Forrest's Slip Up - Chasing Indy is Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forrest's Slip Up - Chasing Indy is Right

I have to say that after reviewing the evidence, I believe Candy (Chasing Indy) is right and has discovered one of Forrest's slip ups that helped Jack. I'd say the odds are extremely high this is what really helped Jack get to, and stick with, the right area.

Just a quick review if you haven't seen her findings, and she should get all the credit: (EDIT Max23 started a thread about this last October and they should get the credit for that along with others I'm sure. I am late to the party for sure)

First read this paragraph from Jack - medium article:

"For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me. He never paid to advertise his hunt, yet seemingly every media outlet wanted a piece of him, and he still managed to stay sharp as a tack and “keep his secret where” till the very end."

Now read this excerpt for an article, written by Taylor Clark for the California Sunday Magazine (I believe in 2015 - he went to Forrest's home and interviewed him with photos and it's an excellent article that I don't think I ever bothered to read before - I should have):

"Out in the sculpture garden, Fenn beckoned me over and gestured toward the trunk of a thick white poplar tree. “See the F carved in there? That’s my initial.” The letter was barely legible now, a gray-brown knot that I never would have noticed if he hadn’t pointed it out. Fenn waved distastefully at another blur of gray, farther up the trunk. “There were other F’s there, but they’re obliterated now.”

Such ravages of time are often on his mind now that he’s nearing his 85th birthday, though Fenn remains matter-of-fact about the prospect of his days coming to an end. “If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ...” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue."

https://story.californiasunday.com/t...-forrest-fenn/

Edit:
    Jack also used the term "dogged reporters" that came to Forrest's house, and this is the reporter that was bitten by Forrest's dog, as Taylor Clark describes in the article. The THOR thread on this that goes back to Oct 2020 was brought up recently, originally started by Max23. https://www.hintofriches.com/forum/t...gged-reporters

Well, that was a slip up. And based on the context of Alzheimer's, and "dogged reporters", there is a high probability that this is one that Jack is talking about. I had wondered what Jack was talking about in that Medium article when he said "for a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer's", because I had never really seen much about that from Forrest anywhere - but right here it is and right next to a slip up. Hey, this was a "clue" left to us by Jack it appears (along with "dogged reporters).

So there you have it - one of the two major slip ups by Forrest. He wanted to die at his favorite... The obvious context is "favorite fishing hole". So where was Forrest's favorite fishing hole?

This is still up for debate I think until someone finds the hard evidence that is surely out there, but the current thinking by Candy, based on Tony Dokoupil's article, is Nine Mile Hole on the Madison. I feel that Jack found solid evidence of where his favorite fishing hole was, and my guess is that this became the "Home of Brown" in his solve.

But in any case, Chasing Indy is right - this is one of the slip ups - it has to be.

So if you have solid evidence of his favorite fishing hole - PLEASE SHARE.
    Five years ago, a legendary art dealer filled a chest with treasure and hid it somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. Why?
    Last edited by Must Listengood; 05-01-2021, 10:13 PM.

It is likely fishing hole, but his favorite spot along the Madison to get rocks for marble shaping might need to be considered. He was the marble king...goes back to him feeling he deserves a throne, as mentioned at the beginning of the Moby Dickens interview. Dying and having history forget about you was a driving force for him I'd say. It all relates to the French soldier. It could really be both his fav fishing hole and the marble rock spot, as it's the same area. The Greeny Deep just east of the Wyoming border is a prime candidate....where there's a slow bend and the water goes deep green. Look in that area and it literally looks like a soldier looking down at it. (Trees along MT and WY border there)

Comment

Originally posted by CardanoBlockchain View Post
      It is likely fishing hole, but his favorite spot along the Madison to get rocks for marble shaping might need to be considered. He was the marble king...goes back to him feeling he deserves a throne, as mentioned at the beginning of the Moby Dickens interview. Dying and having history forget about you was a driving force for him I'd say. It all relates to the French soldier. It could really be both his fav fishing hole and the marble rock spot, as it's the same area. The Greeny Deep just east of the Wyoming border is a prime candidate....where there's a slow bend and the water goes deep green. Look in that area and it literally looks like a soldier looking down at it. (Trees along MT and WY border there)

I like Greeny Deep - I thought that had real promise - but it's in Montana and Jack said all the clues are in Wyoming.

Here is Nine Mile Hole, another prime candidate area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nine Mile Hole.JPG
Views:	707
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	281203

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post

I like Greeny Deep - I thought that had real promise - but it's in Montana and Jack said all the clues are in Wyoming.

Here is Nine Mile Hole, another prime candidate area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nine Mile Hole.JPG
Views:	707
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	281203
        Nine Mile Hole has a lot of promise. I guess the area I thought was Greeny Deep isn't. Here is the spot I think Forrest got agate from. I feel like the blaze might be white marble. http://imgur.com/TilqTWB

Comment

I have to say that after reviewing the evidence, I believe Candy (Chasing Indy) is right and has discovered one of Forrest's slip ups that helped Jack. I'd say the odds are extremely high this is what really helped Jack get to, and stick with, the right area.

Just a quick review if you haven't seen her findings, and she should get all the credit:

"For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me. He never paid to advertise his hunt, yet seemingly every media outlet wanted a piece of him, and he still managed to stay sharp as a tack and “keep his secret where” till the very end."

Now read this excerpt for an article, written by Taylor Clark for the California Sunday Magazine (I believe in 2015 - he went to Forrest's home and interviewed him with photos and it's an excellent article that I don't think I ever bothered to read before - I should have):

"Out in the sculpture garden, Fenn beckoned me over and gestured toward the trunk of a thick white poplar tree. “See the F carved in there? That’s my initial.” The letter was barely legible now, a gray-brown knot that I never would have noticed if he hadn’t pointed it out. Fenn waved distastefully at another blur of gray, farther up the trunk. “There were other F’s there, but they’re obliterated now.”

Such ravages of time are often on his mind now that he’s nearing his 85th birthday, though Fenn remains matter-of-fact about the prospect of his days coming to an end. “If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ...” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue."

Well, that was a slip up. And based on the context of Alzheimer's, there is a high probability that this is one that Jack is talking about. I had wondered what Jack was talking about in that Medium article when he said "for a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer's", because I had never really seen much about that from Forrest anywhere - but right here it is and right next to a slip up. Hey, this was a "clue" left to us by Jack it appears.

So there you have it - one of the two major slip ups by Forrest. He wanted to die at his favorite... The obvious context is "favorite fishing hole". So where was Forrest's favorite fishing hole?

This is still up for debate I think until someone finds the hard evidence that is surely out there, but the current thinking by Candy, based on Tony Dokoupil's article, is Nine Mile Hole on the Madison. I feel that Jack found solid evidence of where his favorite fishing hole was, and my guess is that this became the "Home of Brown" in his solve.

But in any case, Chasing Indy is right - this is one of the slip ups - it has to be.

I agree that a favorite fishing hole is odds on favorite for treasure location but, regarding slip-ups I just want to clear something up for the community. It is confirm by Jack via email that both slip ups are In a video and both of those videos are found on Dal’s old site.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

I agree that a favorite fishing hole is odds on favorite for treasure location but, regarding slip-ups I just want to clear something up for the community. It is confirm by Jack via email that both slip ups are In a video and both of those videos are found on Dal’s old site.
            OK, that is interesting. Can you give source information on the email? And is it possible there was video of this interview for the California Sunday Magazine, which was done at Forrest's home?

Comment

That big area/valley between Harlequin Lake and 9 Mile hole is where Buffalo live/hang out. Maybe that is the HOB and you put in downstream from that like at 9mile hole.

He said "as i've gone alone in there"
              some of those fishing spots can only hold one fisherman. Jack was adamant that it was a FF alone time special place. Sure his brother and father knew about the fishing hole but they didn't fish right next to each other in the same hole if it only fit one person.

His father would park his car inside the park boundary so/maybe they could get a jump on the fishing holes before the other fishermen.

Comment

How do you go from I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ... to it’s a fishing hole? or where he collected agate? That’s a huge leap.
                To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post
                  That big area/valley between Harlequin Lake and 9 Mile hole is where Buffalo live/hang out. Maybe that is the HOB and you put in downstream from that like at 9mile hole.

He said "as i've gone alone in there"
                  some of those fishing spots can only hold one fisherman. Jack was adamant that it was a FF alone time special place. Sure his brother and father knew about the fishing hole but they didn't fish right next to each other in the same hole if it only fit one person.

His father would park his car inside the park boundary so/maybe they could get a jump on the fishing holes before the other fishermen.
                  He wrote “As I have” not “As I’ve”....important and distinct difference
                  To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
                    How do you go from I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ... to it’s a fishing hole? or where he collected agate? That’s a huge leap.
                    Mad libs! It could be anything.
                    stretch of grass
                    tree stump
                    parking spot
                    strip joint
                    McDonalds

How can you be so certain it’s a fishing hole?

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post

He wrote “As I have” not “As I’ve”....important and distinct difference
                      What do you see as the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post

Mad libs! It could be anything.
                        stretch of grass
                        tree stump
                        parking spot
                        strip joint
                        McDonalds

How can you be so certain it’s a fishing hole?
                        While I get the point, (there isn't definitive evidence here), none of those options you mention are plausible in context. The context is going back to "that place" - the place that was special to him. The overwhelming evidence is that the special place is in a forest next to a stream and under a pine tree. It's true that he might have said "favorite spot" or something like that, but why did he feel the need to stop then? I thought he could have said "favorite swimming hole", but as Candy points out, if you do a search and review of Forrest's words, he doesn't say favorite swimming hole anywhere, but he does use favorite fishing spot.

It is possible the Alzheimer's reference is a coincidence with Jack's description. And it is possible he was going to say something besides favorite fishing spot. I will concede that. But I would also say that it's more than a hunch that favorite fishing spot is what he meant.

Comment

While I get the point, (there isn't definitive evidence here), none of those options you mention are plausible in context. The context is going back to "that place" - the place that was special to him. The overwhelming evidence is that the special place is in a forest next to a stream and under a pine tree. It's true that he might have said "favorite spot" or something like that, but why did he feel the need to stop then? I thought he could have said "favorite swimming hole", but as Candy points out, if you do a search and review of Forrest's words, he doesn't say favorite swimming hole anywhere, but he does use favorite fishing spot.

It is possible the Alzheimer's reference is a coincidence with Jack's description. And it is possible he was going to say something besides favorite fishing spot. I will concede that. But I would also say that it's more than a hunch that favorite fishing spot is what he meant.
                          I concur

Comment

Just a quick review if you haven't seen her findings, and she should get all the credit:

Well, that was a slip up. And based on the context of Alzheimer's, there is a high probability that this is one that Jack is talking about. I had wondered what Jack was talking about in that Medium article when he said "for a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer's", because I had never really seen much about that from Forrest anywhere - but right here it is and right next to a slip up. Hey, this was a "clue" left to us by Jack it appears.

This does not suffice for a slip-up; he does not really give away specific information., which would be required to call it a slip-up. The fact that you need to guess in order to fill the blank proves my point.

But I agree that it is an interesting quote. But you possibly got it pretty wrong. If he was thinking about something specific here then it is most reasonably not a fishing hole, but more likely a tree. He wanted to die under a pine tree, and there are numerous arguments that can be made to support the idea that the blaze is a tree. I think it is more reasonable to assume now, that the blaze might be his favorite tree. But I am just speculating, because this comment of his is just too vague.
                            Last edited by rimsbrock; 04-30-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

OK, that is interesting. Can you give source information on the email? And is it possible there was video of this interview for the California Sunday Magazine, which was done at Forrest's home?
                              The source of the Jack email is me and I have no reason to mislead the community (my intent is only to help and crowd solve) or believe Jack was being dishonest. But just to be safe his exact words are quoted here.

“I've said both slip-ups were in media appearances available on Dal's media page”

so media appearances may not mean videos but they can both be found on Dal’s site per Jack. I’m not familiar with the California Sunday Magazine piece.........happy hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X