Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything But The Blaze -- Madison (Nine Mile Hole)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post

THAT IS A GREAT DESCRIPTION!

That spring would be the spot to start walking back into the forest to look for the blaze.

The description talks about the bend across from the Fenn rock. If you haven't seen this video of the Fenn rock, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I_oNHCZNFo
    Yes, that rock is directly across from the gradual bend described in the article. The guy in the video thought it might be the blaze, so he looked in the river water directly below the rock.

However, it could be that the blaze marks the river crossing location. After you've crossed completely is when you look down (in the forested area) your quest to cease.

"If you've been wise and found the blaze" (i.e. If you were wise earlier on, when you found the blaze that told you where to cross)

On the other hand, that rock is visible on Google Earth, and Forrest said:

"Rocking chair ideas can lead one to the first few clues, but a physical presence is needed to complete the solve. Google Earth cannot help with the last clue."

So the blaze was more likely something in the forest directly above the chest.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 05-01-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Here's a video at Nine Mile Hole that I would watch in an effort to pick a good crossing point. It begins by showing Upper Nine Mile and then pans over to Lower Nine Mile. I think I would do it. Estimated date of video is late July, or early August, 2017.

Last edited by Vertigo; 05-02-2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I chuckled when I saw the location where Cynthia was recently riding with the bison. It's Nine Mile Hole.

She was taking it in the canyon down, not far, but too far to walk. I guess that's why she was cycling.

I wonder if she threw her bicycle in the water high after crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post
          I chuckled when I saw the location where Cynthia was recently riding with the bison. It's Nine Mile Hole.

She was taking it in the canyon down, not far, but too far to walk. I guess that's why she was cycling.

I wonder if she threw her bicycle in the water high after crashing.

Cynthia finds out whose home the Madison Valley really is.
          the Home of Brown

Comment

The Fenn Rock at (upper) Nine Mile Hole Pull Out:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4 Fenn Rock at Nine Mile.JPG Views:	271 Size:	550.0 KB ID:	281812
            Last edited by Must Listengood; 07-15-2021, 11:20 PM.

Comment

The Fenn Rock at (upper) Nine Hole Pull Out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Fenn Rock at Nine Mile.JPG
Views:	2014
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	281812
              Unfortunately, not Brown, but cool nonetheless!

Comment

great solve.
                I had a similar location. the link is here.
                Must Listengood has added the location of the rock pictured with forrests dad and a video.
                https://www.hintofriches.com/forum/t...ge4#post281470

lol, i was to slow.
                lol, again see above.
                Last edited by Fennder Bender; 05-01-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Here is a reminder of some of the things Jack said about the spot originally:

"I figured out the location where he wished to die (and thus, where his treasure was) back in 2018, but it took me many months to figure out the exact spot. This treasure hunt was the most frustrating experience of my life. There were a few times when I, exhausted, covered in scratches and bites and sweat and pine pitch, and nearing the end of my day’s water supply, sat down on a downed tree and just cried alone in the woods in sheer frustration."

Well, sitting on a downed tree certainly fits. Finding the exact spot fits. It looks quite difficult to move around in the forest there, and the number of downed trees (which I think are heavy loads, because Forrest said so in a video) would make it more difficult. Scratches? Absolutely. Bites? I'm sure. Pine pitch? I suppose. But this would not be an easy search. Exhaustion makes sense.

"Getting to the wilderness location where the chest was is not dangerous in the conventional sense of the word, but it very quickly can be when people do not take basic precautions or go out in the wrong conditions. It is not an appropriate place to become a tourist attraction."

This makes sense in context of having to cross the river and having to hike into a thick forest with downed trees and no trails. Basic precautions? I don't know, waders? bear spray? water? Appropriate clothing and shoes? Not crossing the river where it's deep or too swift? I think these could all fit. This would not be a good place for tourists. However, I fail to see how this area is going to be destroyed, so that is a minus one. Don't get that.

Any ideas on why Jack thinks the place could be destroyed (assuming upper 9 mile hole is indeed the spot)?

Comment

Here is a reminder of some of the things Jack said about the spot originally:

"I figured out the location where he wished to die (and thus, where his treasure was) back in 2018, but it took me many months to figure out the exact spot."
                    I never saw this. This does make me think the interview where f says, ‘I want to die at my favorite...’ is where he screwed up and it’s his favorite fishing hole.

To me, that means either Nine Mile Hole or Slough Creek are the spot, as that’s what I’ve always thought f’s two favorite fishing holes are.
                    Last edited by minotaur_moreno; 05-01-2021, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by minotaur_moreno View Post

I never saw this. This does make me think the interview where f says, ‘I want to die at my favorite...’ is where he screwed up and it’s his favorite fishing hole.

To me, that means either Nine Mile Hole or Slough Creek are the spots, as that’s what I’ve always thought f’s two favorite fishing holes are.
                      Absolutely. I feel I am being pretty objective here - I have nothing vested in this and I didn't come up with it. But it is fairly obvious that the "I want to die at my favorite..." was a slip up, and since the same reporter got bit by Forrest's dog at his home, and he gave us a quote about Forrest worrying about getting Alzheimer's, both of which Jack mentioned, that this was Jack's slip up and this is how he solved it. He KNEW that Forrest's favorite fishing hole was the right location and he tirelessly searched until he found it, even without a good blaze being present.

We have already seen that many, some posting here, searched this area, as you would expect. Probably a small percentage went across the river directly from the Fenn rock, and without a good blaze, apparently no one was able to pin point it. It took Jack a systematic pattern using GPS to cover the whole area. Only a person who was super SUPER confident would take the time and effort to do that at one single spot.

I am open to other fishing holes, but Nine Mile has the best evidence so far. When I hear Forrest talk about Slough Creek, it seems more just like a fishing spot he visited a couple of times and had an encounter with a Moose and some quick sand. It sounds a little more like he was frustrated with the spot than it being a place to die. But I would be open to any evidence presented that shows it was his special place to die. I simply want to figure this out.
                      Last edited by Must Listengood; 05-01-2021, 08:01 PM.

Comment

We have already seen that many, some posting here, searched this area, as you would expect. Probably a small percentage went across the river directly from the Fenn rock, and without a good blaze, apparently no one was able to pin point it. It took Jack a systematic pattern using GPS to cover the whole area. Only a person who was super SUPER confident would take the time and effort to do that at one single spot.
                        My guess is that a tiny, miniscule percentage crossed the river here. Maybe none at all. The poem is a dare. Forrest says he went alone in there. Can you? Are you brave enough to cross the Madison? Are you wise enough to choose the correct crossing point? If so, he gives you title to the gold. Most were simply too meek to cross. I don't mean that as an insult; they just weren't brash or brazen enough to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

My guess is that a tiny, miniscule percentage crossed the river here. Maybe none at all. The poem is a dare. Forrest says he went alone in there. Can you? Are you brave enough to cross the Madison? Are you wise enough to choose the correct crossing point? If so, he gives you title to the gold. Most were simply too meek to cross. I don't mean that as an insult; they just weren't brash or brazen enough to try.
                          I know for a fact, f has a book of his favorite fishing holes and Tony Dokoupil saw it!

Comment

Here is the section of Rambling's and Rumblings written by Forrest that talks about 9 Mile Hole. This eliminates the (often despicable) filter of Tony Dokoupil about the subject.

They used to lock the gates to Yellowstone Park at 1000 at night. No one could get in or out after that time. So dad would take the car just inside the gate and park it so we could get up at 0500 and go fishing, before the gate opened. The Madison River in the park had three good fishing holes; the Slow Bend (five miles up,) the Nine Mile Hole (you guessed it, nine miles,) and the Water Hole, (about eleven miles). These were our secret names and the great fishing spots were also TOP SECRET. It was important that we beat my grandfather (old Charlie Simpson) to these fishing places, especially the Nine Mile Hole that had room for only one fisherman. It was not just a casual thing, but real competition that sometimes bordered on insanity. There were arguments about it. Old Charlie’s emotions on that subject were usually overstimulated. In 2007 I wrote this for Peggy. It was published in The West Yellowstone News
                            Flywater

What follows is the passionate story of Flywater in TTOTC, which ends in:

And when my tackle box is closed at last, and the Cadis hatch is gone, I will rest through all of time and space, pillowed down and scented in, and with a smile that comes from remembering the special things that brought me to that final place, many of which were knowing you were there, somewhere, waiting for me.

This is strong evidence that 9 mile hole was the place he wanted to die, his favorite... fishing hole.

Comment

Here is the section of Rambling's and Rumblings written by Forrest that talks about 9 Mile Hole. This eliminates the (often despicable) filter of Tony Dokoupil about the subject.

They used to lock the gates to Yellowstone Park at 1000 at night. No one could get in or out after that time. So dad would take the car just inside the gate and park it so we could get up at 0500 and go fishing, before the gate opened. The Madison River in the park had three good fishing holes; the Slow Bend (five miles up,) the Nine Mile Hole (you guessed it, nine miles,) and the Water Hole, (about eleven miles). These were our secret names and the great fishing spots were also TOP SECRET. It was important that we beat my grandfather (old Charlie Simpson) to these fishing places, especially the Nine Mile Hole that had room for only one fisherman. It was not just a casual thing, but real competition that sometimes bordered on insanity. There were arguments about it. Old Charlie’s emotions on that subject were usually overstimulated. In 2007 I wrote this for Peggy. It was published in The West Yellowstone News
                              Flywater

What follows is the passionate story of Flywater in TTOTC, which ends in:

And when my tackle box is closed at last, and the Cadis hatch is gone, I will rest through all of time and space, pillowed down and scented in, and with a smile that comes from remembering the special things that brought me to that final place, many of which were knowing you were there, somewhere, waiting for me.

This is strong evidence that 9 mile hole was the place he wanted to die, his favorite... fishing hole.
                              Did anyone search near the Slow Bend? Based on my estimate it would be about 9 miles from Madison Junction. That seems to fit with TFTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

Did anyone search near the Slow Bend? Based on my estimate it would be about 9 miles from Madison Junction. That seems to fit with TFTW.
                                That's a very valid point. But I would need to see some additional evidence that Forrest found it special. I totally agree about TFTW though. But my other solution to that is that we are supposed to Begin it at Ojo Caliente which is ten miles from Nine Mile Hole. Of course Madison Junction is simpler, but Ojo Caliente fits TTOTC to me the most of any.

Comment

Working...
                                X