A Word that is Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Is your conclusion (after much on-the-ground experience) -- that the word that is key is Colorado -- based on knowledge gained while BOTG hiking in search of the Fenn treasure?
    I've been away from this stuff for a year so let me clarify....
    In 2014 I figured out the blue/red/yellow puzzle of Colorado's state flag so that was it man, I was hot on the trail.
    I was going to search only in the CO/NM state line area.
    I assumed I had discovered the key to which states were critical to the search, CO and NM, so I was done defining 'key.'
    But it wasn't till four or five months ago---I swear---that the deeper meaning of key came to me: The treasure is in NM but you absolutely cannot get to it without going through Colorado.
    Even though the Los Pinos River flows from CO into NM just down from the border, it cascades into a dangerous canyon that has taken lives.
    There is no paddle up this creek---no access to the treasure.
    Colorado is truly the key to the chest.

Comment

'Yes, this means using a dictionary -- "

And perhaps a Navajo translator for verification.

Comment

Didn't F say he was partial to Webster's 1828? Seemed to me like the one to start with. Only one or two words that it didn't give a broad possibility of context for.

Comment

Originally posted by JEffjeFF View Post
          Didn't F say he was partial to Webster's 1828? Seemed to me like the one to start with. Only one or two words that it didn't give a broad possibility of context for.
          Don't recall Forrest mentioning a Webster's dictionary. But he did answer a searcher's question about dictionaries:

MW Q&A (6/26/2014): “Dear Mr. Fenn, The definitions of words seem to interest you. What dictionary, and year of dictionary, do you use for looking up words? ~wordsmith”

FF: “Interesting that you would ask that Mr. /Mz Wordsmith. I don’t use dictionaries anymore. I just type the word in Google for a faster response. It’s fun to make up words and play with different spellings. When someone calls me out after noticing the corruption of a word I use, I just smile, especially when I say something that in my mind is correct but in an academic sense it’s a horrible malfunction.

“For instance, emblazoned upon some of the bronze bells I’ve buried are the words, ‘Imagination is more important than knowlege.’ If I had spelled that last word correctly it would not have had the profundity of meaning I wanted. To misspell the word emphasized my point that having knowledge is, in fact, not as important as being resourceful. Also, when I make a mistake through ignorance that ploy gives me a degree of deniability that I routinely need.

“Now I will test you Wordsmith. Write down the full definition of the word ‘several.’ Then Google it and learn that many of us don’t fully understand some of the words we use every day.f”

Link: http://mysteriouswritings.com/questi...-of-the-chase/

Comment

Forrest said there was a word in the poem that would help more than others and I think that's what he meant when he said "a word that is key" . An example might be a word such as 'old' it being a part of 'old faithful' or 'secret' being part of 'secret valley'. If there was a key that unlocked the poem those searchers who solved the first two clues must of lost the key.
            ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Presque vu View Post
              Forrest said there was a word in the poem that would help more than others and I think that's what he meant when he said "a word that is key" . An example might be a word such as 'old' it being a part of 'old faithful' or 'secret' being part of 'secret valley'. If there was a key that unlocked the poem those searchers who solved the first two clues must of lost the key.
              Or “halt”.

Comment

Poem

Comment

Originally posted by Yellerstain View Post

Or “halt”.
                  I think Forrest said a little part of something is better than nothing at all.
                  ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Forrest wasn't that cavalier with capitalization. As always, part of my opinion.
                    Capitalization ISN'T the clue !

Comment

Originally posted by Star Shadow View Post
                      'Yes, this means using a dictionary -- "

And perhaps a Navajo translator for verification.
                      Navajo translator???? I haven't seen a single word of Navajo around here in quite some time.
                      Where is it?

Comment

It is utterly amazing how Fenn can come right out and tell you guys what the Key word is and you completely ignore it. Why do you prefer to play a wild guessing game instead of following the path Fenn laid out? Page 131 of TTOTC is the ONLY place that a word is called the key. What you should be focusing on is how this word is used and and what do you do with it to find the next step? How can you expect to solve the subtle clues and hints when you won't even listen the ones hitting you on top of the head?

Maybe really large letters will help.....

"Indecision is the key"
                        Last edited by pws111; 06-10-2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by larsonist View Post
                          Forrest gave us a little phrase to mull over in our efforts to decipher the poem and make the major breakthroughs in locating the chest. That phrase is 'a word that is key.'

He kept throwing it out there even though it wasn't in the poem. Nor was it defined anywhere else as far as I can tell. Yet it showed up often enough to make us squirm with frustration. Five words that were a tantalizing little hint, maddening in their simplicity.

A short definition of key:: 'of paramount or crucial importance.'
                          ***Paramount: more important than anything else; supreme.
                          ***Crucial: decisive or critical, especially in the success or failure of something.
                          That pretty much illustrates the importance of the key word in Fenn's mind.
                          The word 'key' has many more more meanings that you listed above. One of the many meanings is:
                          - a group of notes based on a particular note and comprising a scale, regarded as forming the tonal basis of a piece or passage of music, e.g. "the key of E minor"
                          -the tone or pitch of someone's voice, e.g. "his voice had changed to a lower key"
                          IMO, the poem has few words that are 'keys' (do, me so, and F), but the most important one is the key/note 'so'.

Comment

After growing one year older and stepping back and clearing my brain....I think the word that was key was star. I believe Jack looked up to a star. So you were the word that was key. Forrest knew that someone would find the treasure but his goal was to impact many. Dancing with the stars. We were the stars and that might just be the word that was key. Tarry scant....blaze....starry cant? I don’t know....but Jack said he looked up and it was damaged. The blaze was probably the word that was key and the blaze was a star. We were the stars that were going out of our comfort zone and we were key to making the hunt a success. Even more than Forrest.

Saying he didn’t remember the word that was key may have been a jab at Jack. He wasn’t the star. I’m not ripping on Jack. I think he did find it but the circumstances may have been different than what Forrest envisioned.

Good to see you here Larsonist. But the damn thing was found in WYOMING!!!

Forrest did something at the end to create the blaze that was not manmade. So what did he do? Grow a tree perhaps? He created the scene but nature did the rest. Could he have affixed a star to that tree? I don’t know. Jack knew what to look for and what to look for had to be in the poem.
                            Last edited by Copper; 06-11-2021, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pws111 View Post
                              It is utterly amazing how Fenn can come right out and tell you guys what the Key word is and you completely ignore it. Why do you prefer to play a wild guessing game instead of following the path Fenn laid out? Page 131 of TTOTC is the ONLY place that a word is called the key. What you should be focusing on is how this word is used and and what do you do with it to find the next step? How can you expect to solve the subtle clues and hints when you won't even listen the ones hitting you on top of the head?

Maybe really large letters will help.....

"Indecision is the key"
                              Maybe, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by larsonist View Post
                                Forrest gave us a little phrase to mull over in our efforts to decipher the poem and make the major breakthroughs in locating the chest. That phrase is 'a word that is key.'

He kept throwing it out there even though it wasn't in the poem. Nor was it defined anywhere else as far as I can tell. Yet it showed up often enough to make us squirm with frustration. Five words that were a tantalizing little hint, maddening in their simplicity.

A short definition of key:: 'of paramount or crucial importance.'
                                ***Paramount: more important than anything else; supreme.
                                ***Crucial: decisive or critical, especially in the success or failure of something.
                                That pretty much illustrates the importance of the key word in Fenn's mind.

So apparently we're dead in the water without the word that is key.

My conclusion after much on-the-ground experience was this: the word that is key is Colorado.

Hooray! Colorado wins again! So, apparently going to Colorado is Paramount and Crucial to our success. None of the other three states, nor any other state at all, was as important as Colorado.

Colorado is not key because the treasure was hidden there--it wasn't. Colorado is key because even though the treasure was hidden in New Mexico you had to first travel to Colorado in order to access the treasure location in New Mexico. In one sense the treasure is in a very isolated place yet you can walk there without a lot of effort. Walk, not drive.

On a national map New Mexico appears to be south of, or below, Colorado (the home of Brown.)

In the poem Forrest says "put in below the home of Brown." This means find a point in Colorado near the CO/NM border where you can walk across--or below--the state line to the treasure location in New Mexico.
                                Please explain why Colorado is the home of Brown, okay? Thanks in advance.
                                Last edited by Old Pilot; 06-11-2021, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X