Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current 9MH Solution? Looking for consensus….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current 9MH Solution? Looking for consensus….

So this is for those leaning towards 9MH as the final solution. Others should probably move on.

“It” was the word that is KEY or more helpful than others. “It” = Madison River

1. B “it” WWWH = Madison Junction
    2. AT “it” IITCD = Madison Canyon
    3. NFBTFTW = Nine Mile Hole.
    4. PIBTHOB = Forrest’s Favorite Fishing Spot. HINT #1 pg. 124 Picture in TTOTC. Be sure you go just below or downstream from HoB where it’s safer to cross.
    5. FT “it’s” NPFTM = Wade across Madison River just below HOB and make sure you are prepared, gloves, lunch, flashlight. HINT #2 TTOTC- No Place for Biddies
    6. TEIEDN = once you are across the Madison turn to your left but not very far.
    7. TWBNPUYC = walk up the creek
    8. JHLAWH = The creek has heavy fallen timber across and the creek is a high mountain spring creek (very cold).
    9. IYBWAFTB = HINT #3 pg. 133 TTOTC Gardener’s Island, HINT #4 : pg. 146 picture of Forrest with Waders under a canopy of star looking at the blaze.

Please feel free to improve, this isn’t “mine” as you all know. Just trying to find some alignment around the clues.

Moving on…

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
      So this is for those leaning towards 9MH as the final solution. Others should probably move on.

4. PIBTHOB = Forrest’s Favorite Fishing Spot. HINT #1 pg. 124 Picture in TTOTC. Be sure you go just below or downstream from HoB where it’s safer to cross.
      5. FT “it’s” NPFTM = Wade across Madison River just below HOB and make sure you are prepared, gloves, lunch, flashlight. HINT #2 TTOTC- No Place for Biddies
      8. JHLAWH = The creek has heavy fallen timber across and the creek is a high mountain spring creek (very cold).
      9. IYBWAFTB = HINT #3 pg. 133 TTOTC Gardener’s Island, HINT #4 : pg. 146 picture of Forrest with Waders under a canopy of star looking at the blaze.

Please feel free to improve, this isn’t “mine” as you all know. Just trying to find some alignment around the clues.
      Here are my conclusions/opinions that have developed and evolved over this solve, for what its worth.

Yes, IT being the Madison river is key IMO. In fact, I believe this was the "tight focus with a word that is key". Once you realize that IT = Madison River, then the clues become more clear.

1. Begin IT (the Madison) where warm waters halt (warm waters are all the rivulets from the geysers and they halt in the Firehole and Gibbon rivers). So putting that together means "Begin the Madison at the Firehole and Gibbon rivers". Ojo Caliente was just a hint that warm waters are geysers and they halt in the river. It was more of a general hint than a specific location.

2. Take IT in the Canyon down means take the Madison going downstream in the Madison Canyon (pretty easy and obvious if you know what IT is)

3. Not far but too far too walk - it just means what it says - its more than a few miles so you don't walk there, you ride there.

4 Put in BELOW the HOB - the important word in this clue is "home". It means "spawning grounds" (that's in the dictionary). So HOB is NOT technically 9MH. Rather, HOB is the creek that runs into 9MH, which is the spawning grounds for Brown trout. This is why Forrest said no one told him the correct HOB. No one told him the creek and probably no one told him the nuanced, but correct, meaning of "home". Jack said he wasn't sure about which definition Forrest meant for an important word in a clue, and he was talking about the end of the 2nd paragraph. So I think it is likely that Jack meant the word "home". If it means "residence", then HOB is 9MH, which could open up the search area to just below lower 9MH. If it means "spawning grounds", then the search area narrows to around the creek because you are "putting in" the Madison a little downstream from the creek, instead of putting in downstream of lower 9 mile hole. This was Jack's dilemma that increased his search time. His "stretch of the Madison" included just below lower 9MH to the creek, primarily because he wasn't sure of Forrest's definition of "home". Note that Jack's "stretch of the Madison" comment was NOT IN RESPONSE TO 7 MILE BRIDGE TO 9MH. As pointed out by @Vertigo's excellent research, his response was to a description of the Madison that indicated just below lower 9 MH to the shallow areas just below upper 9MH. That was the extent of Jacks probable search area. It never extended to 7 mile bridge. And since he settled on home=spawning grounds (he said the definition ended up being the one he thought) he was able to narrow the search area to around the creek.

The clue tells us to PUT IN BELOW the HOB, meaning your put in point (where you get into the river) is downstream from the creek. It is shallow there and it is safe to cross there most of the time.

5. From there, it's no place for the meek - Since IT is the Madison, this becomes clear - another reason why IT is the key word. The Madison is literally no place for the meek, meaning you have to get in the Madison and cross the river.

6. The end is ever drawing nigh; The spring fed creek is ever drawing into the river, which is to the left when you get to the other side of the Madison.

7. They'll be no paddle up your creek - You need to go up the creek, which is too shallow to paddle up and the fallen lodgepoles further prevent it. Because of the semicolon, this clue is basically the same place as clue 6 - its just an elaboration of the place

8. Just heavy loads and water high - this is the most ambiguous clue for me. Again, the semicolon means that this clue is describing the same basic place as clue 6 (the creek). Heavy loads was a term Forrest used in a couple of videos to describe fallen lodgepole pines. Perhaps it means boulders. Water high could mean the "deeper than normal" (remember Forrest asking about that?) water at the mouth of the creek in the river (which is 9MH). Or perhaps it means water that is coming from high up the mountains, which is where this creek originates. Or perhaps there is some other subtle meaning that gets you closer to the blaze.

9. If you've been wise and found the blaze - You have to "find" the blaze, meaning you have a bit of a search area to cover. I always thought that "being wise" meant you had to be properly aligned by all of the previous clues. Jack said the blaze was some distance away from the previous clues. The picture in the epilogue of TFTW shows an ax and tree stumps. Page 15 indicates that Forrest's life is represented by an asterisk. He later wrote that our lives were just asterisks in a book never written. Jack gave us a hint that the blaze might be an asterisk when he answered a question and used the double omegas and then an asterisk. An asterisk would be easy to make with an ax. So my best bet is that the blaze was an asterisk carved into a tree or stump. One final clue in favor of the asterisk (and I feel this was a real giveaway in retrospect), Forrest answered a question about the blaze on Jenny Kyle's websight, saying that people had all kinds of ideas about what the blaze was - then he strangely and oddly put in "as a side note, with summer on the close horizon people should review the rules about being safe in the mountains". I always thought that was a hint about the blaze, given his odd placement of that - he could have put it anywhere, say in his first or last answers, but he chose to immediately say this after talking about the blaze. Please note that "a side note" is what is normally indicated by an asterisk. He was hinting that the blaze is a side note, i.e. an asterisk. Since Forrest originally planned to die there, it seems the asterisk was a kind of epitaph/marker for his life (like the hint on page 15). It is also a marker for his life in a book never published - the one inside the treasure chest.

Other possible blazes are a down arrow (like the blaze on Lightnings head), a rainbow, or a crescent moon (like the one in the epilogue pic).

Since Forrest's perspective was pirate treasure, and he gave us the Captain Kidd - Gardiner Island reference, perhaps the blaze was on the little island made by the two branches of the creek, which is a little smaller than a football field (Jack's description of his final search area).

Again, these are just my thoughts on how we were supposed to interpret the clues that would get us to the blaze, which was perhaps on that little island made by the creek at 9MH. Or perhaps some other nearby location to the creek.

Thanks for the topic.
      Last edited by Must Listengood; 09-21-2021, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clues evolved.JPG Views:	201 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	340186
        Last edited by Must Listengood; 09-24-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Clues evolved.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	340186
          I think your map lines up with how I am seeing it. That’s going to be my final solution until someone comes along and confirms more. Thanks for sharing ML!

Comment

I think your map lines up with how I am seeing it. That’s going to be my final solution until someone comes along and confirms more. Thanks for sharing ML!
            Yeah, the problem is I don't think the exact final location can be discovered or proven. Only Jack can give us that, and who knows if he ever will. Maybe I'm wrong and others know the exact spot or have seen the pictures. Maybe Jack's search companion knows.

Comment

Thx, Ozzy. Was any sagebrush growing there?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clues evolved.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	340186
                Nice photo! But hasn't this route been out for a while? I'm pretty sure I've seen something pretty similar that was posted, somewhere or other, not long after the chest was found.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain digger
                  Could someone that has bought into 9mh please point out on the photos here where the sage is that f would smell when standing where the chest is?

“If I were standing where the treasure chest is, I’d see trees, I’d see mountains, I’d see animals, I’d smell the wonderful smells of pine needles or pinion nuts,sagebrush, and I know the treasure chest is wet." fenn
                  Playing Devil's Advocate, someone who likes that location might point out the "or" in Forrest's statement.

Comment

Beautiful photo.

Comment

It’s my opinion that “it” is your quest. He says it downright in the poem.

“Look quickly down your quest to cease”

You can’t cease something until you begin it. And what is it your ceasing? Your quest.

There’s a reason you’re given title, Sir.

quest-a long or arduous search for something.

arduous-involving or requiring strenuous effort; difficult and tiring.

“I’ve done it tired and now I’m weak”
                      “Your effort will be worth the cold”

quest-search for; seek out

“Why is it that I must go and leave my trove for all to seek”

quest-(in medieval romance) an expedition made by a knight to accomplish a prescribed task.

“I get romantic at night” -F

Reread My War for Me…he seems a little chivalrous don’t you think? You know with doing the little things just to let her know you care.

What about his dad’s Chevy?

chevalier-a knight​​​​​​

knight-invest (someone) with the title of knight.

knight-(in the Middle Ages) a man who served his sovereign or lord as a mounted soldier in armor. (This is everything)

Serving a sovereign? Who could that be?

forest-(in England) an area, typically owned by the sovereign and partly wooded, kept for hunting and having its own laws.

Haha. Yeah, maybe “it” is just the Madison. No offense, but that doesn’t warrant 10 years of intricate design by the author.
                      Last edited by DanNun; 09-22-2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain digger
                        Could someone that has bought into 9mh please point out on the photos here where the sage is that f would smell when standing where the chest is?

“If I were standing where the treasure chest is, I’d see trees, I’d see mountains, I’d see animals, I’d smell the wonderful smells of pine needles or pinion nuts,sagebrush, and I know the treasure chest is wet." fenn
                        This is an email question I sent to Jack on Jan 17.

Me: In the NM tourism video Forrest said “If I were standing where the treasure chest is, I’d see trees, I’d see mountains, I’d see animals, I’d smell the wonderful smells of pine needles or pinion nuts, sagebrush, and I’d know the treasure chest is wet.” Since the treasure was in Wyoming we now know that there weren’t any pinion nuts, but I’m still wondering about the sagebrush. Was there any sagebrush within 200 feet of the chest?

Jack: The word "or" is important there. He didn't say "and," so he wasn't saying all three of pine needles, pinion, and sagebrush are present. He was evoking the kind of place it is and trying not to be too specific about the geography, I think. I don't want to say how far away the nearest sagebrush was, but obviously it was in a pine forest, not a sagebrush field.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post
                          "...I’d see mountains..."
                          That's not just an observation, but an instruction. You would see two important mountain peaks, "heavy loads" and "water high" side-by-side from the correct vantage point.

Comment

Working...
                          X