Forrest's Slip Up - Chasing Indy is Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
    I have to say that after reviewing the evidence, I believe Candy (Chasing Indy) is right and has discovered one of Forrest's slip ups that helped Jack. I'd say the odds are extremely high this is what really helped Jack get to, and stick with, the right area.

Just a quick review if you haven't seen her findings, and she should get all the credit:

First read this paragraph from Jack - medium article:

"For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me. He never paid to advertise his hunt, yet seemingly every media outlet wanted a piece of him, and he still managed to stay sharp as a tack and “keep his secret where” till the very end."

Now read this excerpt for an article, written by Taylor Clark for the California Sunday Magazine (I believe in 2015 - he went to Forrest's home and interviewed him with photos and it's an excellent article that I don't think I ever bothered to read before - I should have):

"Out in the sculpture garden, Fenn beckoned me over and gestured toward the trunk of a thick white poplar tree. “See the F carved in there? That’s my initial.” The letter was barely legible now, a gray-brown knot that I never would have noticed if he hadn’t pointed it out. Fenn waved distastefully at another blur of gray, farther up the trunk. “There were other F’s there, but they’re obliterated now.”

Such ravages of time are often on his mind now that he’s nearing his 85th birthday, though Fenn remains matter-of-fact about the prospect of his days coming to an end. “If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ...” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue."

https://story.californiasunday.com/t...-forrest-fenn/

Well, that was a slip up. And based on the context of Alzheimer's, there is a high probability that this is one that Jack is talking about. I had wondered what Jack was talking about in that Medium article when he said "for a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer's", because I had never really seen much about that from Forrest anywhere - but right here it is and right next to a slip up. Hey, this was a "clue" left to us by Jack it appears.

So there you have it - one of the two major slip ups by Forrest. He wanted to die at his favorite... The obvious context is "favorite fishing hole". So where was Forrest's favorite fishing hole?

This is still up for debate I think until someone finds the hard evidence that is surely out there, but the current thinking by Candy, based on Tony Dokoupil's article, is Nine Mile Hole on the Madison. I feel that Jack found solid evidence of where his favorite fishing hole was, and my guess is that this became the "Home of Brown" in his solve.

But in any case, Chasing Indy is right - this is one of the slip ups - it has to be.

So if you have solid evidence of his favorite fishing hole - PLEASE SHARE.
    ML, there has been lots of conversation on the blogs about the 'my favorite...' comment going back years ago. Maybe Candy didn't know that because she just came into the search very recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Max23 View Post

ML, there has been lots of conversation on the blogs about the 'my favorite...' comment going back years ago. Maybe Candy didn't know that because she just came into the search very recently.
      OK, but I have some follow up to that. Can you give examples of where it was discussed? On Dal's? Was it linked on Dal's? Is this discussion that Jack would have seen (since he started in 2018)?

I thought Chasing Indy has been around a while, but I'm not certain how long. That really has little to do with whether this is Jack's slip up though.

Comment

The Madison was never part of my solve but it does have a viable HoB in Tuff Cliff, although I believe Tuff Cliff doesn't fit in with a WWWH there.

Comment

Originally posted by Macahol View Post
          The Madison was never part of my solve but it does have a viable HoB in Tuff Cliff, although I believe Tuff Cliff doesn't fit in with a WWWH there.
          You don't feel Brown trout is a viable HOB? Would not the best fishing hole on the Madison be the Home of Brown trout? They tend to live in these deeper holes and that's what makes these places special and secret fishing holes. Do you not agree that Forrest capitalized animal species in other examples?

Comment

Must Listengood If we're going off of Jack's statement, he claims the hoB clue is the most "puzzle like." I think it might be something more precise than Brown trout.

One idea from my 2017 notes is that hoB might be connected to picking the correct "pull out." There's at least a dozen of them along the river. Maybe we need to "put in" at the correct "pull out"? Which of these pull outs has something unique about them? The only note I made is that one of them had a brown sign labeling it the "Mount Haynes Overlook." I think it's the 8th pull out when driving from Madison Junction. Haynes could also be pronounced in a childish way as "heinous" (hay-ness).

Comment

Originally posted by thehomeofBrown.com View Post
              Must Listengood If we're going off of Jack's statement, he claims the hoB clue is the most "puzzle like." I think it might be something more precise than Brown trout.

One idea from my 2017 notes is that hoB might be connected to picking the correct "pull out." There's at least a dozen of them along the river. Maybe we need to "put in" at the correct "pull out"? Which of these pull outs has something unique about them? The only note I made is that one of them had a brown sign labeling it the "Mount Haynes Overlook." I think it's the 8th pull out when driving from Madison Junction. Haynes could also be pronounced in a childish way as "heinous" (hay-ness).
              could be the pull out right after the big open valley that's full of brown colored bison. That area is the bison's home.

Comment

Has anyone ever found a "pull out" associated with an owl?

Comment

I can agree with that approach, as it makes good sense. HOB indicating the correct pullout is exactly what I have in mind also. However, I would point out that HOB being Nine Mile Hole works for this. In other words, go to the best Brown trout fishing spot down the canyon, also known as 9 mile hole, and put in below it. That is very specific and leads you to the right put in (or pullout). If I try and think like Forrest in the journey down the canyon, I can certainly see how he might be thinking this way, and Jack said that was key in figuring this thing out.

But I also respect other ideas that might lead us to the right pull out. Just past where the Buffalo roam might be an answer. How does Mount Haynes relate to Brown exactly? Anyway, I think you are thinking along the right track and hope to hear more ideas.

Comment

Must Listengood If we're going off of Jack's statement, he claims the hoB clue is the most "puzzle like."
                    I'm thinking about that a bit. What was his exact quote on that? Wasn't it something like HOB was the only time he felt he might be solving a riddle? Brown as Brown trout could still be a bit of a riddle, no? Just thinking out loud. Happy to hear other ideas.

Comment

Jack willing one day we will all know where Forrest hid his treasure.
                      Until then.....
                      Imo, for sure Forrest's spot was a fishing hole. Any serious fisherman would agree. ( if you don't fish, go fishing!).
                      Here are 2 location suggestions.

1. See the attached picture of the Madison river with Forrest casting his fly line.
                      -this is near the land slide and old cabin.
                      -this location for me, came from the "Peter Campbell" solve. Posted on Dal's site and on "peter campbells fine arts" web site very near the "find date". it was then quickly removed from both.
                      -the casting towards the "spot" is my idea.

2. This one is fun....
                      The head in Cynthias note is the big rock that forrests dad is standing in front of holding some sweet trout. Its a picture from Fenns childhood..
                      -I have very old pics of my kin holding fish and me as well from my childhood and they are a treasure to me.
                      -the rock has 3 distinct lumps like the drawing with lots of natural dots.
                      - the clever young man from IIWII ( youtube channel) has a nice video of this rock location. check that video out.
                      - adding to his video idea, as a fisherman, i would say indeed, with out question it would be worth the cold to wade across the river to the other side ( island?) and get the fish that don't get gotten on the rock side of the river.
                      - on the rock and road side with easy access the fish are wise and not easily tempted to bite.
                      - no one is going to stumble across the treasure on the other side!

Just some thoughts......
                      The water is always bluer on the other side of the river.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Fennder Bender; 05-02-2021, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fennder Bender View Post
                        Jack willing one day we will all know where Forrest hid his treasure.
                        Until then.....
                        Imo, for sure Forrest's spot was a fishing hole. Any serious fisherman would agree. ( if you don't fish, go fishing!).
                        Here are 2 location suggestions.

1. See the attached picture of the Madison river with Forrest casting his fly line.
                        -this is near the land slide and old cabin.
                        -this location for me, came from the "Peter Campbell" solve. Posted on Dal's site and on "peter campbells fine arts" web site very near the "find date". it was then quickly removed from both.
                        -the casting towards the "spot" is my idea.

2. This one is fun....
                        The head in Cynthias note is the big rock that forrests dad is standing in front of holding some sweet trout. Its a picture from Fenns childhood..
                        -I have very old pics of my kin holding fish and me as well from my childhood and they are a treasure to me.
                        -the rock has 3 distinct lumps like the drawing with lots of natural dots.
                        - the clever young man from IIWII ( youtube channel) has a nice video of this rock location. check that video out.
                        - adding to his video idea, as a fisherman, i would say indeed, with out question it would be worth the cold to wade across the river to the other side ( island?) and get the fish that don't get gotten on the rock side of the river.
                        - on the rock and road side with easy access the fish are wise and not easily tempted to bite.
                        - no one is going to stumble across the treasure it on the other side!

Just some thoughts......
                        The water is always bluer on the other side of the river.
                        Here is a link to the video of the supposed rock that Forrest's Dad was standing in front of in the picture (from the 1940s?) in TTOTC. Very interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I_oNHCZNFo

I believe, based on the video taken at 9 mile hole, and the picture in TTOTC, the rock is located here on Google Earth:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fenn Rock at Nine Mile Hole.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	809.3 KB
ID:	281476

This appears to be located at the UPPER 9 mile hole. It's amazing that rock is still there after 70 years, if that is indeed the rock, but it sure looks like it, given where it is. I think we should be looking at this area, across the river from this rock, perhaps up one of those mostly dry creeks with all of the fallen trees. The pull out would be the put in below the HOB.

Again the real issue is that its not very secluded, but if you walk up one of those creeks, I think it would feel pretty secluded very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post

Here is a link to the video of the supposed rock that Forrest's Dad was standing in front of in the picture (from the 1940s?) in TTOTC. Very interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I_oNHCZNFo

I believe, based on the video taken at 9 mile hole, and the picture in TTOTC, the rock is located here on Google Earth:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fenn Rock at Nine Mile Hole.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	809.3 KB
ID:	281476

This appears to be located at the UPPER 9 mile hole. It's amazing that rock is still there after 70 years, if that is indeed the rock, but it sure looks like it, given where it is. I think we should be looking at this area, across the river from this rock, perhaps up one of those mostly dry creeks with all of the fallen trees. The pull out would be the put in below the HOB.

Again the real issue is that its not very secluded, but if you walk up one of those creeks, I think it would feel pretty secluded very quickly.
                          So take that rock and spin a 500 foot radius around it and the area across the river is your search area.

Comment

The 'my favourite...' comment has been discussed on here before as a contender as the slip-up, as well as the link to Jack mentioning Alzeimers. Probably Chasing Indy didn't read all that.

I tend to agree that it is a subtle clue, though I just can't get my head around to believing the place Forrest wanted to die was a fishing hole. At least I think there is more to the story than just fishing. Forrest clearly loved fishing, but everything Jack's said has suggested something linked to death, something so meaningful to Forrest's take on life that he would want to lay his bones there too. How does this comment from Jack about the treasure place fit with a fishing hole? 'It reflects his point of view and his emotions on a journey that was important to him." To become a favourite fishing place you go there lots of times, and you wouldn't call it a 'journey' when you visit the place. What is his point of view and emotions about dying at a scenic place that he used to visit regularly to catch trout?

I'm not saying it's right but I'd go for 'favourite battle site' 'favourite fossil collecting spot' or 'favourite place I found arrowheads' rather than a fishing spot, just because those ideas have a link to the past. Death and becoming one with nature would seem to fit Forrest's ideas. Didn't he once say that he wanted to lie on the earth and turn to earth? That is potentially about his point of view and emotions. So anything about fossils or early human relics works well because Forrest's bones would become fossils like the signs of long ago people that used to fascinate him. I think the mummy cave scrapbook is an interesting insight into Forrest's attitude to death. He went there to copy being that ancient long-dead human and seemed to have a connection to him.

Wouldn't becoming bones and leaving a sign of life in a place noted for bones and/or human history be more of a 'journey' than a place with happy memories of fishing?

That's interesting new information that the Forrest slip-ups were media on Dal's site. It's all preserved in the internet archive but I can't find a specific media section? Did he mean this section perhaps?

FORREST SPEAKS

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post

Mad libs! It could be anything.
                              stretch of grass
                              tree stump
                              parking spot
                              strip joint
                              McDonalds

How can you be so certain it’s a fishing hole?
                              McDonalds is too obvious, due to its golden arches, in my opinion. Do you remember the Wendy's advertising of "hot and juicy"??

Comment

I totally missed the "dogged reporters" connection that was brought out in a thread from 2020 that just got pulled up. This reporter is the one that got bit by Forrest's dog, as written in his story (go read it) and Jack wrote "he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house," . I have to say COME ON MAN! Jack is telling us this is the slip up. That dogged reporter comment combined with the Alzheimer's reference has to mean this is the one. I guess some saw this back in Oct, 2020.

Really, how can you not believe Jack is telling us this is the slip up we either missed or didn't take seriously?

Here is the reporters story about the dog:

"When I pulled through the front gate of the latter compound on a cool, sunny day this March, a large tan poodle greeted my rental car with bared teeth. I pulled to a stop in front of the house and tried to get out, making soothing noises. The dog yapped me back into the car, scrabbling up on the door to snap at my head behind the window. I made another attempt just as Fenn, clad in a light-blue button-down and jeans, began shambling out onto the gravel to greet me. I was promptly rewarded with a bite on the back of my thigh."

Jack determined that Forrest wanted to die at his favorite fishing hole. Jack determined that this was the (probably Madison, still open to any other possibility that has evidence) river. Jack searched the best fit spot (9 mile hole?) until he found it, because he was virtually sure he was right due to the slip ups. That's how this all went down. He found it because he had staying power and stuck with it.

I think we can find the spot the same way, basically.

It would be interesting to know if Jack told Shannon that he was searching on the Madison River. She said she knew within a ten mile "rectangle" which fits pretty well with the Madison canyon, when starting at Madison Junction.

Comment

Working...
                                X