Random Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post
    Anyone recall the title of the thread where the dating of the chest was a central theme ?
    It's not in the DIA thread by IG, it was somewhere else.
    Anyway, the following article (which was borrowed from elsewhere) states that Forrest bought it in 1990, and that it is from the 12th century.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....fenn-treasure/
    https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Johns-U...82055422129486
    The article says:

Fenn held onto the treasure chest for about 20 years, but the cancer never came back. So sometime around 2010 (he won’t say exactly when), he put the box in his pickup truck and drove to a spot in the Rocky Mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe (he won’t say where). Then he got out of the truck and carried the treasure chest into the wilderness on foot (he won’t say how far). At some point he stopped and hid the treasure, or maybe he just left it sitting there, in plain sight. Then he drove back home.

Sometimes I wonder if he was actually driving from his house to the hiding place ... after all, with a good pickup truck it is possible to walk hundreds of miles in a day, without getting too tired.

Comment

• Perfect Solves for sale.
      90-day guarantee.
      If it doesn't work, bring it back and I will exchange it free, for one of equal or lesser value.
      " It will be discovered by someone who has read the clues successfully." ff

Comment

• Originally posted by Tur-a-neu
        Perfect solves! plural - how interesting lol
        Yea, I was being facetious.
        I've actually just one solve, and it's not for sale.

Comment

• Mom wouldn't bite a hard biscuit. (you can't really bite into a hard biscuit, you would have to gnaw at it.)
          A gut feeling is a gnawing feeling.
          If a gut feeling is wavering, then this implies gnawing doubt .
          The Price of Freedom https://dalneitzel.com/2017/04/01/passages-four/
          (that poor fellow was fighting tooth and nail to gain his freedom)

Lots of talk going around about all the mentions of teeth.
          Here's one I haven't seen mentioned anywhere in the discussions . . . " I was going to make it work no matter what."
          https://www.classicthesaurus.com/tooth_and_nail
          https://www.classicthesaurus.com/gnaw

Chew on that . . .

Comment

• Dam ! just realized the fennboree is on the 5-7 th. I want to go but my boss wont give me time off until the 12 th. Well I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that I can work something out. Mmmm matee pateee Mmmmm. That's better

Comment

• Originally posted by Tur-a-neu
              I skipped that post at Dal's. I find it disgusting to set traps to harm an animal or anyone. It is not hunting for survival but for luxuries or excess or whatever will add to the bank balance. I find people who create traps to harm rather distasteful losers but I understand that what they seek is so strong that they will gnaw and fight and harm for some self-satisfaction. Tooth and nail, gnawing and chewing on that -- with a good human, honesty would have saved one's teeth from being ground down. I wonder sometimes . . . If someone asked for something (say I have) and with upfront honesty it was asked and given . . . would the asker feel that they didn't 'earn' it? Does everything have to be tooth and nail and a fight in order for it to have worth? As for the wolf with his foot in the trap - gnawing to get it out is his only option and the losses due to others belong in the hands of God. You know, I pray for all the animals on this earth - those they must serve as nourishment for others and those senselessly killed - and I pray for all of them every day. A lot of horrors in my life are because others believe that I must be beaten and tortured for them to feel better or superior. I've been beaten and tortured a lot - in the end, I don't see the superiority of others. I admire those few who can just find a polite way to interact and am giving to help in spirit, emotion, physical, and in them achieving their goals. That is what life is for me -- an exchange of good intentions and actions and knowing that what satisfies my goals typically is enough is enough. I do not seek equality because that is competition and competition is not achievement of contentment for me anyway. But I do seek my freedom -- freedom from the 'enthusiasts' that waste time and resources hurting me to prove their superiority rather than directing it all to achieving their passions and good achievements. Like that fox, I am still standing and surviving with the losses and learning . . . how long will it take for those who threaten and cause harm to realize that they lose as well - their teeth will grind to nubs and disappear and their 'livers' will break and their bank balances and fame will wane more than anyone's gut wavers. The sage knows the truth. Chew on that my friend . . .
              Brilliant post, it sounds like you have already found the 'treasure'.
              The Hero with an F in Good - has redeeming qualities that make part of him want to be a hero out of a desire to do good or the right thing. This character almost invariably has a checkered or mysterious past, or a bad reputation.

Shiver my timbers, shiver my sails, DEAD! MEN! TELL! NO! TALES!

Comment

• Not far but too far to walk.
                The treasure is out there waiting for the person who can make all the lines cross in the right spot.
                Crossing the lines.
                The kids couldn't let go of the rope under penalty of death.
                If they 'step out of line'.
                Marvin burning a candle at both ends.
                Forrest couldn't cross the street.
                Searchers get the first couple of clues but then walk right past the rest - they've gone too far.
                Walk away https://mysteriouswritings.com/featu...unt-walk-away/
                Heavy loads - overload.
                Probably paid too much for the chest - overspend.
                Just to prove his point, Forrest always watched where he put his feet and never stepped on the cracks in the sidewalk.
                He crossed the lines, just to prove his point.

Not far but too far.
                Could this be saying we need to go too far ?
                We need to step out of line ?
                We need to cross the line ?
                Get outta line.
                Off the beaten path.

There are other instances where I've seen this but, these are the first few that come to mind.

https://www.classicthesaurus.com/step_out_of_line
                https://www.classicthesaurus.com/go_too_far/synonyms
                Last edited by ROLL TIDE; 03-28-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Not far but too far to walk.
                  The treasure is out there waiting for the person who can make all the lines cross in the right spot.
                  Crossing the lines.
                  The kids couldn't let go of the rope under penalty of death.
                  If they 'step out of line'.
                  Marvin burning a candle at both ends.
                  Forrest couldn't cross the street.
                  Searchers get the first couple of clues but then walk right past the rest - they've gone too far.
                  Walk away https://mysteriouswritings.com/featu...unt-walk-away/
                  Heavy loads - overload.
                  Probably paid too much for the chest - overspend.
                  Just to prove his point, Forrest always watched where he put his feet and never stepped on the cracks in the sidewalk.
                  He crossed the lines, just to prove his point.

Not far but too far.
                  Could this be saying we need to go too far ?
                  We need to step out of line ?
                  We need to cross the line ?
                  Get outta line.
                  Off the beaten path.

There are other instances where I've seen this but, these are the first few that come to mind.

https://www.classicthesaurus.com/step_out_of_line
                  https://www.classicthesaurus.com/go_too_far/synonyms
                  I was watching a Gary Vee video the other day and he was talking to some newly minted young 'adults' about doing what their instinct tells them, not what friends, parents, aunts/uncles do....and then he was talking about extremes - you've got the really outlandish on YouTube now and they're crushing it - but then you've got the subtle, quiet folks who are crushing it too, then you've got millions all trying to do the same thing in the middle of the extremes, they're just ordinary....and then he says something to the effect, it's safe in the middle, but that's where everyone is, get out on the edge, both extremes do well, the middle struggles to be seen, you can be subtle or you can be outlandish, just don't be ordinary.

Two extremes, in the middle; aberrations along the edge, cross the lines, intersections, etc.
                  Last edited by RahRah; 03-29-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• The bear riddle …

Dear Forrest,
                    You tell us that we should find "where warm waters halt" before trying to solve any of the other clues. Imagining that we haven't seen the rest of the poem, and all we have to go on is :
                    a. "begin it where warm waters halt" and
                    b. "somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe"

Do you think that we can confidently determine the starting place for your treasure trail ? ~ Steve

Answer :
                    No, if all you have to go on are those two clues you cannot proceed with confidence. Look at it this way. If you were making a cake and you left out a few ingredients, would you achieve your goal ?

Your question reminds me of another : You leave home and walk a straight line for a mile, turn 90 degrees left and walk a curved line for a mile and shoot a bear. Then you turn 90 degrees left again and walk a straight line back to your home. What color is the bear ? f

I think what ff was getting at with this riddle is that it can't be answered unless you know your starting point and while wwwh is the first clue, it can't be solved correctly without knowing what ingredient(s) you have to add. Look at it this way, I have said before that the bear is white because, 1. your at the north pole, or 2. your at the top of the world, only one answer would be correct from f's POV. While everyone is stuck on the color of the bear they overlook the ingredient(s) that are key in coming up with the correct solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by JChere View Post
                      The bear riddle …

Dear Forrest,
                      You tell us that we should find "where warm waters halt" before trying to solve any of the other clues. Imagining that we haven't seen the rest of the poem, and all we have to go on is :

Do you think that we can confidently determine the starting place for your treasure trail ? ~ Steve

Answer :
                      No, if all you have to go on are those two clues you cannot proceed with confidence. Look at it this way. If you were making a cake and you left out a few ingredients, would you achieve your goal ?

Your question reminds me of another : You leave home and walk a straight line for a mile, turn 90 degrees left and walk a curved line for a mile and shoot a bear. Then you turn 90 degrees left again and walk a straight line back to your home. What color is the bear ? f

I think what ff was getting at with this riddle is that it can't be answered unless you know your starting point and while wwwh is the first clue, it can't be solved correctly without knowing what ingredient(s) you have to add. Look at it this way, I have said before that the bear is white because, 1. your at the north pole, or 2. your at the top of the world, only one answer would be correct from f's POV. While everyone is stuck on the color of the bear they overlook the ingredient(s) that are key in coming up with the correct solution.
                      The "keyword" to unlock the mystery. And a working knowledge of the preamble. Both difficult to figure. Forrest did say "I am glad to know my poem says what I intended for it to say".

Comment

• Hi JChere! I think you've done an excellent job of deciphering the implications of Forrest's reply to Steve:

"I think what ff was getting at with this riddle is that it can't be answered unless you know your starting point and while wwwh is the first clue, it can't be solved correctly without knowing what ingredient(s) you have to add."

Nicely stated. WWWH cannot be solved with certainty in isolation; it is missing some information (another ingredient).
                        And notice how carefully Forrest answered:

"No, if all you have to go on are those two clues you cannot proceed with confidence." (my emphasis)

It leaves open the possibility that you actually can proceed, but without that extra ingredient or ingredients you cannot do so with confidence. Many people have been to the starting point in 9 years, but in my opinion almost none of them had the key missing information, and so they didn't know they had the correct starting point.

The trick to Forrest's version of the bear riddle is that he altered it. The original version of the riddle is solvable (the answer of course being white); Forrest's version is not because his wording allows you to start anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by JChere View Post
                          The bear riddle …

Dear Forrest,

Answer :

Reading FF's question and answer, the only conclusion I get is:

The question was poorly worked out and the answer was poorly provided, as always ...

Notice what the question was:

"Do you think that we can confidently determine the starting place for your treasure trail ?"

Now look at the answer:

"No, if all you have to go on are those two clues you cannot proceed with confidence. Look at it this way."

The question was about determine the starting place, and not about proceed with confidence.

Forrest Fenn slippery like a soapy fish.

Comment

All of the information is in the poem.
                            Imagination is more important than knowledge.
                            People don't dwell on the first clue long enough.
                            If you don't have the first clue nailed down, stay HOME and play canasta.
                            Go back to the first clue.

begin
                            beg in
                            be gin

where warm
                            +++re warm
                            rewarm

rewarm = bring back = go back
                            gin = canasta
                            ----------------------------------

I'm messing with the poem ?
                            You say tomato, I say tomahto.

Who's going to win the next Superb Owl ?

I'm perfect.
                            Not really, what I meant to say was imperfect.

Imagination.
                            is more important than
                            know no now owl led ledge ed edge.
                            k now ?
                            I'm not sure that ed gives one "an edge". *Well*, maybe if a (shall we say) "man of the cloth" has ed, this may provide his young charges with some advantage they otherwise wouldn't have.
                            Just sayin'. This is one reason to stick with the flying spaghetti monster. And while eating spaghetti, if the "man with the cloth" is a waiter bringing an extra napkin, this could be good.

Comment

• " . . . How far is the chest located from the blaze ? "
                              " . . . If you can find the blaze . . . the answer to your question will be obvious ."
                              http://mysteriouswritings.com/featur...e-measurement/
                              " I did not take the measurement . . ."
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              obvious - dead giveaway
                              https://www.classicthesaurus.com/dead_giveaway
                              unintended clue - unintended disclosure

take the measurement
                              https://www.classicthesaurus.com/take_measure

Comment

• Maybe it's time to stop creating and developing solves , and instead, deconstruct the only correct one that has ever been made public.
                                Learning to read a blueprint could prove to be helpful if one desires to construct something.

Structures are built from the ground up.

Comment

Working...
                                X