paint" down the highway and look for where it goes across a river and touches land. There are not to many places. Also, look for creeks.

Taking this into account with the Firehole and Madison I think a big clue is WWWH. Not many waters in the rocky mountains is warm. It is either scalding hot from a geyser or super icy cold because most water in the rockies is from lakes and sources that from from snow melt. The Firehole and Gibbon rivers are both "warm" because they are geothermically warmed. Unimaginative people only equate warm with bathwater warm and don't understand you need to think of it in a relative sense. More important think about it how a Fly fisherman feels when wading in most icy rivers in the rockies to fish. Watching or reading fly fisherman journals or guides they will talk about the Firehole and Gibbon rivers as warm. They even talk about the Madison not far down from Madison Junction as warm. But if you go to and stick your toe in the Madison at Madison junction it isn't going to be bathwater warm so when someone makes a youtube video saying "see it isn't warm" really does a disservice to the fact that this poem was written by a fly fisherman.

Last edited by Cary_Galloway; 10-07-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post

It sounds like you are trying to figure out where the chest was which is commendable versus a lot of other posts on this forum.
                  One big clue I think you need to take into account is that when Dal was at FF's house FF told him that he was within 100 yards of the chest.
                  Later Dal wrote him an email going over all the places he drove on his trip and FF again in email said you drove within 100 yards of the chest. You can see the email on Dal's new website. In that email you can see where Dal drove and the only place he drove in YNP was to next to the Madison then up the Firehole to Ojo Caliente and back.

With this information you can either use your eyes or take a screenshot of google maps or another map program, load up a transparent brush of diameter 100 yards and "paint" down the highway and look for where it goes across a river and touches land. There are not to many places. Also, look for creeks.

Taking this into account with the Firehole and Madison I think a big clue is WWWH. Not many waters in the rocky mountains is warm. It is either scalding hot from a geyser or super icy cold because most water in the rockies is from lakes and sources that from from snow melt. The Firehole and Gibbon rivers are both "warm" because they are geothermically warmed. Unimaginative people only equate warm with bathwater warm and don't understand you need to think of it in a relative sense. More important think about it how a Fly fisherman feels when wading in most icy rivers in the rockies to fish. Watching or reading fly fisherman journals or guides they will talk about the Firehole and Gibbon rivers as warm. They even talk about the Madison not far down from Madison Junction as warm. But if you go to and stick your toe in the Madison at Madison junction it isn't going to be bathwater warm so when someone makes a youtube video saying "see it isn't warm" really does a disservice to the fact that this poem was written by a fly fisherman.

Regarding the Dal comment, generally, I don't give a lot of weight, if any, to private hints or conversations Forrest had. I try to only rely on public statements. Also, Jack said it was not possible (although I dont give him a lot of weight either).

Comment

Dal mentions the places he went on his latest trip. Could have been anytime since the start of the chase.

Also, is it possible to "drive" a kayak or raft?

Comment

Reddit collects GPS location information with every post when it is available.

We may receive and process information about your location. For example, with your consent, we may collect information about the specific location of your mobile device (for example, by using GPS or Bluetooth). We may also receive location information from you when you choose to share such information on our Services, including by associating your content with a location, or we may derive your approximate location from other information about you, including your IP address.
                      Jack and the Fenn family knew this and they used it to make you all think you were being so clever in finding out what Jack was up to. They had to give Reddit permission to collect the info. They even did a dry run in 2019 to make sure it worked. Then went back and did the same thing the day before the find was announced in 2020.
                      Last edited by pws111; 10-08-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I'm not really a reddit user, but this is looking more and more suspicious. It appears that you don't just give Reddit blanket permission to track your location with each post. According to this article, you have to actually choose a location to go with each post when you make it. Any Reddit users know the details of how they track you? If Reddit is not doing this automatically for every post, then Jack wanted to followed on these trips to Yellowstone and wanted his exact location to be public.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ios/ad...a-reddit-post/
                        Last edited by pws111; 10-08-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ICV. View Post
                          Dal mentions the places he went on his latest trip. Could have been anytime since the start of the chase.

Also, is it possible to "drive" a kayak or raft?
                          I asked Dal this question on his blog. It's buried under 488 other comments. Hopefully he answers. If he says he did take rafts, canoes, kayaks or SUP's in at some point 2009 to 2012 in a search state, then I might take a quick run out to check out one last possibility yet this year. Luckily I don't need to be on the water to check my area out. Might get muddy feet though.

Comment

Originally posted by ICV. View Post

I asked Dal this question on his blog. It's buried under 488 other comments. Hopefully he answers. If he says he did take rafts, canoes, kayaks or SUP's in at some point 2009 to 2012 in a search state, then I might take a quick run out to check out one last possibility yet this year. Luckily I don't need to be on the water to check my area out. Might get muddy feet though.
                            Dal answered in the negative.

Comment

Originally posted by pws111 View Post
                              I'm not really a reddit user, but this is looking more and more suspicious. It appears that you don't just give Reddit blanket permission to track your location with each post. According to this article, you have to actually choose a location to go with each post when you make it. Any Reddit users know the details of how they track you? If Reddit is not doing this automatically for every post, then Jack wanted to followed on these trips to Yellowstone and wanted his exact location to be public.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ios/ad...a-reddit-post/
                              Admins on reddit boards have always been able to see a poster's IP address. Once you have the IP address you know where its coming from.

The article you posted is about users wanting to "tag" their posts to the public with their chosen location. It doesn't actually mean they are posting from that location.

What the admins see in reddit is the actual IP address that submitted the post. You can't fake it. You can only get around it by using a VPN. Then your IP address will be from the VPN and not your device.

Comment

Working...
                              X