"Within a few steps"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGoldHunter View Post

It looks like a black Pacman- a black pie with one piece missing. My theory is it is painted on top of a rock with tar- tarry.
    Thank you. IF that's the blaze, it could be durable . . . but would seem to be relatively small.
    Last edited by Old Pilot; 06-10-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Hi OP. According to Google Earth, it's about 4 feet across.

Comment

It looks like a black Pacman- a black pie with one piece missing. My theory is it is painted on top of a rock with tar- tarry.
        You are "not far" off, Gold Hunter.

Comment

I don’t want to go “guns blazing” toward full personification, but after seeing the Pac-Man up there I was reminded of an old favorite, Shel. Maybe in some corner of spacetime Forrest was the Big O and the Blaze was a missing piece that needed some shaping. I dunno.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2015/0...l-silverstein/

Comment

Numbers do not change. GPS vectors remain static. Depending on which type of GPS coordinate used determines the precision. Degrees, feet, & inches vs 6+ decimal points. A string of numbers.

Comment

Fenn spent most of his life with his art gallery. His drawings have clues. Look very closely at the dachshund. Magnify it greatly. On the collar is an Omega. Dangling from that are 2 boots or waders. There is a fly fisherman on a river. South of a boot shaped lake.
              A blaze is a particular identifying mark on the face of a horse, one that covers most of the face. Close to a rectangle. A white rectangle. Like the dachshund's ear w/ the feather poking out and an Indian blanket on his back.
              GPS of fish hatchery (red dot) as per Wikipedia page codes out to Y X X Y or reads: to X between 2 Ys. Wiki wizard has interesting profile.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dsp1415926535 View Post
                Numbers do not change. GPS vectors remain static. Depending on which type of GPS coordinate used determines the precision. Degrees, feet, & inches vs 6+ decimal points. A string of numbers.
                Interesting handle . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
                  If Forrest truly believed that a good solve of the poem would lead someone to a place within a few steps of the chest, this suggests that the poem was very precise in its directions. And since the possible search areas fill 4 of the United States (less buildings, other structures, outhouses, graveyards, and dangerous places), I strongly believe that some "landmarks" are important in solving the poem. And at least one of them would be fairly small.

Since a very large lake such as Yellowstone Lake may be thought to "stand out", it may be thought of as being a significant landmark. But it's also huge, so in and of itself, doesn't indicate a small area or narrow search path to follow, BOTG. Please note that I'm not suggesting that this particular lake is part of a good solve. I just couldn't as quickly think of the name of any other large item to mention -- as a potential landmark -- in the 4 search states.

I believe that no man-made landmarks are used, as the poem is supposed to be able to work for hundreds (if not thousands) of years. I even think that the phrase "within a few steps" was very carefully chosen, so it would act as a hint. Good luck, all.
                  Old Pilot - You take steps with your feet/shoes. A dead ringer horseshoe is worth several points. It doesn't get more geographic, long lasting or precise than this. This benchmark is the easement marker for the highway and also sits in the middle between Yellowstone National Park and Gallatin National Forrest/Gallatin Canyon.

I like how you are carrying on the tradition of wishing folks good luck. Forrest did that because of the lucky horseshoe/U. But U already knew that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_203311.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	303025

There was one clue that was not around when Forrest was a kid. It was created in 1977. There is still debate to this day as to whether to keep it designated a wilderness study area. If it is removed the map will change and that associated physical change will make it much harder to follow the poem. All the other clues are more likely to remain in their present form for a long, long time.

Comment

My opinion is...the poem makes two lines cross. Two lines crossing is precise. Especially when you look at where the lines cross and see a pie-shaped blaze at that location.
                    JD Salinger, author of Catcher in the Rye, fav movie was "39 Steps" 39
                    Omega is sign for Libra which translates to Pound or 16 oz
                    Turquoise cuff has 22 doughnut-shaped stones 22 & OOOs
                    Fenn repeated Pie, broken pie, cow pies Pi = 3.1415926535
                    Fenn had collection of tall moccasins--like boots or alpha Boötis (Arcturus) in constellation Boötes
                    Steps away from helipad adjacent to runway is satellite image of a boot. The opening of the image is this GPS coordinate: 39. 214016, -106.314159

But, if you want an actual pie-shaped ending, an updated satellite pic Fenn gives exact instructions. See attached pic. Note Omega is upside down. Washington face is found in forest fen in NW corner of San Isabel National Forest that barely touches the fen -- a triangle of 2 borders & a high voltage powerline -- in Iowa Gulch, Lake County near green frog w/ crooked knee.
                    3rd & Washington msg: "fen bel." "I R ↑ i i I I" & large Ω Fenn gives exact spot. This image is different now from 3 yrs ago which had Frosty at tree base & a rising Phoenix above. [hint: fen bel is the mouth of the white sitting cat, licking his lips of milk, specifically, the clapper of the bell--it looks like leg of dead white frog until zoom in]
                    2nd line is I Rise 2020 (4 x ltr I or 4-eyes meaning Glasses) on 7th Sep or as Fenn literally spelled out on pg 15 TTOTC: seventy-nine
                    Bell (spelled just like my previously decoded msg found near SR71 Blackbird spy plane hint: " Begin Race. See Ace and Bel ) " & Glasses / 4-eyes (name calling)
                    Holly, born in Lubbock, 7th Sep, died in a Beech Bonanza (like Fenn's) plane crash in Iowa
                    Glasses, the iconic horn-rimmed ones, tie to Buddy Holly, b. 7th Sep & Holly's #1 hit song -- That'll Be the Day (that I die) -- and Fenn did. 2020
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
                      If Forrest truly believed that a good solve of the poem would lead someone to a place within a few steps of the chest, this suggests that the poem was very precise in its directions. And since the possible search areas fill 4 of the United States (less buildings, other structures, outhouses, graveyards, and dangerous places), I strongly believe that some "landmarks" are important in solving the poem. And at least one of them would be fairly small.

I believe that no man-made landmarks are used.......
                      I also believe that no man-made landmarks are required to get withing few steps of the chest, but I also believe that Forrest left a trail of markings (call it a trail blaze) that aided Jack with finding the chest. When Jack is talking about the damaged blaze, he's talking about the final mark left by Forrest where the chest was hidden.
                      The blaze from the 4th stanza is a natural mark that's impossible to damage without some powerfull tools. Forrest said that it will be more difficult to find the chest in 100 years, I think the reason for this is that the marking he left would be gone by then. He was surprised to hear from Jack that the final mark was already damaged in a 10 year span.

As far as how Forrest managed to encode the 'few steps ' precision, look no further than the chapter 'My war for me' in TTOTC. 'Made first pass 250 deg into the sun....... Then headed 030 deg for bailout.... also note that this story was repeated few times in his Scrapbooks and in Forrest gets mail. IMO This is the only clue in TTOTC.
                      Having a precise direction decoded from the poem, the only other thing you have to get to the chest within few steps, is a unit that doesn't depend on Earth's terrain features and of course the number of these units.

Comment

Working...
                      X