Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Reason People Failed - Opinion Poll

To any and all:

If you could in a few words or sentences give your opinion or opinions as to why so many people failed at finding the chest, what would the reason or reasons be? I'll give a brief summary of mine:

My main reason is that of the hundreds of thousands of people that were looking for the same treasure, reading the same books and poem, roving about in the same states and search areas and largely at the same times ... NONE* of them figured out WWWH. It's as simple as that! FF said if you don't have that, you don't have ANYTHING! That meansno canyon down, no too far to walk, no home of Brown, no no place for the meek, no no paddle up your creek, no heavy loads and water high, no blaze . . . 'no nothing' etc.

With all of those searchers roving about you'd think that if WWWH was simply as obvious as it seems in the poem that this chase would have been over in short order. The only thing that makes sense to me is that 'warm waters' possibly isn't talking about 'warm water anything'. Maybe it's not a creek, a boiling spring, a warm river, a geyser, a pool, a pond, a lake, a hole, a basin, a sink, a crater, a dam, a drainage, a waterfall etc ... because if it literally was any one of these sort of things it should have been much simpler to figure out. None of the former list of things would constitute much difficulty in my opinion in associating them to the poem, yet, FF said it was 'difficult but not impossible' to figure out. If it takes a person to figure out WWWH to figure out and go to the rest of the clues from the poem then that's what you have to do. And as most people thought they were doing just that, you have to wonder why it hasn't worked.

* Other than 'the' finder and the 'few' mystery people that figured out the first two clues, but they apparently 'didn't know it' according to FF. But if it's 'all academic after that' then why couldn't they figure it out from there? The simple answer is that they didn't know what 'WWWH' was. So, Perhaps 'WWWH' isn't itself 'academic' in the sense that it has nothing to do with geography in the immediate sense. It's only after you figure out what it meant to FF that you can then apply it to 'something somewhere' geographically.

IMHO the first few clues are extremely simple… simple enough for quite a few to then miss the next clues and go home and definitely too simple for the bunch of super smart searchers who keep preaching and teaching how intelligent they are…

The one or two in the middle (see what I did here?) was/were easily distracted by all those voices in his head / their heads!

When it comes to my head… I hear Thor all the time…

„It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
    G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

Your Reason People Failed - Opinion Poll

Prolly coz they were just looking for trees, canyons and creeks.

Not many recognized the huge red herring.

Comment

Too many searchers treated it as a typical treasure hunt... Looking for codes and cyphers and just generally over complicating the clues.... Many fell deep into rabbit holes that they were never able to extract themselves from...
        Those few who did discover the correct path were thrown off course by a strange twist of words in the second half of the poem.... They left the path and could not recover....
        Many were looking for a magical place... Forrest Fenn's Garden of Eden... They didn't understand the man or how to see the beauty in the most simple of things....
        All in my opinion of course....

Comment

Lack of direction.

Comment

The clues were vague enough that they fit thousands of locations in the search area and people overcomplicating the poem

Comment

Originally posted by Notable Canon View Post
              To any and all:

If you could in a few words or sentences give your opinion or opinions as to why so many people failed at finding the chest, what would the reason or reasons be? I'll give a brief summary of mine:

My main reason is that of the hundreds of thousands of people that were looking for the same treasure, reading the same books and poem, roving about in the same states and search areas and largely at the same times ... NONE* of them figured out WWWH. It's as simple as that! FF said if you don't have that, you don't have ANYTHING! That meansno canyon down, no too far to walk, no home of Brown, no no place for the meek, no no paddle up your creek, no heavy loads and water high, no blaze . . . 'no nothing' etc.

With all of those searchers roving about you'd think that if WWWH was simply as obvious as it seems in the poem that this chase would have been over in short order. The only thing that makes sense to me is that 'warm waters' possibly isn't talking about 'warm water anything'. Maybe it's not a creek, a boiling spring, a warm river, a geyser, a pool, a pond, a lake, a hole, a basin, a sink, a crater, a dam, a drainage, a waterfall etc ... because if it literally was any one of these sort of things it should have been much simpler to figure out. None of the former list of things would constitute much difficulty in my opinion in associating them to the poem, yet, FF said it was 'difficult but not impossible' to figure out. If it takes a person to figure out WWWH to figure out and go to the rest of the clues from the poem then that's what you have to do. And as most people thought they were doing just that, you have to wonder why it hasn't worked.

* Other than 'the' finder and the 'few' mystery people that figured out the first two clues, but they apparently 'didn't know it' according to FF. But if it's 'all academic after that' then why couldn't they figure it out from there? The simple answer is that they didn't know what 'WWWH' was. So, Perhaps 'WWWH' isn't itself 'academic' in the sense that it has nothing to do with geography in the immediate sense. It's only after you figure out what it meant to FF that you can then apply it to 'something somewhere' geographically.
              There are two ways I can approach your question. I could tell you and then I would have advocate fore your demise or I can keep my secrets where and we are both happy.

Comment

One had to "look at the big picture" as f did. That means from 30,000 feet.

If you don't have the 1st clue solved (where Alkali, Beck and Markham Reservoirs halt), "you don't have anything". Without that, you have no means to "put in" correctly after the 2nd clue, and will go right past the other seven.

You also won't end with the correct blaze, without first knowing the correct starting point.

Comment

It took a long time for me to understand that if I have to wash the dishes that I am blessed. Some people don't get to wash the dishes half as much as they wish they could.

Comment

Originally posted by Duster View Post
                    It took a long time for me to understand that if I have to wash the dishes that I am blessed. Some people don't get to wash the dishes half as much as they wish they could.
                    Wisdom is rarer than riches.

Comment

Forest tought me a lot with the chase. His kindness and joking ways reminded me of my grandma. She grew up during the great depression too and was a very wise woman. I miss her too.

Comment

The reason most failed, they did not listen to Forrest Fenn and played follow the leader.
                        And Forrest Fenn was a tricky SOB that could turn water into sand and a river valley into a canyon
                        make you think you were going somewhere when you were leaving, and then take water high and put in under your feet.
                        All with his pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Notable Canon View Post
                          To any and all:

If you could in a few words or sentences give your opinion or opinions as to why so many people failed at finding the chest, what would the reason or reasons be?
                          Well, in one sense, everyone was destined to fail but one, because there was only one chest. But I don't really feel like I failed. I had done all I could do from here; there was nothing left to do but go back out there and search the spot. But it's a long way from here to there. I knew that if I had solved the poem then somebody else could solve it, too, and although I didn't see much talk about my area or my solving technique in the chatrooms I knew that didn't really mean anything, since I was a silent lurker myself. So it was a risk, leaving it out there, but bringing Forrest's treasure hunt to an end wasn't my most pressing concern. It was all he had left.

Comment

If I had to guess, based on what the finder has said, I’d guess that the blaze being damaged was a real deterrent. Jack himself said he thought he’d walked past the chest at least once before he found it, so I’m thinking if the blaze was damaged to the point it was hard to “read” that means the chest could have been in a reasonably searched area and not found. That and the fact it was covered in debris over the years, almost up to the lid would make it very hard to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Duster View Post
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	CEB11FD1-8C9A-4234-AFA0-1E401D770E13.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	177.6 KB ID:	334414
                              Willie in the Dish Washer – by Forrest Fenn
                              Last edited by Chester Retriever; 09-02-2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X