Why would a searcher create a fake blaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

Yes, I think that's it. The fake blaze could have been double omegas or "FF" carved into a tree trunk. Both were commonly associated with Forrest.

I don't think it would have derailed Jack much, except to slow him down a bit while he checked the area under the fake.

The fake doesn't interest me nearly as much as the REAL blaze does.
    But see. What did it really slow him down by? So he took an extra 30 seconds? What I want to know is why on earth Jack would take the time to tell us of this story that obviously didn’t deter our finder.

Comment

I found a "fake" blaze in my search area too.... Several of them actually.... Not sure who made them or why... I sent Forrest a photo of one of them, a circle with a dot made of white stones on the ground.... He didn't reply..
      I've seen videos of searchers admitting to creating false blazes in the hopes of throwing off the competition... Others simply did it to mark an area as "searched"..... None of the fake blazes have been all that convincing... Any of them could have been easily removed.

Comment

Originally posted by searcher2342 View Post
        I fail to see the logic in a cruel searcher creating a fake blaze.

if you are the cruel searcher... why would you create a fake blaze in an area you yourself were searching in? All it does is add another flag post to that section of forest. And if it was recognizable enough for jack to classify it as a fake blaze- it means another searcher was 1000 ft from the chest and instead of finding it- they wasted their time creating a fake blaze...that does what exactly?

Ok, so I stumble upon your fake blaze. Nothing there. Oh well, on my feet go.

can anyone help me in understanding why on earth anyone would waste their time doing this? I’m at the point where I don’t believe this part of the story at all.
        It wasn't a searcher. It was a local fisherman that was getting tired of FF searchers digging around his favorite fishing spot, so he learned what they were looking for and made a fake blaze 1000 ft away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post

It wasn't a searcher. It was a local fisherman that was getting tired of FF searchers digging around his favorite fishing spot, so he learned what they were looking for and made a fake blaze 1000 ft away.
          If that’s how it went- why would jack hide that fact? Because fishing hole? I suppose so.

Man that fisherman must feel silly today(ever so slightly at least).

Comment

But see. What did it really slow him down by? So he took an extra 30 seconds? What I want to know is why on earth Jack would take the time to tell us of this story that obviously didn’t deter our finder.
            I suspect that it's plausible that hiJack was paid to hijack the hunt for a while . . . stalling/distracting folks from solving and searching while Covid is such a biggie. Some searcher(s), having been vaccinated,
            will be heading out to their search location(s) soonish, having never been fazed by the attempted paid task. In other words, they will be turning the hijacking off.
            Last edited by Old Pilot; 05-03-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Imeverybodynow View Post
              Why would they? Too many possibilities.
              why wouldn’t they is the question you should be asking!
              Okay, I'll ask (and answer).
              Why wouldn't they?
              It's too much trouble for too little reward. (I almost said "benefit". Hee hee!)

Comment

Originally posted by miracleman View Post
                Brings up a few other questions. Was the fake blaze the same type of thing as the real blaze? Why else would Jack think it was Forrest’s blaze? Unless it was an F or something that could easily be associated back with Forrest or if it was what Jack (and someone else) figured out the blaze to be.
                The fake blaze was easily associated with this treasure hunt, due to the location and character of the thing, although it wouldn't be much of a task to destroy -- or at least "undo" it. I'm not 100% convinced that it was totally unhelpful, though. I think it was hinting that someone seeing it was in the correct general area. But the thing may not be as durable as was implied. On the other hand, maybe Forrest never expected the goodies to be unfound for thousands of years. After all, he appeared to be a smooth-talking salesman for many years. As always, part of my opinion. P.S. Did you
                ever anagram "opinion"? I hope the answer is (and continues, for a long time, to be) "no".

Comment

It may be Jack's job to keep us reading and discussing whatever he creates. For $50,000 at $50 per hour, there may still be a lot of unearned money in play. No, I'm not accusing these numbers of being
                  accurate.

Comment

The "fake blaze" that I found has been there at least 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
                      The "fake blaze" that I found has been there at least 4 years.
                      The only reason I sent Forrest a photo of the circle of stone is because it appeared to be very old... Possibly even hundreds of years.... I thought it might be native American.... I couldn't determine the age of the others I found but they weren't durable enough to have been there for over a few years...

Comment

I, along with a few fellow searchers, left fake blazes in spirit of the chase. We left one in every place we looked.
                        Fenn obviously left his mark, in the form of a blaze, so we figured we should too.

The majority of these involved f's. There were a few running man blazes.

I would say there are about 13 fake ones out there that I was involved with.
                        Only two in Wyoming. I'm not going to disclose where these two are as I'm waiting for Jack to make to first move to confirm/deny if it was indeed one of the blazes I know of that he mistook. (Neither close to Slough Creek, but within 30 miles of Cody)
                        Last edited by djjmciv; 05-03-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Cruel = atrocious. Wonder who he means?

Comment

Originally posted by djjmciv View Post
                            I, along with a few fellow searchers, left fake blazes in spirit of the chase. We left one in every place we looked.
                            Fenn obviously left his mark, in the form of a blaze, so we figured we should too.

Only two in Wyoming. I'm not going to disclose where these two are as I'm waiting for Jack to make to first move to confirm/deny if it was indeed one of the blazes I know of that he mistook. (Neither close to Slough Creek, but within 30 miles of Cody)
                            *grabs popcorn*

Comment

Originally posted by djjmciv View Post

Did you leave one near Sage Creek?

Comment

Originally posted by miracleman View Post
                                Did you leave one near Sage Creek?
                                No, more in the direction towards the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                                X