Small Streams Like the Gibbon -- The Gibbon River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Streams Like the Gibbon -- The Gibbon River

There'll be no paddle up your creek. Can your creek be a river? Similarly, can a river be a stream?

Put aside what you think. Look for evidence of what Forrest thinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkQXwszk_Yc&t=89s

"For me, catching a big fish was okay once in a while, but I like the small streams like the Gibbon -- the Gibbon River."

Just sharing as a reminder to prioritize evidence of Forrest's thoughts over your own thoughts, or what you might find in a dictionary.

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post
    There'll be no paddle up your creek. Can your creek be a river? Similarly, can a river be a stream?

"For me, catching a big fish was okay once in a while, but I like the small streams like the Gibbon -- the Gibbon River."

Just sharing as a reminder to prioritize evidence of Forrest's thoughts over your own thoughts, or what you might find in a dictionary.
    Yep!

I was looking for Secret Creek a couple of days ago, which flows into the Gibbon, and found a spot to see its mouth from the road. Quite a romantic spot, there. Someone had left what looked like a rolled-up sail there w quite deteriorated cord around it.

Iron Springs is just N of there, but you can’t see it unless you get down to the creek. Iron = brown oxide pigment. I think I said that before. Every time I read ‘brown’ regarding the chase, I always think of Eric Sloane. I believe Dal searched Secret Creek and valley at one time.

Also, there’s a large rock on a hill overlooking Secret creek mouth that looks like a beaver....where you would turn and walk up the creek into the valley. I took pics and will post tomorrow, when I get home!

Comment

Originally posted by Lady V View Post

Yep!

I was looking for Secret Creek a couple of days ago, which flows into the Gibbon, and found a spot to see its mouth from the road. Quite a romantic spot, there. Someone had left what looked like a rolled-up sail there w quite deteriorated cord around it.

Iron Springs is just N of there, but you can’t see it unless you get down to the creek. Iron = brown oxide pigment. I think I said that before. Every time I read ‘brown’ regarding the chase, I always think of Eric Sloane. I believe Dal searched Secret Creek and valley at one time.

Also, there’s a large rock on a hill overlooking Secret creek mouth that looks like a beaver....where you would turn and walk up the creek into the valley. I took pics and will post tomorrow, when I get home!
      Did you get muddy and wet walking on the far side of the Gibbon? As I've posted a while ago now, Secret Valley and this creek are probably the most likely chest location inside YNP at this point. Lines up with Jack telling Shannon his first BOTG was Madison Junction (her WWWH, and she probably thinks the 10 mile rectangle radius is to the West down the Madison, but Jack could have actually gone a bit East up the Gibbon). Also ties into Dal drove within 300 feet as this spot involve BOTH a tributary of the Madison and a bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazingwaddles View Post

Did you get muddy and wet walking on the far side of the Gibbon? As I've posted a while ago now, Secret Valley and this creek are probably the most likely chest location inside YNP at this point. Lines up with Jack telling Shannon his first BOTG was Madison Junction (her WWWH, and she probably thinks the 10 mile rectangle radius is to the West down the Madison, but Jack could have actually gone a bit East up the Gibbon). Also ties into Dal drove within 300 feet as this spot involve BOTH a tributary of the Madison and a bridge.
        Did Shannon say Jack said Madison Junction? Or did someone figure out that was where he was searching another way?

Comment

Originally posted by Hybridpi View Post

Did Shannon say Jack said Madison Junction? Or did someone figure out that was where he was searching another way?
          We don't know exactly what Jack told Shannon, But Madison Junction is one of the likely possibilities.
          Rudy Green[e]
          whereis.thehomeofBrown.com

Comment

I think you first mentioned Secret Valley Creek a couple months ago. Even back then I thought it looked interesting. I also think you mentioned Iron Springs as a possibility for hoB. That seems like a reasonable choice, however probably more than a few searchers emailed that idea to Forrest. I don't think Jack told Shannon that his first BOTG was Madison Junction, but that is a possibility. I'm going to ignore what Forrest said about Dal driving within 300 feet since, like Jack said, I think Forrest was just messing with him. Like you said, the big question is if you'd get wet walking up Secret Valley Creek.

Comment

Originally posted by thehomeofBrown.com View Post

We don't know exactly what Jack told Shannon, But Madison Junction is one of the likely possibilities.
              True but the logic for Madison Jct is much better than any other possibility:

(1) Shannon's WWWH was Madison Jct and her search area was Quake Lake. So it makes sense that is why Jack may have been okay with revealing Madison Jct to her as the focus of his first BOTG especially since he was asking her for some private information in that same email.

(2) She didn't know for sure based on the location Jack mentioned to her whether his search area had been inside or outside of the park. So it must have been near enough to the border.

(3) She thinks the chest was found within 10 mile radius of that first spot Jack had mentioned, and she indicated a rectangular area.

(4) The Madison River flows west of the junction for about 10 miles before reaching the border of the park, and this covers more or less a rectangular area.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

I think you first mentioned Secret Valley Creek a couple months ago. Even back then I thought it looked interesting. I also think you mentioned Iron Springs as a possibility for hoB. That seems like a reasonable choice, however probably more than a few searchers emailed that idea to Forrest. I don't think Jack told Shannon that his first BOTG was Madison Junction, but that is a possibility. I'm going to ignore what Forrest said about Dal driving within 300 feet since, like Jack said, I think Forrest was just messing with him. Like you said, the big question is if you'd get wet walking up Secret Valley Creek.
                I can't think of a different location Jack would have told Shannon that makes sense. Of course there are other possibilities but they all seem to raise questions and inconsistencies instead of filling in the blanks.

If we consider the clue to be "below the home of Brown" pointing to a specific spot, then home of Brown might not just be Iron Spring but the entire acid sulfate thermal system along the northern crater rim (traced by the Gibbon River) that also includes Chocolate Pots and Artists Paintpots. I would point out that a "home" consisting of just one geyser or spring would not make the clue specific enough, there'd be several viable choices pointing to different locations. Thus if Iron Spring by itself were HOB then the clue should have probably stated "put in below the last home of Brown."

That said, I'm not entirely happy with Secret Valley, it still has plenty of problems. For sure a BOTG would be needed not only to see if you have to get wet going up the creek, but that the water gets pretty deep in spots. On GE you can see lots of deadfall (possible heavy loads) as well as pools (or at least where the creek widens beyond a rivulet), so that's a positive sign.

If we completely ignore the "drove within 300 feet" statement then why not ignore just about everything else that Forrest has said besides what is written in TTOTC and the poem? Instead of ignoring, I suggest looking for *how* it might still be true technically without it actually being a hint.

I'd treat the 200/500 foot comments the same way. Based on what Jack has stated it is unlikely for there to be a human trail within 500 feet of the treasure, much less a road.. So how do lots of people pass within 500 feet? It possibly isn't in the manner we might be thinking (walking along a path or driving on a road that is located within 500 feet lateral distance of the treasure chest).

The 200 foot is much easier since that most likely does mean searchers who had actually traveled up the correct Creek'. Jack could have thusly limited his search area to within 200 feet of the creekbed itself. We know several searchers went at least part of the way up Secret Valley Creek early in the chase, and very possibly more than one of them told Forresf about it.

Comment

I can't think of a different location Jack would have told Shannon that makes sense. Of course there are other possibilities but they all seem to raise questions and inconsistencies instead of filling in the blanks.

If we consider the clue to be "below the home of Brown" pointing to a specific spot, then home of Brown might not just be Iron Spring but the entire acid sulfate thermal system along the northern crater rim (traced by the Gibbon River) that also includes Chocolate Pots and Artists Paintpots. I would point out that a "home" consisting of just one geyser or spring would not make the clue specific enough, there'd be several viable choices pointing to different locations. Thus if Iron Spring by itself were HOB then the clue should have probably stated "put in below the last home of Brown."

That said, I'm not entirely happy with Secret Valley, it still has plenty of problems. For sure a BOTG would be needed not only to see if you have to get wet going up the creek, but that the water gets pretty deep in spots. On GE you can see lots of deadfall (possible heavy loads) as well as pools (or at least where the creek widens beyond a rivulet), so that's a positive sign.

If we completely ignore the "drove within 300 feet" statement then why not ignore just about everything else that Forrest has said besides what is written in TTOTC and the poem? Instead of ignoring, I suggest looking for *how* it might still be true technically without it actually being a hint.

I'd treat the 200/500 foot comments the same way. Based on what Jack has stated it is unlikely for there to be a human trail within 500 feet of the treasure, much less a road.. So how do lots of people pass within 500 feet? It possibly isn't in the manner we might be thinking (walking along a path or driving on a road that is located within 500 feet lateral distance of the treasure chest).

The 200 foot is much easier since that most likely does mean searchers who had actually traveled up the correct Creek'. Jack could have thusly limited his search area to within 200 feet of the creekbed itself. We know several searchers went at least part of the way up Secret Valley Creek early in the chase, and very possibly more than one of them told Forresf about it.
                  If Secret Valley Creek was the correct area, then the 500 footers could have been those people who walked up the creek. I'll bet there were more than a few. I’m not sure about heavy loads and water high. The headwater of Secret Valley Creek appears to be coming from the Purple Mountain drainage.

My biggest problem with anything along the Gibbon is WWWH. I’ve said previously that my first choice for WWWH is Madison Junction, however my second choice is probably Old Faithful. Is there anything in TTOTC that might hint at a WWWH along the Gibbon? The “kettles of brown gravy” might hint at “pots of chocolate”, but that would probably work better as hoB. What would make Norris Geyser Basin a better choice for WWWH than the Upper Geyser Basin of the Firehole? I’m not ruling out the Gibbon. I’d just like to see a good choice for WWWH. If it was along the Gibbon then maybe that's the slip-up that Jack caught.

Comment

At RG.....however my second choice is probably Old Faithful.....

Then my father sold our '36 Chevy and got a '41 Plymouth
                    instead. I couldn't understand how he could do that to such a
                    . faithful car that had been a member of the family like the rest of us.
                    How Would you like to be replaced by a newer model?

. So the 36 Chevy was "old faithful"
                    ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Presque vu View Post
                      At RG.....however my second choice is probably Old Faithful.....

Then my father sold our '36 Chevy and got a '41 Plymouth
                      instead. I couldn't understand how he could do that to such a
                      . faithful car that had been a member of the family like the rest of us.
                      How Would you like to be replaced by a newer model?

. So the 36 Chevy was "old faithful"
                      Or a Plymouth ROCK

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

If Secret Valley Creek was the correct area, then the 500 footers could have been those people who walked up the creek. I'll bet there were more than a few. I’m not sure about heavy loads and water high. The headwater of Secret Valley Creek appears to be coming from the Purple Mountain drainage.

My biggest problem with anything along the Gibbon is WWWH. I’ve said previously that my first choice for WWWH is Madison Junction, however my second choice is probably Old Faithful. Is there anything in TTOTC that might hint at a WWWH along the Gibbon? The “kettles of brown gravy” might hint at “pots of chocolate”, but that would probably work better as hoB. What would make Norris Geyser Basin a better choice for WWWH than the Upper Geyser Basin of the Firehole? I’m not ruling out the Gibbon. I’d just like to see a good choice for WWWH. If it was along the Gibbon then maybe that's the slip-up that Jack caught.
                        Yes true, 500 footers could be Secret Valley creek walkers in general and 200 footers then could be those who went this-away or that-away toward the treasure chest from the creekbed. I don't really like that answer but could technically work. One of the biggest things Secret Valley has going for it beside the name is the complete lack of any sort of human trail at all, that is somewhat unusual for such a large and relatively central area of YNP. Forrest would obviously be very drawn to that. Jack might even be correct that too.many visitors might noticeably trample the place. I have no doubt that Forrest did explore here, probably on one of his youthful outings to fish the Giibbon, which let's not forget is the kind of stream he personally liked the most (narrow and meandering through a meadow). Yet he didn't mention many specific spots on the Gibbon ... sounds like actual Secret spiots where he went alone.

Heavy load and water high again need to be from the viewpoint of Forrest and then considering "no paddle" but "just" heavy loads and water high is I think representing what a beaver would be doing to this creek, which is felling trees to create a dam and raise the water level. So, if we have a creek with no beaver activity but full of fallen trees where the water level is high as a result of partial damming, then I think that is about as strong a solve to these clues that you can possibly get, ignoring permanence issues.

And that brings us to WWWH as I think we should also look at it from the viewpoint of Forrest rathet than in isolation (e.g. strictly thermal). In other words, what kind of "warm waters" are important to him, and in what way could they be said to halt? Well there is the obvious one of Ojo Caliente but he didn't go there alone nor is it secret. And besides, everybody has the exact same experience there (the small perfectly warm spot), it is not really personal to Forrest.

And there is the rub as well about Madison Junction and even more so Old Faithful. Those are probably not warm waters to Forrest personally. I doubt we'd find evidence these places are important to him.

So what could be? Well, the Norris Geyser Basin does warm the Gibbon River and that makes it good for trout fishing in both early and late season. Here the Gibbon meanders through a couple of meadows and then the character of the stream suddenly changes to boulder strewn rapids and a waterfall as the Gibbon carves a canyon along the rim of the Yellowstone caldera. So basically the water temperature isn't changing as much as the warm (comfortable) nature of the slow lazy current halting and becoming rapid and frothy.

Yes very similar to the Firehole except less obvious and therefore possibly more Secret and personal to Forrest. Plus the potential HOBs on Gibbon are arguably better. Plus the Gibbon does have a creek once you are in the canyon down whereas Firehole Canyon proper is devoid of creeks, as is Madison Canyon.

Comment

True but the logic for Madison Jct is much better than any other possibility:

(1) Shannon's WWWH was Madison Jct and her search area was Quake Lake. So it makes sense that is why Jack may have been okay with revealing Madison Jct to her as the focus of his first BOTG especially since he was asking her for some private information in that same email.

(2) She didn't know for sure based on the location Jack mentioned to her whether his search area had been inside or outside of the park. So it must have been near enough to the border.

(3) She thinks the chest was found within 10 mile radius of that first spot Jack had mentioned, and she indicated a rectangular area.

(4) The Madison River flows west of the junction for about 10 miles before reaching the border of the park, and this covers more or less a rectangular area.
                          Another thing. She said she wasn't sure if he was searching inside or outside the park...
                          Guess what river that points to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post

Another thing. She said she wasn't sure if he was searching inside or outside the park...
                            Guess what river that points to.
                            That goes with my point. Her WWWH went from Madison Jct all the way down the Madison River past Hebgen to Quake Lake. So if Jack had mentioned Madison Jct then she would be inclined to think he was searching that way as well. But it's not obvious to me that he would have given out his own WWWH and thus it doesn't follow that the direction he searched in relation to Madison Jct had to be toward the west.

That said, Shannon must actually know at this point that the hiding location was inside YNP.
                            Last edited by Blazingwaddles; 06-01-2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

a gift for the gibbon creek solves.

the blaze?
                              found this on GE.
                              this is so fun.
                              the search continues.
                              Wolf lake.
                              just for fun. could be a little remote.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/...vAIS6Bs1ZKvVvA
                              Last edited by Fennder Bender; 06-02-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X