X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grace View Post

Wanna come with us?
    G
    I think I'm too old (not 105 tho') & I'm just a little afraid (also in the UK !)

Comment

Originally posted by Blazingwaddles View Post
      It seems to me you are trying hard to fit an untidy solve unto the clues and thus all too willing to twist a very straightforward thing like a simple creek into just about anything, say a creek of tears flowing down the cheek. After all, Forrest did have deep canyons in his hands after washing dishes.
      Good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Grace View Post

Tina??? KPRO I like you,......but you need a dose of some imagination . Take Forrest for instance..
        You do know he was afraid of Spooks in the dark, don't you?
        Santa Fe is a spooky place. Just ask Valorie....

Forrest was quite the actor. To this day, many close friends and family think of him as a country bumpkin...
        EH TOO KPRO BRUTE? Lets see any country bumpkin out there bring in ten million in sales in one month...in any business legal or not..

But, as a matter of his conscience ( as a result of actions of his former employer), he sought the comfort only I can give.
        It wasn't a salacious affair at all. In fact on more than one occasion, he quietly introduced me to his family. They also seemed pleased to make my acquaintance.

KPRO...Ashley and I just wanted to offer the same to Old Pilot too. (I do wish he would accept my offer) Billy will have to do if Old Pilot doesn't want it.
        Why KPRO....I know you want it too...(Mike probably would prefer to watch, but I'll give it to him too!) and best of all it's no charge!

Now I suggest you review my offer to Old Pilot once again. Ashley and I want to give it to him real bad. I know he wants it.....All he has to do is ask for it and we will lay it on him.

Talk about seeing a "canopy of stars" why heck I'll bet he is talking to them stars after were finished with him....but he has to ask us for it first!

Billy; If KPRO Bans us, meet Ashley coming from Phoenix on Southwest and I will catch up. Another girlfriend of mine wants to meet you Sherif and I have to meet her plane. She's mind blowing beautiful too and I'm jealous of that everyone who sees her is taken back by what they see in her, and it never lasts but a few minutes. I don't get it. I could go on forever. If I were mere mortal like you....I would prefer me ...instead of gaucking at a some colored light that they named a dish soap after . Maybe they could name some paper towels after me...... Those turkeys..

See you sooner than you realize....just ask; and name the time and the place!!!
        G
        I dont mind you meeting up with people, but would prefer you be more private about asking strangers to meet you and your girlfriends. I don’t want this to be a place where, when something happens (meeting strangers which started here by a request), THOR becomes involved.

I am glad to hear you don’t charge...

And glad to hear you THINK Forrest only got comfort with what you “gave” him.

Enough of this for me, here in Vegas, there is plenty of this kind of talk on the street corners after dark. Not my cup of tea,.
        “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

Grace My Goodness, I just looked up your other alias, I would have never guessed. Shenanigans by everyone these days. Whatever.
          “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

Originally posted by kpro View Post
            Grace My Goodness, I just looked up your other alias, I would have never guessed. Shenanigans by everyone these days. Whatever.
            I think I know you won't give detail, but my guess for one of the aliases is OP --if so that's funny !
            (If not OP, it's the 'good 'ole' CU again, doh !!)

Comment

Originally posted by kpro View Post

I dont mind you meeting up with people, but would prefer you be more private about asking strangers to meet you and your girlfriends. I don’t want this to be a place where, when something happens (meeting strangers which started here by a request), THOR becomes involved.

I am glad to hear you don’t charge...

And glad to hear you THINK Forrest only got comfort with what you “gave” him.

Enough of this for me, here in Vegas, there is plenty of this kind of talk on the street corners after dark. Not my cup of tea,.
              Well...I'm looking forward to the surprise they're going to give me. If I don't come back, I bet I die with a grin on my face!
              1f Billy

Comment

Simply amazing....

Comment

SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

You make some good points. I think there’s a lot to support the Gibbon. It was one of Forrest’s favorite fishing streams.

Did you consider the creek that comes into the Gibbon at Gibbon Meadows? It originates from a small lake a couple miles up. Water high could be the lake. Neither the creek nor the lake appear to have names. Maybe Forrest waded across the Gibbon near Gibbon Meadows. The obvious hoB is Chocolate Pots, but I’m sure more than a few people thought of that. The 500-footers could have been people walking along the Gibbon on the east side. The 200-footers could have been a few people who crossed the Gibbon and hiked up the creek without going into the forest.

You are correct about Firehole Canyon being devoid of creeks. But what about Madison Canyon? I'm not sure where Madison Canyon starts. The creek from Harlequin Lake empties into the Madison a couple miles downriver from Madison Junction.
                    Yes I considered the small creeks in Gibbon Meadows below Chocolate Pots. The first creek has heavy loads and water high quite a bit before the lake, see 44°42'27"N 110°45'24"W. This appears perfect: logjams partially damming and forming pools along the creek. I have little doubt these pools are deeper than the creek itself. IMO there is simply no better interpretation for these clues.

My problem is that (a) there is no actual canyon upstream of Chocolate Pots (it starts below Gibbon Meadows) and (b) the creek is still a substantial ways down from this potential HOB (about half a mile). These are fatal problems in my opinion.

Madison Canyon isn't a typical canyon as the topography is less the result of erosion by the river as it is a geological formation along the caldera rim. There are 3, maybe 4, creeks that run year-round into the Madison in YNP, none of them named. Though maps show a creek flowing from Harlequin Lake into the Madison, it appears to be vestigial.

The permanently "running" creeks are all across the Madison from the road and thus can only be reached by fording the river or else a very long go-around.

Meanwhile, I like neither something like Gneiss Creek Trail (which doesn't actually encounter any creeks for quite a ways) nor Harlequin Lake because they are both popular hiking paths. We are told to put in -- which I believe is "in" wilderness not water -- and from there it's no place for the meek. So it's a fairly strong possibility that you don't walk on a trail at all after getting out of the car. That said, at least you wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb if you went up Gneiss Creek Trail with a backpack since that's a pretty long hike. Not too many other spots along the Madison River could you heft any sort of pack with 20 pounds much less 40 and not get noticed. This of course is a problem in general with many solves especially those in a location like YNP. I do think the distance between where you park the car and where you pretty much disappear from the view of passersby needs to be pretty short, no more than a few hundred feet at most.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady V View Post

Interesting ideas and info about Iron Springs being set back from the water. Boulders can surely roll, particularly with the quakes occurring around there constantly, and they also crack. Bits of water can get in there and through freeze and thaw, split.

I saw a circle enclosing an ‘N’ with an arrow pointing N near Sheepeater Cliff. It looked like it was written on a boulder with a black Sharpie, down low. I keep think of TTOTC Skippy holding a rock, and the RIP to his left written/carved on the rock.

Also, boulder = bolder... NPFTM.

I've heard Secret Valley has many thin waterfalls, and lots of fen/marshland. I think that clearing is really odd, too. If you go on GE and click on the pic at Iron Springs, that rock in the water looks like a cow or bison to me. It’s not hard to make out, either.
                      If a boulder, it might have been marked on the top or could have had a certain shape that could only be "read" from a vantage point above it. Thus "wise" and also doesn't face any cardinal direction.

I don't think the hiding location would all the way up at Secret Valley proper, that appears to be a very arduous 1+ mile hike. Not because of elevation gain (that's actually very minor) but rather the meandering creek, vegetation and ample deadfall. I would want to assess the first spot where the creek forms a pool, possibly just a few hundred feet up from where it flows into the Gibbon River.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ007 View Post

I checked out the Hebgen/Quake Lake area and as far as I can tell, most of the area is covered in Engelmann spruce (ie short needles), with a few isolated lodgepole pines. So I suppose that since all the needles in the find photo were relatively long (ie around 1 1/2 inches), I don't think the TC was hidden in that region, since you would think that even under some of the few lodgepole pines there, shorter spruce needles would find there way to the ground and mix in. Plenty of lodgepole along road north of W Yellowstone, but few heading west to and past Hebgen, as far as I could tell. Thoughts?
                        I don't think it is in that area since that is Montana and we were told Wyoming. Quake Lake was Shannon's (Odious Soul on YouTube) search area but what's relevant is her WWWH was Madison Junction. That is possibly why Jack may have told her that his first BoTG was (in the area of) Madison Junction .. he probably didn't feel like he revealed anything which of course turned out to be wrong in retrospect. The reason he might have done it is because he was trying to figure out if possible to determine "why" Forrest wanted to die at one particular special spot ... but Forrest had apparently told Shannon that he would take that info to the grave. Note Jack mentioned (in his first Medium article) that Forrest took the meaning of the double omega to the grave as well ...

Comment

Originally posted by UNtitleD Brave View Post

I think I know you won't give detail, but my guess for one of the aliases is OP --if so that's funny !
                          (If not OP, it's the 'good 'ole' CU again, doh !!)
                          I don't use any other aliases on this forum. But if I did, I might choose to use "moonraker". Cheers.
                          Last edited by Old Pilot; 06-16-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

You only quoted the second half of my statement, which removes some relevant context. Here it is, in full:

In other words, the implication of my takeaway is that "your creek" could be almost any channel of flowing water.

Naturally, if your takeaway of the video is different from mine, then the implication on your interpretation of the poem will also be different.
                            I think that the phrase "your creek" should be taken with a small grain of salt. But I still think Forrest means a real creek.

Comment

Originally posted by Fennder Bender View Post

a gift for the gibbon creek solves.

the blaze?
                              found this on GE.
                              this is so fun.
                              the search continues.
                              Wolf lake.
                              just for fun. could be a little remote.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/...vAIS6Bs1ZKvVvA
                              If you think the blaze is Wolf lake, I don't know why. It doesn't seem to "stand out". Please explain how it qualifies, if you think it does. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ007 View Post
                                The primary problem I have with a Yellowstone solve is that there are so many people looking and observing all the time. Tourists are looking for wildlife of course, or interesting geologic features, but their eyes are focused into the woods. So for somebody to hike off trail a ways, like even up to half a mile, there is a very good chance someone will notice. Plus rangers might wonder "What's that guy doing there?", and be on alert. Or they might see a parked car, and follow in to make sure the person is not pilfering artifacts, rocks, antlers or whatnot.
                                I would agree that most YNP solves are not viable simply because too much of the path you take from the car to the hiding spot is out in the open, visible to passersby. You would need to disappear from view quite soon after getting out of the car and from there it needs to be a low probability of a random encounter.

That said, YNP is a large place and there are many spots that don't have a lot of people. Rangers are busy enough, they are unlikely to spend time searching for the occupants of a car that isn't illegally parked. That said, parking in the same place day after day, all day long, could possibly draw the attention of a park ranger.

It does say "bold" and "brave" in the poem not to mention "tarry scant" and "go in peace", so we can't assume the hiding place is so remote that your chance of being noticed is very low. Instead it sounds like there could indeed be an element of being surreptitious and careful. That could fit with some areas of YNP, the only way you'd know is spending some time at possible locations. When I did a recon in YNP, this was one of the primary things I was looking for .... how visible is the possible path, how likely are you to be noticed, can you somehow blend in while lugging around a heavy pack? Most spots in YNP are eliminated easily via such an assessment.

Comment

Working...
                                X