• Originally posted by Mr Eyes View Post

Bless you too, my child...
    Hallelujah.

Now give up your hints!

Comment

• Originally posted by BritChaser View Post

Hallelujah.

Now give up your hints!
      Cheeky! Go use your own dictionary, I'm not doing the work for you...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Eyes View Post

Cheeky! Go use your own dictionary, I'm not doing the work for you...
        Don’t worry, three years solid, flat out obsession later..I’ve got them all and the hundred that aren’t hehe

Just hoping for more of a community involvement to come to a consensus on the best candidates for the four hints (on the basis that there are only 4… or *if* there were only 4).

Comment

Ok then… Borders… ff could have said any store and went out of his way to ask us to support independent bookstores.. he knew we would jump to see a hint.. so… clumsy, red herring or hint?

which obviously leads on to the classic biddies in the border line. And the link to the only other use of Biddies, in no place for biddies chapter.

In a previous solve I had two extinct volcanoes, one taller than the other, both on the border line. A good reason for zero population growth right there! The border line even moved/was shaped, like the story talks about the line moving..

No place for the older (geological features/people/volcanoes/…)

The border’s line talk of older folk not having much time left vs young people.. goes this suggest no place for the meek, the end is ever drawing nigh is one clue together?!

what does this one mean for you if it’s one of four clues and is for no place for the meek, the end is ever drawing nigh..

Free advice is worth the price one pays so here goes nothing.

Maybe this is a red herring. Forrest was having fun (maybe) with his story. So the big retail books stores (Borders, Barnes, etc) contain nothing of real value. You would never go there for example an discover a collectible book (like the ones in his wonderful collection) Or for that matter his book which contains a treasure map/or inspires the thrill of the chase. Most of the books he discovered there were useless in his opinion and the people there were boring and lacked any interesting characteristics and were clueless about what a great book was and where you would find it. Anyway, that’s one red herring opinion., maybe...

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Graham View Post

Susie Fennhaven said during a Kpro marathon that the drawing in Gypsy Magic reminded her of a recreational vehicle campground. So there is the possibility that the treasure was near to a RV campground.
            Interesting idea. Maybe the one at Madison Junction.
            I mentioned previously the the campfire might hint at the 1872 Washburn-Langford-Doane Expedition. They were sitting around a campfire at Madison Junction when they came up with the idea of establishing National Parks. That would make Madison Junction the home (birthplace) of National Parks. Since brown is the signature NPS sign color, that would make Madison Junction the hoB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

Interesting idea. Maybe the one at Madison Junction.
              I mentioned previously the the campfire might hint at the 1872 Washburn-Langford-Doane Expedition. They were sitting around a campfire at Madison Junction when they came up with the idea of establishing National Parks. That would make Madison Junction the home (birthplace) of National Parks. Since brown is the signature NPS sign color, that would make Madison Junction the hoB.
              I had also once thought about that original 1872 campfire as the blaze location and even researched to find the exact location and I found a description in some of the historical records of the location as an area at Madison Junction just across the Madison river below a bluff near the base of the mountains. Several of the clues fit nicely to that location and I felt I had it narrowed down to a fairly small area and I always said I would go over there on one of my few trips to YNP and I never did. My HoB was Madison Junction because it’s a put in below Nez Perce on Firehole River where they originally stocked brown trout. Not crossing the Madison and going over there is probably one of my many regrets because it’s so easy to cross the Madison there but the idea that I had to put so much research beyond TTOTC to find the historical spot lead me a “not likely” position.

But I would love to know if others thought about it and checked it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

I had also once thought about that original 1872 campfire as the blaze location and even researched to find the exact location and I found a description in some of the historical records of the location as an area at Madison Junction just across the Madison river below a bluff near the base of the mountains. Several of the clues fit nicely to that location and I felt I had it narrowed down to a fairly small area and I always said I would go over there on one of my few trips to YNP and I never did. My HoB was Madison Junction because it’s a put in below Nez Perce on Firehole River where they originally stocked brown trout. Not crossing the Madison and going over there is probably one of my many regrets because it’s so easy to cross the Madison there but the idea that I had to put so much research beyond TTOTC to find the historical spot lead me a “not likely” position.

But I would love to know if others thought about it and checked it out.
                You actually found the location of the campfire? That’s impressive. Are you willing to tell us where it was? As far as you can tell, did it fit with what Jack told us about the blaze? Was it in a forested area roughly the size of of a football field? Was Jack wandering around for 25 days looking for the remnants of the campfire?

You said it's easy to cross the Madison there. Were you talking about the Madison after the confluence with the Firehole? It would be easy to get across the Gibbon (191 crosses it just before Madison Junction), but the Firehole and Madison are a different story.

My thought was that National Park Mountain was the hoB since the expedition was sitting around a campfire below National Park Mountain when they came up with the idea of National Parks. That would tie in with the blaze being their campfire.

Comment

Don’t worry, three years solid, flat out obsession later..I’ve got them all
                  Obviously not if you're convinced Jackanory is telling the truth that there are only 4 clues in the book. If that's what he actually said and its not just your interpretation.

Comment

You actually found the location of the campfire? That’s impressive. Are you willing to tell us where it was? As far as you can tell, did it fit with what Jack told us about the blaze? Was it in a forested area roughly the size of of a football field? Was Jack wandering around for 25 days looking for the remnants of the campfire?

You said it's easy to cross the Madison there. Were you talking about the Madison after the confluence with the Firehole? It would be easy to get across the Gibbon (191 crosses it just before Madison Junction), but the Firehole and Madison are a different story.

My thought was that National Park Mountain was the hoB since the expedition was sitting around a campfire below National Park Mountain when they came up with the idea of National Parks. That would tie in with the blaze being their campfire.
                    RN,
                    I will commit to going back and trying to find that source which describes where they camped that night. From memory, They describe features that could be used like below a bluff, base of the mountain where the rivers join, etc.

It is documented enough that you could scope out the area and get it into maybe a football field but more likely a 1/2 sq mile.

as fas as crossing the Madison, I have parked at the Madison Junction parking area and walked the 400-500 yards or so to the rivers edge and fly fished there and it would be an easy crossing. mainly because the river is broken up in that area into 2-3 streams that don’t completely join until further down stream.

so the search is not a priority any longer but I will do some digging this week and be back with a source/link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

RN,
                      I will commit to going back and trying to find that source which describes where they camped that night. From memory, They describe features that could be used like below a bluff, base of the mountain where the rivers join, etc.

It is documented enough that you could scope out the area and get it into maybe a football field but more likely a 1/2 sq mile.

as fas as crossing the Madison, I have parked at the Madison Junction parking area and walked the 400-500 yards or so to the rivers edge and fly fished there and it would be an easy crossing. mainly because the river is broken up in that area into 2-3 streams that don’t completely join until further down stream.

so the search is not a priority any longer but I will do some digging this week and be back with a source/link.
                      Thanks Ozzy! That's great information.
                      Do you think Jack could have crossed the Madison there in early June? The Nine Mile Hole solve involved crossing about 5 miles downriver. If there was an easy crossing near Madison Junction then that seems like a more likely place.

Do you think it’s possible that evidence of the expedition’s fire pit could last for 150 years? Archeologists use charcoal to date ancient settlements because it takes hundreds of year for charcoal to decompose. Maybe Jack was also able to figure out the general area where the expedition camped. He then spent 25 days wandering around looking for evidence of the campfire. I don't know if this is reasonable. It seems like the fire pit would have been covered by dirt. Maybe the stones surrounding the pit were still visible (would the fire ring be considered a structure?). Maybe the expedition carved some kind of marker into a nearby rock. Maybe Forrest's father found the fire pit back in the 1920s and showed the location to Forrest.

Comment

• GoldenFrog I believe you found the remnants of a campfire, didn't you?

That being said, "The Madison Museum was intended to focus on park history, especially the nearby site where the 1870 Washburn expedition was thought to have originated the idea of a national park as a way to protect the thermal areas from commercial development--the "campfire story." References to the story were removed from the museum in acknowledgement of overwhelming evidence that refuted the story. However, in deference to National Park Service officials who would not abandon the story, the purported campfire discussion was commemorated in a sign placed outside the museum. The sign is still nearby."

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...on-station.htm

Comment

• @RedneckGirl if you are looking for an actual fire for blaze, there was a fire tower downstream on the S side of the Madison, with Promontory (one definition=stands out) in its name, I believe. It was on or just off the old Fountain Flats trail/road, which was used back when stagecoaches were used to tour the park, and also by Native Americans. Was on an old map with the trail and the fire tower on it.

ETA: I think it started S of the Two Ribbons Trail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady V View Post
                            @RedneckGirl if you are looking for an actual fire for blaze, there was a fire tower downstream on the S side of the Madison, with Promontory (one definition=stands out) in its name, I believe. It was on or just off the old Fountain Flats trail/road, which was used back when stagecoaches were used to tour the park, and also by Native Americans. Was on an old map with the trail and the fire tower on it.

ETA: I think it started S of the Two Ribbons Trail.
                            I was interested in the site of the Washburn expedition's campfire. If the "campfire story" was made up then there might not be a campfire site. However if the story was true then there might still be some evidence of the campfire. Was the sign outside the museum placed at the location of the campfire? Ozzy seemed to think the campfire was on the south side of the Madison.

I like the idea because it seems to tie into some kind of narrative. In a post above I suggested that hoB could be National Park Mountain since it was below National Park Mountain where the Washburn expedition purportedly had their campfire discussion. That would make National Park Mountain the birthplace (home) of National Parks. Since NPS signs are brown, that would make it the home of Brown. The blaze would then be the remnants of the Washburn expedition's campfire.

Ozzy said it would be easy to cross the Madison near Madison Junction. You were just there. What do you think?

Comment

I was interested in the site of the Washburn expedition's campfire. If the "campfire story" was made up then there might not be a campfire site. However if the story was true then there might still be some evidence of the campfire. Was the sign outside the museum placed at the location of the campfire? Ozzy seemed to think the campfire was on the south side of the Madison.

I like the idea because it seems to tie into some kind of narrative. In a post above I suggested that hoB could be National Park Mountain since it was below National Park Mountain where the Washburn expedition purportedly had their campfire discussion. That would make National Park Mountain the birthplace (home) of National Parks. Since NPS signs are brown, that would make it the home of Brown. The blaze would then be the remnants of the Washburn expedition's campfire.

Ozzy said it would be easy to cross the Madison near Madison Junction. You were just there. What do you think?
                              I have been reading many of the journals and diaries of that expedition. On and interesting note one of the expedition (I believe Langford) used the phrase “brakes and thickets” very very similar to how Forrest used the phase in FLYWATER. Could be coincidence, I summarized that Forrest probably read these journals at some point and maybe like the phrase so much that he borrowed it. The word halt is used frequently as well.

With that said Redneck Girl, I have not found the exact journal entry that I’m looking for but my best estimation of the campfire site is 44°38'25"N 110°51'52"W. This is at the base of National Park Mountain. There’s rock bluff and a wooded area just south of the gibbon/Firehole junction and this is where they may have camped that night. One of the journal entries describes a geyser opposite side of gibbon from their camp (terrace spring). So at the junction below a bluff, base of mountain and where they could see/hear terrace springs. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Ozzy! That's great information.
                                Do you think Jack could have crossed the Madison there in early June? The Nine Mile Hole solve involved crossing about 5 miles downriver. If there was an easy crossing near Madison Junction then that seems like a more likely place.

Do you think it’s possible that evidence of the expedition’s fire pit could last for 150 years? Archeologists use charcoal to date ancient settlements because it takes hundreds of year for charcoal to decompose. Maybe Jack was also able to figure out the general area where the expedition camped. He then spent 25 days wandering around looking for evidence of the campfire. I don't know if this is reasonable. It seems like the fire pit would have been covered by dirt. Maybe the stones surrounding the pit were still visible (would the fire ring be considered a structure?). Maybe the expedition carved some kind of marker into a nearby rock. Maybe Forrest's father found the fire pit back in the 1920s and showed the location to Forrest.
                                Much easier to cross at the junction than further down. Further down there are places that look harmless but other areas I would not attempt and I’m fairly athletic and agile. But a person could cross at just about any point I just don’t think Forrest wanted people attempting something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X