Forrest's Slip Up - Chasing Indy is Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rimsbrock View Post

This does not suffice for a slip-up; he does not really give away specific information., which would be required to call it a slip-up. The fact that you need to guess in order to fill the blank proves my point.

But I agree that it is an interesting quote. But you possibly got it pretty wrong. If he was thinking about something specific here then it is most reasonably not a fishing hole, but more likely a tree. He wanted to die under a pine tree, and there are numerous arguments that can be made to support the idea that the blaze is a tree. I think it is more reasonable to assume now, that the blaze might be his favorite tree. But I am just speculating, because this comment of his is just too vague.
    Well, I've been "pretty wrong" before, so yeah. I can't take any credit for finding this either, so I don't really have anything vested in it. But I will say that I find the idea that Forrest was going to say "favorite tree" quite unconvincing. There would be no need for him to even stop his sentence - he's told us he wanted to die under a tree more than once. And I don't know of any record of Forrest having a favorite tree.

But i appreciate all the critical arguments - that's what this needs to see if it flies.

Comment

Ive always felt it was the madison,and favorite fishing place. We go thtu there twice a year and its just beautiful. And wasnt there a scrapbook? Where he was said somthing along the lines of closing his tackle box for the last time,and hoping Peggy was somewhere there to meet him? That would indicate fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post

Well, I've been "pretty wrong" before, so yeah. I can't take any credit for finding this either, so I don't really have anything vested in it. But I will say that I find the idea that Forrest was going to say "favorite tree" quite unconvincing. There would be no need for him to even stop his sentence - he's told us he wanted to die under a tree more than once. And I don't know of any record of Forrest having a favorite tree.

But i appreciate all the critical arguments - that's what this needs to see if it flies.
        I say don't worry if it's a slip up or not. Just worry about whether it fits the poem and TTOTC. They're the only things you need, Forrest told us.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

The source of the Jack email is me and I have no reason to mislead the community (my intent is only to help and crowd solve) or believe Jack was being dishonest. But just to be safe his exact words are quoted here.

“I've said both slip-ups were in media appearances available on Dal's media page”

so media appearances may not mean videos but they can both be found on Dal’s site per Jack. I’m not familiar with the California Sunday Magazine piece.........happy hunting.
          Thanks for that. I don't think "media appearances" necessarily means there was video. It may well mean an article that was generated by a personal appearance at Forrest's home. Dal's site had a lot of links to both media videos and articles.

If someone has access to Dal's old site, it would be good to see if the California Sunday Magazine article was linked there.

Comment

Thanks for that. I don't think "media appearances" necessarily means there was video. It may well mean an article that was generated by a personal appearance at Forrest's home. Dal's site had a lot of links to both media videos and articles.

If someone has access to Dal's old site, it would be good to see if the California Sunday Magazine article was linked there.
            Agree.

Comment

I have to say that after reviewing the evidence, I believe Candy (Chasing Indy) is right and has discovered one of Forrest's slip ups that helped Jack. I'd say the odds are extremely high this is what really helped Jack get to, and stick with, the right area.

Just a quick review if you haven't seen her findings, and she should get all the credit:

First read this paragraph from Jack - medium article:

"For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me. He never paid to advertise his hunt, yet seemingly every media outlet wanted a piece of him, and he still managed to stay sharp as a tack and “keep his secret where” till the very end."

Now read this excerpt for an article, written by Taylor Clark for the California Sunday Magazine (I believe in 2015 - he went to Forrest's home and interviewed him with photos and it's an excellent article that I don't think I ever bothered to read before - I should have):

"Out in the sculpture garden, Fenn beckoned me over and gestured toward the trunk of a thick white poplar tree. “See the F carved in there? That’s my initial.” The letter was barely legible now, a gray-brown knot that I never would have noticed if he hadn’t pointed it out. Fenn waved distastefully at another blur of gray, farther up the trunk. “There were other F’s there, but they’re obliterated now.”

Such ravages of time are often on his mind now that he’s nearing his 85th birthday, though Fenn remains matter-of-fact about the prospect of his days coming to an end. “If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ...” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue."

https://story.californiasunday.com/t...-forrest-fenn/

Well, that was a slip up. And based on the context of Alzheimer's, there is a high probability that this is one that Jack is talking about. I had wondered what Jack was talking about in that Medium article when he said "for a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer's", because I had never really seen much about that from Forrest anywhere - but right here it is and right next to a slip up. Hey, this was a "clue" left to us by Jack it appears.

So there you have it - one of the two major slip ups by Forrest. He wanted to die at his favorite... The obvious context is "favorite fishing hole". So where was Forrest's favorite fishing hole?

This is still up for debate I think until someone finds the hard evidence that is surely out there, but the current thinking by Candy, based on Tony Dokoupil's article, is Nine Mile Hole on the Madison. I feel that Jack found solid evidence of where his favorite fishing hole was, and my guess is that this became the "Home of Brown" in his solve.

But in any case, Chasing Indy is right - this is one of the slip ups - it has to be.

So if you have solid evidence of his favorite fishing hole - PLEASE SHARE.
              I agree , Candy should get ALL of that credit . She is a razor sharp , articulate kinda gal !! And lets not forget the wonderful scholar and a gentleman Tony Dicksyourspulls . That guy is a class act and both are beyond reproach . Excellent post !!

The only thing I am unsure of , what is exactly the hint Candy pulled from the slip up ? In other words , how and what to does it relate ?

Comment

Here is a paragraph from Tony Dokoupil's article (I don't care for they guy at all, but he was with Fenn for a while and got access to Ramblings and Rumblings):

"No matter where they were, the Fenns were fishing, and their favorite locales—disclosed in the unpublished family history—have promise as well. The Madison River’s best spots to cast a line: “the Slow Bend (five miles up), the Nine Mile Hole (you guessed it, nine miles), and the Water Hole (about eleven miles).” The parentheses are all Fenn, as are the ALL CAPS, when he writes that these spots were “TOP SECRET,” especially Nine Mile Hole, because it could hold only one fisherman. Perhaps that’s a match to the opening line of Fenn’s treasure poem, “As I have gone alone in there.”"

So that is one source for Nine Mile Hole as the favorite spot - it basically comes straight from Fenn in Ramblings and Rumblings.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

What do you see as the difference?
                  A direct hit for ‘mine’, which years ago was hinted at by Fenn when he showed off his book of notes and such, the front page with ‘mine’, ‘all mine, ‘mine’, ‘still mine’ written over and over, all over the page. Does it matter? I’m not sure, but it is harder to get ‘Mine’ out of I’ve than from i have. Plus there’s @Anna Graham’s anagrams to consider too if you’re so inclined.

To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

"Such ravages of time are often on his mind now that he’s nearing his 85th birthday, though Fenn remains matter-of-fact about the prospect of his days coming to an end. “If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ...” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue."

If that's the slip up, it couldn't have helped much. Weren't lots of people looking around Fenn's old haunts? What favorite fishing hole (or whatever) wasn't known by anyone else?

Comment

Here is a paragraph from Tony Dokoupil's article (I don't care for they guy at all, but he was with Fenn for a while and got access to Ramblings and Rumblings):

"No matter where they were, the Fenns were fishing, and their favorite locales—disclosed in the unpublished family history—have promise as well. The Madison River’s best spots to cast a line: “the Slow Bend (five miles up), the Nine Mile Hole (you guessed it, nine miles), and the Water Hole (about eleven miles).” The parentheses are all Fenn, as are the ALL CAPS, when he writes that these spots were “TOP SECRET,” especially Nine Mile Hole, because it could hold only one fisherman. Perhaps that’s a match to the opening line of Fenn’s treasure poem, “As I have gone alone in there.”"

So that is one source for Nine Mile Hole as the favorite spot - it basically comes straight from Fenn in Ramblings and Rumblings.
                      I like this because Jack said FF did a disservice to the community by picking out the 9 clues and you should take/use the poem as a whole. If you take only the 9 clues you don't get the "As I've gone alone in there" line. Jack also emphasized alone in his conversation with Toby.

Comment

Originally posted by Macahol View Post
                        "Such ravages of time are often on his mind now that he’s nearing his 85th birthday, though Fenn remains matter-of-fact about the prospect of his days coming to an end. “If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite ...” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue."

If that's the slip up, it couldn't have helped much. Weren't lots of people looking around Fenn's old haunts? What favorite fishing hole (or whatever) wasn't known by anyone else?
                        Another fair point. But let's consider this for a second.

If Forrest had said "I will go back to that place and die at my favorite fishing hole", where would you have searched for the treasure? This is actually pretty convincing evidence that narrows things down, and if you KNOW it's at that spot, it will make you keep searching there until you finally find it, as Jack did. The difference is that Jack had tremendous confidence it was there and he probably had additional strong evidence (there was another slip up and then there were things he found BOTG). That gave him staying power. Few had that kind of staying power because the cost of searching the same area over and over didn't seem worth it, unless you had these solid confirmations.

So I think it helped a lot. It doesn't give you the exact spot, but probably along with another slip up, it gives you the right area and you can be confident. That's the theory anyway.

Comment

If Forrest had said "I will go back to that place and die at my favorite fishing hole", where would you have searched for the treasure? This is actually pretty convincing evidence that narrows things down, and if you KNOW it's at that spot, it will make you keep searching there until you finally find it, as Jack did. The difference is that Jack had tremendous confidence it was there and he probably had additional strong evidence (there was another slip up and then there were things he found BOTG). That gave him staying power. Few had that kind of staying power because the cost of searching the same area over and over didn't seem worth it, unless you had these solid confirmations.

So I think it helped a lot. It doesn't give you the exact spot, but probably along with another slip up, it gives you the right area and you can be confident. That's the theory anyway.
                          Well if that was the case then i wouldn't discount what he said here:
                          There are so many bits of history that I would like to find: a Clovis point between the ribs of a Mammoth, a letter written by my father to my mother before they were married, a special fishing spot on the Madison River that no one alive knows about but me. The list is as endless as the search. -ff

Comment

Originally posted by Macahol View Post
                            What favorite fishing hole (or whatever) wasn't known by anyone else?
                            It's interesting. Some are inclined to look for a fishing hole that is secret, or the least known. I'm inclined to look for one that is the most well known!

Same for other parts of the poem. It doesn't lead me to obscure warm waters. It leads me to the most well known warm waters!

When the poem presents choices, I always opt for "the most significant" one.

Comment

I believe one can acquire the necessary confidence from the subsequent clues in the poem. A confirming slip up by Forrest would be a nice bonus, but not necessary IMO.

Either way, Jack had way more staying power than many others who were in the area. Most of the 500 ft searchers went straight past the treasure. Some probably tarried in that 500 ft range, but weren't brave enough to take the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post

Well if that was the case then i wouldn't discount what he said here:
                                There are so many bits of history that I would like to find: a Clovis point between the ribs of a Mammoth, a letter written by my father to my mother before they were married, a special fishing spot on the Madison River that no one alive knows about but me. The list is as endless as the search. -ff
                                That's a great quote from Forrest. Thanks for pointing it out. It certainly tilts things toward the Madison and its more evidence that "favorite fishing hole" is what he meant to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X