Where's the cowboy story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the cowboy story?

I remember reading a story about Forrest, as a young boy, watching a cowboy on a horse riding by. In the story, Forrest said "Hiya, Cowboy!" -- or something similar -- , and the cowboy dismounted, walked over to Forrest without a word, and punched him in the face.

I may have this description a tiny bit inaccurately re-told, but I want to read the story again. It wasn't in TTOTC, TFTW, or UOAW. Where is it? If anyone would point me to it, I'd be grateful. I don't believe the story, as written, is totally true. But I'm looking for hints in it. Thanks in advance.

It’s a video. He tells how he came up with his first rule: “Don’t make the alligator mad until you’ve crossed the River.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVY8ugAisl8

Comment

I'm thinking he took that saying from the Taos culture. Probably when they were thinking about airing the "Twin Peeks" mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Longfellow View Post
        It’s a video. He tells how he came up with his first rule: “Don’t make the alligator mad until you’ve crossed the River.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVY8ugAisl8
        Thank you. I think there might have been a tiny, tiny hint there, but certainly not critically important to a correct solve.
        Edited to add: I think the story is primarily fabrication. A grown man riding a horse would not stop, dismount, and punch, as hard as he could, a boy 8 or 9 years old, just because the boy (innocently) greeted the man with "Hiya, Cowboy." Something's very fishy here. Also, the part about the alligator/river isn't relevant here. I think the part about being punched is. Still not a huge hint. As always, part of my opinion.
        Last edited by Old Pilot; 05-06-2021, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Thank you. I think there might have been a tiny, tiny hint there, but certainly not critically important to a correct solve.
          It is written somewhere. Even with a picture. I have to search. Maybe it was in TFTW or on the Oldsantafetradingco website.
          Last edited by jan_v60; 05-05-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Learning can be a painful experience and some old Texans can deliver pretty fierce jabs.

Comment

Originally posted by jan_v60 View Post

It is written somewhere. Even with a picture. I have to search. Maybe it was in TFTW.
              If you find that, please post a reference. I have all three memoirs, but TTOTC is the only one that I know really well.

Comment

Originally posted by voxpops View Post
                Learning can be a painful experience and some old Texans can deliver pretty fierce jabs.
                Poor little young Forrest got his nose bloodied by an adult Texan? I'd hardly call that "fierce." More like a bully with the deck stacked in his favor.

Comment

Well, folk should never take friends for granted, might be one lesson here. Especially when they're on their high horse (stoned...chuckle...).

Never seen the written text.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Eyes View Post
                    Well, folk should never take friends for granted, might be one lesson here. Especially when they're on their high horse (stoned...chuckle...).

Never seen the written text.
                    Who was on their high horse? All I've seen is massive confusion and unreasonably high expectations. And an insulting attitude by a few too many posters.

Comment

https://youtu.be/o07ecRzkLuM

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post

Who was on their high horse? All I've seen is massive confusion and unreasonably high expectations. And an insulting attitude by a few too many posters.
                        The cowboy was on his high horse, of course, before lowering himself to become a bully.

How does one calculate attitude from short text and not knowing much, if anything about the author? It is the reader who interprets. That's why we all suffer a conflicting understanding of the/a book (and poem).

Comment

It’s written in the Esquire Article from 2018:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a...cky-mountains/

“There’s this one, about growing up in the Thirties in Temple, Texas: “I was sitting down on my front porch, there was nobody around, it’s a dirt road, and here comes a man riding a horse going down to the livery stable half a mile away. I’m sitting there all by myself, eight or nine years old, and I say, ‘Hiya, cowboy!’ Well, he got off his horse and came over and hit me on the jaw just as hard as he could, knocked me down, broke my lip, got on his horse and rode away. I made my first rule: don’t make the alligator mad until you’ve crossed the river.”

Last edited by Rose Livingstone; 05-05-2021, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_140649.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	283506
                            He told that story about the cowboy on the horse punching him as a hint for this spot. Do you see the blood? And the nose? And his age when he said that happened to him?

Comment

Working...
                            X