Coincidence or curse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coincidence or curse?

When you flip a coin, theoretically it comes up either heads or tails an equal 50% of the time...in the long run. Just how long is the long run.
    When does a strange run of bad luck, the coincidences become....terminal?
    I submit for your approval....the number: 66

Forrest said 66K links north of Santa Fe.....what does that mean? well 66 had a HUGE bearing on the solution of the Chase...in part because the fake blaze is located at exactly 6666ft above sea level....I spent just over a year of my life and valuable searching time stuck in this location at the "Mirror solve.".........I will forever be haunted by how close I came....I curse the numbers 66.

Now fast forward.....the chest is found and announced on June 6........66.... Forrest says the Chase is over. My big dream of a better life is shattered...sick to my stomach for weeks..
    Still, I try to limp thru with my dream of moving to Kentucky and working with horses. Now instead on a paupers budget. I sell my little house and pack....the wife at the last minute wants me to take one dog in the Uhaul van. I reluctantly agree....Stopping along the way FAR behind a truck stop for a "dog break"....the phone rings and my daughter is very upset.... meanwhile, our precious black lab is tied to a tree while I console my daughter over the phone......Our black lab....Knight...grows inpatient and turns and pulls backwards on the leash and gets free. I tell my daughter I have to go and get off......the dog takes off running thru the woods etc....alone and already exhausted from almost no sleep for two days...I spend HOURS looking for the dog......the rest of the family is way ahead of me.....I am alone and drive thru the countryside looking...but finally must leave. I leave my phone number with the owner of the gas station and go.
    I tell the already distraught daughter the bad news....it really was her dog....She cries and begs begs me to drive back in the middle of the night. I explain I was already falling asleep at the wheel and cant drive the 5 hours back without sleep. The gas station owner calls and says the dog is back but he cant catch it....My daughter is frantic and starts driving in the middle of the night from Missouri to get there at first light the next morning. Next morning, the phone rings and I answer to hear utter despair....she gets there at first light to find her dog dead, run over, in the middle of the road.
    Thru her sobs, I have to beg her to try to take Knight and give him the proper burial. She says she cant touch him....I told her we all loved him and I know it seems impossible but you have to or you will always regret it....The gas station owner comes and helps and they bury Knight.
    I am distraught....there is no shortage of blame thrown at me.....how could you possibly leave? you should have stayed there forever. Failure as a treasure hunter, failure as a father. In my dreams, I find the treasure and get a small farm....this ultra cool dog, Knight would be there forever and we would even raise his puppies....now all gone...all dead.
    A week later I had to drive back to Arkansas for business....I told my daughter that would visit Knights grave....I get there but cant find it...calling her back I get the exact spot....behind the hotel next door just into the grass field.
    I paid my respects and wept at the clumps of sod overturned in the field.....then it hit me and I cried out with rage.
    Our dear dog was buried 6 ft in the grass field behind the Motel 6......just off the interstate I-40 at exit 66.
    I am petrified at the number 66.....If I catch myself driving this fast, I immediately either hit the brakes or speed up. My wife now is to.
    Yesterday I realized what it might also mean....I am 62 this summer....of course in 4 years, I will be 66.
    My youngest sun will be the only child home. He is 9 now...in 4 years he will be 13. Now my mind will never stray far from the summer of his 13th year.....and my 66th
    I honestly do not know how I will survive the anniversary of the Chase ending that year. My son will be, lucky 13....For me
    it will be the 6 day of the 6 month while I am 66 years old. 6666
    God help this poor broken down old man on that day.

ps..There is a black engraved gravestone for our dog at this site....please do not disturb....

I feel your pain, my friend. I really do.

Don't really have any thoughts on the numbers, other than 66=FF.

On a side note, if you or anyone else here has a dog run off again in the future . . .
    Take your coat off, or shirt, or whatever, anything with your scent on it, and leave it on the ground at the last spot you saw your friend.
    The dog will eventually backtrack in most cases and s/he will be laying on your jacket when you return the next morning.
    Just a little something I learned being a southern boy who hunted with dogs when I wore a younger man's clothes.
    Finding Jessica

Comment

Brother, I also feel your pain. In my little world, in my little slice of the immense sweep of time, I think dogs are perfect. Any suffering they meet is a travesty of the moral universe. Honestly, how can it happen and leave us whole?

As to number ...... be careful. We are deeply bound to the associations of our experience. Honestly, how can it be otherwise in the seventh decade of life yours and mine? When I read "Forrest Fenn, Land Surveyor" I was both seized and riven by the number.

66 feet in a chain ..... oh man, how I have lived and died by chains. Everything else depends on them: map scale > 1:15,840 > number of acres in a square inch > where am I going > where the hell am I.

Number is IMO the greatest comfort for the earthbound wanderer no matter the way-point goal. With it we can describe in perfect mirror the natural world. In my mind dogs are the natural spirit animal of the mathematical wanderer, but we have to be careful. We can from number build up from and boil down to every natural thing except, perhaps, black holes. At the heart of every thing there is a number shared by every other thing, and conversely there is a number that serves to combine every disparate thing into an elegant whole ...... making both the boiling-down and build-up a perfect description yet lacking fulsome explanation. In the end perfection will both provide and need comfort.

Noooobody expects the Chase Underground. Our chief weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the POEM.

Comment

Originally posted by whiskynovember View Post
        Brother, I also feel your pain. In my little world, in my little slice of the immense sweep of time, I think dogs are perfect. Any suffering they meet is a travesty of the moral universe. Honestly, how can it happen and leave us whole?

As to number ...... be careful. We are deeply bound to the associations of our experience. Honestly, how can it be otherwise in the seventh decade of life yours and mine? When I read "Forrest Fenn, Land Surveyor" I was both seized and riven by the number.

66 feet in a chain ..... oh man, how I have lived and died by chains. Everything else depends on them: map scale > 1:15,840 > number of acres in a square inch > where am I going > where the hell am I.

Number is IMO the greatest comfort for the earthbound wanderer no matter the way-point goal. With it we can describe in perfect mirror the natural world. In my mind dogs are the natural spirit animal of the mathematical wanderer, but we have to be careful. We can from number build up from and boil down to every natural thing except, perhaps, black holes. At the heart of every thing there is a number shared by every other thing, and conversely there is a number that serves to combine every disparate thing into an elegant whole ...... making both the boiling-down and build-up a perfect description yet lacking fulsome explanation. In the end perfection will both provide and need comfort.
        Been smokin' summa dem fat numbers, have we?

Comment

Originally posted by NadiyaM View Post
          When you flip a coin, theoretically it comes up either heads or tails an equal 50% of the time...in the long run. Just how long is the long run.
          When does a strange run of bad luck, the coincidences become....terminal?
          I submit for your approval....the number: 66

Forrest said 66K links north of Santa Fe.....what does that mean? well 66 had a HUGE bearing on the solution of the Chase...in part because the fake blaze is located at exactly 6666ft above sea level....I spent just over a year of my life and valuable searching time stuck in this location at the "Mirror solve.".........I will forever be haunted by how close I came....I curse the numbers 66.

Now fast forward.....the chest is found and announced on June 6........66.... Forrest says the Chase is over. My big dream of a better life is shattered...sick to my stomach for weeks..
          Still, I try to limp thru with my dream of moving to Kentucky and working with horses. Now instead on a paupers budget. I sell my little house and pack....the wife at the last minute wants me to take one dog in the Uhaul van. I reluctantly agree....Stopping along the way FAR behind a truck stop for a "dog break"....the phone rings and my daughter is very upset.... meanwhile, our precious black lab is tied to a tree while I console my daughter over the phone......Our black lab....Knight...grows inpatient and turns and pulls backwards on the leash and gets free. I tell my daughter I have to go and get off......the dog takes off running thru the woods etc....alone and already exhausted from almost no sleep for two days...I spend HOURS looking for the dog......the rest of the family is way ahead of me.....I am alone and drive thru the countryside looking...but finally must leave. I leave my phone number with the owner of the gas station and go.
          I tell the already distraught daughter the bad news....it really was her dog....She cries and begs begs me to drive back in the middle of the night. I explain I was already falling asleep at the wheel and cant drive the 5 hours back without sleep. The gas station owner calls and says the dog is back but he cant catch it....My daughter is frantic and starts driving in the middle of the night from Missouri to get there at first light the next morning. Next morning, the phone rings and I answer to hear utter despair....she gets there at first light to find her dog dead, run over, in the middle of the road.
          Thru her sobs, I have to beg her to try to take Knight and give him the proper burial. She says she cant touch him....I told her we all loved him and I know it seems impossible but you have to or you will always regret it....The gas station owner comes and helps and they bury Knight.
          I am distraught....there is no shortage of blame thrown at me.....how could you possibly leave? you should have stayed there forever. Failure as a treasure hunter, failure as a father. In my dreams, I find the treasure and get a small farm....this ultra cool dog, Knight would be there forever and we would even raise his puppies....now all gone...all dead.
          A week later I had to drive back to Arkansas for business....I told my daughter that would visit Knights grave....I get there but cant find it...calling her back I get the exact spot....behind the hotel next door just into the grass field.
          I paid my respects and wept at the clumps of sod overturned in the field.....then it hit me and I cried out with rage.
          Our dear dog was buried 6 ft in the grass field behind the Motel 6......just off the interstate I-40 at exit 66.
          I am petrified at the number 66.....If I catch myself driving this fast, I immediately either hit the brakes or speed up. My wife now is to.
          Yesterday I realized what it might also mean....I am 62 this summer....of course in 4 years, I will be 66.
          My youngest sun will be the only child home. He is 9 now...in 4 years he will be 13. Now my mind will never stray far from the summer of his 13th year.....and my 66th
          I honestly do not know how I will survive the anniversary of the Chase ending that year. My son will be, lucky 13....For me
          it will be the 6 day of the 6 month while I am 66 years old. 6666
          God help this poor broken down old man on that day.

ps..There is a black engraved gravestone for our dog at this site....please do not disturb....
          Man...I’m so sorry for your loss and your hardship. One thing I know is that our days are numbered and known by a God that is insanely in love with us. I don’t understand why bad things happen, but even in those times, He is mapping things out ultimately for our good. He says He is CLOSE to the broken hearted. You were put here on this earth for a divine purpose and you won’t leave this earth for the grandest adventure until it’s EXACTLY your time to go.
          God BLESS you. I wish you ALL the best and pray God blesses you with AMAZING times to make past tragedies seem like dismal reflections. Not trying to preach at you man, I just know that Jesus has been very real in the midst of my family and I’s pain and sorrows. I would be selfish to not share the hope that I’ve found. Take heart man.

Comment

Hwy 191 used to be Hwy 666.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. That is really sad. There are tons of coincidences that we tend to not notice until we start examining them. I would bet you've had just as many bizarre things happen surrounding other numbers as well, but might have missed it. I don't know. I'm just trying to cheer you up. If we hadn't stolen our numbers from the Arabs, everything would be all XVIMCDL. LOL. So, a number just stands for whatever we make it stand for. If you're concerned about turning 66, there's never a better time than now to switch up the diet and exercise plan or whatever else.

I like your idea of working with horses so much. I think it's my favorite "what I would do if I found the treasure." It's smart, relaxing, and well thought out. Although some horses I've worked with have been real assholes from time to time, I always blame their behavior on me. They're just horses being horses; I'm the one here screwing things up.

But losing a dog in two different ways so rapidly... oh, friend. That's very sad.

But, in terms of turning 66. First, that's not old. Second, if you make it that long be very happy because many people don't live that long. I think people turn old at about 80. So think about turning 80 a little more often, so you can actually live to be old and happy about being old. 66 is young. My father died unexpectedly a few months after turning 60. It was very hard on our family, but we have survived and mostly only the good memories remain for discussion and laughter now.

Remember that we as a species find patters and recognize them. It's a unique ability of ours. You recognizing sixes might be the same thing. We find patterns even when they don't particularly pertain to our individual realities. It's like when you buy a brand new used car and suddenly you start seeing that same make and model of car everywhere. It's because that's now part of your pattern recognition because you've built in to find your new used car among all the other cars in the world. Happens to me every time I buy some old beater. Suddenly I see them everywhere.

Comment

I'm so sorry, that's very sad. I hope you know that it was not your fault that the dog escaped. I look at numbers like religion. We see in them what we are looking for. They satisfy a need for finding the meaning in something, answers, to make sense of something senseless. I bet if you really look you will find something positive that came out of that unfortunate experience. It might just be the realization that no number, not even that crappy number 66, is going to dictate how you feel about yourself or your life 4 years from now.

Comment

NadiyaM, Thanks for sharing your story. So many of us were hoping to find the chest to make a better life. Forrest said that he did it to give us hope; in the end I think he knew it was going to be painful for so many. Many of us were obsessed by the Chase and everyone thought they found the correct location...and still do.

I hope you can build a new life and find peace, hope and contentment. Cherish the treasures that you have today, life is short.

Ramblings of a madman.

Comment

Coincidence or curse?

Coincidence . . .of course? I am positive God will help you on that special day.

Comment

Please , never think its a curse . It is ALWAYS reason we dont understand . For instance , the time you spent searching for the dog could have saved YOU from getting into an accident down the road . Trust me , there is always a reason we spend time looking for lost keys in the house . WE make our reality , so think positively about that number , it could have saved your life ! Peace !

Comment

I love a coincidence.
                        Here's one; Every night I retire to bed and read a book or watch a little TV until I started dropping off, because I cannot switch off. Just before I go to sleep I check the time on my watch that sits on the bedside table. 1am, bang on, every single night. Amazing eh? Now I know that's a coincidence and nothing more, coz the watch stopped working 20 years ago.
                        Last edited by Mr Eyes; 05-16-2021, 02:11 AM.

Comment

That's a sad story, NadiyaM. Curiously, Browns Creek runs directly behind the motel and truck stop as it skirts the edge of Woodland.

Comment

Originally posted by voxpops View Post
                            That's a sad story, NadiyaM. Curiously, Browns Creek runs directly behind the motel and truck stop as it skirts the edge of Woodland.
                            I wondered if in this naturally skeptical group, someone would call B.S. and look up the map to try and call me out. My guess was yes..))
                            I do want to thank the multitude of kind people answering....
                            My family is a bit in shock at this whole thing......I have always planned to be cremated when my time comes. So I told them that if it happens in my 66th year...to put half of my ashes under Knights grave marker at exit 66.....
                            Sometimes if we are lucky, when one door slams in our face another one cracks open. The Covid 19 restrictions prevented me from being able to search before the Chase ended....but also caused a severe lack of buyers at the Thoroughbred auctions in Lexington......I had absolutely no wish to buy a little yearling horse and pay the incredible cost of raising and training it to race....but even though my family was still living in a motel......there IT was....and for most of what little cash I had, I bought IT.
                            Now she is a 2 year old and I spend each day at Keeneland racetrack as she begins her journey to race. She is built like a "brick house" and while modestly bred....both her sire and dam (mom and dad) were outstanding racehorses.
                            Again my dream was to find the treasure and buy a small farm and train racehorses....I now approach IT with the same unshakable belief in myself as when I set out to find the treasure. Perhaps this "road" will still get me to where I wanted to go?
                            For those familiar with racing....her official name is Bedtime for Buffy.
                            you can follow along with my dream as I try to get her to the races...))

Comment

Originally posted by NadiyaM View Post

I wondered if in this naturally skeptical group, someone would call B.S. and look up the map to try and call me out. My guess was yes..))
                              I do want to thank the multitude of kind people answering....
                              My family is a bit in shock at this whole thing......I have always planned to be cremated when my time comes. So I told them that if it happens in my 66th year...to put half of my ashes under Knights grave marker at exit 66.....
                              Sometimes if we are lucky, when one door slams in our face another one cracks open. The Covid 19 restrictions prevented me from being able to search before the Chase ended....but also caused a severe lack of buyers at the Thoroughbred auctions in Lexington......I had absolutely no wish to buy a little yearling horse and pay the incredible cost of raising and training it to race....but even though my family was still living in a motel......there IT was....and for most of what little cash I had, I bought IT.
                              Now she is a 2 year old and I spend each day at Keeneland racetrack as she begins her journey to race. She is built like a "brick house" and while modestly bred....both her sire and dam (mom and dad) were outstanding racehorses.
                              Again my dream was to find the treasure and buy a small farm and train racehorses....I now approach IT with the same unshakable belief in myself as when I set out to find the treasure. Perhaps this "road" will still get me to where I wanted to go?
                              For those familiar with racing....her official name is Bedtime for Buffy.
                              you can follow along with my dream as I try to get her to the races...))
                              Naturally skeptical, yes; calling BS, no. At first, I couldn't tell whether the story was an attempt at teasing those of us who've had odd experiences and have been fascinated by numbers in the chase, mainly because I hadn't seen that side of you before. But by taking a look at the area I could picture what you were talking about much more easily. Being so used to looking at Google Maps, it was pretty much an automatic reaction. I have to say I found it a little spooky when I saw Browns Creek, TBH.

Good luck with your dream. I admire your tenacity and perseverance.

Comment

Working...
                              X