More than one winner in this hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than one winner in this hunt?

First, I strongly suggest y'all listen to the Bobby Bare song, "The Winner". Although done with a fun tone, it does carry a serious message. You can probably hear it for free on youtube.

Defining "winner" may not be very easy . . . just like defining "win". Although it may be fair to call this treasure hunt a "competition", I don't think it would be accurate to say that only the first person to retrieve the treasure chest wins anything -- especially if it turns out to be a "white elephant" or "Pandora's box", bringing with it more trouble than it's worth. Yes, I may be introducing a value judgment here, but it's not like this entire treasure hunt doesn't involve value judgment(s) . . . right?

We've all heard of "consolation prizes", haven't we? Perhaps the purpose of a consolation prize is to cheer up someone who hasn't won the main prize . . . in other words, to "console" them.

Well, here's an idea that may well have been already thought of and discussed quite a bit. We've read about someone "enjoying their expensive vacation", right? That idea involves a person spending a lot of money (and, presumably, also time) looking for the treasure but not finding it. Most of us who have been on a search trip looking for the Fenn treasure have probably had this experience. I have done this about half a dozen times myself. Each time I have been disappointed by my failure to find the treasure chest, but while on the search trip have seen some gorgeous, remarkably impressive natural beauty -- not only in the Rocky Mountains but also while driving to and from them. If not for this treasure hunt, I probably would have not yet seen the Rocky Mountains at all, or anything they contain.

So I consider myself to be a "winner" of a consolation prize. It may be pretty minor, compared to a bronze chest of gold and jewels and other trinkets, but I have (valuable-to-me) memories of what I saw and experienced, and those memories will last a long time -- possibly longer than it would take me to spend about a million dollars. I realize that it may seem like I'm making excuses for not continuing my effort(s) to solve and search. Those efforts are continuing. I'm still putting time and money into this thing, and hoping for a financial reward for doing so. So far, in this hunt -- maybe I should think of it as "my hunt, for me" (not to be
    confused with "my hunt for me", because I'm not searching for myself. I've never been that way -- ), only non-financial reward has been received here. Oh, well.

OH!, another thing I want to mention, that I consider a benefit (or "reward" or "prize", even if only the "consolation" type), is the experience and knowledge gained from participation in this hunt. And yes, I am aware that Forrest has frequently said "treasure" instead of "treasure chest".
    Yes, there have been frustrating times, and yes, they continue to appear. But it's all voluntary, and I am grateful for all of it, even though I don't go around talking to dead people or imaginary entities in an effort to thank them. From my experience(s) resulting from participation in this treasure hunt, I have learned some things that are helping me to be more at peace with everything and everyone, and nicer to people and to the environment . . . compared to the way I was just before being introduced to the hunt. Thank y'all for reading, and good luck to y'all in the hunt and -- more generally -- in life.
    Old Pilot
    Last edited by Old Pilot; 09-06-2021, 10:28 PM.

as it turns out the hunters are the hunted…

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
      First, I strongly suggest y'all listen to the Bobby Bare song, "The Winner". Although done with a fun tone, it does carry a serious message. You can probably hear it for free on youtube.

Defining "winner" may not be very easy . . . just like defining "win". Although it may be fair to call this treasure hunt a "competition", I don't think it would be accurate to say that only the
      first person to retrieve the treasure chest wins anything -- especially if it turns out to be a "white elephant" or "Pandora's box", bringing with it more trouble than it's worth. Yes, I may be
      introducing a value judgement here, but it's not like this entire treasure hunt doesn't involve value judgement(s) . . . right?

We've all heard of "consolation prizes", haven't we? Perhaps the purpose of a consolation prize is to cheer up someone who hasn't won the main prize . . . in other words, to "console" them.

Well, here's an idea that may well have been already thought of and discussed quite a bit. We've read about someone "enjoying their expensive vacation", right? That idea involves a person
      spending a lot of money (and, presumably, also time) looking for the treasure but not finding it. Most of us who have been on a search trip looking for the Fenn treasure have probably had
      this experience. I have done this about half a dozen times myself. Each time I have been disappointed by my failure to find the treasure chest, but while on the search trip have seen some
      gorgeous, remarkably impressive natural beauty -- not only in the Rocky Mountains but also while driving to and from them. If not for this treasure hunt, I probably would have not net seen
      the Rocky Mountains at all, or anything they contain.

So I consider myself to be a "winner" of a consolation prize. It may be pretty minor, compared to a bronze chest of gold and jewels and other trinkets, but I'll have (valuable-to-me) memories
      of what I saw and experienced, and those memories will last a long time. Possibly longer than it would take to spend about a million dollars. I realize that it may seem like I'm making excuses
      for not continuing my effort(s) to solve and search. Those efforts are continuing. I'm still putting time and money into this thing, and hoping for a financial reward for doing so. But for now,
      only non-financial reward has been received here. Oh, well.

OH!, another thing I want to mention, that I consider a benefit (or "reward" or "prize", even if only the "consolation" type), is the experience and knowledge gained from participation in this.
      Yes, there have been frustrating times, and yes, they continue to appear. But it's all voluntary, and I am grateful for all of it, even though I don't go around talking to dead people or imaginary
      entities in an effort to thank them. From my experience(s) resulting from participation in this treasure hunt, I have learned some things that are helping me to be nicer to people and to the environment . . . compared to the way I was just before being introduced to the hunt. Thank y'all for reading, and good luck to y'all in the hunt and -- more generally -- in life.
      If you didn't score a touchdown here, you most definitely scored a field goal....
      (Perhaps even with a little help from our friend)

Comment

Gosh Old Pilot…your a great person. Thank you for helping me look harder for what I am missing.

Comment

We are all winners! Mr. Fenn said something about he didn't want it to be a door prize or anything like that. Consolation prize's for everyone sounds good to me. I adored all my "vacations" and time researching potential hideouts. There is no way I could feel like I lost out on anything by being a part of Fenn's fun Chase.

Comment

I agree. Thanks, Old Pilot. Well said.

Comment

Old Pilot, I agree with your thoughts and perspectives. They mirror things I've said both publicly and privately for some time now.

But your message fails to address my main reason d'etre for continuing to monitor the proceedings here and elsewhere. Namely, I want to know what this contest really was about. I no longer believe that the Chase was about finding a box of gold at all. I may be wrong about that . . . Maybe Jack and his blank slate disclosures will be the final word . . . But I remain hopeful that eventually the fulsome Truth about this contest will become public knowledge.

But as the days pass and nothing of transformative value emerges, my hopes for a quick resolution are fading. It seems clear that no one here is either capable of, or willing to, issue certifiably-true proofs that unambiguously answer the basics:

Who, What, When, Where, Why, How, etc.

But until someone does, we're all stuck with the extremely unsatisfying ending that we've been railing against for more than a year already. So if anyone out there can answer any or all of these questions, I would appreciate it if you'd come forward and enlighten "We the Community."

Regards to All.

Comment

"...the promise..."

Comment

People are crazy, this is what I learned.
                  CoatezOfManyColors
                  Last edited by CoatezOfManyColors; 09-07-2021, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CoatezOfManyColors View Post
                    People are crazy
                    Beer is good.

Comment

We are all winners, regardless...

Comment

I'll be standing by the jukebox
                        Champagne or Prosecco?
                        I was playing classics by the Buzzcocks
                        Battiato and Lucio

Comment

Here is an idea. We need 349,999 of these trophies to give out. I'll donate mine to the first one to complain about the idea so he/she can have 2 and feel special.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Participation-trophies.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	5.30 MB
ID:	335460

Comment

In 1980 I was half way through my military service, there was a little over 500,000 sailors at that time. I did not get a participation trophy when I was done. The ones who severed prior to that era and after are eligible for Veterans Preference when they apply for a job, but not me. Should that make me feel special in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Seedling View Post
                              In 1980 I was half way through my military service, there was a little over 500,000 sailors at that time. I did not get a participation trophy when I was done. The ones who severed prior to that era and after are eligible for Veterans Preference when they apply for a job, but not me. Should that make me feel special in any way?
                              I dunno. But you're likely special for other reason(s) . . . not to mention unique . . . and probably bored -- a bit -- by now.
                              Thank you for serving.
                              Old Pilot
                              Last edited by Old Pilot; 01-14-2022, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X