Barbarisi Has Seen and Touched The Treasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarisi Has Seen and Touched The Treasure

A new article reveals that Daniel Barbarisi has seen and touched the treasure.

"Daniel Barbarisi was in shock. After spending four years searching for a treasure chest that had allegedly been hidden in the Rocky Mountains by an enigmatic antiques dealer, he was now about to hold the storied loot in his hands.

“I took it, my fingers curling around the base, my hands closing around the raised nine-hundred year-old designs carved into the chest’s side,” writes Barbarisi in his new book, “Chasing the Thrill: Obsession, Death and Glory in America’s Most Extraordinary Treasure Hunt” (Knopf)."

The article also suggests that Barbarisi knows the contents of Fenn's autobiography, which was sealed in the glass olive jar.

"Stuef agreed to show Barbarisi the artifacts if he promised not to identify the lawyers who are keeping the treasure safe for him. Barbarisi also had to promise he would not divulge the contents of Fenn’s autobiography — different from his memoir — which was encased in a glass vial in the chest."

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/05/15/author...treasure-hunt/

EDIT: A subsequent article explained the circumstances under which Barbarisi agreed not to divulge the contents of Fenn's autobiography:

"the finder wanted to make sure I didn’t open the vial containing Fenn’s autobiography, which remained sealed, and that if I could read any of what was inside through the glass, I wouldn’t relay any of that information. I agreed to that as well."

Source: https://www.outsideonline.com/242388...barisi-excerpt
    Last edited by Vertigo; 05-17-2021, 01:35 PM.

I thought this was interesting:
    "Once he got the go-ahead from Fenn, Stuef placed the dirt-caked 42-pound bronze chest in a blue Ikea bag and stuffed it in his backpack for the short trek back to his car. "

Comment

Ah! "the storied loot" ?
      Last edited by Star Shadow; 05-15-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

What a bunch of crock!
        A good forger attempts to deceive the naked human eye.
        It's part of the challenge in the game he plays.

Deceiving science when it is done thru guidelines and in expert hands is however, practically impossible!"

Comment

Originally posted by Star Shadow View Post
          Ah! "the storied loot" ?
          Yep! That could find him in hot water one day.

Comment

Smithsonian Magazine also mentioned that Barbarisi examined the treasure. (Article dated May 3, but this was news to me)

"Though Stuef declined to share the treasure’s exact location, he did allow Barbarisi to examine the chest in person. The journalist’s description of the “electric thrill” he felt upon seeing and touching the artifacts—and the lingering disappointment experienced upon realizing that the hunt was over—provides a fitting coda to the story. Though the chest “barely covered the corner of an oblong table in a Santa Fe conference room,” per Chasing the Thrill, “this treasure mattered. It meant something. … It was Forrest Fenn’s treasure, and in that sense it wildly exceeded my expectations.”

Source: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ead-180977589/

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post
              "Once he got the go-ahead from Fenn, Stuef placed the dirt-caked 42-pound bronze chest in a blue Ikea bag and stuffed it in his backpack for the short trek back to his car. "
              Yeah I think it was short. Probably less than 100 yards into the forest across from the Madison river.

Comment

If I were Jack I'd let all searchers line up and take turns fondling my jewels...

Comment

Originally posted by OKSA
                  Isabel Vincent talks about Daniel Barbarisi who talks about Jack Stuef who found the treasure ...
                  That's a good point. There was also this:
                  "Much of the trove was still enclosed in the Ziploc bags that Forrest Fenn had used to keep the items safe from the elements when he hid his treasure in 2010, the year he was first diagnosed with terminal cancer. "
                  I wonder what else is incorrect..

Comment

That's a good point. There was also this:
                    "Much of the trove was still enclosed in the Ziploc bags that Forrest Fenn had used to keep the items safe from the elements when he hid his treasure in 2010, the year he was first diagnosed with terminal cancer. "
                    I wonder what else is incorrect..
                    What makes you think that was incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

What makes you think that was incorrect?
                      I thought he was first diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1988.

Comment

Quest-a long or arduous search for something

Trek-a long arduous journey, especially one made on foot.

I have a feeling I pinpointed WWWH I think it is in Lamar Valley.

Comment

I thought he was first diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1988.
                          Oops, my mistake. I didn't read the quote carefully enough. I thought you were questioning the Ziploc bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Quirky Killdeer
                            So Barbarisi and Steuf grew up twenty miles from each other and both are writers ???
                            And we are supposed to believe they don’t know each other !?
                            How stupid do they think we are…
                            Really..wtf
                            Stuef is from Michigan. Barbarisi's hometown is Rye Brook, New York.
                            Last edited by Vertigo; 05-15-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Barbarisi Has Seen and Touched The Treasure

Perhaps we should dust it for 4 years of fingerprints?

Comment

Working...
                              X