Density of Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

This seems sensible to me. Is there anything worth arguing about, anywhere in this thread? By the way, Forrest's repeated mention of the nuggets compared to eggs seems like a little tease relating to reproduction/life/birth. Not a huge hint, but it does tend to support my solve a little.
    "As big as a hen's egg" is an old phrase for something smaller than a cat's head but bigger'n yer thumb. Forrest might have said the nuggets were the size of hen eggs just because that's how big they were to him. But on the other hand, there is this short story by Leo Tolstoy, which may well have some bearing on Forrest's view of things:
    http://lol-russ.umn.edu/PopLit/a_gra...'s_egg.htm

Comment

I thought a visual would help get across the point I was trying to make a few weeks ago.

I scabbed together a chest that is approximately the same size as Fenn's. Using volume displacement, I determined the amount of pennies that, if they were made of gold, would weigh 22 pounds. It comes out to 1269. Here they are, shown in the chest. I stacked them, so the volumetric efficiency would be about 78%. If they were at a more natural 50% (randomly filled), it would fill to about 3/4" high off the bottom.

You can see in the back corner I made marks in 1 inch intervals, and a 1/2" mark in the center back. You can still see it!

I also went into my vault and found a gold bar that weighs 22 pounds. I set it to the side of the box for comparison.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-28-2021 12-12-33 PM.png
Views:	204
Size:	831.0 KB
ID:	346045

Comment

ICV.

I think you need more pennies.

22 lb of pennies needed
        453.592 grams/lb
        2.5 grams/penny

453.592 grams/lb X 22 lb = 9979.04 grams

9977.04 grams × penny/2.5 grams = 3991.61 pennies

3992 - 1269 = 2723 more pennies needed for equivalence.

I agree with you that it will not fill the box, though.

.02696 in cubed/penny
        3992 pennies

.02696 In cubed/penny × 3992 = 107.62 In cubed

Box dimensions: 10"x10"x5" = 500 In cubed

Easy fit.

Regards.
        Last edited by MoonScavenger; 10-12-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonScavenger View Post
          ICV.

I think you need more pennies.

22 lb of pennies needed
          453.592 grams/lb
          2.5 grams/penny
          Where did you get 2.5 grams per penny? I'm measuring volume not weight. Are you measuring a pre 1983 penny (solid copper), or a post 1983 (mostly zinc)?

What I am saying is that if the pennies were made of gold (very dense) they would weigh much more than copper or zinc. The volumetric efficiency will be largely the same for coins regardless of size.

I'll rerun the number tonight, but I am not saying that 1269 copper/zinc pennies weigh 22 pounds. More like 7 or 8 if I remember correctly.

If the pennies were made of gold, then the amount shown in the picture would weigh 22 pounds.

Comment

ICV.

Thanks for that clarification. I misunderstood your point.

At least this exchange shows that we both agree that 22 pounds of goodies will easily fit inside the volumetric space available with ample room to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by ICV. View Post
              I thought a visual would help get across the point I was trying to make a few weeks ago.

I scabbed together a chest that is approximately the same size as Fenn's. Using volume displacement, I determined the amount of pennies that, if they were made of gold, would weigh 22 pounds. It comes out to 1269. Here they are, shown in the chest. I stacked them, so the volumetric efficiency would be about 78%. If they were at a more natural 50% (randomly filled), it would fill to about 3/4" high off the bottom.

You can see in the back corner I made marks in 1 inch intervals, and a 1/2" mark in the center back. You can still see it!

I also went into my vault and found a gold bar that weighs 22 pounds. I set it to the side of the box for comparison.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9-28-2021 12-12-33 PM.png Views:	76 Size:	831.0 KB ID:	346045
              Just happen to "find" a twenty two pound gold bar in the vault? Dang, every time I look thru my stuff, I never get THAT lucky
              Last edited by MZ007; 10-12-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I assume we are talking troy pounds here since this is gold. 1 troy pound = 373.24 grams, so 22 troy pounds = 8211.3 grams. The volume of a penny is 0.35 cubic centimeters and the density of pure gold is 19.32 g/cm^3. So a pure gold penny would weigh around 6.762 grams. 8211.3 grams / (6.762 grams/penny) = 1230.7 pennies. So, close to the figure you came up with.

Now, when Forrest said the treasure chest held 22 troy pounds of gold, he probably wasn't talking pure gold. Double eagles, for instance, are about 90% gold and 10% copper, so the alloy is around 18.28 g/cm^3. So a penny made of the same composition as a double eagle would weigh around 6.4 grams. That increases the penny-count a little bit to ~1283. In any case, 22 troy pounds of double eagles would fill a small fraction of the chest's interior volume.

What's interesting is that if the bronze chest was empty, water-tight, and weighed less than 21.9 pounds (not troy pounds since bronze isn't a precious metal) -- it would float in water!

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

What's interesting is that if the bronze chest was empty, water-tight, and weighed less than 21.9 pounds (not troy pounds since bronze isn't a precious metal) -- it would float in water!
                  Huh. That is interesting. Never thought of that, but it's true!

I don't know how important it is whether we're talking troy or avoirdupois but I had noticed that 22 standard pounds equals almost precisely 10 kilograms.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunrunner View Post

Huh. That is interesting. Never thought of that, but it's true!

I don't know how important it is whether we're talking troy or avoirdupois but I had noticed that 22 standard pounds equals almost precisely 10 kilograms.
                    If we all had to depend on knowing big words off the top of our heads, we'd probably all fail. But if we all had to do something, we'd probably just get going and do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post

If we all had to depend on knowing big words off the top of our heads, we'd probably all fail. But if we all had to do something, we'd probably just get going and do it.
                      “Something”:

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post
                        “Something”:
                        As aged as as that video is, I'm guessing that they're all old enough to be in nursing homes by now and can't do the same moves they did back then. Probably wanton a break after all these years. I hope they all can rest in peace knowing they won by clawing their way to the top.

Comment

Working...
                        X