No announcement yet.

Forrest's Slip Up - Chasing Indy is Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF specifically had Dal go to Madison junction and take pictures of the water / riverbed there for the cover of his second book. Then in his forward he talked about his trip down the Madison river fishing alone.

Gee, do you think FF might like the Madison river a little bit?

Comment

Think I’ll go fishing in my secret spot, still to early though.
      Take a fly rod, your chances will be better to catch a fish then to find a secret spot. Nobody’s left to tell ya your correct, only the fish know at this point.
      Good luck in your fishing trip and the water is so loud you won’t here the grizzlies, leave your fish 6 feet away to social distancing...

Comment

He liked the Madison from age 9, Forrest wouldn’t fish around a bunch of tourist, that river has been crowded and over fished for years, Forrest moved on, he did say he wanted to be 20 miles from people, that sure ain’t the Madison. But good luck on your quest.

Comment

This thread begs the question . . . How deep is a Hole ?
          Nine miles ?
          Finding Jessica

Comment

Here is a 9 mile hole possible scenario. It's just a guess of course, but I could see how this could fit. In this scenario, the HOB is 9 mile hole and the put in is a little downstream. The water high refers to the deep hole at the river curve and the heavy loads are the downed trees (ref: see video on his logging job - he refers to them as heavy loads). The no paddle up creek is a dry drainage area may help to create the 9 mile hole. If the treasure was back in the forest about 200 feet, someone who walks along the Madison bank could be 200 footers. Forrest's one way trip to the treasure spot would be about 1200 feet, or around a quarter mile. You would need to cross the Madison where it is shallower downstream.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Nine Mile Hole treasure spot zoom.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	964.2 KB
ID:	281405
            Last edited by Must Listengood; 04-30-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
              Here is a 9 mile hole possible scenario. It's just a guess of course, but I could see how this could fit. In this scenario, the HOB is 9 mile hole and the put in is a little downstream. The water high refers to the deep hole at the river curve and the heavy loads are the downed trees (ref: see video on his logging job - he refers to them as heavy loads). The no paddle up creek is a dry drainage area may help to create the 9 mile hole. If the treasure was back in the forest about 200 feet, someone who walks along the Madison bank could be 200 footers. Forrest's one way trip to the treasure spot would be about 1200 feet, or around a quarter mile. You would need to cross the Madison where it is shallower downstream.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Nine Mile Hole treasure spot zoom.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	964.2 KB
ID:	281405
              The red pin might be a bit misleading. I've heard that section of the river described as Lower Nine Mile Hole. Upper Nine Mile Hole, as you might imagine, is a tad further upstream.

There are significantly more large boulders in the river at Upper Nine Mile Hole, which may be the heavy loads, rather than the trees you've pointed out. You may need to expand the right side of your search box.

Having said that, I always wondered about that opening in the trees that you've highlighted. I also wondered about the white dot on the north bank, directly opposite the opening. Is it a fire pit or something? It's almost like the dot marks the crossing location and the opening in the trees is directly across.

I summarized my complete thoughts on the Madison in a thread called Everything But The Blaze -- No Subterfuge

https://www.hintofriches.com/forum/t...-no-subterfuge

If interested, I would love to hear your thoughts, critiques, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

The red pin might be a bit misleading. I've heard that section of the river described as Lower Nine Mile Hole. Upper Nine Mile Hole, as you might imagine, is a tad further upstream.

There are significantly more large boulders in the river at Upper Nine Mile Hole, which may be the heavy loads, rather than the trees you've pointed out. You may need to expand the right side of your search box.

Having said that, I always wondered about that opening in the trees that you've highlighted. I also wondered about the white dot on the north bank, directly opposite the opening. Is it a fire pit or something? It's almost like the dot marks the crossing location and the opening in the trees is directly across.

I summarized my complete thoughts on the Madison in a thread called Everything But The Blaze -- No Subterfuge

https://www.hintofriches.com/forum/t...-no-subterfuge

If interested, I would love to hear your thoughts, critiques, etc.
                I went through your solve on your thread. I like it.

I think you may be right. It is certainly possible it could be upstream a bit. That would make sense also, and I like your heavy loads idea. Forrest used the words heavy loads talking about cut trees, so that works for me too. It's easy to see how Jack might have had these same questions and why it might have taken some BOTG to help him hone in on the right area.

Good question about the white dot. But I think I might work on a scenario slightly upstream as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
                  I have to say that after reviewing the evidence, I believe Candy (Chasing Indy) is right and has discovered one of Forrest's slip ups that helped Jack. I'd say the odds are extremely high this is what really helped Jack get to, and stick with, the right area.

Just a quick review if you haven't seen her findings, and she should get all the credit:

First read this paragraph from Jack - medium article:

"For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me. He never paid to advertise his hunt, yet seemingly every media outlet wanted a piece of him, and he still managed to stay sharp as a tack and “keep his secret where” till the very end."

Now read this excerpt for an article, written by Taylor Clark for the California Sunday Magazine (I believe in 2015 - he went to Forrest's home and interviewed him with photos and it's an excellent article that I don't think I ever bothered to read before - I should have):

"Out in the sculpture garden, Fenn beckoned me over and gestured toward the trunk of a thick white poplar tree. “See the F carved in there? That’s my initial.” The letter was barely legible now, a gray-brown knot that I never would have noticed if he hadn’t pointed it out. Fenn waved distastefully at another blur of gray, farther up the trunk. “There were other F’s there, but they’re obliterated now.”

Such ravages of time are often on his mind now that he’s nearing his 85th birthday, though Fenn remains matter-of-fact about the prospect of his days coming to an end. “If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ...” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue."

https://story.californiasunday.com/t...-forrest-fenn/

Well, that was a slip up. And based on the context of Alzheimer's, there is a high probability that this is one that Jack is talking about. I had wondered what Jack was talking about in that Medium article when he said "for a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer's", because I had never really seen much about that from Forrest anywhere - but right here it is and right next to a slip up. Hey, this was a "clue" left to us by Jack it appears.

So there you have it - one of the two major slip ups by Forrest. He wanted to die at his favorite... The obvious context is "favorite fishing hole". So where was Forrest's favorite fishing hole?

This is still up for debate I think until someone finds the hard evidence that is surely out there, but the current thinking by Candy, based on Tony Dokoupil's article, is Nine Mile Hole on the Madison. I feel that Jack found solid evidence of where his favorite fishing hole was, and my guess is that this became the "Home of Brown" in his solve.

But in any case, Chasing Indy is right - this is one of the slip ups - it has to be.

So if you have solid evidence of his favorite fishing hole - PLEASE SHARE.
                  I don't think it was favorite fishing hole he was referring to. In the article by Taylor Clark, I saw -- for the first time -- what appeared to be a small confirming hint about the location of the hidey spot.

Comment

Originally posted by CardanoBlockchain View Post
                    It is likely fishing hole, but his favorite spot along the Madison to get rocks for marble shaping might need to be considered. He was the marble king...goes back to him feeling he deserves a throne, as mentioned at the beginning of the Moby Dickens interview. Dying and having history forget about you was a driving force for him I'd say. It all relates to the French soldier. It could really be both his fav fishing hole and the marble rock spot, as it's the same area. The Greeny Deep just east of the Wyoming border is a prime candidate....where there's a slow bend and the water goes deep green. Look in that area and it literally looks like a soldier looking down at it. (Trees along MT and WY border there)
                    I would've dug a little deeper if I read the book prior to my last BOTG. I've always wanted a marble table. So many layers to unearth here.
                    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Comment

Wow, that place looks SO serene, what a special place. I bet you can see mountains, smell piñon pine, hear rushing water in the distance, and even see 18 wheelers buzz on by as they blast their loud horns. Yup, this must be the one place that Fenn dreamed about for more than 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Milan Joe View Post
                        Wow, that place looks SO serene, what a special place. I bet you can see mountains, smell piñon pine, hear rushing water in the distance, and even see 18 wheelers buzz on by as they blast their loud horns. Yup, this must be the one place that Fenn dreamed about for more than 30 years.
                        I think that is a valid criticism. However, eliminating the Madison because there is a highway of tourists close by might be going too far. I have mixed feeling about it, but again, you have a good point. I never would have considered the Madison between West Yellowstone and the Madison junction partly for this reason. There's no way to get too far off the highway without a considerable hike.

Perhaps we need a longer hike much deeper into the forest than this scenario. Also, this was all a lot different in the 1940s, which is how Forest remembered it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ROLL TIDE View Post
                            This thread begs the question . . . How deep is a Hole ?
                            Nine miles ?
                            Maybe once you find Jessica, she can show you

Comment

I feel bad for gimp bison.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

I agree that a favorite fishing hole is odds on favorite for treasure location but, regarding slip-ups I just want to clear something up for the community. It is confirm by Jack via email that both slip ups are In a video and both of those videos are found on Dal’s old site.
                                ERMAGERD! What's Jack's favorite brand of beer? I'd better stop buying any other kind. What's his favorite brand of fish hook? It sure seems to have worked on a lot of ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X