Post What You Would Do If You Were Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post What You Would Do If You Were Jack

This thread is titled "Post What You Would Do If You Were Jack" but I suggest you don't post anything because it is bait for whatever you would do to be criticized by others the way you and I and everyone else is criticizing Jack.

A spear is one of my favorite weapons and most of you would probably enjoy training with a spear against dummy targets, stabbing and throwing, but also blocking and raking (usually the eyes, but a groin rake can be effective too).

But do you know what isn't fun about a spear being utilized as a weapon?

Being on the wrong, "pointy end" of it.

If you do respond to this this thread topic, please include how you would deal with all the conspiracy theories and false accusations being hurled at you, and how you would deal with those few that might actually be true. Then compare your answers with how Jack is handling things and you can probably answer most of your own questions for Jack.

Me? If Jack wants to talk to me, he can ask many searchers to message me to let me know. Otherwise I don't see a reason to bother him. I'll just wait for him to do whatever he decides to do when he decides to do it on his timetable, not ours.

No matter how Jack came to possess the chest, it's his now to do with what he wants. I'm sure he has heard all the ideas of how or what we would want him to do with the chest, and maybe he will give those ideas some consideration before he does whatever it is he is going to do.
    Last edited by LurkerMike; 05-03-2021, 02:24 PM.

I would do exactly what he is doing.
    He's obviously being instructed by a lawyer (or two) and I would listen to them as he is.

Comment

I suspect I would do mostly the same as Jack is currently doing. My original plan even included posting anonymously on Medium.com exactly as Jack did. His strategy is pretty solid and the conspiracies were going to happen no matter what because critical thinking is difficult. I wouldn't sell the chest though.

Comment

I’m going to answer seriously because I thought a lot about it for years.

I would have brought the chest to Fennboree for serious searchers to view AND touch as a way to get closure. I probably would have stayed anonymous and let Forrest do the hosting if he could. You might say that was crazy and risky, but it was a found thing, I’d hire a plain clothes guard for safety, do it as a surprise, and just like Forrest’s example letting the kids touch George Washington, I’d accept the risks.

I would have sent one gold coin to the families of each of those who died in the chase. To me that’s not an empty gesture because all of those people could have been any one of us, and until it was found there was never any proof that what they sought was real, and the families deserve a bit of confirmation that the dream they were after wasn’t a complete foolish waste.

For selfish reasons, I also feel like doing something thoughtful for the unfortunate who lost their lives would help show that searchers were not all greedy and narrow-minded. That might improve the long-term story, which I would try to get made into a book or movie, promoting the positives but not white-washing the costs. The focus of the movie might be the searchers who dropped everything to search for Randy. I did not participate, but that was the highlight of the chase to me.

It would depend a lot on the location of the treasure, but I would want to place a small plaque there commemorating the chase and honoring the searchers who risked their reputations, savings, and well-being.

I would have memorialized Fenn for doing such a bold thing, but it would not be worshipping, or even as glowing as Jack did.

I had plans to implement a more practical and responsible recreational treasure hunting venture to share the fun, and maybe capitalize a little. The Legend Has It concept is nearly identical to how I would execute it. You should read up on that, and join in if you’re motivated. It’s safer, more practical, maybe a little less thrilling, but there is potential to reach even greater heights if done right.

I would certainly write a memoir describing the process of finding it in great detail. But I might just keep it to myself. Searchers might be the only ones interested, and I’d feel great responsibility to be open and honest with them, but I know the attacks and cynicism and accusations and conspiracy theories would follow despite my best efforts. So maybe I’d keep it secret, unless there was great demand years down the line. But I doubt it would be widely interesting anyway.

I would have immediately done what Jack is now doing, creating an email address (anonymously) or maybe a username on a forum (Jenny’s if she’d have me) to answer questions from searchers. I would have been absolutely truthful, but I may have kept some details private for a while. It might have come across a lot like Jack.

I would have kept the chest if I could possibly have done so financially. And I would have loaned it to where ever Fenn wanted it displayed. I would view it as a trophy rather than a windfall. But if you think that’s just talk, I can’t argue that the value might change my mind if I couldn’t capitalize in other ways.

At some point I would certainly share the solution to the poem as I understood it. And I would go through every scrapbook, statement, words of the week, question and answer, and Forrest Gets Mail, giving my honest opinion of whether they contained any clues. I feel strongly that anyone who put so much effort into investigating those things should find out what they might have been right about, what they might have conjured in their imagination, and had the opportunity to learn and grow from the experience.

I also considered having a contest for people to submit a solution and award a token prize for “best” second place solve, even if it was not close to the real location - I imagine the real solve is a bit more boring than some out there.

Once I revealed the solution, I would expect a long and hopefully fun debate about what the actual solutions to the clues were meant to be. I would have quizzed Forrest about every detail he would share, and I think I would be honest about my mistakes and any luck involved.

I would have imagined what it would be like to put in years of effort and come up short. I thought I’d be on the other side. I’d like to hear others’ ideas on topic.

This is too long. If you reply, quote the username not the text.

Comment

Originally posted by LurkerMike View Post
          This thread is titled "Post What You Would Do If You Were Jack" but I suggest you don't post anything because it is bait for whatever you would do to be criticized by others the way you and I and everyone else is criticizing Jack.

A spear is one of my favorite weapons and most of you would probably enjoy training with a spear against dummy targets, stabbing and throwing, but also blocking and raking (usually the eyes, but a groin rake can be effective too).

But do you know what isn't fun about a spear being utilized as a weapon?

Being on the wrong, "pointy end" of it.

If you do respond to this this thread topic, please include how you would deal with all the conspiracy theories and false accusations being hurled at you, and how you would deal with those few that might actually be true. Then compare your answers with how Jack is handling things and you can probably answer most of your own questions for Jack.

Me? If Jack wants to talk to me, he can ask many searchers to message me to let me know. Otherwise I don't see a reason to bother him. I'll just wait for him to do whatever he decides to do when he decides to do it on his timetable, not ours.

No matter how Jack came to possess the chest, it's his now to do with what he wants. I'm sure he has heard all the ideas of how or what we would want him to do with the chest, and maybe he will give those ideas some consideration before he does whatever it is he is going to do.
          I would like to think I would do exactly what he’s doing which is great but, honestly he’s handling it much better that I probably would.

Comment

1) Be nimble
            2) Be quick
            3) Avoid blaze of candlestick

Comment

I wrote over 2 years ago that the absolute worst tragedy would be what has happened now. I believe Jack was "discovered" by authorities during his trip but still he could go on a site "anonymously"....I doubt the "FEDS" are really monitoring the blogs...he could say thats interesting but deny it was him.....something anything should have happened....
              BUT time does, slowly, heal all wounds. I dont have enough sorrow left to waste on the hunt....as much a matter of habit now as anything...

Comment

Two chicks at the same time man!

Comment

Not totally sure. It would depend on what instructions there were from Forrest. Probably would have sought advice from Forrest on what to do. But I definitely would have taken several selfies with the chest at the chest location!!!

Comment

There's so much that I don't know. For example, I don't know whether what we've been told by Forrest is true, or what we've been told by Jack is true. Both point the finger at the other for not outing the solution. But if it was Jack's call, that's where I would have deviated entirely. I would have asked Forrest to release the solve and discuss the hints and the clues in his writings. I think that would have been ultimately the closure everyone is after.

I would also not have remained silent while Forrest was alive. I would have stayed anonymous but issued a statement through Forrest on Dal's site to talk to searchers kindly. I certainly wouldn't have let Forrest be criticized after it was found, or remained silent. And I most certainly would have provided photos to prove the find faster than the ten days it took to see four photos and find out we would not know the answers. That's where I would have handled it differently, in hind sight.

As for right now, I'd tell searchers that on the one year anniversary I would release one hint per month, pointing it out in the book (maybe just the page number?), so people would know that the solution was coming and could play along, if they wanted to do so.

There's ultimately no sense of resolution, and for a project that Forrest worked on for so long, and for one that so many people invested so heavily in emotionally, intellectually, time-wise, and financially I would not let this lack of resolution fester indefinitely. If I couldn't say for five years, because of statutes of limitation or whatever, then I would say so and not make up strange ideas like the place would get damaged. For every one searcher who would litter or whatever, ten would clean the place up if they visited the spot. And literally, if Dal went out to the spot and shot video from it, most would not need to go there if they knew the correct solution; that would be enough for most people.

It's this lack of closure that's most fueling conspiracy theories and other bs.... like the chest is still out there, or there's two chests, or Jack isn't the finder, or Forrest pulled it, or the dozen or so people who claim to be the "real" finder, even now.

This lack of closure isn't healthy for other searchers. If this is all supposed to be fun, like Forrest told us all along, then the ending should equally be fun just like the Chase was.

Comment

I would share the solve!

Comment

I would not have left Forrest to fend for himself during the lawsuits. Beings that I had nothing to hide and innocent of all charges, I would have immediately and gladly stepped up and defended my friend, no matter the cost. Had Jack done what was right in the beginning, there wouldn’t have been any controversy or conspiracy theories to talk about and we all would have had a very nice ending.

Comment

1. take one of the small jars full off nuggets with a total cash value 2500.00- 5000.00 USD (2-4oz).
                          -insert 3-4 of said nuggets into a commemorative card w/bubble. repeat.
                          -sell the cards with a total cash value of under $2.00 to the search community for a nominal fee.
                          -so everyone could own a peace of the treasure, for a nominal fee.

2. go fishing with 2 girls at the same time.

3. if i wasn't going to just disclose the location, i would at least confirm with any searcher if the found the spot.
                          -personally i would disclose the location real time on live feed.

4. sell some gold quickly before the price of gold sky rockets, pay uncle same, sit on the rest of the minted gold and nuggets for when the price of gold sky rockets.

5. maybe donate some stuff to a museum for a sweet tax deduction.

6. buy XRP! (the next big treasure hunt).

Comment

Originally posted by colokidd View Post
                            I would not have left Forrest to fend for himself during the lawsuits. Beings that I had nothing to hide and innocent of all charges, I would have immediately and gladly stepped up and defended my friend, no matter the cost. Had Jack done what was right in the beginning, there wouldn’t have been any controversy or conspiracy theories to talk about and we all would have had a very nice ending.
                            best thing i have ever read in this blog. respect.

Comment

What I would do:

Have the chest and its contents cleaned., and the box restored.

If grading each coin is worth the price, I'd have each one graded, cased, and placed back into the box.

I wouldn't read the biography that's inside, because I honestly wouldn't care enough to. Plus, I wouldn't want to mess with the value of the chest.

I'd then store the chest as far from myself as I could in a vault with as much security as offered.

Take down my social media to avoid the crazies, while also taking down all photos on my accounts in case someone socially engineered the password to my accounts.

Put in a request for Individual Access and Review. After reading the results, request to have my public records sealed.

Speak with the IRS and a lawyer regarding potential tax implications.

I'd use a pre-paid credit with a fake name to pay for a long-term Airbnb far away from where I currently live while using saved up time off from work.

Start keeping weapons in my car.

If I used a rental car, I'd make sure not to connect my phone via bluetooth. After my trip, I would delete all of my data and then my account on the rental company's website.

I would take pictures for my lawyer, but remove all of the metadata in case the lawyer turned out to be a searcher. In case, I'd also have them sign an NDA until it was time to sell the box.

Offload all pictures into a private hard drive with a password, store it in a PO box, and remove them from my phone.

Study the forums looking for potentially dangerous searchers in order to prepare myself in case they try to dox/harass/injure/blackmail me.

I'd remain quiet and give nobody anything. The solution would stay with me. There would be no pictures or media of any kind.

If I did interviews, I'd use a vpn, a voice changer, and a filter.

There would be no movie.

There would be no memoir about Fenn, because people would assume there are clues in it, or try to use it to figure out who I am. Either that, or they'd claim that I was fake. I'd give the family something I wrote, but done privately.

If I had to communicate to the public for some reason via e-mail, I'd use a disposable e-mail address.

I'd have a rep put together a private auction. After it was sold, I'd be in the wind. I'd ather go back home after the coast was clear, or I'd do a long-term move.

After that, I'd put the cash into retirement, stocks, bonds, cryptocurrency, retirement, savings, antiquities, and comic books.

Finally, I'd go back to living my life as it was, and pretend that I never found it. Essentially, since all of the money would be put into places where I couldn't touch it until retirement, I'd be living off of a normal paycheck.

Comment

Working...
                              X