Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything But The Blaze -- Madison (Nine Mile Hole)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

From p 317 of Barbarisi’s book:
    “I was not long out of my car, making my way through some difficult terrain, and suddenly I saw something in the distance, and it was this blaze.”

What do you think Jack meant by “difficult terrain”? Is that how you would describe crossing the Madison River? Or do you think it might describe your hike from Seven Mile Bridge? You indicated that there was some difficult terrain. Did you encounter it soon after leaving your car?
    Hiking in the woods directly around lower Nine Mile Hole could be accurately described as difficult. You're pushing through low brush at times and climbing over deadfall. But most of the first half of the hike from Seven Mile Bridge is easy. So it would not be accurate to describe that terrain as difficult only being "not long out of my car" if one were hiking .

A water crossing is certainly difficult terrain. But I never crossed the Madison directly so I can't comment on how that would feel.
    Rudy Green[e]
    "First to the Miracle Log"
    whereis.thehomeofBrown.com

Comment

• How do all of you with the Madison/ Nine Mile Hole solves, who also believe Jack, reconcile his lack of drinking water? Is the copious water in that area not filterable for some reason?

Comment

• Originally posted by miracleman View Post
        Jack said he thought Forrest was being poetic and that “canopy of stars” wasn’t a hint. Though it’s a strange turn of phrase for something that was found during the day.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	R7431f7a9c20c58d8d36e36af3dd342bf.png
Views:	394
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	292809

Comment

• Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post
          How do all of you with the Madison/ Nine Mile Hole solves, who also believe Jack, reconcile his lack of drinking water? Is the copious water in that area not filterable for some reason?
          You can drink from the Madison using a water filter. At least I did.

Jack's list of items be brought in his backpack did not include a water filter. I'm going to assume that he hiked in with bottled water.
          Rudy Green[e]

Comment

• Originally posted by thehomeofBrown.com View Post

Jack's list of items be brought in his backpack did not include a water filter. I'm going to assume that he hiked in with bottled water.
            Ok, thanks for the answer. It just seems really forced to me. If I was really dehydrated and didn’t bring filtration with me into the wilderness for some dumb reason, yet was still around cleanish water, I guess I’d drink it anyway and deal with consequences later. The only time I would run out of water is if I was miles from it and didn’t bring enough.

Comment

I think Rose Livingstone brought up an interesting question.
              If Jack ran out of water then why didn’t he just go back to his car and get some? Certainly anyone who was smart enough to solve the poem was smart enough to have extra water in their car.

This implies that either his car was a long distance away from where he was searching, or else there was some kind of obstacle between his search area and the car that he didn’t want to deal with more than he had to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

I think Rose Livingstone brought up an interesting question.
                If Jack ran out of water then why didn’t he just go back to his car and get some? Certainly anyone who was smart enough to solve the poem was smart enough to have extra water in their car.

This implies that either his car was a long distance away from where he was searching, or else there was some kind of obstacle between his search area and the car that he didn’t want to deal with more than he had to.
                I wonder what kind of obstacle might prevent Jack from easily returning to his car for water? Like maybe a cold River crossing? Hmmm.

Here's something else... Jack saw the fake blaze "not long out of my car." The fake blaze is less than 1000' from the real blaze. And Jack found the fake blaze only after he expanded his original search boundaries. Ergo: The chest wasn't hidden far from from the parking spot.

How do you suppose most searchers would react if the correct "general solve" was posted publicly for all to see?
                Rudy Green[e]

Comment

I wonder what kind of obstacle might prevent Jack from easily returning to his car for water? Like maybe a cold River crossing? Hmmm.

Here's something else... Jack saw the fake blaze "not long out of my car." The fake blaze is less than 1000' from the real blaze. And Jack found the fake blaze only after he expanded his original search boundaries. Ergo: The chest wasn't hidden far from from the parking spot.

How do you suppose most searchers would react if the correct "general solve" was posted publicly for all to see?
                  Most would find it reasonable, straight forward and simple, but it wouldn't seem that way because of all of the denial/conspiracy barkers lingering.

In regards to the day's supply of water thing....that may have been thrown into the article to throw off the scent of the chest only being 2-300' from where he parked. I happen to think he only gave up/was tired for the day vs. running out of water and having no choice but to stop.

Comment

The best place to hide something is in plain sight.

That applies not only to the treasure chest, but also to the poem solution.

The best place to hide the real solve was amidst the vast amount of poor solves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

The best place to hide something is in plain sight.

That applies not only to the treasure chest, but also to the poem solution.

The best place to hide the real solve was amidst the vast amount of poor solves.
                      What made the 9 mile hole solve work is the effective barrier of the Madison river and extremely difficult terrain on the other side. I started the hunt, casually at first, in 2016, and got heavily into it in 2017. By that time, I figured it was useless to try and find it along the Madison or Firehole. Those places had been thoroughly searched before me. Or so I thought. I never stopped to consider that there might be areas close to the road that had not been searched.

But I also have to say, I thought the poem was "better" than this. Like all crazy searchers, I still love my basic solve and think its better than the real one. Oh it has a canyon, Brown trout, etc., but I thought I was supposed to solve riddles. I thought Forrest was using some redneck wordplay humor. Some odd spellings maybe. Some clever word meanings. I'm not talking about going too far down a rabbit hole or some random association - just some simple riddle solving and wordplay.

For example, I thought " your quest to cease" when read by a Texan would be "your cuesta cease". Of course a cuesta is a ridge with a gentle slope on one side and a steep cliff on the other. So "look quickly down your cuesta cease" meant to look down from a steep bank or cliff.

How about "take the chest and go in peace"? Well, a key is a "go in piece". So I thought it meant "take the chest (your chest the body part) and the key". It's a riddle. It's redneck wordplay - I thought Forrest was all over that. Apparently not.

But I am content knowing how much Forrest cared about Yellowstone, the Firehole, and Madison rivers, and his early years there. Something that impressed him for life to the point that he wished to return there and die. It is indeed a very special place, and this treasure hunt was the thrill of a lifetime that will likely never happen again. Forrest was one of a kind, and the world is a lot duller without him and his treasure.

Comment

More than a few searchers within 500 feet also supports the idea that the chest wasn't hidden far from the parking spot.

The Nine Mile Hole area is by far the best solve that I’ve seen, but there’s still a couple questions that need to be answered: hoB and the river crossing.

I considered Mt Haynes as a possibility for hoB but couldn’t figure out how to get it to work. it’s possible that hoB has something to do with brown trout that only Jack was able to figure out. Maybe the largest brown trout ever caught along the Madison came from Nine MIle Hole and it was so famous among anglers that they named it Brown.

The river crossing is a bigger problem. Did we ever figure out what time of year Forrest hid the treasure? If he hid it in September that could hint that he waited until the river was low. Jack didn’t have the luxury of waiting until September. He had to retrieve the chest before someone else beat him to it. When the river crossing is explained I’ll be convinced that this is the general area.

As far as how most searchers would react if the correct "general solve" was posted publicly for all to see, I think the answer is obvious. About 40% of the people who post on THOR think the treasure is still out there and another 40% think it was found in a different state than Wyoming. In other words most people wouldn't believe it.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Vertigo;n281615](Repost of an earlier thread, which I deleted. I broke this down into sections to preserve all the images.)

this picture/view looks very familiar.
                          hmmmm let me see.
                          where have seen this view before?
                          i know.
                          i remember now.
                          maybe the photo view is just a little to far back, but...
                          i could be mistaken.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25023.png Views:	26 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	293011 Click image for larger version  Name:	xmarks.png Views:	23 Size:	320.6 KB ID:	293012

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_25023 - Copy.png Views:	23 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	293013
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	b.png
Views:	604
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	293056
                          Last edited by Fennder Bender; 05-24-2021, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Was jack’s backpack big enough to hold waders? Can’t remember the pic of it. It seems like that would be important for a crossing, unless he went over 7-mile bridge and up the other side of the river.

why he wouldn’t want to go back for water: Hiked to Trout Lake today (awesome!), which was steep for a short way and went through spruce and Douglas fir forest. At the lake, the trout spawn in the inflow creek mid-May to mid-June (but there weren’t any there today; probably too early with all this cold). So there are grizzlies here.... I wouldn’t want to go back through it if I didn’t have to.

As for the napping and solitude, there were meadows up slope from the lake and creek that were just lovely. Views of mountains, quiet, secluded, even though there was a trail 100 yards away.... could be something like that over by the Madison, maybe? I’m thinking of the TTOTC chapter? w/Jackie Kennedy and ff just feet from the street where people were walking and never knew they were there.

Comment

• @RedneckGirl, ff said he hid the TC ‘in the summer.’

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady V View Post
                                Was jack’s backpack big enough to hold waders? Can’t remember the pic of it. It seems like that would be important for a crossing, unless he went over 7-mile bridge and up the other side of the river.

why he wouldn’t want to go back for water: Hiked to Trout Lake today (awesome!), which was steep for a short way and went through spruce and Douglas fir forest. At the lake, the trout spawn in the inflow creek mid-May to mid-June (but there weren’t any there today; probably too early with all this cold). So there are grizzlies here.... I wouldn’t want to go back through it if I didn’t have to.

As for the napping and solitude, there were meadows up slope from the lake and creek that were just lovely. Views of mountains, quiet, secluded, even though there was a trail 100 yards away.... could be something like that over by the Madison, maybe? I’m thinking of the TTOTC chapter? w/Jackie Kennedy and ff just feet from the street where people were walking and never knew they were there.
                                Thanks Lady V!

Since I'm not familiar with waders, I don't know if Jack's backpack was big enough to hold them. If the water crossing was close to where he parked then maybe he just carried the waders down to the water and put them on when he got to the river bank. After he crossed the river he could have hidden them in the bushes.

I'm not familiar with Trout Lake so I had to look it up. It sounds like a nice location. Maybe there is an area like that along the Madison. I still don't understand how Jack was able to take a nap in grizzly country.

I found the part of the Jackie Kennedy story in TFTW that you were referring to: "There was a small walking tour of tourists standing, huddled as the guide expounded the merits of the quaint Santa Fe architecture. They were totally oblivious to our presence , only five feet or so away." Like you said, it could be a hint that the treasure was hidden near a popular area.

Comment

Working...
                                X