Brown is not trout confirmed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AaBbCcDdEeFf View Post

Yes, if trout or fish is HOB then I'm terribly disappointed in the whole thing. I thought Toby was just one of a handful of people that had this as their hob. Now we find out every Tom, Dick, and Jane has it as their defacto hob.
    hoB is not a trout. hoB is a lake, but the exact placement of the lake makes the poem work, and allows you to "go right straight to it".

Comment

Originally posted by My Chase Quest View Post
      Jack said to look at Forrest's writings regarding the capitalization of Brown. When Forrest wrote about lake and cutthroat trout, he used lowercase letters. Brown trout would not be any different. Not Trout people. Does someone have a writing by him that shows him capitalizing brown?
      Brown as in 'home of Brown' in the poem is a historical reference. If knowing WWWH is being halfway there, knowing HOB is being on the Home stretch, pun intended...

Comment

Brown is a proper noun.

proper noun-a name used for an individual person, place, or organization, spelled with initial capital letters

Brown is a place.

home-relating to the place where one lives

Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek…

If you are brave and in the wood I give you title to the gold

title-a name that describes someone's position or job.

position-a place where someone or something is located or has been put.

Or

title-the name of a book, composition, or other artistic work (like a poem?)

Or

title-a descriptive or distinctive name that is earned or chosen. (Like being given title for our effort?)

brown-of a color produced by mixing red, yellow, and blue, as of dark wood or rich soil.

Use the poem to help you. The hints help with the clues. Brown is not a fish IMO. Sorry if that’s in your 9 mile hole solve.

Jack was given title, hence he knew home of Brown.
        Last edited by DanNun; 09-17-2021, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Here's how you home in on Mount Brown.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	tight_focus3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	338639

It doesn't have to be real exact; the put-in is below the peak.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	brown_xonamap.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	338640

Comment

I liked OH's interpretation of the reason why Brown is capitalized is because, like the mountain, it is 'capped', so Brown mountain.
            I took a more lateral (contrived!) approach and said Brown is the keyword - literally, B--n - so home of brown is keyhole reservoir. Similar thinking came up with Paint pots/painters palette and mount coffin/coffin creek.

Comment

Talk to any fisherman in WY/MT. They don't use the word trout.
              They say Rainbows, Browns, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post
                It's not Browns, it's Brown.

Comment

Reread Flywater. It was never about fishing.

”if I told you who Brown was you’d go straight to the treasure”

Why? Because it’s a place or position you’ll fill. It’s a title given.

”I give you title to the gold”

gold-a deep lustrous yellow or yellow-brown color.

Comment

IMO thehomeofBrown.com, Vertigo, Not4but242Walk, and Cary_Galloway have all posted valid reasons why Brown should be capitalized when referring to brown trout. My concern is that, to my knowledge, no one has explained why Jack was the only person to tell Forrest the correct hoB.

Here’s the email question I sent to Jack on Dec 16:
                    Me: It‘s been rumored that Forrest said you were the only person to correctly identify the hoB. As far as you know, is that a true statement? Were you the only person to correctly identify hoB?
                    Jack: I didn't ask him that, but it wouldn't surprise me. At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if someone figured that out and hadn't told him. I didn't before I met him.

So Jack’s answer seems to imply that the hoB wasn’t something that was obvious. Jack’s Reddit posts also indicate that he spent some time trying to figure out the hoB.

I could be wrong, but it seems like more than a few people thought the hoB referred to brown trout at Nine Mile Hole. Maybe Forrest wanted something more specific than this. Maybe Forrest’s statement was misleading and there really were more than a few people who correctly identified hoB.

I think Nine Mile Hole is the correct location but I still wonder about the hoB.

Comment

When they say these two words, how do you know they're saying them with capitol letters?
                      Do the capitol letters flow from their lips? It's just amazing the things you see on Mulberry Street.
                      Begin it in the home of Brown where warm waters halt.

Comment

Originally posted by My Chase Quest View Post

It's not Browns, it's Brown.
                        It is a poem. He has to rhyme with the line:
                        "And take it in the canyon down"

so you expect him to say Home of brown trout?
                        instead of Home of Brown?

useless!

Comment

It is a poem. He has to rhyme with the line:
                          "And take it in the canyon down"

so you expect him to say Home of brown trout?
                          instead of Home of Brown?

useless!
                          You should probably add that last word to all your posts, especially the ones that push brown trout as the home of Brown.
                          Priceless!
                          Begin it in the home of Brown where warm waters halt.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post
                            IMO thehomeofBrown.com, Vertigo, Not4but242Walk, and Cary_Galloway have all posted valid reasons why Brown should be capitalized when referring to brown trout. My concern is that, to my knowledge, no one has explained why Jack was the only person to tell Forrest the correct hoB.

Me: It‘s been rumored that Forrest said you were the only person to correctly identify the hoB. As far as you know, is that a true statement? Were you the only person to correctly identify hoB?
                            Jack: I didn't ask him that, but it wouldn't surprise me. At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if someone figured that out and hadn't told him. I didn't before I met him.

So Jack’s answer seems to imply that the hoB wasn’t something that was obvious. Jack’s Reddit posts also indicate that he spent some time trying to figure out the hoB.

I could be wrong, but it seems like more than a few people thought the hoB referred to brown trout at Nine Mile Hole. Maybe Forrest wanted something more specific than this. Maybe Forrest’s statement was misleading and there really were more than a few people who correctly identified hoB.

I think Nine Mile Hole is the correct location but I still wonder about the hoB.
                            Exacttly. I'm sure more than several people told him Brown meant trout. Another reason it's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

Do you mean its proper name?

For my solve, that name isn't needed. The clue is simply "put it below the lake". Many people could have had "a lake" for their hoB, but the correct one would of course have an actual name.

For mine, it's Monster Lake, but that name has no bearing on solving the clue. If it is the correct one, it may just be that noone ever used its proper name in their solve or messages to Fenn.

Comment

I’m not trying to disprove the Nine Mile Hole solve. I really think this is the correct area. I’m just trying to be as objective as possible and I’m still having a slight problem with hoB.

Is there any evidence the email was fake and that Forrest really didn’t say the finder was the only person to correctly identify hoB? I think there was some discussion about this a while back but I can’t remember what came out of it.
                                ​​​​​​
                                Maybe Forrest was looking for something more specific than just brown trout at Nine Mile Hole. Maybe, as some people suggested, hoB refers to a spawning ground for brown trout up the creek at NMH.

Comment

Working...
                                X