Poem says it can't be the Firehole River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poem says it can't be the Firehole River

For the Firehole River team. You are on the wrong river.
    The poem says "Your effort will be worth the cold"
    Jack also says:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=296514.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	298088
    Now check out this video of these people bathing at Madison Junction the terminal of the Firehole.

"It feels like it as at LEAST 80 degrees."
    And this is the end of the Firehole. It is warmer further up closer to the thermal sources.

Is 80 degrees cold? How are you going to get cold in your solve?

If its hot in there, were they cold after making the effort to get out?

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post
      Jack also says:

Now check out this video of these people bathing at Madison Junction the terminal of the Firehole.

And this is the end of the Firehole. It is warmer further up closer to the thermal sources.

I mean. It doesn’t take much to assume if you’re crossing that river/ and then walking in wet clothes... any kind of breeze is gonna feel cold.

Comment

Originally posted by searcher2342 View Post

I mean. It doesn’t take much to assume if you’re crossing that river/ and then walking in wet clothes... any kind of breeze is gonna feel cold.
        What if you wore waders?

Comment

Normal human body temperature is about 98.6 F. Your body will transfer heat to anything colder than this temperature. Since water is a much better conductor of heat than air the heat transfer will take place much faster. That’s why 80 degree water feels so much colder than 80 degree air. Forrest hinted at this on p 111 of TTOTC: “They couldn’t understand why it was cold to the touch when it was in a warm room. Rather than tell them that the bronze felt cold to the touch because their hands were warm, I asked them to consult their parents and write me a letter with the answer”.

Comment

What if you wore waders?
            Did you ask jack if he wore waders?

I assume he didn’t. Thus he was cold after exiting the water, no matter what the temperature was.

Comment

My bet is that "the cold" and "the wood" are one and the same.

Comment

Jack also says:

i would suggest there are very few things in yellowstone that make you wet and cold.
                1. mountain streams/rivers/creeks.
                2. glacier snow/ water
                3. mountain fed body of water lake/pond/marsh.
                4. waterfall?
                5. the ice machine at madison camp ground.
                6. pocket full of ice cream bars.

that being said, great point. down with firehole. just kidding firehole is an option. however,
                is there any cold streams that flow into the firehole that are not created by a thermal springs?
                that could be the cold and wet.
                like a reverse ojo caliente (sp?). not hot spring into cold river but cold river into hot spring.

Comment

Fenn's reference to TRAPPERS like Oswald Russert combined with his giving up BIG GAME hunting all spealls out FUR, not to mention FURBRAVE and ITW.

so if fenn gave up cat pelts, BEAVER must be out as in HoB Nob creek, even taxi-dermy, and so is FUR, authentic cat fur, at least.

this leaves us with Cold but without Fur.
                  The only resourceful answer a business man could fashion is meta-fur, aka. none in the mink, cause fake fir don't stink. Fur traders had a hella time scrubbin the smell out.

Hole thing is a meta-fur.

For what, who knows?!

How do you knpw which of 2 women walking down the a sidewalk wears a Needless Markups authentic mink coat?

The one who ... well, just sniff 'em both, then we'll talk. K?

Comment

Stand downwind of a geyser in a windy location. Freezing!

Comment

Originally posted by Lady V View Post
                      Stand downwind of a geyser in a windy location. Freezing!
                      I believe you but does the poem predict the direction of the wind?

Comment

How about the wet bulb temperature?

Comment

There are at least a couple of places up there where the wind is constantly blowing—Fountain Flats, Madison are 2. A thermal feature emitting a bunch of steam can get you wet, even without wind. (Speaking from dampened experience!)

The thing about the Firehole that haunts me is the difference between the 2 versions of FF’s Flywater piece (TTOTC and earlier newspaper version).

Comment

Originally posted by Lady V View Post

There are at least a couple of places up there where the wind is constantly blowing—Fountain Flats, Madison are 2. A thermal feature emitting a bunch of steam can get you wet, even without wind. (Speaking from dampened experience!)

The thing about the Firehole that haunts me is the difference between the 2 versions of FF’s Flywater piece (TTOTC and earlier newspaper version).
                            And he added river bathing is best.
                            And the Spanish teacher.
                            And the comfortable statement.
                            And the God underestimated his ability when he created the Firehole.

It's not that great of a place to fish though. The water is too warm for the fish. During the summer I think they don't even allow people to fish it

Right now I'm looking at solves with Gibbon, Firehole, and Madison river. I think it has to be one of those three. If not I will be totally surprised.

Comment

Surprise endings are always the best!

Comment

Working...
                              X