Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown is not trout confirmed?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brown is not trout confirmed?

    Jack said to look at Forrest's writings regarding the capitalization of Brown. When Forrest wrote about lake and cutthroat trout, he used lowercase letters. Brown trout would not be any different. Not Trout people. Does someone have a writing by him that shows him capitalizing brown?

  • #2
    You're correct that Forrest doesn't capitalize when he uses the full name. That would be proper if the poem had read "Put in below the home of brown trout." But since trout wasn't specified, Forrest had to capitalize the word to indicate it's a noun. We're supposed to pay attention to the nouns according to Forrest.
    Rudy Green[e]
    whereis.thehomeofBrown.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by thehomeofBrown.com View Post
      You're correct that Forrest doesn't capitalize when he uses the full name. That would be proper if the poem had read "Put in below the home of brown trout." But since trout wasn't specified, Forrest had to capitalize the word to indicate it's a noun. We're supposed to pay attention to the nouns according to Forrest.
      If he doesn't capitalize it's still a noun. It's the context of the sentence that makes it a noun not the capitalization. The other thing is what Jack said about looking at his writings. Do you know of a writing where he does capitalize it?
      Last edited by My Chase Quest; 09-17-2021, 06:41 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        That confirms it for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by thehomeofBrown.com View Post
          You're correct that Forrest doesn't capitalize when he uses the full name. That would be proper if the poem had read "Put in below the home of brown trout." But since trout wasn't specified, Forrest had to capitalize the word to indicate it's a noun. We're supposed to pay attention to the nouns according to Forrest.
          The poem contains at least one other important noun that people seem to be ignoring or misunderestimating. Hah! (If you get that little joke, kudos to you.)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by My Chase Quest View Post

            If he doesn't capitalize it's still a noun. It's the context of the sentence that makes it a noun not the capitalization. The other thing is what Jack said about looking at his writings. Do you know of a writing where he does capitalize it?
            If he doesn't capitalize, it could be an adjective. As such, the sentence would mean to put in below the brown colored home. Forrest deliberately precluded that interpretation.

            Forrest does not capitalize in other writings because the other writings have additional context, as Rudy explained. By contrast, the poem does not provide additional context.
            Last edited by Vertigo; 09-17-2021, 06:58 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

              If he doesn't capitalize, it could be an adjective. As such, the sentence would mean to put in below the brown colored home.

              Forrest deliberately precluded that interpretation.
              Actually, no he didn't. The official paint color is NPS Brown or simply Brown. That is a proper noun requiring capitalization. Not to mention brown in brown trout is an adjective within the name.

              Edit:The bottom line is you cant reconcile what Jack said with brown trout.
              Last edited by My Chase Quest; 09-17-2021, 06:57 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Almost every sound of the poem is a noun test me if u don’t think so

                Comment


                • #9
                  mr ducks ,mr knot
                  Osar, cm wings
                  lib mr ducks

                  them are ducks , them are not
                  oh yes the are ,see them wings
                  well I’ll be them are ducks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fun Fact: This tattoo belongs to the guy who visited the same "stretch of the Madison" as Jack. I'm not even kidding.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	BrownTat.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	338534

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by My Chase Quest View Post
                      Jack said to look at Forrest's writings regarding the capitalization of Brown. When Forrest wrote about lake and cutthroat trout, he used lowercase letters. Brown trout would not be any different. Not Trout people. Does someone have a writing by him that shows him capitalizing brown?
                      LOL Nothing Jack says is relevant to the solution.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Stanza Two: Forrest Fenn's home of Brown is a place on a map. So is 'where warm waters halt.' He told us to marry these clues to places to a map, to places on the ground. You can't marry a brown trout to a place on a map. Brown trout are just about everywhere in the US.

                        The home of Brown is like the town of San Berdoo. No one lives in San Berdoo, and no one can use San Berdoo as part of their official home address. San Berdoo is just a slang term for San Bernadino, CA. Forrest is using the home of Brown in the same way. No one can use home of Brown as part of their official address. They must use Colorado. The 'home of Brown' is just Forrest's code for the state.

                        Note this though: NPR Brown is an official color, but 'brown' is not an official color.
                        You must use NPR Brown.

                        The same thing applies to the home of Brown.
                        The 'home of Brown' is an entity unto itself and must always be used in that unique three-word format because it's another term for the name of a state.
                        Last edited by larsonist; 09-17-2021, 08:15 PM.
                        Begin it in the home of Brown where warm waters halt.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not that my solve or ideas are better than the next guys', but one thing that has always really surprised me about the chase is how many searchers seem to think that brown trout/bears/beavers/whatever animal is a winning answer to that part of the poem. I can't believe Fenn couldn't come up with something better than that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Jack mentioned F wanted to be taken seriously as a writer, which can include following the US Fish & Wildlife's Guide for Authors which tells you when to use capitalization.

                            "Except for fishes, do not capitalize common names of species"

                            source: https://www.fws.gov/science/guideforauthors.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Macahol View Post
                              Not that my solve or ideas are better than the next guys', but one thing that has always really surprised me about the chase is how many searchers seem to think that brown trout/bears/beavers/whatever animal is a winning answer to that part of the poem. I can't believe Fenn couldn't come up with something better than that.
                              Yes, if trout or fish is HOB then I'm terribly disappointed in the whole thing. I thought Toby was just one of a handful of people that had this as their hob. Now we find out every Tom, Dick, and Jane has it as their defacto hob.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X