Your quest to cease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your quest to cease

One possible meaning of "your quest to cease" in the poem is that the searcher stops seeking material wealth, and relaxes in that regard, accepting and "settling for" poverty, not having found the trove (bronze chest containing gold, etc.).

Another possible meaning is that the searcher will find the trove, and thereby will stop seeking it.

Of course, I hope the second meaning is what actually comes to pass. I'm not much one to encourage a "sour grapes" attitude, but I could certainly understand it in this treasure hunt.

my quest will cease when I find that special spot..... with or without the trove. What a trip!
    1f Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
      One possible meaning of "your quest to cease" in the poem is that the searcher stops seeking material wealth, and relaxes in that regard, accepting and "settling for" poverty, not having found the trove (bronze chest containing gold, etc.).

Another possible meaning is that the searcher will find the trove, and thereby will stop seeking it.

Of course, I hope the second meaning is what actually comes to pass. I'm not much one to encourage a "sour grapes" attitude, but I could certainly understand it in this treasure hunt.
      Nobody in this search is ever likely to be subject to poverty. More than some, but less than others, we are lucky enough to be in the middle.

We should never settle for anything, because flat out complacency is not where we need to be.
      $1000 cash prize - The Hint of Riches - Forrest Fenn's Treasure Hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

I am not sure if I have ever had a thought that was close to the meaning of your #1 . I am bemused and a bit confused Mr.Pilot.

I mean , IF , I say IF , HYPOTHETICALLY speaking ,that were actually Mr.Fenns meaning behind those words , they would seem pessimistic at best and elitist at worst. Akin to "Hey , I was wealthy , but you should relent to the fact , you won't ever be "

Comment

Originally posted by Fenndery View Post

I am not sure if I have ever had a thought that was close to the meaning of your #1 . I am bemused and a bit confused Mr.Pilot.

I mean , IF , I say IF , HYPOTHETICALLY speaking ,that were actually Mr.Fenns meaning behind those words , they would seem pessimistic at best and elitist at worst. Akin to "Hey , I was wealthy , but you should relent to the fact , you won't ever be "
          I don't want to put words into OP's mouth, but I think that there are a couple of important words in that sentence: "seeking" and "relax." If you switch the focus from seeking material wealth to something more long-lasting and you relax about whether or not that wealth comes to you, it doesn't necessarily imply that you're not still a searcher or are complacent. It's just that the material goodies are now of secondary importance. I recall FF talking about his sense of unease when his father commented about how much money Forrest made in one deal in comparison to a regular salary (or at least that was the gist of it). I think Forrest's focus began to shift toward spiritual riches and in latter years he didn't consider himself particularly wealthy in monetary terms (although that's relative). I suspect that a good deal of his assets were used to support endeavors that were important to him, rather than lifestyle.

Comment

Old Pilot
            ​​​​​​​It also could have both meanings:
            - if you are at the wrong spot: prepare for “not becoming rich”, and accept that
            - if you are at the right spot: take the chest and stop seeking

Comment

No one accepts poverty. They just realize they will never have the healthcare (or whatever- but it usually involves a long standing deadly and dangerous medical condition such as unmedicated diabetes or depression) required to maintain a minimum quality of life that makes life tolerable. They simply stop caring if they live or die.
              That’s poverty. They understand quality of life is more important than life itself. Even prisoners get a fairly warm place to sleep, medical attention, and three squares a day. Many outside of prison don’t have that minimum level of humanity.
              I would never expect ‘acceptance’ of that deprived state to be a solution, nor tolerate the company of any who do.
              So, what is the solution? We could eliminate the problem by killing off all the people. Maybe we could eradicate greed. We could hand out boots with jet packs attached activated by bootstraps. We could leave the planet and start over on another one with selective memory this place ever existed. We could destroy evil and Satan and transform Earth to a heavenly state. Which of these solutions seems plausible? If there’s a chance F figured it out and put the answer in that box, well, maybe that box is worth more than Jack’s asking price.

Comment

Look quickly down.
                Suddenly depressed.
                Down in the dumps.

Your quest to cease.
                Cease - the end.
                The tail end, as in tail-end Charlie.
                Quest confirms this approach.

Tired and weak - out of steam, out of fuel,
                Short of breath.
                Sob.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, like gathering spare tires from the dump, and the comic books, and the little goat, and numerous other times that f shared stories about finding treasures in the trash/garbage/dumps.

But yea, keep dismissing it.
                Finding Jessica

Comment

It is more about being "Contented" with your life. I am content, but I still search for adventure.

Comment

Quest-a long or arduous search for something.

long-beyond the point aimed at; too far. (too far you say?)

arduous-involving or requiring strenuous effort; difficult and tiring. (Your effort will be worth the cold??? I’ve done it tired and now I’m weak??)

Quest-(in medieval romance) an expedition made by a knight to accomplish a prescribed task. (that’s the kind of title I want…now if only I could find a king to give me such a title…I’d probably hand him an olive branch first to extend a warm welcome.)

Forest-(in England) an area, typically owned by the sovereign and partly wooded, kept for hunting and having its own laws.

Forrest Keeps it right?

Ranger-a keeper of a park, forest, or area of countryside.

​​​​​​….sooo a Forest Ranger?

Walk-a part of a forest under one keeper. All coincidences? Probably.
                    Last edited by DanNun; 05-02-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

And I'll say this again . . .
                      Brown is the color most associated with poverty.
                      Think about the phrase "dirt poor".

Put in below the home of Brown.
                      If Brown is poverty, then the home of poverty is the Poor House.
                      Pour house.

A pour house is a water shed.

Begin it where warm waters halt.
                      Warm waters halt in a watershed.

Put in below the watershed.
                      Finding Jessica

Comment

Originally posted by Seabiscuit3
                        Can somebody find me? I’m in the dumps.
                        Yea I’m trying to get the plane off the ground. No need for bearings cuz we’ve lost our marbles. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post
                          One man's trash is another man's treasure, like gathering spare tires from the dump, and the comic books, and the little goat, and numerous other times that f shared stories about finding treasures in the trash/garbage/dumps.
                          If you've been prodigal, you might easily find yourself on the trash heap. If someone comes along and gives you another chance, take it!

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post
                            Look quickly down.
                            Suddenly depressed.
                            Down in the dumps.

Your quest to cease.
                            Cease - the end.
                            The tail end, as in tail-end Charlie.
                            Quest confirms this approach.

Tired and weak - out of steam, out of fuel,
                            Short of breath.
                            Sob.

But yea, keep dismissing it.
                            It could also be hided outside and near a dump site or landfill ( That is part of my solution). But the word landfill itself or dump cannot be deduced directly from the poem. But the form of it (an F) on GE is the blaze for me.
                            About tired and weak: don’t forget the scrapbook where he forgot to take gaz when driving to the office for renewal of his flying license. And indeed he runned out of gaz.... but that “out of steam” (as you call it) can also refer to my place WWWH, where steam locomomitives had to refuel. But my solve had not very much success on this blog. And I accept this, thinking: wait and see.
                            Maybe I am a victim of confirmation bias....but that is a tricky subject, because I can not find any anomalies in my solution. I still search for the meaning of Indulgence. And the hidden secret.
                            Last edited by jan_v60; 05-02-2021, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by voxpops View Post

I don't want to put words into OP's mouth, but I think that there are a couple of important words in that sentence: "seeking" and "relax." If you switch the focus from seeking material wealth to something more long-lasting and you relax about whether or not that wealth comes to you, it doesn't necessarily imply that you're not still a searcher or are complacent. It's just that the material goodies are now of secondary importance. I recall FF talking about his sense of unease when his father commented about how much money Forrest made in one deal in comparison to a regular salary (or at least that was the gist of it). I think Forrest's focus began to shift toward spiritual riches and in latter years he didn't consider himself particularly wealthy in monetary terms (although that's relative). I suspect that a good deal of his assets were used to support endeavors that were important to him, rather than lifestyle.
                              Thank you for offering a different angle. I was not seeing the question in that light , and now makes much more sense . I appreciate you taking the time to re explain it to me voxpops . Good luck to you if you are still searching !

Comment

Working...
                              X