"Ferd"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ferd"

I see this as an aberration, intended as a tiny hint. This was the mis-spelled name of a woman's ex-husband/fiance/boyfriend in one of Forrest's writings. It wasn't in TTOTC. The book was either TFTW or UOAW. Not a biggie, but it took me a while to figure this one out. And no, it's not a game-changer. Please remember that (in my opinion) a hint is only confirmation of a correct bit of solving.

Maybe it could help with some L-atitude adjustment. How 'bout some perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
      I see this as an aberration, intended as a tiny hint. This was the mis-spelled name of a woman's ex-husband/fiance/boyfriend in one of Forrest's writings. It wasn't in TTOTC. The book was either TFTW or UOAW. Not a biggie, but it took me a while to figure this one out. And no, it's not a game-changer. Please remember that (in my opinion) a hint is only confirmation of a correct bit of solving.
      It was in OUAW and yes, I always thought it must be kind of a hint...
      „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
      G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

Yes, as you know, it's an anagram. 'Ferd', if my memory serves me correctly, was used in one of f's SB's & this story included the term 'cholla cactus'--
        this is an anagram of 'callous catch'--presumably a reference to Mr. 'ferd'. Fenn often included references to some of the 'chasers' who perhaps emailed
        or wrote to him. IMO, this was f using 'chasers' issues for his personal entertainment & this was an undesirable side of his nature.
        I believe f liked the word 'callous' as he used it in a weird anagram aimed at 'Dphile' which appeared on H.O.D. several years back.
        I have other examples of this type of activity.

Comment

Old Pilot It initially came out as a Scrapbook entitled 'Divorce Logic'. Forrest said he could not remember the girls name, quote: "So for some subliminal reason I'll call her 'Angel" which is an anagram of 'ANGLE' and the size of the pot she made was 18 x 10 which is 180. And 180 degrees is the angle he was referring to, it represents the arc of a 'Rainbow'

Comment

Ferd is a homophone of the German word Pferd which means horse... it could hint towards how to get to the spot or the bodyweight of the Lead Sercher...
            „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
            G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

Fred Noonan was Amelia Earhart’s navigator and also a frequent character in the novels of WP Kinsella, who wrote a book called The Thrill of the Grass.. Could be an argument for Amelia’s house as Home of Brown.

Comment

I forgot to add, I know the identity of the searcher ('ferd'), but didn't want to name him here, as I have some respect for others (& it's not me !)
                Looks like I had the truth with my first post here, as almost immediately 'post-burying' comments were added !

Comment

Originally posted by OneMoreBOTG View Post
                  Fred Noonan was Amelia Earhart’s navigator and also a frequent character in the novels of WP Kinsella, who wrote a book called The Thrill of the Grass.. Could be an argument for Amelia’s house as Home of Brown.
                  Sorry, but no ! h.o.B is not a real human habitation.

Comment

If there is a hint in here, that hint IMO is “red”. Red is misspelled as erd. That could mean “red” is important. Just as there was red tea in the teas with Olga. But there was also green tea. Red- green brings in my memory the anaglyph glasses (red-green) I used as a child for viewing 3d pictures (there are magenta-cyan anaglyph glasses also). Maybe that is why children could have an advantage in solving the poem. Certain colours also turn black when seen through that kind of glasses (black tea). Somewhere FF told that children should not only use the sense of their eyes (or something like this). Maybe observing the pictures in TTOTC or the map through such glasses could be helpfull. Looking with one eye at a Red color through the Cyan filter will give you black. Looking to a Cyan picture through the Red filter will give black also. ...etc.
                    the reason is that in substractive color mixing, such as paints:
                    R=M+Y (red)
                    B=C+M (blue)
                    G= C+Y (green)
                    and: M+Y+C=Black (magenta+yellow+cyan)
                    So a red paint (=M+Y) observed trough Cyan glasses gives M+Y+C=Black

It is only an idea.
                    And could also be connected to Fenn’s rainbow....colors: it starts with red magenta and ends in blue cyan.....
                    Worth to consider is also the use of Yellow-Cyan or Yellow-Red glasses that are not commercially available, but could also reveal a 3d image within an image that looks normal at first sight. Thinking again about Tea with Olga, yellow tea is missing. I think I will try to fabricate yellow-magenta glasses and look at the pictures in the books, the map....again. Maybe we could find an X in spirit.

I joined an example of the effect. Look with red(left) and cyan(right) glasses to the added picture:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jan_v60; 05-07-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jan_v60 View Post
                      If there is a hint in here, that hint IMO is “red”. Red is misspelled as erd. That could mean “red” is important. Just as there was red tea in the teas with Olga. But there was also green tea. Red- green brings in my memory the anaglyph glasses (red-green) I used as a child for viewing 3d pictures (there are amagenta-cyan anaglyph glasses). Maybe that is why children could have an advantage in solving the poem. Certain colours also turn black when seen through that kind of glasses (black tea). Somewhere FF told that a children should not only use the sense of their eyes (or something like this). Maybe observing the pictures in TTOTC or the map through such glasses could be helpfull. Looking with one eye at a red (magenta) color through the blue (cyan) filter will give you black. Looking to a blue (cyan) picture through the red (magenta) filter will give black also. ...etc.

It is only an idea.

It's also he first color of the rainbow.

Comment

The E should be left and the R should be right, left is right. Then you got Fred.

Comment

Originally posted by 1&Only1Trailblazer View Post
                          The E should be left and the R should be right, left is right. Then you got Fred.
                          Ferdinand would disagree.

Comment

Kinda moves the r around like in "I payed for dsr" huh?

Comment

The "re" between the F&D, once broken up, could only be repaired by an "er". Either way, the poor guys name held special meaning once healed.

Comment

Working...
                              X